Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

withak posted:

Yeah for some reason I was thinking that connecting it via USB was an option, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

It probably has a USB port on it. But the port is likely for connecting a USB hard drive or other usb device to the NAS itself. This lets you use the NAS as a print server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I currently have a WDTV Live and I think its finally poo poo the bed. I'm thinking of getting a Roku 3 as a replacement. I don't really use streaming services. I just really need a way to play the movies I have on my external hard drive and I do not have a smart tv yet.

The biggest issue I've had with my WDTV has been its very finicky choices on what it will play. It used to play 95% of the movies I downloaded. As of about a month ago, it now plays about 40% of them and I have no idea why. Is Roku any better in this regard or is it the same?

I will eventually build an HTPC but I don't have the money or desire at the moment. So I want something simple that I can just plug in and use.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I currently have a WDTV Live and I think its finally poo poo the bed. I'm thinking of getting a Roku 3 as a replacement. I don't really use streaming services. I just really need a way to play the movies I have on my external hard drive and I do not have a smart tv yet.

The biggest issue I've had with my WDTV has been its very finicky choices on what it will play. It used to play 95% of the movies I downloaded. As of about a month ago, it now plays about 40% of them and I have no idea why. Is Roku any better in this regard or is it the same?

I will eventually build an HTPC but I don't have the money or desire at the moment. So I want something simple that I can just plug in and use.

Roku doesn't do that well with local media unless you have a computer running Plex. It is primarily used for streaming services. You can plug a hard drive into the Roku but it is pretty limited as to what types of files it can read.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roku only streams. To stream stuff from your computer to your Roku you install Plex, which can handle any format.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Well, that's actually better than having to transfer my hard drive between my pc and WDTV or Roku to add movies. I can just keep everything on my pc and stream it to the Roku.

Any negatives with Plex and Roku working together?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just make sure your PC can handle transcoding and you'll have to leave your computer on all the time.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Well, that's actually better than having to transfer my hard drive between my pc and WDTV or Roku to add movies. I can just keep everything on my pc and stream it to the Roku.

Any negatives with Plex and Roku working together?

FCKGW posted:

Just make sure your PC can handle transcoding and you'll have to leave your computer on all the time.

If you've got that covered, Plex is probably the best media server I've ever used. The only hitch is subtitles act a bit weird. :( I'm using Tiny size and it's still a bit big for my taste. There's also an option for "music" for some shows. Turn it off. It lags my Roku 3 so bad.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 29, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irritated Goat posted:

If you've got that covered, Plex is probably the best media server I've ever used. The only hitch is subtitles act a bit weird. :( I'm using Tiny size and it's still a bit big for my taste. There's also an option for "music" for some shows. Turn it off. It lags my Roku 3 so bad.

Yeah, embedded subtitles can be wonky with Plex. If you get external SRT alternatives and load those instead (they're easy to find), they almost always look infinitely better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just sold my parents on the idea of a Roku; they love watching obscure polish standup comedy on youtube and I lent them my R3 to try. The only complaint they had was that it's annoying to search youtube using the on screen keyboard + remote. Anyone know if they've got any plans to integrate USB keyboard support? It's got a USB port but I gather it's just for stuff like photos/etc :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Martytoof posted:

Just sold my parents on the idea of a Roku; they love watching obscure polish standup comedy on youtube and I lent them my R3 to try. The only complaint they had was that it's annoying to search youtube using the on screen keyboard + remote. Anyone know if they've got any plans to integrate USB keyboard support? It's got a USB port but I gather it's just for stuff like photos/etc :(

Do your parents have smartphones? If so, tell them to install the Roku app which you can use to search via voice or keyboard.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They do! Didn't even realize this existed, thanks :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140423005395/en/Amazon-HBO-Ink-Exclusive-Multi-Year-Deal-Bring#.U1fL0eZdU01

Looks like HBO is going with Amazon Prime to stream their older stuff, including "The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more." Newer stuff will appear three years after airing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

withak posted:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140423005395/en/Amazon-HBO-Ink-Exclusive-Multi-Year-Deal-Bring#.U1fL0eZdU01

Looks like HBO is going with Amazon Prime to stream their older stuff, including "The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Big Love, Deadwood, Eastbound & Down, Family Tree, Enlightened, Treme, early seasons of Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, as well as mini-series like Band of Brothers, John Adams and more." Newer stuff will appear three years after airing.

This is really good news. Will help justify the price hike for Prime.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wow 3 years is a long wait but I understand why. One step closer to HBO without a cable sub.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What speed internet connection would you recommend for a roku?

Also, with a roku, are there actual channels? As in the way 'traditional' channels are and that I don't have to hand pick every show I want to watch? I unfortunately don't get any OTA channels where I am at and I would like to get something like Retro TV where they just play back to back old shows/movies.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dr.Caligari posted:

What speed internet connection would you recommend for a roku?

Also, with a roku, are there actual channels? As in the way 'traditional' channels are and that I don't have to hand pick every show I want to watch? I unfortunately don't get any OTA channels where I am at and I would like to get something like Retro TV where they just play back to back old shows/movies.

Well Netflix uses 3Mbps for their "HD" streams so at least 5 down would be OK depending on how heavy an internet user you are when streaming (Steam downloads, pic heavy sites, etc). If you want Vudu HDX apparently they go to 10+ Mbps so...you would need something a little faster.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

"Nowhere TV" has a lot of streaming news channels that show live content. Some seem to be on all the time and others only come on during the scheduled news hours. I sometimes watch it to see local news from different parts of the country.

"Nowhere Archive" has old programs and movies but it's more of a click and play thing than a select channel and watch live TV thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Roku 2 ($50), Roku 3 ($80-90), or Fire TV ($100)?

For Netflix and renting movies and TV individually from Amazon, but NO AMAZON PRIME.

Brock Landers posted:

Do the cable companies pay the broadcasters like CBS fees though? I thought they were forced to carry them by the FCC.
Broadcasters actually have a choice - they can charge nothing which forces cable companies to carry them, or they can charge a fee, which means cable companies are free to drop them.

Guess which one all the networks picked?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cardboard Box A posted:

Roku 2 ($50), Roku 3 ($80-90), or Fire TV ($100)?

For Netflix and renting movies and TV individually from Amazon, but NO AMAZON PRIME.

Broadcasters actually have a choice - they can charge nothing which forces cable companies to carry them, or they can charge a fee, which means cable companies are free to drop them.

Guess which one all the networks picked?

I've got the Roku 3 and would definitely recommend it to a cord cutter. Pretty much every service available is on it, and I find that I use it more than my Roamio. It's much snappier than the Roku first Gen in my bedroom.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Amazon is offering to long time members $20 a month payment plan for the Fire TV, I almost went for it but no hbo go and ustvnow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Photex posted:

Amazon is offering to long time members $20 a month payment plan for the Fire TV, I almost went for it but no hbo go and ustvnow.

Over how many months?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Photex posted:

I wish firetv allowed for multiple amazon accounts since we leach a family members prime account for streaming. But i dont want to buy apps under their account.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Over how many months?

I bet five because six would be 20% interest.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah there is no interest or fees just 20 a month till its paid for, they are going for market share which is worth more than the interest they'd make on 100

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can anyone confirm that the voice search doesn't include your Plex server? Googling sounds like voice search works for amazon content only.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

withak posted:

Can anyone confirm that the voice search doesn't include your Plex server? Googling sounds like voice search works for amazon content only.

Probably, roku search doesn't include your plex stuff either

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Photex posted:

Official HBO Go is coming later this year and you can all sideboard android apps (like HBO GO :) but you need a controller or mouse to control it)

withak posted:

Voice can only do Amazon/Hulu/Vivo at the moment. Netflix is suppose to be coming soon and it seems like it's reliant on app makers to opt in.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Silly Burrito posted:

I've got the Roku 3 and would definitely recommend it to a cord cutter. Pretty much every service available is on it, and I find that I use it more than my Roamio. It's much snappier than the Roku first Gen in my bedroom.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Any Fire TV users have any input?

withak posted:

Photex posted:

Probably, roku search doesn't include your plex stuff either

Call Me Charlie posted:

Voice can only do Amazon/Hulu/Vivo at the moment. Netflix is suppose to be coming soon and it seems like it's reliant on app makers to opt in.
Wait, no Netflix voice search yet? That's too bad.

It seems like the Fire TV is a bit early and undercooked... though Roku doesn't have anything like voice search to compare. What do Roku users use for searching with the Roku?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

It seems like the Fire TV is a bit early and undercooked... though Roku doesn't have anything like voice search to compare. What do Roku users use for searching with the Roku?

I've had a Roku for ˜2 years and have never used the search. Generally I know what I want to watch and just navigate there directly. If I ever had to actually search to find something I would probably just use a web browser. Even if it actually indexed everything, Amazon's voice search is probably more useful as voice navigation where you don't have to click through whatever apps or menus to get to the thing that you want to watch.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cardboard Box A posted:

What do Roku users use for searching with the Roku?

The remote itself (on-screen keyboard), but I rarely do this, honestly. I'll usually be in the native app that I'm using if I have to search, but the Roku 3's search does work nicely if you don't know if something is on Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I use my phone as a remote so I can quickly type out whatever I am looking for.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ah, I see what you mean. It looks like the Roku has phone apps for android and iOS and you can use your phone keyboard from the app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJ2taHM2UM

(4 minutes in)

While not as siri-like as voice search, I assume it is just as fast, and it appears that it works for searching any app, not just Amazon/Hulu+/not yet Netflix.

I can't find any info on Amazon's Fire TV having any sort of remote app like this, so I assume that it doesn't have one yet. I think this really equalizes the playing field between them.

Grabbed one of the last two Roku 2 XD's on sale for $50 locally, and I'll see how it is. I'll check out the FireTV and Roku 3 later on if I feel the Roku 2 is lacking.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can I sandwich a Mohu Leaf between the wall and my wall-mounted HDTV and still get good reception? I live in house in a suburban area.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the posted:

Can I sandwich a Mohu Leaf between the wall and my wall-mounted HDTV and still get good reception? I live in house in a suburban area.

Nobody knows until you try it. Every house and gps coordinate will have different reception. Though i can say that would not be optimal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

the posted:

Maybe.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Echoing what other goons have said, if you can go buy an antenna and try it first, that is your best bet.

That being said, I live in small borough and can't get poo poo on any antenna I've tried. When it does work, it is nothing but glitchy sounds and digitally distorted picture, which blows.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody knows until you try it. Every house and gps coordinate will have different reception. Though i can say that would not be optimal.

I have my TV mounted right against the wall, and I hide my leaf antenna behind it. I live on the second floor of a condo, and it can get a little snowy sometimes, overall it works great.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I have my TV mounted right against the wall, and I hide my leaf antenna behind it. I live on the second floor of a condo, and it can get a little snowy sometimes, overall it works great.

But your experience has no bearing on his experience.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It shows that it is probably worth trying out, that being mounted behind the TV doesn't automatically make the antenna useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

withak posted:

It shows that it is probably worth trying out, that being mounted behind the TV doesn't automatically make the antenna useless.

Depends on how strong the signals are. Placing antennae near electronics is going to give your reception a hit no matter what you do.