Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

spankmeister posted:

That isn't remotely usable yet. I applaud their efforts however and will keep an eye on it.

My hope is actually for PolarSSL to gain more ground, and maybe NaCl will produce something that can actually do TLS.

PolarSSL is dual license (GPL/proprietary) so don't expect it to ever be as popular as OpenSSL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

PolarSSL is dual license (GPL/proprietary) so don't expect it to ever be as popular as OpenSSL.

I want mod_polarssl basically :haw:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Riso posted:

Oh I've looked at Ubuntu. It's so loving half-arsed I don't even know what to say.

I abandoned Ubuntu around the 9.04 release - I didn't like where it was heading at that point, and it seems my impression was correct.

At this point my preferred distro is openSUSE, and gotta say that 13.1 has impressed the hell out of me. The KDE spin of 13.1 runs like a champ on my Acer netbook, and screams on the other machines I've put it on.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a weird question that I hope someone can answer.

I just transitioned (completely) over to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS from Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop.

On Windows 8.1, I had a program that came with the laptop that allowed me to switch between full battery charging and a "battery life saver mode" that kept it at 60%. When I switched over, it was on that 60% mode.

Now, I am in Linux and my battery is stuck at 60%. Is there some sort of batter management program or some way that I can change the battery back to normal charging? I don't want to be stuck at 60% forever, and the only other "fix" I know of would be to do a system restore to get back to Windows 8.1 and get that setting changed.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

Oh I've looked at Ubuntu. It's so loving half-arsed I don't even know what to say.

I started off with Ubuntu and I'd recommend others to do the same. But the constant errors popping up with no indication as to what is causing them and the various other little things that I found annoying made me jump ship after getting settled into Linux. Jumped to Mint which is, in my mind, much more polished than Ubuntu is then over to Arch Linux. I like having packages that aren't tampered with. Plus the AUR is loving amazing.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

I have a weird question that I hope someone can answer.

I just transitioned (completely) over to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS from Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop.

On Windows 8.1, I had a program that came with the laptop that allowed me to switch between full battery charging and a "battery life saver mode" that kept it at 60%. When I switched over, it was on that 60% mode.

Now, I am in Linux and my battery is stuck at 60%. Is there some sort of batter management program or some way that I can change the battery back to normal charging? I don't want to be stuck at 60% forever, and the only other "fix" I know of would be to do a system restore to get back to Windows 8.1 and get that setting changed.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/34452/how-can-i-limit-battery-charging-to-80-capacity

Start there I think. It seems like there are some third party drivers out there that should be able to do what you want.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tigren posted:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/34452/how-can-i-limit-battery-charging-to-80-capacity

Start there I think. It seems like there are some third party drivers out there that should be able to do what you want.

So... I do that and just write 100?

EDIT: I tried that, and when I tried doing the second line

code:
sudo modprobe tp_smapi
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'tp_smapi': No such device
I still then wrote the echo line as

code:
echo 99 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh
but my battery remains at 59.0% :(

the fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 26, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The KDE spin of 13.1 runs like a champ on my Acer netbook, and screams on the other machines I've put it on.

What I don't like about KDE is the mouse behaviour. Either you have to double click twice on everything OR you have to be single click on everything.
There's apparently no setting that copies the Mac/Win behaviours of double click a file but single click a control panel item.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the posted:

code:
 | sudo tee 

Why did this never occur to me? Bless you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the posted:

code:
sudo modprobe tp_smapi

code:

Well the tp_smapi driver obviously doesn't want to load so those sysfs entries never get created.

What is the output of dmesg wafter you try to modprobe the kernel module?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

code:
sudo modprobe tp_smapi

code:

What model of Lenovo do you have?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

spankmeister posted:

Well the tp_smapi driver obviously doesn't want to load so those sysfs entries never get created.

What is the output of dmesg wafter you try to modprobe the kernel module?

I have no idea what this means, sorry. I followed all the steps of that link I posted earlier.

Tigren posted:

What model of Lenovo do you have?

It's a Lenovo Z400 touch.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
And my second problem:

I disabled my touchpad last night by going into the mouse options and disabling it. Today I went to enable it, and there's no option any more in the mouse options.

Lenovo Z400 touch, and I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.

I've heard that you can type "xinput list" in the terminal, see what the touchpad is, and turn it back on, but I don't have any touchpad listed when I do that.

This is a bit ridiculous :-/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the posted:

And my second problem:

I disabled my touchpad last night by going into the mouse options and disabling it. Today I went to enable it, and there's no option any more in the mouse options.

I've heard that you can type "xinput list" in the terminal, see what the touchpad is, and turn it back on, but I don't have any touchpad listed when I do that.

Welcome to my world.

In my case it was Arch, and more of a "hope the next kernel update fixes it" deal.

There's not a hardware switch, is there?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

the posted:

And my second problem:

Is the synaptic driver loaded?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

scroogle nmaps posted:

Welcome to my world.

In my case it was Arch, and more of a "hope the next kernel update fixes it" deal.

There's not a hardware switch, is there?

Uh, not sure. But it was originally working, and all I did was toggle it off in the options. Then it entirely disappears? wtf?

Tigren posted:

Is the synaptic driver loaded?

How do I check this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Riso posted:

What I don't like about KDE is the mouse behaviour. Either you have to double click twice on everything OR you have to be single click on everything.
There's apparently no setting that copies the Mac/Win behaviours of double click a file but single click a control panel item.

About the only place I actually see that behavior show up is in the KDE control panel - the main system panel in openSUSE, YaST, runs with single clicks like in Windows. I personally hate having the file browser in any OS react to single clicks, so always set the default to require double clicks. Just checked on this machine, which is running openSUSE 12.3 because I haven't bothered migrating it to 13.1 yet - it's crazy-fast as it is right now, and it's my main desktop, so I've been putting off doing what is currently an unnecessary upgrade.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the posted:

Uh, not sure. But it was originally working, and all I did was toggle it off in the options. Then it entirely disappears? wtf?

How do I check this?

grep for synaptics in Xorg.0.log usually. However, Xorg should autodetect it, and in my case, saying "please Xorg please load it anyway" made no difference.

May be worth leaving it powered off for 30 minutes, sometimes laptop manufacturers store dumb things in semi-persistent memory and expect their bundled crapware to send the magic awakening signal to the firmware.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I work at a University, and for various reasons we're looking for a VDI type solution for students to be able to access a Linux desktop from their personal machines. I know it all sounds a little bit silly since Xforwarding exists but this is the charge, so I'd rather not dwell on it too much.

So I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas for products. I'm trying to find one that works the best, and these are what I've come up with:
QVD (true VDI using kvm or LXC)
NoMachine NX Server (one implementation of NX protocol)
2X NX Server (another NX implementation, though they may not offer a product that does what we want)
X2Go (Another NX type implementation, seeing a pattern here?)
FastX (Made by Starnet, the makers of XWin32, it's based on the RDP protocol)

There requirements are fairly loose. We want students to be able to access the same enviroment as if they were sitting down at a machine in one of our computer labs. We will spread this out over multiple physical servers, but we want there to be a single connection broker or bastion server or something that they connect to. We'd also like them to be able to disconnect from a session and reconnect to it at a later time. We are willing to spend money on this, so basically price is not an issue.

So far FastX and X2Go are in the lead, but I'm wondering if anybody has ideas for any other products/projects I should be looking at before I make a decision/recommendation?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I *think* this is a solution to my battery charging problem, if I can translate it:

quote:

Actualy the sony notebook utilites doesnt have battery care function which is interesting since normaly it would have it. But eatherway I did try something out and basicly I took the battery and AC out and press and hold the power button for like 20 sec and I tired installing Ubuntu without the battery and it seemed like it did charge fully which is strange but maybe I didn't need to press the power button and hold it for 20 sec maybe it was that I had to remove the battery before installing Ubuntu again. But I did once install Win 7 again but still had problem so that's why I thought maybe if I remove the battery and install Ubuntu again it would fix it and it did. But I' am still testing it so make sure it will keep charging at 100% from now on. But maybe it fixed because I holded the power button.

edit: Went into bios, did "Load optimized defaults," and I think that fixed it.

Now to fix this touchpad issue, and I'm golden.

the fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 27, 2014

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Ok this question might be too esoteric but I'm trying to set up a strongswan VPN server on a small arm computer I have running a modified Ubuntu distro called picuntu. I can successfully set up pptpd and use it's pptp server, but strongswan is unwilling.

This is the error I get when I restart IPsec. This is strongswan version 4.5.2.
code:
charon: 00[KNL] unable to create netlink socket
charon: 00[KNL] listening on interfaces:
charon: 00[KNL]   eth4
charon: 00[KNL]     192.168.X.XX
charon: 00[NET] installing bypass policy on receive socket failed
charon: 00[NET] installing bypass policy on send socket failed
I can attempt to connect and it authenticates with my client successfully, but then fails in this manner:
code:
charon: 12[IKE] peer requested virtual IP %any
charon: 12[CFG] assigning new lease to 'XXXX'
charon: 12[IKE] assigning virtual IP 192.168.X.X to peer 'XXXX'
charon: 12[IKE] allocating SPI failed
The X's are redacted.

From googling this sounds like a problem with a missing kernel module. Does that sound right? Since I'm on a weirdo arm computer is the likelihood that I wont' be able to add the module I need?

Naffer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 27, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Possibly, does strongswan have a higher logging level you can set?
Also check dmesg to see if it's trying to insert modules or w/e.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Naffer posted:

Ok this question might be too esoteric but I'm trying to set up a strongswan VPN server on a small arm computer I have running a modified Ubuntu distro called picuntu. I can successfully set up pptpd and use it's pptp server, but strongswan is unwilling.

This is the error I get when I restart IPsec. This is strongswan version 4.5.2.
code:
charon: 00[KNL] unable to create netlink socket
charon: 00[KNL] listening on interfaces:
charon: 00[KNL]   eth4
charon: 00[KNL]     192.168.X.XX
charon: 00[NET] installing bypass policy on receive socket failed
I can attempt to connect and it authenticates with my client successfully, but then fails in this manner:
code:
charon: 12[IKE] peer requested virtual IP %any
charon: 12[CFG] assigning new lease to 'XXXX'
charon: 12[IKE] assigning virtual IP 192.168.X.X to peer 'XXXX'
charon: 12[IKE] allocating SPI failed
The X's are redacted.

From googling this sounds like a problem with a missing kernel module. Does that sound right? Since I'm on a weirdo arm computer is the likelihood that I wont' be able to add the module I need?

Why wouldn't you be able to build a kernel module?

What weirdo ARM board?

Are you trying to pass through to L2TP or not?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

spankmeister posted:

Possibly, does strongswan have a higher logging level you can set?
Also check dmesg to see if it's trying to insert modules or w/e.

It didn't leave anything in dmesg. I turned on really verbose logging and it wasn't terribly insightful. Here are the two relevant portions:
code:
[LIB] plugin 'attr': loaded successfully
[KNL] unable to create netlink socket
[KNL] listening on interfaces:
[KNL]   eth4
[KNL]     192.168.X.X
[LIB] plugin 'kernel-netlink': loaded successfully
[LIB] plugin 'resolve': loaded successfully
[NET] installing bypass policy on receive socket failed
[NET] installing bypass policy on send socket failed
[LIB] plugin 'socket-raw': loaded successfully
and
code:
[IKE] <w7|1> peer requested virtual IP %any
[CFG] <w7|1> assigning new lease to 'XXXXXX'
[IKE] <w7|1> assigning virtual IP 192.168.X.X to peer 'XXXXX'
[IKE] <w7|1> building INTERNAL_IP4_DNS attribute
[IKE] <w7|1> building INTERNAL_IP4_NBNS attribute
[ENC] <w7|1> added payload of type CONFIGURATION to message
[CFG] <w7|1> looking for a child config for 0.0.0.0/0 === 0.0.0.0/0
[CFG] <w7|1> proposing traffic selectors for us:
[CFG] <w7|1>  0.0.0.0/0 (derived from 0.0.0.0/0)
[CFG] <w7|1> proposing traffic selectors for other:
[CFG] <w7|1>  192.168.X.X/32 (derived from dynamic)
[CFG] <w7|1>   candidate "w7" with prio 5+1
[CFG] <w7|1> found matching child config "w7" with prio 6
[CFG] <w7|1> selecting proposal:
[CFG] <w7|1>   proposal matches
[CFG] <w7|1> received proposals: ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ, ESP:3DES_CBC/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[CFG] <w7|1> configured proposals: ESP:AES_CBC_128/AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/MODP_1024/NO_EXT_SEQ, 
ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA2_512_256/MODP_4096/NO_EXT_SEQ,
 ESP:AES_CBC_128/AES_CBC_192/AES_CBC_256/3DES_CBC/BLOWFISH_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/AES_XCBC_96/HMAC_MD5_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[CFG] <w7|1> selected proposal: ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[IKE] <w7|1> allocating SPI failed
Then after a few more exchanged messages the client sends a disconnect. My guess is still that I'm missing some critical kernel module.

quote:

Why wouldn't you be able to build a kernel module?
What weirdo ARM board?
Are you trying to pass through to L2TP or not?
It's an Mk808 which is an RK3066. I'm trying to set up an Ikev2 vpn using the configuration here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.ipsec.roadwarrior

Naffer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 27, 2014

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

I work at a University, and for various reasons we're looking for a VDI type solution for students to be able to access a Linux desktop from their personal machines.
Is there already some kind of requirement imposed on what kind of personal machines students have?

These days I'd be looking into a solution that could ideally be used by both iPads and Chromebooks, in addition to Windows/Mac/Linux machines. That's probably pushing into the VNC or maybe RDP territory.

I don't know what kind of machines students really carry around anymore. But in our post-PC world, it's probably no longer safe to assume that everyone has a Windows/Mac laptop/desktop.

FISHMANPET posted:

I know it all sounds a little bit silly since Xforwarding exists but this is the charge, so I'd rather not dwell on it too much.
It's not so silly. X forwarding is terribly inefficient and the results, even on a campus network, can be pretty awful. Plus X forwarding isn't resumable (network disconnect? there goes your app!) and X servers aren't available for all common client platforms these days.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Naffer posted:

It didn't leave anything in dmesg. I turned on really verbose logging and it wasn't terribly insightful. Here are the two relevant portions:
code:
[LIB] plugin 'attr': loaded successfully
[KNL] unable to create netlink socket
[KNL] listening on interfaces:
[KNL]   eth4
[KNL]     192.168.X.X
[LIB] plugin 'kernel-netlink': loaded successfully
[LIB] plugin 'resolve': loaded successfully
[LIB] plugin 'socket-raw': loaded successfully
and
code:
[IKE] <w7|1> peer requested virtual IP %any
[CFG] <w7|1> assigning new lease to 'XXXXXX'
[IKE] <w7|1> assigning virtual IP 192.168.X.X to peer 'XXXXX'
[IKE] <w7|1> building INTERNAL_IP4_DNS attribute
[IKE] <w7|1> building INTERNAL_IP4_NBNS attribute
[ENC] <w7|1> added payload of type CONFIGURATION to message
[CFG] <w7|1> looking for a child config for 0.0.0.0/0 === 0.0.0.0/0
[CFG] <w7|1> proposing traffic selectors for us:
[CFG] <w7|1>  0.0.0.0/0 (derived from 0.0.0.0/0)
[CFG] <w7|1> proposing traffic selectors for other:
[CFG] <w7|1>  192.168.X.X/32 (derived from dynamic)
[CFG] <w7|1>   candidate "w7" with prio 5+1
[CFG] <w7|1> found matching child config "w7" with prio 6
[CFG] <w7|1> selecting proposal:
[CFG] <w7|1>   proposal matches
[CFG] <w7|1> received proposals: ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ, ESP:3DES_CBC/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[CFG] <w7|1> configured proposals: ESP:AES_CBC_128/AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/MODP_1024/NO_EXT_SEQ, 
ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA2_512_256/MODP_4096/NO_EXT_SEQ,
 ESP:AES_CBC_128/AES_CBC_192/AES_CBC_256/3DES_CBC/BLOWFISH_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/AES_XCBC_96/HMAC_MD5_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[CFG] <w7|1> selected proposal: ESP:AES_CBC_256/HMAC_SHA1_96/NO_EXT_SEQ
[IKE] <w7|1> allocating SPI failed
Then after a few more exchanged messages the client sends a disconnect. My guess is still that I'm missing some critical kernel module.

It's an Mk808 which is an RK3066. I'm trying to set up an Ikev2 vpn using the configuration here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.ipsec.roadwarrior

You can still build modules from sources for your kernel version.

Output of "ipsec version"? That'll tell us whether it's userland or in-kernel ipsec

Nvm: kernel netfilter.

Install build-essential and kernel sources. Look at /proc/ for config.gz or /boot/config...

Copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and cd there. make oldconfig && make menuconfig. make && make modules_install. Modprobe it.

You may want to ask on the strongswan lists. Or, if you're not tied to it, use racoon, or openswan+l2tp. I can provide configs for racoon+xl2tpd if you want them

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 28, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there already some kind of requirement imposed on what kind of personal machines students have?

These days I'd be looking into a solution that could ideally be used by both iPads and Chromebooks, in addition to Windows/Mac/Linux machines. That's probably pushing into the VNC or maybe RDP territory.

I don't know what kind of machines students really carry around anymore. But in our post-PC world, it's probably no longer safe to assume that everyone has a Windows/Mac laptop/desktop.

It's not so silly. X forwarding is terribly inefficient and the results, even on a campus network, can be pretty awful. Plus X forwarding isn't resumable (network disconnect? there goes your app!) and X servers aren't available for all common client platforms these days.

We're OK with something that works on Windows and Mac, anything else would be cool, but certainly not required. If someone wants to try and get a Computer Science degree without having an actual computer, then good luck I guess...

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

evol262 posted:

You can still build modules from sources for your kernel version.

Output of "ipsec version"? That'll tell us whether it's userland or in-kernel ipsec

Nvm: kernel netfilter.

Install build-essential and kernel sources. Look at /proc/ for config.gz or /boot/config...

Copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config and cd there. make oldconfig && make menuconfig. make && make modules_install. Modprobe it.

You may want to ask on the strongswan lists. Or, if you're not tied to it, use racoon, or openswan+l2tp. I can provide configs for racoon+xl2tpd if you want them

Thanks for the help. I'm still learning to use Linux and haven't done any kernel tampering yet.
I crosschecked config.gz with the list of required modules for strongswan and got this list of missing modules:
code:
# CONFIG_XFRM_USER is not set
# CONFIG_INET_AH is not set
# CONFIG_INET_IPCOMP is not set
# CONFIG_INET_XFRM_TUNNEL is not set
# CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_BEET is not set
I'll have to do some more reading to make sure I do this correctly.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Naffer posted:

Thanks for the help. I'm still learning to use Linux and haven't done any kernel tampering yet.
I crosschecked config.gz with the list of required modules for strongswan and got this list of missing modules:
code:
# CONFIG_XFRM_USER is not set
# CONFIG_INET_AH is not set
# CONFIG_INET_IPCOMP is not set
# CONFIG_INET_XFRM_TUNNEL is not set
# CONFIG_INET_XFRM_MODE_BEET is not set
I'll have to do some more reading to make sure I do this correctly.

The Ubuntu docs look pretty clear, but you may wanna ask in the Ubuntu thread anyway to see if there's a forum post or something

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a shortcut in Chromium to drop back to the "view all the windows" interface?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So I have all my anime and porn media on a Ubuntu server, and want to know the best way to access that on my Ubuntu desktop on the same network. Samba shares seem to be pretty finicky with permissions. Do I just need to figure that out, or is something like SSHfs a good solution to this? The fact that sshfs exists is the only thing I know about sshfs, but I'm happy to research how to actually implement this myself, I just want to make sure I'm looking into the right thing.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 28, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Grumpwagon posted:

So I have all my anime and porn media on a Ubuntu server, and want to know the best way to access that on my Ubuntu desktop on the same network. Samba shares seem to be pretty finicky with permissions. Do I just need to figure that out, or is something like SSHfs a good solution to this? The fact that sshfs exists is the only thing I know about sshfs, but I'm happy to research how to actually implement this myself, I just want to make sure I'm looking into the right thing.

NFS

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah NFS is rock solid for me and my Ubuntu machine accessing a Synology NAS. Apple and Samba shares are always kind of iffy, but NFS just works great.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How do I use telnet to view directories and files on a remote server? I've telnet'd in to a remote. But I can't find much useful to do at the "telnet>" prompt since I can't even use "ls" or the windows "dir" or anything to even see which directory I'm in.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

reading posted:

How do I use telnet to view directories and files on a remote server? I've telnet'd in to a remote. But I can't find much useful to do at the "telnet>" prompt since I can't even use "ls" or the windows "dir" or anything to even see which directory I'm in.

You use SSH.

The "telnet>" prompt is equivalent to plain nslookup returning a prompt.

An actual telnet session will give you "login: " like a physical console, followed by the invocation of a shell and the normal "#" or "$" or "[user@host] " or whatever PS1 prompt. You almost certainly haven't actually telnetted in, since nobody should be using telnet in 2014, and there are 99% odds that telnetd is disabled or not even installed.

Unless it's a UPS, switch, or something else which commonly uses telnet. In which case you should look up the docs for JunOS or iOS or APC's OS or whatever, because you're actually logged into a totally different operating system which doesn't use the commands you're used to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

reading posted:

Are you sure you actually telnetted in? Because that prompt is from the telnet program itself. (Hint: type "open")

(Apologies if you already know this)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

evol262 posted:

You use SSH.

The "telnet>" prompt is equivalent to plain nslookup returning a prompt.

An actual telnet session will give you "login: " like a physical console, followed by the invocation of a shell and the normal "#" or "$" or "[user@host] " or whatever PS1 prompt. You almost certainly haven't actually telnetted in, since nobody should be using telnet in 2014, and there are 99% odds that telnetd is disabled or not even installed.

Unless it's a UPS, switch, or something else which commonly uses telnet. In which case you should look up the docs for JunOS or iOS or APC's OS or whatever, because you're actually logged into a totally different operating system which doesn't use the commands you're used to.

Even a switch should be using ssh gat drat

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

evol262 posted:

The Ubuntu docs look pretty clear, but you may wanna ask in the Ubuntu thread anyway to see if there's a forum post or something

I looked around a bit more and decided to instead install Rockhopper VPN (http://rockhoppervpn.sourceforge.net/) since it doesn't require any kernel modules. It compiled fine on ARM and seems to work. I just need to finish the config. Thanks for the help.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the distro of choice around here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

the posted:

What's the distro of choice around here?

Whatever you want.