Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Corek posted:

Jeff in Clarence might have 2 moms:

Also there was a Winsor McCay reference in the last episode.
Also ducktales style music was playing when he was swimming around in the bank vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What was with the third dream? The art style they were going for seemed really familiar, but I can't place my finger on it

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Electric Phantasm posted:

What was with the third dream? The art style they were going for seemed really familiar, but I can't place my finger on it

That's the Winsor McCay reference Corek called out. Little Nemo in Slumberland.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My DVR isn't recording Clarence for some reason and I'm getting kinda sad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Corek posted:

Jeff in Clarence might have 2 moms:

Quick, get Focus on the Family on the line!

If this ends up getting fleshed out, Clarence would be the second kids' show to have two same-sex parents of a kid (first was Good Luck Charlie).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Pokemon was always as bad as it is now, you were just a kid. It's okay to like the old pokemon however, I watch it if I'm going to have a lazy Sunday in with a friend or two because it brings us back to better days. Same reason I really want a re-make of Ruby/Saphire but could give a gently caress about the new games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Austrian mook posted:

Pokemon was always as bad as it is now, you were just a kid. It's okay to like the old pokemon however, I watch it if I'm going to have a lazy Sunday in with a friend or two because it brings us back to better days. Same reason I really want a re-make of Ruby/Saphire but could give a gently caress about the new games.

Sapphire was the last Pokemon game I bought as a kid, or ever again. I leave it on in the morning and CN has an episode on when I'm getting ready for class. There was a newer episode that was literally the episode from the original series where Ash let his butterfly Pokemon go. Like almost exactly as I remembered it.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

America was NOT discovered by Americans.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

thelaughingman posted:

America was NOT discovered by Americans.

Native Americans knew all about it. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

"We need to flood the market, just like soviet money!" That's some good poo poo you dropped on me Clarence. Also Clarence not giving a poo poo about his teacher's buddy stars nonsense is so on point.

Clarence is weirdly on point even if he's colossally incompetent and short-sighted. I really like the writing of the show.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Clarence's teacher looks like the mom in Shin-Chan and I just can't unsee it.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Barudak posted:

Clarence is weirdly on point even if he's colossally incompetent and short-sighted. I really like the writing of the show.
Same. I was put off by the look of the show and the charcter designs, but this episode and 'Money Broom Wizard' have both been quite good. Jeff being a value fiend with what game to choose, along with being disappointed with Clarence over him not playing MONEY BROOM the correct way really sold me on the show.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like we're getting the next season of The Amazing World of Gumball this summer!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clarence keeps perfectly hitting the nail on the head of bein' a weird kid goofing off and creating fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know this is old news, but I am amazed that Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated got Michael Anderson to voice the little man for their Twin Peaks parody. That is amazing. Also that Fred's plan for busting the phantom highwayman is basically just to blow him up with dynamite.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

On that note, I've also been tearing through Mystery Incorporated over the last month or so based on the praise from this thread and the old dedicated thread for the show. I've watched up to the Shining parody episode with the hallucinogenic firewood, and as someone who generally liked Scooby-Doo as a kid but not to the same extent that a lot of others did growing up, I can honestly say that this might be the most I've enjoyed watching a show in a good while.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
All right kids show thread I need your expertise in cartoons. I'm looking for the name of a cartoon I saw like once. It had 3 princesses who had 3 prince(?) boyfriends and one of them had a pet dragon. It's probably a late 80's early 90's show. That's basically all I can remember.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neo Helbeast posted:

All right kids show thread I need your expertise in cartoons. I'm looking for the name of a cartoon I saw like once. It had 3 princesses who had 3 prince(?) boyfriends and one of them had a pet dragon. It's probably a late 80's early 90's show. That's basically all I can remember.

Did a quick little search cause this kind of request is always fun to try to figure out.

Is it Princess Gwenevere & the Jewel Riders (or Princess Starla & The Jewel Riders)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6YgXnktpg

Also unrelated to the above but god the original Scooby Doo shows before A Pup Named Scooby Doo are such loving garbage goddamn. I don't know how people sat through that poo poo back in the day, I guess they had nothing else. But god whenever that came on Cartoon Network when I was a kid I could not change the channel fast enough

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 6, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Did a quick little search cause this kind of request is always fun to try to figure out.

Is it Princess Gwenevere & the Jewel Riders (or Princess Starla & The Jewel Riders)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6YgXnktpg

Also unrelated to the above but god the original Scooby Doo shows before A Pup Named Scooby Doo are such loving garbage goddamn. I don't know how people sat through that poo poo back in the day, I guess they had nothing else. But god whenever that came on Cartoon Network when I was a kid I could not change the channel fast enough

Honestly, I have no idea. I was, like, 8 at the time and I caught it on the spanish channel. I don't think it's Jewel Riders just because I believe the main character was a brunette and it didn't really have any bright and outlandish colors.

A pup named Scooby Doo is like seriously the best Scooby Doo show.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Trash Boat posted:

On that note, I've also been tearing through Mystery Incorporated over the last month or so based on the praise from this thread and the old dedicated thread for the show. I've watched up to the Shining parody episode with the hallucinogenic firewood, and as someone who generally liked Scooby-Doo as a kid but not to the same extent that a lot of others did growing up, I can honestly say that this might be the most I've enjoyed watching a show in a good while.

I love when they walk by Scrappy and all wince in disgust.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Macaluso posted:

Also unrelated to the above but god the original Scooby Doo shows before A Pup Named Scooby Doo are such loving garbage goddamn. I don't know how people sat through that poo poo back in the day, I guess they had nothing else.
If the old Scooby-Doos seem bad, just think about how much worse the shows were that didn't spawn enough spin-offs and reboots to last well into the 2010s. Gilligan's Planet, anyone? Maybe The Robonic Stooges?. Baggy Pants and The Nitwits?

Nostalgia be damned; Saturday morning TV was a loving wasteland in the '70s.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Neo Helbeast posted:

A pup named Scooby Doo is like seriously the best Scooby Doo show.

I hated A Pup Named Scooby Doo. I hated Fred being obsessed with Red Harring. I hated Daphne being so reliant upon her money, and fashion. It's like they took the worst parts of the original show and characters and just blew them up 100 fold. It always just felt so obnoxious. It just felt like a death cry, that left Scooby Doo dead until they started doing the direct to DVD movies.

Honestly, the best Scooby Doo got for me, back then was the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. A longer storyline, Vincent Price. I didn't give a crap about Flim Flam, and Scrappy was an unfortunate part of that era, but real ghosts. Monsters, and interesting stuff for that era, and a shake up from the normal formula.

It seemed like something completely new from the Scooby Doo box.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PicklePants posted:

Honestly, the best Scooby Doo got for me, back then was the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. A longer storyline, Vincent Price. I didn't give a crap about Flim Flam, and Scrappy was an unfortunate part of that era, but real ghosts. Monsters, and interesting stuff for that era, and a shake up from the normal formula.

It seemed like something completely new from the Scooby Doo box.

Which is exactly why 13 ghosts died before it even finished one season, the herd hates change to the formula.:(

Sorry to bring up Clarance again, but it's got the best opening theme for any cartoon of 2014. It's just so energetic and free. As soon as I heard this I wanted to give the show a chance. And secretly hope that there is a larger version or other songs like this in the show's future. :kimchi:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

If the old Scooby-Doos seem bad, just think about how much worse the shows were that didn't spawn enough spin-offs and reboots to last well into the 2010s. Gilligan's Planet, anyone? Maybe The Robonic Stooges?. Baggy Pants and The Nitwits?

Nostalgia be damned; Saturday morning TV was a loving wasteland in the '70s.

At least in the '80s all the Hanna-Barbera shows got relegated to its own Sunday morning ghetto in a 4-hour block of unwatchable garbage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PicklePants posted:

I hated A Pup Named Scooby Doo. I hated Fred being obsessed with Red Harring. I hated Daphne being so reliant upon her money, and fashion. It's like they took the worst parts of the original show and characters and just blew them up 100 fold. It always just felt so obnoxious. It just felt like a death cry, that left Scooby Doo dead until they started doing the direct to DVD movies.

I loving hated A Pup Named Scooby Doo too, even when I was a kid I thought it was down there with the Scrappy era of classic Scooby. And I liked lovely old classic Scooby as a kid. I remember it being paired up with the godawful Flintstones Kids show, and at some other point, this weird Flintstones spinoff where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were teenagers or adults or something? I dunno.

The 2000s-era DTV movies aren't terrible though, they're not great but I can stand to watch them with my kids. Quality-wise I'd say they're somewhere between Mystery Incorporated and whatever the last Scooby series before that was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's the Tom. And. Jerry kids!
Gotta be there where all the action iii-iiiis! :buddy:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Indeed, Tom and Jerry in its various incarnations has sucked far harder and longer than Scooby-Doo ever has.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Crabtree posted:

Which is exactly why 13 ghosts died before it even finished one season, the herd hates change to the formula.:(

Sorry to bring up Clarance again, but it's got the best opening theme for any cartoon of 2014. It's just so energetic and free. As soon as I heard this I wanted to give the show a chance. And secretly hope that there is a larger version or other songs like this in the show's future. :kimchi:

I love Clarence. I was really apathetic to it, seeing all the previews and the pilot. After watching Fun Dungeon, I started coming around and then A Pretty Great Day with a Girl, I was fully on board.

The only reason I tolerated the Flintstone Kids is because it gave me more Captain Caveman.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Aww, I used to love the Tom and Jerry Kids show. (I also adored the first movie where they talked so it's pretty clear I had terrible tastes according to the Internet.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

I loving hated A Pup Named Scooby Doo too, even when I was a kid I thought it was down there with the Scrappy era of classic Scooby. And I liked lovely old classic Scooby as a kid. I remember it being paired up with the godawful Flintstones Kids show, and at some other point, this weird Flintstones spinoff where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm were teenagers or adults or something? I dunno.

The 2000s-era DTV movies aren't terrible though, they're not great but I can stand to watch them with my kids. Quality-wise I'd say they're somewhere between Mystery Incorporated and whatever the last Scooby series before that was.
Zombie Island is a legit good, I still liked the Alien one, the Hex Witches and Tim Curry as HP Stephen King one, and the virtual reality one.

Also I remember loving the Shaggy is a werewolf one.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Pupp Named Scooby Doo had some of the worst animation.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

achillesforever6 posted:

Zombie Island is a legit good, I still liked the Alien one, the Hex Witches and Tim Curry as HP Stephen King one, and the virtual reality one.
I also liked the Loch Ness Monster one (in part because it had some pretty great music).

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Also I remember loving the Shaggy is a werewolf one.

I liked the movies too. Well, some of them, but I really thought.

I remember the old Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School one, too.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Everytime I think of flintstone kids, tom and jerry kids and a pup named scooby doo I remember eating baloney and cheese sandwiches.

I also liked Zombie Island and Scooby Doo Ghoul school. Ghoul school was during that time when they got rid of fred, daphne and velma and tried to shove scrappy into the action.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Gaunab posted:

Ghoul school was during that time when they got rid of fred, daphne and velma and tried to shove scrappy into the action.

They kept Daphne with them for a long time (13 Ghosts, the one with the monster dance number). I wonder what was up with that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some producer somewhere needs to get me a Jem/Scooby Doo crossover episode that features a Hex Girls/Misfits concert.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shaggy and Scooby were the only good characters in the original show that kids really liked. It's only natural they would get emphasized in later series.

My favorite part about the old Scooby Doo was how the entire premise of being a mystery was a total farce, and half the time they would just pull something out of their asses at the end. "Oh yeah, we never mentioned this before, but there was a wanted criminal around here, and the monster is him."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

U.T. Raptor posted:

I also liked the Loch Ness Monster one (in part because it had some pretty great music).
I remember them playing that at a field trip high school chemistry event because they were going to talk about a Scottish Scientist and that was the only thing Scottish they could come up with. I liked that one too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's funny that good modern scooby doo movies can be immediately spotted by how well they're animated. I remember them taking a real dive until poo poo like Blue Falcon remake or Goblin King were made during the time between What's New and Mystery Inc. Now I just wish they'd stop making all these films and focus on a TV show with all of these good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rudoku posted:

They kept Daphne with them for a long time (13 Ghosts, the one with the monster dance number). I wonder what was up with that.

Perving on cartoon characters pre-dates Bronies, you realize.