Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batu
Nov 10, 2009
I will just google dangan ronpa 2 spoilers if this doesn't finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pnumoman posted:

But no, just call it entitlement when I suggest that the reason why this company can sell those games at all is largely due to orenronen, and it would be cool to have a company acknowledge that. Yes, I may have engaged in some hyperbole when I suggested that it was shady as gently caress to completely ignore orenronen, but going above and beyond to acknowledge a community that gave you a loving new market is pretty drat cool. And I don't see how that's pandering, much less a bizarre concept of PR.

That is the definition of fansub entitlement, yes. Orenronen's LP certainly helped generated fan interest in the game but he didn't make the games. He did not write them, code them, script them, or in any format create the product. This is not to disrespect the hard work he did in making a good and engaging LP but what he did was present a product that already existed. There is a not-insignificant chance that Danganronpa would have gotten some form of English release even if this LP didn't exist because Danganronpa was an increasingly popular franchise in Japan and got a Vita re-release which allowed it to be published on a modern system. The LP certainly contributed to the active interest in the game but the franchise itself was popular enough that one of the many import companies would likely have looked at it. I mean Atlus USA is publishing Conception II, a game by the same developer and in which Monokuma has a cameo and DLC.

You cited the Game Center CX translations but appear to have completely misunderstood what happened there. Game Center CX got an English release because the Japanese company specifically was shopping it overseas. They were doing this before any significant fansubbing efforts were underway. Dubbed versions of the episodes existed and were the ones they were originally promoting. The SA Game Center CX translations were not purchased by the company, nor officially recognized by the company. One of the translators who did fansubs went on to work on the offical release but even in that case they were not using the SA translation, and it was not a case of the company going "man, you fansubbers are great," it was a case of the translator being hired on their own merits and connections. Even after being hired they specifically didn't just reuse their SACX scripts but gave it a new and more thorough translation.

And all of this is ignoring that they literally could not have just 'used orenonen's script' because it was unfinished. A huge chunk of the incidental dialogue, Free Time events and various other content was not part of the LP. (For understandable reasons.) Not to mention that the entirety of the School Mode added into the Vita re-release was not even touched for obvious reasons. Any good translator would probably have to translate the game from scratch anyway just to assure that context, word choice, character voice, and various other factors all mesh. Someone translating Mondo's dialogue for School Mode would innately write it differently from oronronen. You can even see the difference in writing style just with the fact that the DR2 LP has a dedicated editor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 5, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I appreciate your post, ImpAtom. You worded that much better than I could have, and you nailed every fundamental point.

It's also worth mentioning that Orenronen has been very modest and gracious about his work and the way people have received it. Those who claim that he deserves some kind of reward or recognition from NIS (because he had first dibs or whatever other reason) are doing more harm to him and his reputation than good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I appreciate your post, ImpAtom. You worded that much better than I could have, and you nailed every fundamental point.

It's also worth mentioning that Orenronen has been very modest and gracious about his work and the way people have received it. Those who claim that he deserves some kind of reward or recognition from NIS (because he had first dibs or whatever other reason) are doing more harm to him and his reputation than good.

Yeah, I have to completely agree with that. For all that this discussion popped up in this thread, at no point have I ever felt like Orenronen is anything but a gracious fan who really enjoyed showing off something he liked and is honestly glad to see other people enjoy it as well. It's part of why I'm really looking forward to seeing what else he wants to work on because if it is something he's interested in dedicating the time and effort into translating, it's almost certainly going to be something fun and worthwhile.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wonder how difficult it would be to port Orenronen's script into the English re-release. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to port Orenronen's script into the English re-release. :allears:

Shut the gently caress up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is modding games not a thing where you live?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The point is that it comes off as kind of weird and fan-worshippy to put oren's translation on a pedestal, when the official English script will in all likelihood be perfectly fine(it was for DR1, why would 2 be different?).

Orenronen's done good work, and I appreciate his insights into the translation process, but he's not the only person in the world who can make a good danganronpa translation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

The point is that it comes off as kind of weird and fan-worshippy to put oren's translation on a pedestal, when the official English script will in all likelihood be perfectly fine(it was for DR1, why would 2 be different?).

Orenronen's done good work, and I appreciate his insights into the translation process, but he's not the only person in the world who can make a good danganronpa translation.

Thank you, that is a good and well articulated point, I generally don't think of it like that, I think of it the same way I do when I put the voices of the cast of Top Gear into World of Tanks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thank you, that is a good and well articulated point, I generally don't think of it like that, I think of it the same way I do when I put the voices of the cast of Top Gear into World of Tanks.

Uh, what?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

He's saying that he wasn't viewing modding in orenronen's translation as some sort of weird devotion to this as the "one true version," but more akin to replacing voice clips in a game with different ones.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Tesseraction posted:

/

REMOVED

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Spider
Nov 9, 2012

edit: its nsfw. youve been warned

El Spider fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 23, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Now, with no updates and no nerds to make fun of, the goons resort to barbarism.

This game comes out in September, right? I'm still looking forward to Oren's final(?) update, because I suck at mysteries and I'll only beat this game through trial and error. It's how I beat Phoenix Wright.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Haifisch posted:

He may not be the only person in the world who can make a good translation, but he seems to be the only person in the world with the good sense enough to use "Super High School Level".

I certainly don't hold his DR1 translation on any kind of pedestal; it's rough around the edges for sure seeing as it was done by, you know, one single person. But some of NIS' choices are just plain stupid.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

EdgeryWorthy posted:

He may not be the only person in the world who can make a good translation, but he seems to be the only person in the world with the good sense enough to use "Super High School Level".

I certainly don't hold his DR1 translation on any kind of pedestal; it's rough around the edges for sure seeing as it was done by, you know, one single person. But some of NIS' choices are just plain stupid.

I really can't overstate enough how much of a shame I think it is that the SHSL Translation Patch is cancelled; I was really, really happy with how that was turning out word-wise.

I mean, of course I'd think that, doing editing for it, but man, it was really good, you guys.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fedule posted:

I really can't overstate enough how much of a shame I think it is that the SHSL Translation Patch is cancelled; I was really, really happy with how that was turning out word-wise.

I mean, of course I'd think that, doing editing for it, but man, it was really good, you guys.

I, for one, can't wait to see that comparison between the different translations that either you or Admiral H. Curtiss said would happen because your editing is pretty great and some of HelloWinter's graphics were phenomenal, like the English magazine covers or Judge Monobear.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ChaosArgate posted:

I, for one, can't wait to see that comparison between the different translations that either you or Admiral H. Curtiss said would happen because your editing is pretty great and some of HelloWinter's graphics were phenomenal, like the English magazine covers or Judge Monobear.

Oh god I completely forgot about that, which is kinda terrifying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps HelloWinter has more time to do Phoenix Wright now that Dangan Ronpa seems to come to an end?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

EdgeryWorthy posted:

If it's any consolation, the Funimation sub of the anime also went with "Super High School Level".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps HelloWinter has more time to do Phoenix Wright now that Dangan Ronpa seems to come to an end?
:getin:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

I miss that thread a lot, but wouldn't she have to reupload all of the old updates so people could catch up? Talk about a deluge of images.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So is this thread for definite finished, or close to finished? What a shame.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Patter Song posted:

I miss that thread a lot, but wouldn't she have to reupload all of the old updates so people could catch up? Talk about a deluge of images.

Huh? She would only need to reopen her thread? A quick look makes me think all images are still there:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490301

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Torrannor posted:

Huh? She would only need to reopen her thread? A quick look makes me think all images are still there:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490301

That thread's been moved to archives, so it's permanently stuck there. She'd have to make a whole new thread.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

eating only apples posted:

Oren has stated on twitter (or was it here?) that the reason he hasn't been updating is due to him being busy since he's permanently moving to Japan. At the very least, I think he said he would definitely finish Chapter 3.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

eating only apples posted:

oren has said we'll at least see this chapter to the end. But as far as he was indicating during the interview on that podcast he's probably gonna stop.

BlazeEmblem posted:

If it's any consolation, the Funimation sub of the anime also went with "Super High School Level".

It might have been a consolation if that anime had been twice the length.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fedule posted:

You should throw what you finished up anyways, imo.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Patter Song posted:

... I was thinking of doing something special to catch up with where we got so far with the LP. But we shall see how that goes when we get there. :allears:

The good news is that I've got my Windows PC back with all the work files so I just need to get off my lazy butt.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I much more prefer this this LP over playing a localized version cause there's some stuff that just doesn't translate well that benefit greatly from being able to have long translator's notes that just plain wouldn't work in a translated game.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

HelloWinter posted:

... I was thinking of doing something special to catch up with where we got so far with the LP. But we shall see how that goes when we get there. :allears:

The good news is that I've got my Windows PC back with all the work files so I just need to get off my lazy butt.

HelloWinter you spoil us so :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, yes. If this means that HelloWinter starts doing Phoenix Wright LPs again, I don't mind if this LP ends here and now.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Booourns posted:

I much more prefer this this LP over playing a localized version cause there's some stuff that just doesn't translate well that benefit greatly from being able to have long translator's notes that just plain wouldn't work in a translated game.

Actually, a game translated by an actual capable person does not need translator's notes and also doesn't keep the stupid honorifics

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Actually, a game translated by an actual capable person does not need translator's notes and also doesn't keep the stupid honorifics

I think he's saying that it's good to know the background of the original Japanese when it was noteworthy, I'm pretty sure most of Oren's translation notes are more like directors commentary than required reading, so I'd say he's capable.

I agree with the earlier poster that it's nice to get the inside scoop on the process with Fed and Oren's notes, and that obviously is lost in an official translation. That being said, I'm also someone who really doesn't like the Honorifics either. I think if it can't be translated 'properly' the correct course isn't to not translate them and leave them in.

But that discussion has been done to death already.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

It's a matter of taste. Are annotated editions of translated classics "incompetently translated" by definition? Obviously I'm not comparing the cultural importance of Dangan Ronpa to that of something like Anna Karenina by any stretch, but the point still holds. Some of us like to learn something, no matter how small, while we're consuming our media. Certainly a translated and published copy of a game to actually play is not the place for translator's notes, but an LP can be, and that's one reason why people appreciate it, myself included.

As for honorifics, that discussion has indeed been done to death. I will simply observe that as someone who has interacted with the international scientific community, there are absolutely English speakers who use them. English-speaking scientists who don't speak another word of Japanese will refer to their Japanese colleagues as -san or -sensei, not Mr./Mrs./Ms./Dr. Thus-and-So.

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea

Confused Llama posted:

As for honorifics, that discussion has indeed been done to death. I will simply observe that as someone who has interacted with the international scientific community, there are absolutely English speakers who use them. English-speaking scientists who don't speak another word of Japanese will refer to their Japanese colleagues as -san or -sensei, not Mr./Mrs./Ms./Dr. Thus-and-So.

This happens where I work as well (in between the Japanese employees speaking to each other in English as well). On the other hand, nobody does this for the Koreans, so either they don't know enough Korean or they're all secret anime nerds.

Personally I think it's fine to leave language honorifics in when the story is in a native or historical setting. This isn't any different from a translation of The Count of Monte Cristo leaving in "monsieur", and nobody's ever been upset about that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

HelloWinter posted:

Your AA LP was one of the best LPs around and I was terribly sad that it ended just when the game was getting to its best bits. I mean I don't blame you since it is obviously a ton of effort but still, I miss that thread and all the sky/ceiling shenanigans and great fanart in it. Would be great to see it alive again.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Mr VacBob posted:

Personally I think it's fine to leave language honorifics in when the story is in a native or historical setting. This isn't any different from a translation of The Count of Monte Cristo leaving in "monsieur", and nobody's ever been upset about that.

In the first game Japanese name order was a plot point in the third trial with Celes' real name and Yamada's insistence on calling everyone Lastname Firstname-dono, so it made a lot of sense keeping it in there, and continuing it in this LP is just consistency.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Confused Llama posted:

It's a matter of taste. Are annotated editions of translated classics "incompetently translated" by definition? Obviously I'm not comparing the cultural importance of Dangan Ronpa to that of something like Anna Karenina by any stretch, but the point still holds. Some of us like to learn something, no matter how small, while we're consuming our media. Certainly a translated and published copy of a game to actually play is not the place for translator's notes, but an LP can be, and that's one reason why people appreciate it, myself included.

When I read Brothers Karamazov, there were some Polish nobles that got into a conflict with Dmitri and the version I was using had them be called Panie whatever rather than translating Panie as Sir, and included a footnote. I don't get the idea that properly-translated things don't have linguistic footnotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Patter Song posted:

When I read Brothers Karamazov, there were some Polish nobles that got into a conflict with Dmitri and the version I was using had them be called Panie whatever rather than translating Panie as Sir, and included a footnote. I don't get the idea that properly-translated things don't have linguistic footnotes.

The difference is that you were reading a book. While translator's notes are perfectly compatible with that format, no one wants to pause the game at odd moments to look up what obscure honorific the murderee just used. Plus, no such function exists in the original game, which means even more recoding.

• Locked thread