Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, there is. M-series has much higher lag for whatever reason.

Is this based on the new M-series or the old ones though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StickFigs posted:

Is this based on the new M-series or the old ones though?

2013, no idea about the new ones.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

With the two TVs you listed, there is no 2014 version. Both top end TVs (F8500 and F8000) are carried over to this year. The only thing new Samsung added to the top end 1080p lineup is a curved 8000 series LCD.

I would also consider saving a grand and possibly trying out the Sony w850a while they are still in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850A-65-Inch-1080p-Internet/dp/B00ES5YZD6

The W900A would be the obvious choice in LCD if they were available in the size you are looking for, but they were 55" only. The W850A carries over most of what makes the W900A great, but in larger sizes.

One thing that sucks about the F8000 is that you are subject to panel lottery. Samsung sources two different suppliers for the panel and there's strong indications that some are better than others.

The F8500 is a strong contender as well. It's the brightest plasma ever made and probably the highest image quality display still readily available new today. You just have to decide if your viewing habits will be a problem for IR or ABL and whether or not the potential for buzzing could be an issue for you.

do we know what the difference is between the w850a and w850b? does the w850a have better dynamic range?

http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-w850b-premium-led-hdtv-zid27-KDL70W850B/cat-27-catid-2K-LED-HDTVs

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I'm wanting to get a 42 inch TV in £300 price range. The best I've found so far is Samsung UE42F5000 for right bang on £300 but I'm wondering if I can get anything better than that within or close to my price range?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MMD3 posted:

do we know what the difference is between the w850a and w850b? does the w850a have better dynamic range?

http://store.sony.com/69.5-diag-w850b-premium-led-hdtv-zid27-KDL70W850B/cat-27-catid-2K-LED-HDTVs

Reviews are looking OK so far compared to the w850a.

The biggest change is the w850a is triluminos and the w850b is not. So, the w850a is likely to have better color reproduction. Otherwise, I think the panels year to year are pretty similar. I see that it's still active 3d, so it's not using the cruddy IPS panel that's on the w950b. I've seen some mention that black levels are better on the w850b vs the w850a.

It seems to be a decent enough TV, just a bit pricey.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

bull3964 posted:

Reviews are looking OK so far compared to the w850a.

The biggest change is the w850a is triluminos and the w850b is not. So, the w850a is likely to have better color reproduction. Otherwise, I think the panels year to year are pretty similar. I see that it's still active 3d, so it's not using the cruddy IPS panel that's on the w950b. I've seen some mention that black levels are better on the w850b vs the w850a.

It seems to be a decent enough TV, just a bit pricey.

the price is comparable to the w850a though and it's a 70" as opposed to a 65"... would you still go for an w850a?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I recently purchased this TV along with a new speaker system and am in the process of setting it up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB9OTBU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TV stand doesn't have a space for a center channel, and is actually kind of tall at about 30" to the top. The bottom of the TV screen is about 33" off the ground, and when sitting my eye level is at about 40". What I'm considering doing is trying to find a shelf I can put on top of the TV stand to put the center speaker under, then putting the TV on top of that shelf. My only concern is I'll need about 7" of clearance for the center channel, so the bottom of the TV screen is going to be right at about eye level.

I'm wary about putting the TV up on another shelf that won't be physically attached to the TV stand, and also about the TV being mounted so high. Has anyone else had issues setting up their center channel, or have any ideas I haven't considered? Barring that, any recommendations for a TV platform that is between 12" and 15" deep, 24" and 48" wide, and provides about 7" of clearance underneath it?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

the price is comparable to the w850a though and it's a 70" as opposed to a 65"... would you still go for an w850a?

yeah, looks like the reviews (at least on amazon) of the w850b are not super favorable.. sounds like the w850a is still the winner.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What's the best calibration disk to use for calibrating colors? I tried the AVS forums disc and the Color/Tint screen and did what the instructions said but I have very muted, wrong-looking colors now. This may be because my tv lets me turn off Red and Green so I could get into "Blue only" mode but maybe it's not quite the same as using a filter.

I was looking at 'Spears & Munsil' or the disney 'World of Wonder' one. I really only need to fix the color though other settings I got to look good with AVS disc.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 22, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's more expensive, but I cannot recommend enough getting an entry level meter and calibration software. You can get Calman 5 Tutorial and a C3 meter for $149 and it's worth every penny to remove the ambiguity from the process. You can be sure to get every last bit of performance from your TV.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

sighnoceros posted:

I recently purchased this TV along with a new speaker system and am in the process of setting it up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB9OTBU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My TV stand doesn't have a space for a center channel, and is actually kind of tall at about 30" to the top. The bottom of the TV screen is about 33" off the ground, and when sitting my eye level is at about 40". What I'm considering doing is trying to find a shelf I can put on top of the TV stand to put the center speaker under, then putting the TV on top of that shelf. My only concern is I'll need about 7" of clearance for the center channel, so the bottom of the TV screen is going to be right at about eye level.

I'm wary about putting the TV up on another shelf that won't be physically attached to the TV stand, and also about the TV being mounted so high. Has anyone else had issues setting up their center channel, or have any ideas I haven't considered? Barring that, any recommendations for a TV platform that is between 12" and 15" deep, 24" and 48" wide, and provides about 7" of clearance underneath it?

I found myself in a similar situation and what I ended up doing was buying a box like table from ikea and cutting the sides down to about 8" and epoxying it back together. I also could'nt find what I needed anywhere so I made one! This may or may not work for you but it might give you some ideas. It looks factory made and is plenty strong enough to support my 60" tv and then some.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

bull3964 posted:

It's more expensive, but I cannot recommend enough getting an entry level meter and calibration software. You can get Calman 5 Tutorial and a C3 meter for $149 and it's worth every penny to remove the ambiguity from the process. You can be sure to get every last bit of performance from your TV.

That's kind of expensive considering I just bought a new HDTV though. I'd rather just get a good calibration disc that lets me do it by eye.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Or for software you can go with HCFR and a standard USB stick or DVD with test patterns (available from AVS forums) and any colorimeter. I got a Spyder 4*, appearently not the best choice but they are cheap enough and available at any big box store. Even a calibration with a so-so colorimeter is much better than a bunch of test patterns without the ability to measure color errors.

*= With HCFR it doesn't matter if you have the "TV" edition, they are all the same colorimeter.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 22, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

StickFigs posted:

That's kind of expensive considering I just bought a new HDTV though. I'd rather just get a good calibration disc that lets me do it by eye.

Well, that's the thing. The only color calibration you can do by eye is what you've already done. You can try getting a calibration disc with a blue filter and see if that gives you a better result than the built in blue filtering of your display, but there really aren't any other test patterns that will help further.

It really comes down to white balance and there's no way to properly calibrate that by eye unfortunately. The color and tint control are only the starting point. Your TV likely has a two point or 10 point white balance control and adjustment of all that properly will bring your white balance close to reference white of 6500k.

Now, what you can try is find a review of your TV that underwent pro calibration and try their settings and tweak from there. It won't be perfect, but it will be close to give you a starting point.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

NihilismNow posted:

Or for software you can go with HCFR and a standard USB stick or DVD with test patterns (available from AVS forums) and any colorimeter. I got a Spyder 4*, appearently not the best choice but they are cheap enough and available at any big box store. Even a calibration with a so-so colorimeter is much better than a bunch of test patterns without the ability to measure color errors.

*= With HCFR it doesn't matter if you have the "TV" edition, they are all the same colorimeter.

I found this one for ~$70: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TF3746/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Is it any good?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

I am really not in a position to recommend any colorimeter over another since i know really little about them. I have a Spyder 4 elite myself, from what i can tell the only difference between elite and express is the software, the device seems the same and they list it with the same specs. The spyder software sucks (for calibrating TV's) and HCFR is free.
I just know it got my TV looking much much better than i could dial it in by regular test patterns. And from reading around the Spyder 4 is not so bad although appearently for the price of a elite ($150-200) you can do better.

Maybe someone who actually knows about these things is reading along and can shed a light on this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I don't know a ton about any of the meters either. I just know that the C3 I got was generally well regarded in the prosumer space to get things to "good enough."

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Pulled the trigger on a used Spyder4Express. I figure the pro is probably just the same poo poo in a different box given how cheap camera and sensor technology is today. The price difference must be on account of the included software.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
After attempting calibration I'm not 100% happy with the VIZIO E550i-B2...

It seems like the colors are either washed out or too saturated with no happy medium, and the black level is kind of high. I heard that the VIZIO E600i-B3 uses a higher quality LCD, but I'm not interested in getting a BIGGER screen I was thinking the sweet spot for me would be around 48"-50".

I know the E550i-B2 is a good value but I my previous TV had a much nicer picture and it's hard to take a step down in quality even if the size is almost double. Are there any other sets in the 48"-55" range that offer a better picture with a ~32ms input lag?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

StickFigs posted:

Pulled the trigger on a used Spyder4Express. I figure the pro is probably just the same poo poo in a different box given how cheap camera and sensor technology is today. The price difference must be on account of the included software.

Can anyone confirm this being true?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

sellouts posted:

Can anyone confirm this being true?

Pro and elite are definitely the same as you can buy a software upgrade from Spyder to upgrade the Pro to Elite. You can also "upgrade" the Elite/Pro to the Spyder 4 tv. No such package exists for the express and it has a different colour body, but it seems unlikely that they would market 4 devices around the same price point where 3 share the same hardware (Elite,pro,TV) and they develop a 4th for the budget model. Of course it is possible the express are colorimeters that failed QA for the Elite and were "binned" lower (pure speculation).

Edit: Looking around i found some suggestions that the Spyder 4 express cannot be upgraded to elite/pro because it lacks the ambient light sensor.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 24, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How good is the spyder meter? My physicist friend is replacing his with some $700 meter because he was unhappy with the spyder and is bemoaning the fact that there are no calibrators around with $10k meters. :v:

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
This thread is mostly about TVs the size of garage doors but I'm in the market for a 22-24" set to go in my tiny student hovel hooked up to a PS3 and a HTPC.

Is there a better option than a Sony KDL24W605 that I'm missing? I can't find one and I've sunk a few hours of research in but if anybody's going to know they will probably read this.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Looking at mounting my Sony KDL55W900A on my wall. Anyone have any recommendations for a full motion wall mount?

I'm going to need to be able to tilt the screen up and down, as well as swing left and right. And I'll probably be moving it back and forth a decent amount. It won't stay in one place much. I will have my couch straight in front, and will want to angle it down some for better viewing. My nerdery station is off to the left, so I'll want to angle that way to watch TV while I'm in front of the computer. And to the right is my back window facing out to my patio. Kind of nice to sit outside in the summer, drinking a beer on the patio and watching a movie.

Finding a bunch of stuff online that seems like it would work, but pricing for this stuff is all over the map. I don't mind spending more for something that does what I want, but looking at about $200 as the absolute max. Anyone have a mount for their similarly sized TV (55") that they like? Or don't?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I've been mulling a new tv for awhile, and I thought I had settled on a 60 or 65-inch samsung. But when I went to the store to look at it in person, it was sitting next to a 55-inch sony 4k tv. The samsung I was considering was a new one from this year and the sony was a 2013, but they were the same price at 2499.

They were the same price and although the 4k was a tad smaller, it really blew the other away. I even had the sales guy show me the "1080p upscaled to 4k" to directly compare them and the sony made the samsung look pretty bad, image-wise. I suddenly started considering 4k.

Am I dumb for thinking about getting a 4k set? Is 4k going to be the minidisc of tv resolutions?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

On the one hand, 4K is not in and of itself ready for prime time, and I don't know if it can be updated for HDMI 2.0 later if it's not there now - I would contact Sony themselves with the model number for more information.

On the other hand, what you yourself have seen at least merits coming back with your own test sources.

And on ... that one foot you can sort of pick stuff up with I guess, if a TV's too small for your room then it's too small for your room.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't buy a 2013 4k TV. They really didn't get their poo poo together as far as standards and stuff until this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 4k probably had Sony's high end, fancy stuff that makes their LEDs so good. It may have been the technology more than the resolution.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just surprised to even be thinking about it because 4k wasn't on my radar at all until I saw that one price tag.

But it makes me wonder, is it a bit late to be buying a top-end 1080p tv? Like, are we near the end of 1080p being the way to go? My current tv is 720p and I bought it 7 years ago. I hope to have my next tv for as long or longer. Would it be wiser for me to wait another year and get a 4k once the prices have come down further and the standards are more set?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, no, I don't think it's worthwhile to wait.

4k still has a ton of momentum working against it and while it's becoming more common to work in 4k, it's still by far not the norm.

What's the biggest most recent blockbuster? Captain America 2?

quote:

Cinematographic Process Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)

Oh. So we'll never ever see Cap 2 in 4k as anything other than an upscale.

Pretty much if the movie isn't made by Sony\Columbia Pictures, it was more than likely made with a 2k DI and can't be released in native 4k without redoing the whole post process of movie.

Not to mention that we are still working with a 24fps source, so motion resolution still really isn't going to be all that high no matter the resolution of the display.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
On the other hand a lot of old movies (from before DI) have 4k or better restorations.

Sure you can't actually buy or download them yet. But theoretically studios could release a pretty awesome starter set of 4k movies once they figure the standards out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, this tells you all you really need to know about the state of 4k.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Samsung/UHD/4K/Ultra_HD/curvedscreen/LED/samsung-offers-free-4k-movie-pack-with-ultra-hd-tvs/14728

quote:

The UHD Video Pack is a proprietary 1 TB hard drive that comes pre-loaded with full 4K resolution versions of 'Night at the Museum,' 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine,' 'The Counselor,' 'GI Joe: Retaliation,' and 'World War Z.' In addition, the device also includes UHD versions of three documentary films, 'The Last Reef,' 'Grand Canyon Adventure,' and 'Cappadocia.'

Of those 5 Hollywood films, only 2 were done with a 4k DI (Night at the Museum and X-Men Origins: Wolverine). The other 3 were 2k DI.

So, the special UHD Video Pack that Samsung is using as a carrot to buy their UHD TVs is 3/5ths upscales and not native 4k material.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
BestBuy is having a Spring sale on select HDTVs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...ry=abcat0101000

I was eyeing the Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA, I just bought a Vizio e550i-b2 and tomorrow is my last day to return it. I can't find any reliable-looking reviews for any of the TVs on sale. Is there anything here that could beat the price/quality ratio of the e550i-b2?

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience with sharp aquos tvs? I'm looking into the 60" 60eq10u, because it seems like it has a ton of nice features for the price. Any thoughts would be appreciated, never spent this much on a tv before.
Sharp seems to get pretty good reviews overall online.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

StickFigs posted:

BestBuy is having a Spring sale on select HDTVs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...ry=abcat0101000

I was eyeing the Samsung UN55H6350AFXZA, I just bought a Vizio e550i-b2 and tomorrow is my last day to return it. I can't find any reliable-looking reviews for any of the TVs on sale. Is there anything here that could beat the price/quality ratio of the e550i-b2?

I'm no help but I just bought that Vizio as well. Care to share your calibration settings?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm actually looking for a decent, cheap TV. He main thing really is just works fine and isn't terrible. I have my main, 65" LG one downstairs and it works great, but I have $320 worth of points (using via amazon) that I have nothing else to use towards, and it wouldn't hurt to have a Tv in the bedroom.

Paging through amazon, I've found one or two LG and Vizio TVs at the 39-41" size range that would just be fine price wise and size wise. They don't seem to have many frills, but as long as I can hook up an Apple TV or Roku to it I'm fine.

Is there anything I should be avoiding, and anything specifically that I should be leaning towards?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
There's probably nothing even close to the price/quality ratio on the e550i-b2. It is a pretty fantastic TV for the price.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

big mean giraffe posted:

There's probably nothing even close to the price/quality ratio on the e550i-b2. It is a pretty fantastic TV for the price.

I figured that but maybe with a good enough sale you could beat a non-sale-price e550i-b2.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Given the choice should I get a 65" F8000 Samsung LCD or a F8500 plasma? I can get the F8000 for about $300 cheaper than the plasma but I'm kinda leaning towards the plasma. Even my wife is warming up :haw: to the idea of a plasma. Keep in mind I'm in Canada so neither are actually really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?
The Walmart in my area took down their display models on monday at about 10% off. I went back in today to check and see what was still available and everything was over 50% marked down. I picked up a 43" Samsung Plasma and a 42" Vizio E Series for under 400$.