Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Rocky Rodent looked pretty interesting, seemed like the bastard child of Mario and Sonic. Is the hairspray really just a crappier version of the clipper? Seems like the only downside to the clipper was you could get one shot if you got hit after throwing your hair.

The Tamage segment was pretty good, I about lost my poo poo when Arino played Metal Slug with the old lady.
Do you think that the Tamage corner is as charming in Japan? Part of the reason why I like the segment so much is because of the taste of Japanese culture, but that doesn't really have the same effect if you experience the culture every day.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't recall any touch screen features in the game.
You should be able to get through all of the games without needing to touch the screen. A few of the magazines and manuals have scratch off portions where you'll need a stylus to reveal secrets to games, but it's not needed to advance any stories. Also, the buttons for reset and going to bottom screen need a stylus. The first game had a button combo to get to the bottom screen and reset, but this one doesn't appear to have that option.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

cubeboy posted:

Do you think that the Tamage corner is as charming in Japan? Part of the reason why I like the segment so much is because of the taste of Japanese culture, but that doesn't really have the same effect if you experience the culture every day.

Im sure it is or they wouldnt be still doing it 10 years later.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh man not another candy store run by an endearing old couple with 10 yen games out front and a Metal Slug cabinet in the corner.:rolleyes:

I can't imagine what the American equivalent would be like. Abandoned mall arcades seemingly run by nobody, half filled with jammed coin mechanisms and the ever-present Time Crisis 2

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

Oh man not another candy store run by an endearing old couple with 10 yen games out front and a Metal Slug cabinet in the corner.:rolleyes:

I can't imagine what the American equivalent would be like. Abandoned mall arcades seemingly run by nobody, half filled with jammed coin mechanisms and the ever-present Time Crisis 2

Roller Rinks and bowling alleys and minigolf. Also Golden Tee and Touchmaster at the bars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Laundromats with Ms. Pac-Man or Galaga and a Neo Geo cabinet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Movie theaters, too. I have no clue why they have arcades in them, but I've never been to a theater that didn't have one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To catch kids waiting for their ride after a movie/suckers like me who see Silent Scope and go oh my god take my money.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Also because you might show up 15 minutes early for a movie and dropping some quarters to shoot some dinosaurs is a good use of the time. Of course DSes exist now sooooo

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RadicalR posted:

If you got an regular DS or DS Lite, I might have one lying around doing nothing...

I have a DS fat AND a DS Lite! :3:

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Not a bad episode, but one i've already forgotten a lot of already. Not very memorable, but nothing really bad about it either. Well, besides Sexual Harassment

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gunstarheroes posted:

Not a bad episode, but one i've already forgotten a lot of already. Not very memorable, but nothing really bad about it either. Well, besides Sexual Harassment
A year ago, I probably woulda dug that part, but... I dunno, I was kinda put off by it now. I still loved the part about licking the old man, though. But jeez, Rocky Rodent is a gross character. I never would've guessed that it was from Japan, it looks straight out of 1990s America.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKWoiLf3cQ

Can someone tell me what this video is regarding the 3rd GCCX DS game.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joek0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isKWoiLf3cQ

Can someone tell me what this video is regarding the 3rd GCCX DS game.

Arino challenges three Famitsu editors at versus play in the most recent game.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
This is slightly offtopic, but JonTron made a video of Takeshi's Challenge :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MIlJYiJUs

At least for me Takeshi's Challenge is pretty synonymous to GCCX :)

Edit: Thanks bpc908, fixed the typo.

makere fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 23, 2014

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

makere posted:

This is slightly offtopic, but JonTron made a video of Takeshi's Castle:

I love JonTron so I was excited to see that, but was disappointed that he didn't wait long enough to see the infamous "why are you so into this game" message at the end.

My friend in Japan snagged these for me and they finally arrived today!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Goddamn those are basically the coolest things ever

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My sister in Japan nabbed the Kitty-Arino for my son and will give it to him when we see her this summer. It basically combines two of his favorite pop-culture things, and I expect he will completely flip poo poo when he sees it. He doesn't even know it exists! :allears:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

makere posted:

This is slightly offtopic, but JonTron made a video of Takeshi's Castle:

At least for me Takeshi's Castle is pretty synonymous to GCCX :)

Takeshi's Challenge, not Takeshi's Castle

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q51dMM0qjQo

Part 2 of the NES Remix 2 Challenge.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arino x Neko-Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4P6-tiQnKY

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I nearly lost it when I saw the beat a SMB3 airship level as SMB2/USA Peach with an non-stop Starman challenge... Why can't they bring NES Remix 1+2 to the 3DS? I'm sure it could run it just fine. :(

Also, this is semi-related to this video and thread, but Theathrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (which is developed by indies zero who did NES Remix and the first two GCCX DS games) is coming to NA. No word on a EUR/PAL release as of yet, but I hope you guys get it too since it looks awesome. Here's the announcement trailer for it since I don't feel like embedding another YouTube video on this page since it tends to gently caress up some peoples' browsers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Obeast posted:

Why can't they bring NES Remix 1+2 to the 3DS? I'm sure it could run it just fine. :(

Funny you should mention that:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/04/21/why-nes-remix-1-2-isnat-on-nintendo-3ds

quote:

“One of the easiest ways to answer that is to say, 'I was working on 3D World, which was developed on Wii U. So I was already familiar with the system's architecture and developing for that platform lent itself to the early stages of the project,” Hayashida told IGN. “But, if you step into the shadows a bit more, in order to accomplish what we wanted with NES Remix, and get the effect we wanted out of it and the value that we wanted it to have, we needed some more machine power.”

“I think the Wii U offered that up for us pretty easily, and it just would have been more difficult to do it for the 3DS. I think that's really the answer,” Hayashida explained. “It's just that the Wii U had the machine power we were looking for in order for us to build the software we envisioned from the get go.’

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Huh... Nothing about NES Remix 1 or 2 seems like it would be tough to recreate on the 3DS (even if some of the remix challenges had lower quality graphics), but since I don't know anything about how the NES Remix engine runs, I'll just assume he's right and keep hoping for a GameBoy Remix. :shobon:

Also, I'd like to redact a little bit of my previous post as it turns out that Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is coming out in EUR/PAL regions. Don't ask me where I heard that it wasn't announced, because I assume it was some comments made before this version of the trailer was released (unless this was released first and/or at the same time as the US version, then just assume that I'm being a loving idiot who jumps the gun on stuff). :downs:

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Speaking as a developer, the 3DS certainly has more than enough power to handle NES Remix, easily. They have Smash Bros. running at 60FPS on full 3D, after all. The devs just likely didn't have the resources or the will to make a port (which admittedly IS a headache to do), but it's still sad. I honestly think it would have pulled more sales on the 3DS anyway, even if the WiiU would have been easier to develop for.

I was kind of disturbed by Rocky Rodent. His character design is like the embodiment of 1994 gaming. Good episode, though.

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 23, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

"Obama's in Tokyo so security's tight. This is the 6th time I've been stopped today, it`s pissin' me off!*"

Abe's twitter is great.

*Cameras and the like are getting special attention, according to NHK.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The "Game Center CX - Arino's Challenge in Budokan" DVD is looking to be a pretty great release. The included content:

Disc One:
- Special Edition of the Budokan special (un-aired scenes included).
- Post-event Arino and the staff's retrospective on the event.
- Sing-along version of "Fight! Kacho Fighter!"
- Music video version of "The Cardigans - Fight! Kacho Fighter!"

Disc Two:
- Budokan Documentary - Director's Cut.

Special Features
- Arino and the staff's commentary.
- Director's Cut version of "Derby Stallion".

First-edition only features:
- A bookmark styled on the silver streamers scattered at the end of the Budokan event.
- One of the three trading cards distributed at the Budokan event.
- Special postcard with a stand.

Goods:
- Special 56 page photo book.
- Budokan-version of Chief Arino's business card.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 23, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Oh man, I think I'm gonna have to buy that. I've been meaning to pick up the USA trip DVD too.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Is there any chance you guys would do the documentary when the DVD comes out?

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011
Abe and High Score Girl author Rensuke Oshikiri having a chat over Twitter?

Okay, that's pretty loving rad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I almost want to buy that DVD set. I know it wouldn't have English subs or anything though so I've been warned.

How much do sets like these go for? And is Amazon.co.jp a good place to pick it up?

Edit: America doesn't have the same region dvds as Japan right? I'd need something that could play Japanese discs?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I almost want to buy that DVD set. I know it wouldn't have English subs or anything though so I've been warned.

How much do sets like these go for? And is Amazon.co.jp a good place to pick it up?

Edit: America doesn't have the same region dvds as Japan right? I'd need something that could play Japanese discs?

The sets are usually around 6000 yen and Amazon.co.jp has been where I've ordered the sets from.

If your computer has a DVD drive in it then you can just use VLC, it ignores region requirements.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

If your computer has a DVD drive in it then you can just use VLC, it ignores region requirements.

This may depend on your drive, actually; there's a specific byte in a file (VIDEO_TS.IFO if memory serves) on video DVD's that determines region compatibility (each bit is a 0 or 1 based on which of the 8 regions the disc is playable in) and some drives force-check that byte at a hardware level. It's possible to work around it but might require more than just VLC. Of course, if you're able to rip DVD's, you can re-burn a new set of discs that has no region code.

Having said that, amazon.jp is probably going to be your cheapest option but you will likely be forced into using an expensive shipping method (with the tradeoff that you will get it stupidly fast; I posted earlier about how I received DVD Box 10 on the same day it was out in Japan despite being on the other side of the planet). There's a chance you can overall get it cheaper from cdjapan.co.jp; their prices are sometimes a bit higher than Amazon but you can use shipping methods that take longer and only cost like 4 or 5 bucks instead of the 20ish Amazon will likely cost. After import charges and the like you are looking at somewhere between $65 and $90 US for the 2-disc set.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Fooley posted:

Is there any chance you guys would do the documentary when the DVD comes out?

I've actually been working on that, but with the new (fiscal) year and a new work schedule, I don't have as much translating time as I used to. It's coming along though.

Ineffiable posted:

It's about 4700 yen on Amazon.co.jp

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B2%E...=I248QEI5EZJL3Q

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I told you guys it was the next Mega Man game in line.

Also, I guarantee that it's going to be a two parter.

You win.

Megaman X is a two-part (plus?) challenge. That Said, Arino still does pretty well unassisted.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

You win.

Megaman X is a two-part (plus?) challenge. That Said, Arino still does pretty well unassisted.

General comment: This is probably an episode I want to watch with raws, like DKC2.

How far does he make in the first episode?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

General comment: This is probably an episode I want to watch with raws, like DKC2.

How far does he make in the first episode?

He beats all eight Mavericks, Sigma stages~ in the second part

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

He beats all eight Mavericks, Sigma stages~ in the second part

He shouldn't have too much left then, if I remember correctly. I wonder how they're gonna fill a whole episode with just a few stages? Will he fail at Sigma for 8 hours?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

He shouldn't have too much left then, if I remember correctly. I wonder how they're gonna fill a whole episode with just a few stages? Will he fail at Sigma for 8 hours?

It'll be Metro-Cross part two all over again, or just, really, really sad. I predict laughs either way!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is a video for the raw of the Megaman X episode. A better one should be online soon.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzAzNDEzNDQw.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

joek0 posted:

Here is a video for the raw of the Megaman X episode. A better one should be online soon.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzAzNDEzNDQw.html
IMHO, the video quality isn't that bad if you're not super picky. It's definitely watchable, which is just fine for me. :)

Regarding the episode itself, I'm actually surprised that Arino did a lot better than I expected without the staff giving him the boss order like they did in MM4 (or 3?)... Although, I have a feeling the Sigma stages (including that loving spider boss) in part 2 will trip him up since from what I remember, they are significantly harder than the regular stages (much like the Wily stages in the regular MM series).

Also, I'm a little surprised they didn't tell (or show them telling) Arino about Flame Mammoth's stage being frozen over because of him beating Chill Penguin before doing Flame Mammoth's stage.