Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lycus posted:

Drudge is officially a parody of Drudge.

Sources: Hackers Vandalized Drudge Report For Last 15 Years

quote:

The Drudge Report has also been at the mercy of Chinese hackers since shortly after the site’s inception in 1996. “They make the whole site look like garbage, they publish all this incendiary trash, and meanwhile I have to sit here with my name on this thing—it kills me,” said the popular blogger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Not My Leg posted:

Well, I'm sure he'll just carefully back away from the statement and explain...

A Racist posted:

That’s exactly what I said. I said I’m wondering if they’re better off under government subsidy, and their young women are having the abortions and their young men are in jail, and their older women and their children are standing, sitting out on the cement porch without nothing to do, you know, I’m wondering: Are they happier now under this government subsidy system than they were when they were slaves, and they was able to have their family structure together, and the chickens and garden, and the people had something to do? And so, in my mind I’m wondering, are they better off being slaves, in that sense, or better off being slaves to the United States government, in the sense of the subsidies. I’m wondering. That’s what. And the statement was right. I am wondering.
:stare:

If theres one thing american slavery is known for, its keeping traditional family structures intact.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

NPR posted:

The JFK running for state Senate in Georgia was introduced at a recent campaign event like this: "The man, the legend. And, the 'F' stands for Flanders, not Fitzgerald."

John Flanders Kennedy is charming, clean-cut and good-looking, but he's not from Boston, and he's no Democrat.
http://www.npr.org/2014/04/24/306541411/on-the-ballot-in-georgia-this-year-jfk

Nonsense, election year, et cetera.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I still literally cannot believe that racist statement from Bundy was real. That's like bonkers levels of racism. That's the ne plus ultra of racist speeches.

This on the other hand I can totally believe is real.

buttshapedlocket
Apr 7, 2014

Do you like my sexy vampire

:wink:

I would love to see the world through Muir's eyes, if only to know for a moment why we're supposed to be afraid for our national security if the biggest security threat any opposing country can muster is a World War II bomber.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I still literally cannot believe that racist statement from Bundy was real. That's like bonkers levels of racism. That's the ne plus ultra of racist speeches.

It gets better!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

"So sis, what were you doing in Maryland in the first place? Why'd you leave Argentina so close to your due date? Did Mom and Don Ex Machina kick you out? If so, why? Why didn't you come straight back to Florida? Did you come here because you were planning to stay with someone in the area? If so, who? How do you know them? Will I get to meet them?"

"All interesting questions, Sam. I'd be happy to answer them if I weren't written by an unimaginative idiot."

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

the "Obama" is just a hastily slapped on sticker to cover the word "Bush".

Also he put drones on the burning shelf, is this a sign that we will soon see arguments that drones were all Obama's idea that the Right hated all along but went along with it because the mean Dems would call them traitors? Or did Glen just run low on labels?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Does anyone know the source of the ideas that fuel Bundy's overt racism? It's unusual to see this sort of strong, open counterfactual framing of history. I'm curious who or what fed him these ideas.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

I am assuming that the fighter plane with the Sarah Palin art is part of the U.S. military, right? Meaning that Obama's military is acting to defend the country from this act of Russian aggression, which would counter the claim that Obama is a gutless appeaser?

It also implies that Sarah Palin predicted Russia's recent acts of aggression, when in fact all she said was that Alaska's proximity to Russia gave her experience in foreign policy.

Given that "Time's Up" is used twice in the strip, including as the punchline, I figured there must be some significance to that flag that I wasn't getting, so I looked up "time's up flag" on GIS. This was the third result:

(Turns out the Time's Up flag is some stupid piece of merchandise from some libertarian nut Muir likes and has probably five followers.)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:iceburn:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Try to imagine that nose art transplanted to this:

Very awkwardly placed.

Also I'm going to be pissed if they brought back nose art after I got out :(

Also that would ruin the F-22's stealth coating.

(I'm overthinking this aren't I?)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Try to imagine that nose art transplanted to this:

Very awkwardly placed.

Also I'm going to be pissed if they brought back nose art after I got out :(

Also that would ruin the F-22's stealth coating.

(I'm overthinking this aren't I?)

You aren't. His drawings tracings do not follow any contours and suck.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

MisterBadIdea posted:

Given that "Time's Up" is used twice in the strip, including as the punchline, I figured there must be some significance to that flag that I wasn't getting, so I looked up "time's up flag" on GIS. This was the third result:
I googled "time's up flag" to see what kind of blogs come up. This was on the first result http://dullhawk.com/declaration.html

:tinfoil: posted:

On my honor as an individual human being, I will give zero respect or voluntary obedience to counterfeit "laws" or systems of belief- present or future. I do not give, nor have I ever given, consent to be subject to the whims of the criminal collective known as "government" nor that known as The State. I renounce aggression, coercion, and theft, and will defend myself and others- however I see fit- against all attacks. I will seek to live as free in my body as I do in my mind.
counterfeit "laws" is a link to this http://kentforliberty.com/counterfeitlaw.html
:stare:

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Does anyone know the source of the ideas that fuel Bundy's overt racism? It's unusual to see this sort of strong, open counterfactual framing of history. I'm curious who or what fed him these ideas.

Rachel Maddow spent a while tying his remarks to the sovereign citizen/freeman's movement (and I'm sure he's a fan) but there's a lot less esoteric source - mainstream Republicans:

http://nomoremister.blogspot.com/2014/04/cliven-bunker-is-victim-of-racial.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/04/24/cliven_bundy_and_some_conservative_pundits_are_not_so_different.html

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh... These sorts of views aren't uncommon at all, especially among ignorant backwoods fucks. I've heard the "blacks would be better off back on slave plantations" argument many times before. These are usually the same sort of people that will attempt to frame the Civil War as something other than a conflict over the continued existence of slavery in the United States.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't believe anyone, much less an American, would seriously argue that. Where's the FREEDOM!!! idea that I thought would be especially strong in conservatives?

I mean, arguing that whites would be better off if blacks were slaves again would be one thing, but what the gently caress?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Uh... These sorts of views aren't uncommon at all, especially among ignorant backwoods fucks. I've heard the "blacks would be better off back on slave plantations" argument many times before. These are usually the same sort of people that will attempt to frame the Civil War as something other than a conflict over the continued existence of slavery in the United States.

Oh, I know, but the specific phrases and framing narrative are different from what I've usually seen among dittoheads. I thought there might be a different branch of horrible racial revanchism than I'd seen before at the root of this.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't believe anyone, much less an American, would seriously argue that. Where's the FREEDOM!!! idea that I thought would be especially strong in conservatives?

I mean, arguing that whites would be better off if blacks were slaves again would be one thing, but what the gently caress?

Freedom is good, unless you're not white, in which case you're subhuman and don't deserve it.

It's very simple.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

buttshapedlocket posted:

I would love to see the world through Muir's eyes, if only to know for a moment why we're supposed to be afraid for our national security if the biggest security threat any opposing country can muster is a World War II bomber.

As much as there is to criticize about Muir generally and that cartoon in particular, the military history nerd in me is compelled to point out the bomber he traced there is a Tu-95, NATO codename Bear. It's Russia's remarkable Cold War long-range turboprop bomber, which rivals the B-52 in both age and adaptability.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, I know, but the specific phrases and framing narrative are different from what I've usually seen among dittoheads. I thought there might be a different branch of horrible racial revanchism than I'd seen before at the root of this.

Hell, it may have been overshadowed by his stance on men's rectums but this is exactly what Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty said in GQ:

quote:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field, they’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Get ready for the return of a classic!

Rittur dog, indeed!

At least he didn't make out with it, which I infer is what Bush would have done.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

BBJoey posted:

At least he didn't make out with it, which I infer is what Bush would have done.

President chokes on dumpling, more at 11

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It was immediately recognized as a mistake, punishments and apologies all around.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

It was immediately recognized as a mistake, punishments and apologies all around.

How do you know that? Are you from two weeks in the future???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo this one is a gut-punch :stare:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Time.com. Just. Time.com. Go and look. I dunno. Whatever. :tinsley:

BBJoey posted:

:roboluv:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

pd187 posted:

Hell, it may have been overshadowed by his stance on men's rectums but this is exactly what Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty said in GQ:

Every right-winger with whom I discussed that at the time refused to admit it was racist because Robertson

(1) Never praised slavery
(2) Never said he hated anyone
(3) Did not explicitly mention Jim Crow so we can't be sure what he really meant
and
(4) maybe never even knew lynchings were happening because really they weren't that common, jeez

I can't tell if it's more insane that the right's standards to make something not-racist are so low, or that Bundy couldn't even manage to meet those.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 25, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

That was almost a sentence, Tinsley! Keep it up!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
This really belongs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoXJI4vBns&t=19s

No, really, it does. This is Muir level comedy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Am I far off in thinking this is how Tinsley spends his nights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPizsaE419Y

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'd like to demonstrate just how much effort goes into Day by Day. We all know he steals images off Google, but surely there's SOME work involved in tracing them, huh?

Hmm. Interesting image. I'd like to use that in a comic. Let's throw that into Illustrator... Click the "Live Trace" button... and...

Bam! DBD-ified with one click.

This is all the work he does.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Time.com. Just. Time.com. Go and look. I dunno. Whatever. :tinsley:

I looked at Time.com and now I want to see the politoons that result from this: http://time.com/76863/disney-world-has-a-homeless-problem/

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

I'd like to demonstrate just how much effort goes into Day by Day. We all know he steals images off Google, but surely there's SOME work involved in tracing them, huh?

Hmm. Interesting image. I'd like to use that in a comic. Let's throw that into Illustrator... Click the "Live Trace" button... and...

Bam! DBD-ified with one click.

This is all the work he does.

Well that depends on whether scanning blogs for the craziest poo poo ever is considered work. At least he doesn't claim 50 hours of research like :tinsley:.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

So in Lester's cowboy view of the world, the dude would have been able to drop the newspaper, whip out his concealed carry and blast the dude who already had the drop on him? How would a concealed carry have helped in this situation at all?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

cafel posted:

So in Lester's cowboy view of the world, the dude would have been able to drop the newspaper, whip out his concealed carry and blast the dude who already had the drop on him? How would a concealed carry have helped in this situation at all?
The victim announced that he wasn't carrying and therefore deserves to be robbed.

Mike Lester thinks that people in favor of gun control should be legally required to post signs outside their houses saying NO GUNS IN HERE so that robbers will know whom to target.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The robber would have been able to smell the increased American fluids all gun toters have, naturally causing him to flee in panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's a terrible opinion, and poorly drawn, but structurally it's a very well-executed cartoon unusual for Lester.

• Locked thread