Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They don't take spots but if that character didn't exist, that time spent would go to something else, either tweaking the game to make it better, adding more stages, or working on a different character. It's really pointless to argue the semantics of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...zero suit samus owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Didn't they animefy her, make her eyes/boobs bigger and make her cry and ask for help a lot, etc etc?

quote:

an attractive but stupid young woman, especially one with loose morals.

the word is kinda hosed up as a whole when you think about it (how dare this woman not be smart and also want to have sex) but that part there doesnt apply even to other M samus.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

...zero suit samus owns

empty quote

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The only way to solve this is to go back in time and assassinate Team Ninja to prevent Other M from ever being made

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

PantsBandit posted:

I guess I never really understood why ZSS needed to be a character in the first place. I mean obviously normal Samus is what everybody associates with the series. She really seems to have no purpose other than sex appeal. I mean if you like playing as her that's fine I'm just talking about why she was added in the first place.

I'm pretty sure they made ZSS and Sheik into separate characters this time around to even out the male to female ratio a bit. Which is why it's odd they still used the male AC Villager and Olimar as the main representatives of their respective franchises for now, even though those both have female equivalents now and Olimar is no longer the main protagonist of Pikmin. It's probably because they are a bit more recognizable, but I still expect they will include the female Villager and Britanny as alternates for them, just like how the male Wii Fit trainer is an alternate of the female one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

The only way to solve this is to go back in time and assassinate Ninja Theory to prevent Other M from ever being made
That'd prevent DmC from being made, not Other M. Other M was Team Ninja. Two completely separate companies. And yeah, the writing problems in Other M are Sakamoto's doing, Team Ninja just handled the actual making of the thing.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

There won't be silhouette issues because the 3DS has black outlines and the Wii U version is HD, so what does it matter.

I would think that having heavy outlines would look worse when the character is in profile?

While the Wii U is in HD having more visibility is still better in a visually busy game like Smash.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Excels posted:

The only way to solve this is to go back in time and assassinate Ninja Theory to prevent Other M from ever being made

That was Team Ninja, and I'm pretty sure just about everything TN did was at the behest of Sakamoto.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Excels posted:

1.) Ninja Theory ruined DMC, Not Metroid
2.) Sakamoto is to blame for Other M. Team Ninja had to follow his stupid orders.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

That'd prevent DmC from being made, not Other M. Other M was Team Ninja. Two completely separate companies.

wow maybe we should go back in time and just assassinate both of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

How far back in time? Because Ninja Gaiden Black was pretty cool.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Go back in time to assassinate and destroy all video games. It's the only way.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
But did they really have to give her heels?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I really hate the whole "character slot" argument when it comes to representation and roster choices. I doubt Rosalina directly "took" the slot from Waluigi. Little Mac was long overdue and didn't "steal" his slot from anyone else, yet there are people out there (though not in this thread) who hate that choice for only that reason. Wii Fit Trainer fulfills the "weird" niche that Sakurai always liked doing and probably doesn't factor in whether or not Mewtwo makes the cut.

I'll admit that my mind has drifted towards "What newcomers would make for an awesome CG trailer?" even though that's even more arbitrary. (Takamaru? With samurai and that catchy theme, yes. Yet another Ike/Roy replacement? Wouldn't excite me, but maybe FE fans.) But you can probably make a nice trailer from anyone. I just like imagining how cool the newcomer videos will look, because that's usually the highlight of whatever SSB news we get.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Andorra posted:

But did they really have to give her heels?

Her heels make her stronger.

Don't ask how that works

Color Printer posted:

Go back in time to assassinate and destroy all video games. It's the only way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Famous TV Dad posted:

I would think that having heavy outlines would look worse when the character is in profile?
Why only her character and not everyone else? Is there nothing iconic about her that would be recognizable from a distance? Because that makes the inclusion even more suspect, if it leads to visual confusion, and I don't think that having her breasts always center stage in poses makes for a more recognizable character from a distance. The Brawl pose would be plenty recognizable. This wasn't a decision made to improve visual clarity, it was a decision made for sex appeal, which I restate is WEIRD because it's loving polygons and wanting to jack it to polygons is weird as poo poo to me.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 24, 2014

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why only her character and not everyone else? Is there nothing iconic about her that would be recognizable from a distance? Because that makes the inclusion even more suspect, if it leads to visual confusion.

Is it only her character? Off the top of my head both Marth and Mario stand with their bodies fully facing the camera while looking to the side.

I have no opinion on whether having a skin tight space suit variation of an existing character is a good idea tho lmao

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

PantsBandit posted:

I guess I never really understood why ZSS needed to be a character in the first place.

Because that last section of Zero Mission was really cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

Is it only her character? Off the top of my head both Marth and Mario stand with their bodies fully facing the camera while looking to the side.
I don't know about Mario, but Marth's definitely fanservice for a certain audience. :v:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
...zero suit samus owns tho

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

I don't know about Mario, but Marth's definitely fanservice for a certain audience. :v:

if they were really trying to appeal to that demographic 90% of his model would be his beautiful face...

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
This thread right now reminds me of Moneyball. While some people talk about how good players/characters are in the actual game, lots of other people are focusing solely on their appearances. The bottom line is that ZSS is a fantastic character in Brawl, and will likely be a fantastic character again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

...zero suit samus owns tho

Agreed.

Please turn Dark Samus into a playable character so I can have three Samus' then make morph ball Samus a separate character so there can be a Samus-For-All Brawl.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

Her heels make her stronger.

Don't ask how that works

They're Rocket Heels.

Which could be the song/album title of a second-rate hair metal band if you squint.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Marth's poses are not great either, like you said. This pose is weak as poo poo for example, where's the line of action:

Having the characters face the camera just looks really awkward and results in awkward looking rigging.

e: Also in terms of line of action, Samus's new pose is actually going the wrong way, she's leaning way back instead of angling forward which doesn't really make sense. It's very DC Comics.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 24, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Famous TV Dad posted:

if they were really trying to appeal to that demographic 90% of his model would be his beautiful face...

Marth Organism Designed Only For Killing?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Obviously they need to make Marth's poses in a way that they can fit girl Marth in the same moveset, like male and female WFT

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Excels posted:

Marth Organism Designed Only For Killing?

Marth Organism Designed Only for Kawaii.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Excels posted:

Brawl ZSS was based entirely on Zero Mission. Her powers and her poses were based on her sprites. Which were functional.

Now she has noodle-limbs and huge breast-balloons. It is impractical.
Let's not pretend Zero Mission ZSS wasn't nearly as sexualized as she is now, either.

InterrupterJones posted:

This thread right now reminds me of Moneyball. While some people talk about how good players/characters are in the actual game, lots of other people are focusing solely on their appearances. The bottom line is that ZSS is a fantastic character in Brawl, and will likely be a fantastic character again.
Just because a thing was good doesn't mean there weren't bad things about it. The things that made ZSS fun to play were in spite of her dumb look, not because of it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

You can't judge an animation based on one frame. Well, you can, but it is not a fair assessment.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

DoctorWhat posted:

Marth Organism Designed Only for Kawaii.

Biological Intelligence Shoe Horned Into Entertainment

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There's a lot of stuff wrong with the new Zero Suit Samus design even if you look past the sexism. The fact that they gave her suit a gloss that makes it look like she came out of a Gamecube-era Sonic game really stands out to me as making her look awful.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
This conversation is almost as fun as the same one that occurs in the comic movie threads whenever a poster comes out with women in stupid poses. Goons seem simultaneously like the most ready to be offended by blatant sexism and the most likely to still spend their money on the product. We'll just complain about it first.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

JordanKai posted:

There's a lot of stuff wrong with the new Zero Suit Samus design even if you look past the sexism. The fact that they gave her suit a gloss that makes it look like she came out of a Gamecube-era Sonic game really stands out to me as making her look awful.

She even has the glossy texture in that Tomodachi Life ad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I think at the last second they should replace Marth with Excellus just to see the fangirl reaction

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Maybe she got her form fitting catsuit it made out of some new duty free space materials? Hard to say i wish i could ask sakurai

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I think at the last second they should replace Marth with Excellus just to see the fangirl reaction

They were both voiced by Spike Spencer...

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I actually kinda dig the gloss/neon shine her suit has, but maybe I just have really gaudy taste.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Alternate Wario costume, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the heels are cool because they seem to me like they jets in them to make her kicks stronger and the idea of Samus jet kicking someone in the face is hysterical.

• Locked thread