Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Also, search for phallic imagery and queer subtext. With combining robots it isn't very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Maxwell Lord posted:

The site is jumping the gun a bit calling it "confirmed"- it doesn't look like there's a greenlight, but Legendary at least wants it to happen.

A bit? It's a straight up lie.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neowyrm posted:

Next you have to say how much you utterly reviled the film despite still paying enough attention to analyze every single little detail (dusting for fascism-prints) and completely (and most likely purposely) misinterpret all of the information that the film gives you.

That is how to be the true fascismchatter.

We better stop now, or our indignant posting will destroy fascism before the movie even comes out, and that would just be silly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure we should build a complete conception of how the film is fascist before we see it, that way we can all be surprised and bitch about how while everything thinks the film is fascist, it's actually a neo-liberal fantasy underneath all the fascist trappings.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Magnus Condomus posted:

Also, search for phallic imagery and queer subtext. With combining robots it isn't very hard.

I've been thinking about how SMG would analyze the original star wars trilogy, and it would be about closeted homosexuals coming to terms with their sexuality. The empire represents the whole heterosexual culture we all are living in in our da--:shepicide:

Anyways. Cool to see how a Pacific Rim 2 will be out, but I think the first movie was pretty conclusive already. I wonder what the next one will be about.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Voltron - AKA GoLion - represents a return to pre-scientific holistic wisdom. GoLion is a sentient robot that predates Christ and was split apart by a nature goddess in order that he can only reach his full power through humble co-operation. Each lion is associated with a different classical element: Earth, Wind, Air, Fire and Lightning/Aether.

If this sounds familiar, it's because it's the same plot as Captain Planet And The Planeteers. Ted Turner created the series to broadcast this liberal philosophy to the kids.

The multicultural team works together to eliminate bad characters like Verminous Skumm, a literal rat-person who represents 'crime'. Their ultimate enemy is Zarm - a god who is not 'balanced' like Mother Earth.

Christ is, notably, totally alien to this new-age pagan ideology.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 26, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Voltron - AKA GoLion - represents a return to pre-scientific holistic wisdom. GoLion is a sentient robot that predates Christ and was split apart by a nature goddess in order that he can only reach his full power through humble co-operation. Each lion is associated with different classical element: Earth, Wind, Air, Fire and Lightning/Aether.

If this sounds familiar, it's because it's the same plot as Captain Planet And The Planeteers. Ted Turner created the series to broadcast this liberal philosophy to the kids.

The multicultural team works together to eliminate bad characters like Verminous Skumm, a literal rat-person who represents 'crime'. Their ultimate enemy is Zarm - a god who is not 'balanced' like Mother Earth.

the opposite reading is true

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zVxTeflon posted:

Which are you referring to?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Which are you referring to?

The opposite of everything you ever say. They are saying that whatever you say, the opposite is also a true and valid reading.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magnus Condomus posted:

The opposite of everything you ever say. They are saying that whatever you say, the opposite is also a true and valid reading.

C'mon now. Nobody's that stupid.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Voltron - AKA GoLion - represents a return to pre-scientific holistic wisdom. GoLion is a sentient robot that predates Christ and was split apart by a nature goddess in order that he can only reach his full power through humble co-operation. Each lion is associated with different classical element: Earth, Wind, Air, Fire and Lightning/Aether.

Bless you for existing, SuperMechaGodzilla. Bless you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"What I like is to see the emancipatory potential in institutionalized Christianity. Of course, I don’t mean state religion, but I mean the moment of St. Paul. I find a couple of things in it. The idea of the Gospel, or good news, was a totally different logic of emancipation, of justice, of freedom. For example, within a pagan attitude, injustice means a disturbance of the natural order. In ancient Hinduism, or even with Plato, justice was defined in what today we would call almost fascistic terms, each in his or her place in a just order. Man is the benevolent father of the family, women do their job taking care of the family, worker does his work and so on. Each at his post; then injustice means this hubris when one of the elements wants to be born, i.e. instead of in a paternal way, taking care of his population, the king just thinks about his power and how to exploit it. And then in a violent way, balance should be reestablished, or to put it in more abstract cosmological terms, you have cosmic principles like yin and yang. Again, it is the imbalance that needs to establish organic unities. Connected with this is the idea of justice as paying the price as the preexisting established order is balanced.

But the message that the Gospel sends is precisely the radical abandonment of this idea of some kind of natural balance; the idea of Gospels and the part of sins is that freedom is zero. We begin from the zero point, which is at least originally the point of radical equality. Look at what St. Paul is writing and the metaphors he used. It is messianic, the end of time, differences are suspended. It’s a totally different world whose formal structure is that of radical revolution. Even in ancient Greece, you don’t find that—this idea that the world can be turned on its head, that we are not irreducibly bound by the chains of our past. The past can be erased; we can start from the zero point and establish radical justice, so this logic is basically the logic of emancipation. Which is again why I find any flirting with so-called new-age spiritualities extremely dangerous. It is good to know the other side of the story, at least, when you speak about Buddhism and all of these spiritualities. I am sorry, but Nazis did it all. For Hitler, the Bhagavad Gita was a sacred book; he carried it in his pocket all the time. In Nazi Germany there were three institutes for Tibetan studies and five for the study of different sects of Buddhism."

(link)

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Hrmmm *opens dictionary, flips through pages looking for words I highlighted from many repeated readings and begins slamming them together like the robots in Pacific Rim*

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

"What I like is to see the emancipatory potential in institutionalized Christianity. Of course, I don’t mean state religion, but I mean the moment of St. Paul. I find a couple of things in it. The idea of the Gospel, or good news, was a totally different logic of emancipation, of justice, of freedom. For example, within a pagan attitude, injustice means a disturbance of the natural order. In ancient Hinduism, or even with Plato, justice was defined in what today we would call almost fascistic terms, each in his or her place in a just order. Man is the benevolent father of the family, women do their job taking care of the family, worker does his work and so on. Each at his post; then injustice means this hubris when one of the elements wants to be born, i.e. instead of in a paternal way, taking care of his population, the king just thinks about his power and how to exploit it. And then in a violent way, balance should be reestablished, or to put it in more abstract cosmological terms, you have cosmic principles like yin and yang. Again, it is the imbalance that needs to establish organic unities. Connected with this is the idea of justice as paying the price as the preexisting established order is balanced.

But the message that the Gospel sends is precisely the radical abandonment of this idea of some kind of natural balance; the idea of Gospels and the part of sins is that freedom is zero. We begin from the zero point, which is at least originally the point of radical equality. Look at what St. Paul is writing and the metaphors he used. It is messianic, the end of time, differences are suspended. It’s a totally different world whose formal structure is that of radical revolution. Even in ancient Greece, you don’t find that—this idea that the world can be turned on its head, that we are not irreducibly bound by the chains of our past. The past can be erased; we can start from the zero point and establish radical justice, so this logic is basically the logic of emancipation. Which is again why I find any flirting with so-called new-age spiritualities extremely dangerous. It is good to know the other side of the story, at least, when you speak about Buddhism and all of these spiritualities. I am sorry, but Nazis did it all. For Hitler, the Bhagavad Gita was a sacred book; he carried it in his pocket all the time. In Nazi Germany there were three institutes for Tibetan studies and five for the study of different sects of Buddhism."

(link)

the fail is strong with this one :mufasa:

you missed the Debate and Discussion forum, its called the Debate Disco atm. Here's an image I can help you with on your journey :)

Captain Failcon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 26, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure we should build a complete conception of how the film is fascist before we see it, that way we can all be surprised and bitch about how while everything thinks the film is fascist, it's actually a neo-liberal fantasy underneath all the fascist trappings.

Don't forget to verbally fellate Zizek a few times, make some half-baked thaumaturgic analogies, speak in a tone of absolute hubris, and defend your viewpoints with the vigor of an ascetic juggernaut.

For content: anybody get the Cherno Alpha NECA figure in yet? Supposedly it has the spring-loaded punch!

One Amazon reviewer posted:

He just screams the “My fist, your face” mentality.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 26, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The lion that forms the hand - turning against the body, rending it apart.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

(link)

So is this saying multiculturalism/neoliberalism/new age stuff leads to fascism? That being defined by our differences merely seperates us further into classes?

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

I love your bookmarks

Uncle Wemus posted:

So is this saying multiculturalism/neoliberalism/new age stuff leads to fascism? That being defined by our differences merely seperates us further into classes?

To be more specific, some of it's consistent with fascism, some of it's found in fascism, some of it's nicer fascism. I'm not sure about 'separates us further into classes', but I'm sure about 'papers over entrenched class differences' and 'supports the ruling class and capitalism through ideological distortion'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lightanchor posted:

I love your bookmarks

Yeah having Stormfront listed after mocking someone for seeing fascism in media is kind of :ironicat: .

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

computer parts posted:

Yeah having Stormfront listed after mocking someone for seeing fascism in media is kind of :ironicat: .

Also, "Our Hot Wives" and anime stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that you're citing sources and all but you really should be using more of your own words. C+

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Who better to decide whether something has fascism in it or not

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

So is this saying multiculturalism/neoliberalism/new age stuff leads to fascism?

Not so much that it leads to it, but that it's bad for similar reasons. Ted Turner isn't a nazi, and Captain Planet actually fights Hitler at one point.

Nonetheless, his Gaia-worship cartoon literally blames 'crime' on rat-people who worship the wrong god.

This is not far removed from the classic example of Starship Troopers, where you have an international, multicultural fascism. The Earth is united, but it's united against the 'Bug Menace.' As we all know, the point there was that "war makes fascists of us all." Ted Turner is, of course, against this sort of outright, deliberate bigotry. He's against war in general - a total peacenik. This is what allows Captain Planet to be against Hitler: he was born of the Earth goddess, and the enemy god who sows imbalance, disease and discord is a god of war. The result is roughly the same though: Ted Turner just exports violence to the invisible 'third world' so that the multiculture can live in harmony. He merely does unintentionally what the Starship Troopers do intentionally.

Notably, the war-god Zarm has, as his symbol, a map of the earth divided in half. It can't help but recall that Christ does not bring peace - but a sword. The meaning of that statement is that true unity does not come from a 'natural balance', but from a radical imbalance that cuts across all societal boundaries and privileges the weakest.

In the example of Starship Troopers: why don't the lowest humans and the lowest bugs unite against their mutual oppressors? The point of the film is that it's propaganda: the narrative is set up to make any sort of alliance with the bugs appear impossible - even though N.P. Harris has the ability to communicate with them psychically.

The same thing occurs in Pacific Rim. The battle is presented as our side of the rift against theirs, when it should be split along the perpendicular axis, cutting both worlds in half.

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

C'mon now. Nobody's that stupid.

:ironicat:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I used to think SuperMechaGodzilla was a giant insane weirdo, until the other day when I took a closer look at the Pacific Rim poster, and you know what, he's right. He was always right. I bet you he was even right about the Jews doing WTC.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

DrPaper posted:

I used to think SuperMechaGodzilla was a giant insane weirdo, until the other day when I took a closer look at the Pacific Rim poster, and you know what, he's right. He was always right. I bet you he was even right about the Jews doing WTC.

Haha same but don't mock Hitler in this thread, he would never bathe his smegma covered waste in an Aryan tub.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Everyone's still fixated on cocks and Hitler, even though I'd been writing about relatively unrelated subjects like 'corporatism' and 'the phallus'.

Now I'm writing about Gaia worship and Ted Turner. You gotta keep up to stay relevant!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are there any movies like Pacific Rim (heroes rise up to defeat enemy) that don't frame the enemy as unreasonable monsters who must be eliminated? Or rather have movies like this ever properly targeted the correct definition of enemy? Can't quite figure out how to say it but who does it right?

Not trying to be a jerk I actually want to know.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Are there any movies like Pacific Rim (heroes rise up to defeat enemy) that don't frame the enemy as unreasonable monsters who must be eliminated? Or rather have movies like this ever properly targeted the correct definition of enemy? Can't quite figure out how to say it but who does it right?

Godzilla: Final Wars
The Last of the Mohicans
Any movie with Nazis as the villains.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's sort of a spoiler to say so, so I guess I will tag it, but Ender's Game.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Have to go with the East is Red

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Wemus posted:

Battleship. The whole premise of the movie is framed as a misunderstanding.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Wemus posted:

Elysium is my go-to example, but there are quite a few. Battle: Los Angeles, Captain America, AV|P:R...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Binary Badger posted:

For content: anybody get the Cherno Alpha NECA figure in yet? Supposedly it has the spring-loaded punch!
I got it from Amazon, it owns.
The forearm pistons are articulated, but not spring-loaded. Also the whole "reactor" assembly is articulated and can pivot and tilt, which is pretty wacky. If you like Cherno Alpha, it's very worth the $21 or whatever Amazon is asking for it.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
just watched this movie, felt this would've been more enjoyable

i made this in mspaint

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fighting the Kaiju is Charlie work.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Fighting the Kaiju is Charlie work.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but he was cast in Pacific Rim because of his rat slaughter speech.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Slugworth posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but he was cast in Pacific Rim because of his rat slaughter speech.

That is a perfect example of Charlie at his best. He's a fantastic actor and was really the only reason I didn't skip past the story to see wicked Kaiju v Jaeger action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Well that and Toro has been on Its always sunny and I'm sure he had a blast with the cast. Hes been pitching a spinoff.

• Locked thread