Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you can still do it on Android it must not be a cost issue.

Maybe Apple decided to be arbitrary assholes again now that they're owned by a competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

petewhitley posted:

Here's a very well-thought-out editorial (by Gerry Conway) on why the changes Amazon brought to ComiXology are so disappointing.
The problem with this article, and it's a common one around the internet, is the assumption that Apple will stay on top of the heap in tablet marketshare. Well they aren't any more, not even close. He doesn't mention that the integrated store and impulse buying options are alive and well on Android, which speaks more to the lovely walled garden Apple has created than some evil plans by Amazon to sell more Kindles.

Also as mentioned Apple could have easily been the one to snap up this company, and I'm pretty certain they would gently caress it up an order of magnitude worse than pulling IAPs from one platform.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

On average, about how much time has been added to each purchase by this update?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Couple of minutes for individual books, but it saves time on multiple.

The one legitimate argument I saw was that now you can't use iTunes credit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

This isn't the issue at hand whatsoever.

Syrinxx posted:

The problem with this article, and it's a common one around the internet, is the assumption that Apple will stay on top of the heap in tablet marketshare. Well they aren't any more, not even close. He doesn't mention that the integrated store and impulse buying options are alive and well on Android, which speaks more to the lovely walled garden Apple has created than some evil plans by Amazon to sell more Kindles.

This is a good point to an extent, but raw market share isn't indicative of where the digital comic dollars are being spent. It's not exactly a trade secret either that the battle being waged here and now is between Apple and Amazon, regardless of what the future may bring.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

petewhitley posted:

This isn't the issue at hand whatsoever.

Pardon the hell out of me for being curious.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Trast posted:

That article seems to very "the sky is falling" when at most it just added another step to buying a comic for Ipad users. Also you can't tell me Apple wouldn't have done the same thing to the android platforms if they'd bought Comixology.

1) It takes what was previously a seamless experience and requires you to change apps, then change back and begin the download.
2) It removes the option to pay with iTunes credit.
3) It was done with no warning or announcement, meaning there was no chance for anyone who had iTunes credit stored to use it up.
4) It added no additional functionality or benefit whatsoever.

You can argue Apple might've done the same -- we don't know. I doubt it, personally, since it seems like it's going to be a net reduction in sales. That's all speculation. Either way, it's not a good move, and just because a competitor would do it too doesn't make it one.

Sarchasm posted:

It depends. They've done a bit to make the mobile site better. But my general comic buying pattern tends to be "Buy the first arc on the website, read it, if I like it, start buying it through the iPad as I get to the end of an issue." That's basically gone, or at least so much less convenient that I'm not going to bother. It's certainly cutting down on my impulse buying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Aphrodite posted:

If you can still do it on Android it must not be a cost issue.

Maybe Apple decided to be arbitrary assholes again now that they're owned by a competitor.

They did remove Google from the buying process on Android. The difference is Google doesn't care if you offer your own store within the app that bypasses them, so you can still buy things from the app. That's why you now have to put in your payment info into the app unlike before.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Aside from the iTunes credit issue this hasn't cut off iPad users from actually buying content to read on their device so I see it as a minor issue. And if the market responds badly to it there could very well be a reversal of policy. Personally I'm hoping they integrate the Comixology app with purchases on Amazon proper as I have some collections on kindle I picked up on sale.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The shittiest part about it is the complete lack of notice.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, at least they made their website a LOT better for tablet browsing than before, right in time for this. I started only looking at the new releases via the website late last year when I finally realized that the iOS app didn't actually list all of the additions due to Apple's censorship policies. (Granted most of the time that was only applicable to vomitorium stuff like Crossed but even so...)

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Not to turn this into an argument about the tablet business, but there are countless sources which show that iOS generates far more revenue than any of the other mobile platforms, regardless of raw marketshare. This is perhaps the ballsiest part of Amazon's move to remove the iOS store component. Comixology was a top grossing app every Wednesday, which means Amazon could now be leaving a fair amount of that money on the table. It is also much more difficult for a casual fan to stumble into new titles.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
To be fair, anyone on the lookout for bundles or special discount codes was already using the webstore. Not to mention bypassing the lovely €/$ exchange rate.

I'm still annoyed by this move because of integration issues, having 2 apps and no warning given but the store was better, when you knew what you were looking for.

I liked the random browsing from the app though, following links to links to links.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vtlock posted:

Not to turn this into an argument about the tablet business, but there are countless sources which show that iOS generates far more revenue than any of the other mobile platforms, regardless of raw marketshare. This is perhaps the ballsiest part of Amazon's move to remove the iOS store component. Comixology was a top grossing app every Wednesday, which means Amazon could now be leaving a fair amount of that money on the table. It is also much more difficult for a casual fan to stumble into new titles.

People buying weekly releases aren't going anywhere.

It's the impulse buys they lost.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think GC's comments on new users having to go from the app to website is a good one.

I have 90 gigs. What the gently caress do I do to manage things? Change over and have everything marked as new? Theres no way to mark as read without clicking on each one and waiting a few seconds.

It's a mess and it's my comic collection, one of the most anal things that's ever existed. I'm frustrated.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hadji murad posted:

I think GC's comments on new users having to go from the app to website is a good one.

I have 90 gigs. What the gently caress do I do to manage things? Change over and have everything marked as new? Theres no way to mark as read without clicking on each one and waiting a few seconds.

It's a mess and it's my comic collection, one of the most anal things that's ever existed. I'm frustrated.

You can just leave the current app how it is.

They can't force you to delete out of date apps.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Now I'm imagining them closing comixology and routing everything though iBooks.

Oh God :stonk:

2000ad is using newsstand as their base app and it's not too bad. No guided view tho.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can just leave the current app how it is.

They can't force you to delete out of date apps.

Yes I have two apps now. One which won't be updated that shows what I've read and what I haven't.

Also, curious how time zones will work. We usually get a 1pm update on Monday, Tuesday and Friday with sales because of the app. Maybe it's all in Eastern time now?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

Pardon the hell out of me for being curious.

I'm sorry man that came out wrong. Didn't mean to be a prick about it.

But I personally already find myself less likely to pick up new comics with these changes. After less than a week. For all the reasons others have mentioned, even knowing how simple it is to hop over to the website, it's just not the same as being in-app and impulse buying the next issue. If in-the-know-geeks are already feeling like this it really is a shame that they've added this layer of inaccessibility for newer, less committed readers. I think as dedicated comic-reading goons it's easy to overlook how stuff like this is a barrier to the average reader.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

petewhitley posted:

I'm sorry man that came out wrong. Didn't mean to be a prick about it.

But I personally already find myself less likely to pick up new comics with these changes. After less than a week. For all the reasons others have mentioned, even knowing how simple it is to hop over to the website, it's just not the same as being in-app and impulse buying the next issue. If in-the-know-geeks are already feeling like this it really is a shame that they've added this layer of inaccessibility for newer, less committed readers. I think as dedicated comic-reading goons it's easy to overlook how stuff like this is a barrier to the average reader.

Well look at it this way, you'll save money on less impulse buys. :v:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
If you can't wait a few more seconds to buy a comic book then did you really want it in the first place?

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
The Comixology changes made me think of this article: http://www.wired.com/2013/09/ev-williams-xoxo/

The key to making a fortune online, Williams told the XOXO crowd, is to remove extra steps from common activities as he did with Blogger.

“Here’s the formula if you want to build a billion-dollar internet company,” he said. “Take a human desire, preferably one that has been around for a really long time…Identify that desire and use modern technology to take out steps.”

I understand that the guy who founded Blogger isn't at quite the same level as the guy who founded Amazon, but the dude makes a good point. Additional steps were added to a previously streamlined process which is both counterintuitive and frustrating. The steps now required are really no less than pirating - although you don't have to create an account and enter payment info into Piratebay.

Personally, I had a routine with the app that really fostered a lot of impulse buys and with that routine being disrupted, I've already found myself not checking the website when I would have checked the app. If I'm not checking the website, I'm not spending money. Bummed my previously awesome experience has been diminished but certainly curious as to how things develop.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

PoshAlligator posted:

If you can't wait a few more seconds to buy a comic book then did you really want it in the first place?

It's a weird complaint for customers to be sure, but cutting off those purchases boggles the mind from the business end. I think that's what is so frustrating (aside from the Google credit I'll now have to spend on anything else).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

You are looking at some of the best comics of the last year for nothing.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Waterhaul posted:

Image just decided to team up with HumbleBundle for some ridiculously cheap comics :stare:

Yeah, that's ridiculous, even better in some instances than the Image Eisner sale a couple of weeks ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FeedRobots posted:

The Comixology changes made me think of this article: http://www.wired.com/2013/09/ev-williams-xoxo/

The key to making a fortune online, Williams told the XOXO crowd, is to remove extra steps from common activities as he did with Blogger.

“Here’s the formula if you want to build a billion-dollar internet company,” he said. “Take a human desire, preferably one that has been around for a really long time…Identify that desire and use modern technology to take out steps.”

I understand that the guy who founded Blogger isn't at quite the same level as the guy who founded Amazon, but the dude makes a good point. Additional steps were added to a previously streamlined process which is both counterintuitive and frustrating. The steps now required are really no less than pirating - although you don't have to create an account and enter payment info into Piratebay.
It's still easier than pirating. To get Comixology comics to my iPad, I can still do it all on that iPad. To get pirated comics, I need another computer to do most of the work from.

And yay Image!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I must be an outlier because I swear I've bought more stuff from Comixology than i usually do at one time, general I'll just grab a few issues or volumes at a time but i got Gen 13 and Dance In The Vampire Bund all at once. Also subscribed to a four titles and got a bundle, which I didn't know were available until I had to use the site.
Anyone know if there is any possibility of graphic novels and manga titles that are in the Amazon kindle library being put on to Comixology?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 29, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Well I'll obviously be picking these up.

What app would people recommend for reading these on Android? (Nexus 7)

e:
^^
In Comixology emails they keep saying things like "growing manga library" so they're probably aiming towards that.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

PoshAlligator posted:

Well I'll obviously be picking these up.

e:
^^
In Comixology emails they keep saying things like "growing manga library" so they're probably aiming towards that.

HumbleBundle.com recommends Moon+ Reader, but I only know that because I looked at the FAQ after buying mine for a friend asking the same question. I use Comics Zeal on iOS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

What's the format? For CBR/CBZ I like Komik, but it hasn't been working for me lately on my Nook. :'(

I've been using Comics Reader while I find out what's wrong with Komik. It works, but there are issues I have with it (don't see how to look at page thumbnails, can't seem to pinch-to-zoom, setting up a library is a pain).

If it's PDF, I've yet to find a good solution. My devices always seem to slow down and flipping pages quickly always causes stuff to freeze.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

What's the format? For CBR/CBZ I like Komik, but it hasn't been working for me lately on my Nook. :'(

I've been using Comics Reader while I find out what's wrong with Komik. It works, but there are issues I have with it (don't see how to look at page thumbnails, can't seem to pinch-to-zoom, setting up a library is a pain).

If it's PDF, I've yet to find a good solution. My devices always seem to slow down and flipping pages quickly always causes stuff to freeze.

They give it as a PDF, EPUB, .cbr, and .cbz.

Looks like there's a button to load it straight into my Google Books library so I'll see how that pans out.
e: it's not a button it's a drop-down set of instructions as to how to upload them yourself so there's that.

I'll look into Komik, thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I find it funny that you unlock volume 1 and 20 of the Walking Dead. Nice work, boys!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PoshAlligator posted:

They give it as a PDF, EPUB, .cbr, and .cbz.

Looks like there's a button to load it straight into my Google Books library so I'll see how that pans out.
e: it's not a button it's a drop-down set of instructions as to how to upload them yourself so there's that.

I'll look into Komik, thanks!

Yeah, I always go with CBR/CBZ files every time. They just work better on tablets.

Google Books will convert PDFs into a format readable by the Google Books app. That works well except there is a file size limit for what the program will convert. So, doesn't work too well for big books/TPBs/collections. Good job! It's obviously designed for books of text, not comics. And sometimes things just don't covert even though they are supposed to and there is no way of telling why it didn't work or how to make it try again.

Personally, I use a cloud storage service and set Komik to look at that app's download folder. Then, any time something gets added to the folder, Komik will update with the new books and thumbnails and everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LordPants posted:

I find it funny that you unlock volume 1 and 20 of the Walking Dead. Nice work, boys!

Why? It the first one, and the latest one to be released. If they want new readera it's smart to go with recent issues.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Anyone know if there is any possibility of graphic novels and manga titles that are in the Amazon kindle library being put on to Comixology?

It would be interesting especially because of all the 2000Ad collections that are on the Kindle but not Comixology. I expect it would happen some time down the line.

Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon killed off their "kindle comics" entirely and moved everything to comixology. It would make sense as the Kindle reader is more than a bit crap for comics but, price wise, they're a lot cheaper (in the UK at least)

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Anime_Otaku posted:

I must be an outlier because I swear I've bought more stuff from Comixology than i usually do at one time, general I'll just grab a few issues or volumes at a time but i got Gen 13 and Dance In The Vampire Bund all at once. Also subscribed to a four titles and got a bundle, which I didn't know were available until I had to use the site.

While it seems like they'd be ok license-wise, I imagine they'd want/need to take some time to make the titles guided view compatible. And if that's a burden they put on the publishers (as it is now, I believe?), that could take some time.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

Dance In The Vampire Bund

Isn't that a straight up pedophile manga? :stare: My only experience with it is being mildly intrigued by it at Borders ages ago, opening it, seeing a 2-page ultra-detailed spread of a naked little girl, and immediately going NOPE and putting it back.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Isn't that a straight up pedophile manga? :stare: My only experience with it is being mildly intrigued by it at Borders ages ago, opening it, seeing a 2-page ultra-detailed spread of a naked little girl, and immediately going NOPE and putting it back.

It definitly has a bit content that will make some uncomfortable but it's I doubt anyone would see it as titilating unless they're that way inclined, scenes where shes not dressed are uncomfortable and either played for drama or otherwise play off the male lead's discomfort with her body not fitting the fact she's 400 years old and acts like an adult most of the time.
If anything it's more political thriller with gory fighting and primerily western medieval supernatural themes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Has a digital manga storefront come to the fore? I asked about a year ago, but maybe things have changed. Basically, I'd like to read Monster and wouldn't mind owning a copy of 20th Century Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Not to my knowledge, the closest you can get is Comixology or Kindle's offerings with the added step of having to use their websites or subscribing to Crunchyroll's manga service but it's still pretty small right now.