Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

Every Super Smash Bros. game has become a staple of a Nintendo console's library, and the fourth iteration will prove no different. Now on both home and portable, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS & Wii U are almost guaranteed system sellers. Having first been formally announced at E3 2013, the anticipation has built up more and more until today, April 8, when a Super Smash Bros. Direct was released, detailing the specifics (60 fps for 3DS version!) and giving release periods (see thread title).

With Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS coming out in the coming months, the time has come for a fresh start and a new thread. The old thread is here.

No, Waluigi is not playable. Please understand.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT SSBFN3DS/U

Characters

Returning:
Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Kirby
Samus Aran
Fox McCloud
Pikachu
Bowser
Pit
Captain Olimar
Luigi
Princess Peach
Toon Link
Sonic the Hedgehog
Marth
Princess Zelda
King Dedede
Lucario
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Ike
Mr. Game & Watch
Captain Falcon
Meta Knight

Now separate characters:
Zero Suit Samus
Sheik
Charizard

New:
Villager
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina and Luma
Little Mac
Greninja
Mii Brawler
Mii Swordfighter
Mii Gunner
Palutena
Pac-Man
Lucina
Robin
Shulk

Stages

Wii U:
Battlefield
Boxing Ring
Coliseum
Final Destination
Garden of Hope
Gaur Plain
Halberd (SSB:B)
Kalos Pokémon League
Mario Galaxy
Mushroom Kingdom U
Pac-Land
Palutena's Temple
Pilot Wings
Pyrosphere
Skyloft
Town and City
Windy Hill
Wii Fit Studio
Wily Castle
Star Fox stage

3DS:
3D Land
Arena Ferox
Balloon Fight
Battlefield
Boxing Ring
Brinstar (SSB:M)
Corneria (SSB:M)
Final Destination
Find Mii
Distant Planet (SSB:B)
Game Boy
Gaur Plain
Gerudo Valley
Golden Plains
Green Hill Zone (SSB:B)
Living Room
Mushroomy Kingdom (SSB:B)
Jungle Japes (SSB:M)
Pac-Maze
Prism Tower
Rainbow Road
Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Tortimer Island
Tomodachi Life
Unova Pokémon League
Wily Castle
Yoshi's Island (SSB:B)
Paper Mario stage

Online modes

Smash online with anyone, friend or not
Smashing with friends lets you use customizable movesets

For Fun - items, no Final Destination, only wins count
For Glory - no items, Final Destination Only, wins and losses count

Global Smash Power - determines how many players you are better than, as opposed to your rank overall.

Amiibo
Much like Skylanders and Disney Infinity, you can put little figurines near your controller and they come to life. They will be non-playable characters that will adapt to gameplay.

3DS Exclusives
Smash Run - Multiplayer Metroidvania where, after five minutes of exploring and getting power-ups, you fight each other.

MIIVERSE POSTINGS
From Monday to Friday, Sakurai will post a picture on Miiverse (later on smashbros.com). These can range anywhere from 'New character: Pac-Man' to 'Mario standing'. You never know what he'll post next, and that's half the excitement!

THINGS NOT TO DO IN THIS THREAD
Casual vs. competitive bitching. It's only a video game, guys. Also, we have a designate Project:M thread.

Oh, and talk about the first three games as well.

LINKS
Official website
Everyone loves a wiki

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Closed the old thread before I could post this. :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Adding Greninja instead of Hawlucha is the only bad thing I've heard about this game so far. So it looks pretty good!

Are you going to be able to play online with more than one person? It'd be nice to fight with 4 humans but still be able to play with my brother.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why did you make a new thread anyway? the old one wasn't that big or anything

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

And with that we can go back to discussing pseudo-confirmations of Falcon and Wario, Alfonzo edits, and the City Trial Metroidvania.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

For Fun - items, no Final Destination, only wins count
For Glory - no items, Final Destination Only, wins and losses count

I didn't watch the stream but this sounds like a really good way to keep things chill and a good compromise between E-SPORTS and the rest of us. Of course I'm getting the 3ds version only since I don't have a Wii U, so, really, who's really going to care there.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

You may want to update the OP to indicate that Zelda, Shiek, Samus, and ZSS are all distinct characters now.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't watch the stream but this sounds like a really good way to keep things chill and a good compromise between E-SPORTS and the rest of us.

Honestly that alone is probably the smartest thing they could've done for online play. Don't get me wrong, people are still going to cry for years and years about how Melee is better but I feel we've grown to tune those voices out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Internet Kraken posted:

Adding Greninja instead of Hawlucha is the only bad thing I've heard about this game so far. So it looks pretty good!

Are you going to be able to play online with more than one person? It'd be nice to fight with 4 humans but still be able to play with my brother.

Pokemon-wise, I just want a Grass starter in to balance the others out. Venusaur or Chesnaught would be just as good. If Blastoise joined in as a Mega, that'd be just fine.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I can't believe you'd close the thread immediately after I posted the only good joke I've ever made on these forums.

Internet Kraken posted:

You could do as such in Brawl, so chances are pretty likely.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

forbidden lesbian posted:

why did you make a new thread anyway? the old one wasn't that big or anything

I just thought, with the Direct coming out and all the new information, a new jumping off point was warranted.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I missed the direct thing and I've only just seen the website.

Why Greninja in particular?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

SilverSupernova posted:

And with that we can go back to discussing pseudo-confirmations of Falcon and Wario and the City Trial Metroidvania.

I think Smash Run is the thing I'm the most excited for. I spent hours and hours playing City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, and it's great to see a spiritual successor.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Pokemon-wise, I just want a Grass starter in to balance the others out. Venusaur or Chesnaught would be just as good. If Blastoise joined in as a Mega, that'd be just fine.

There will be no more Pokemon, other than maybe Jigglypuff, but I'm doubting it

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Really curious to see the changes to All-Star mode, considering ATs factor into them heavily now.

For those complaining about the heels on ZSS, they existed in Other M and were terrible, but at least they're now somewhat functional by being jets.

The Palutena fake-out got me good, and when the newcomer trailer showed the cloudy sky I expected it to be her because of it.

Love wire-frame Mac. Great costume, not just for unique look but for it's callback to the original arcade entry.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Captain Pissweak posted:

It's the first real ninja pokemon.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

No seriously, you shouldn't be doing that Sakurai. Save your arm for programming, not the Direct.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, so are Greninja and Charizard their own distinct characters, or are they part of Pokemon Trainer?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Pissweak posted:

Same reason Charizard is in instead of the other gen 1 starters; the internet loves him more.

Geostomp posted:

Sceptile would be pretty cool. Chesnaught would be a joke.

Geostomp posted:

It's the first real ninja pokemon.

Ninjask :colbert:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

Presumably to give a representative from the most current generation. As for why Greninja specifically, well Greninja rules.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, so are Greninja and Charizard their own distinct characters, or are they part of Pokemon Trainer?

Distinct

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Geostomp posted:

I want shaymin-sky :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pokemon Trainer is dead. Stay free mighty creatures. :allears:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Captain Pissweak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2SuYAjrdY

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lizard Wizard posted:

They're distinct. There are no more transformation characters (Shiek and Zero Suit Samus are distinct from Zelda and Samus, too.)

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Everyone is a distinct trainer. There are no character that transform like Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS, and Pokemon Trainer.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm personally hoping for Palutena and longshot-pick Bandana Dee.

Yeah, I know, no chance in hell on the latter. But he's been in all the recent Kirby games, has a pretty fleshed out moveset in Returns to Dream Land, and would explain DeDeDe losing his Waddle Dee projectile sponges.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:swoon: MEGA MAN IN A SMASH BROS GAME :swoon:

The one thing I wanted in Brawl. The one thing I didn't get in Brawl.

Everything I've ever dreamed of in a SSB game since I was 12 years old, playing the original N64 version. Now it is finally happening and I am so happy. :allears:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 9, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

Because it is probably the most popular new Pokemon from the most recent Pokemon game.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

yeah well [Pokemon] is cooler

:colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::colbert::catbert::colbert::colbert::colbert:

But serious, I'm still holding out for Raichu. Or Serperior.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah I wanted either Pangoro, Greninja, or maybe Hawlucha for fun. Or the sword pokemon.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

No more form change characters, so each character can have a full and powerful moveset. Also probably caused issues with the 3DS version, I remember from a Kotaku article suggesting the Koopa Kids that multi-characters were giving them issues.

I also wouldn't put Elecman as being the only assist trophy for Megaman. Sakurai has said in a few interviews Capcoms been very easy to work with and open to stuff - where as normally 3rd party coordination can be difficult because meeting what they want while also trying to do your own thing. The fact we saw the Metools and other Megaman forms shows Capcom is pretty onboard with anything, yet not a Badnik in sight!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mega Lucario, Mega Charizard, Greninja, it's like I'm actually playing ranked Pokemon battles online

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Level Slide posted:

But serious, I'm still holding out for Raichu. Or Serperior.

You'll get a DLC costume if you're lucky. Nintendo has made it clear for years now that it has never cared about Raichu.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Glory mode being FD-only is kinda lame since the tournament scene hasn't played exclusively on FD in...well, ever. Battlefield is more common, even in Melee.

Also the fact that you can be banned in For Fun mode because you overly targeted certain players is the most :psyduck: thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

you piece o f poo poo

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

Glory mode being FD-only is kinda lame since the tournament scene hasn't played exclusively on FD in...well, ever. Battlefield is more common, even in Melee.

Also the fact that you can be banned in For Fun mode because you overly targeted certain players is the most :psyduck: thing.

At least there's some variety with the FD now.

With everyone talking about which Poke they would have preferred, I would have loved Sylveon, but Greninja is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was Smash Run confirmed for online play? I know he said multiplayer but didn't know if that was online or not.

• Locked thread