Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Yeah that is a wonderful picture, same feeling.

I know, trying to be cautious but getting a little excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So is there a consensus on what the best fanedit of the prequels is? I know there's only so much you can do with polishing a turd, but I'm hoping there's gotta be one good edit out there that condenses all three movies into one 3+ hour movie and cuts out all the garbage.

I'm actually one of the people that thinks Episode 3 is still salvageable, so maybe even an edit to condense Ep 1 & Ep 2 into one movie, and then another one to condense down Ep 3 to cut out the crap.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As bad as the prequels are to actually watch, it's a worse crime to hack up a John Williams score. The best fan edit is the one you make in your imagination.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

So is there a consensus on what the best fanedit of the prequels is? I know there's only so much you can do with polishing a turd, but I'm hoping there's gotta be one good edit out there that condenses all three movies into one 3+ hour movie and cuts out all the garbage.

I'm actually one of the people that thinks Episode 3 is still salvageable, so maybe even an edit to condense Ep 1 & Ep 2 into one movie, and then another one to condense down Ep 3 to cut out the crap.

Topher Graces edit if you can find him and beat it out of him.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Topher Grace's edit is like mythical in this forum. It didn't even sound that great to me, as it leaves out all but 5 minutes of Episode I and proceeds at breakneck speed from there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Corek posted:

Topher Grace's edit is like mythical in this forum. It didn't even sound that great to me, as it leaves out all but 5 minutes of Episode I and proceeds at breakneck speed from there.

It sound stupid. Like any fanedit.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

As bad as the prequels are to actually watch, it's a worse crime to hack up a John Williams score.

The last third of Episode II and part of the beginning of Episode III do it plenty.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Why is the idea of someone re-editing a movie inherently stupid? Some movies are poorly edited, it's cool that non-professionals have the ability to experiment with how they'd tell that same story.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Have Steven Soderbergh ever tried editing Star Wars?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

It would be hilarious and awesome if Marcia Lucas did a "fan" edit.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

drat, I was really hoping to see a son of Skywalker . Ah well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

penismightier posted:

Why is the idea of someone re-editing a movie inherently stupid? Some movies are poorly edited, it's cool that non-professionals have the ability to experiment with how they'd tell that same story.

I guess, but the end result is almost always garbage.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

cheese eats mouse posted:

More like where's the women.

They could have avoided so many of these complaints if they cast Lupita Nyong'o as rumored.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Cacator posted:

They could have avoided so many of these complaints if they cast Lupita Nyong'o as rumored.

I think the critics are kind of overlooking one thing though - yes, there's only one new female so far, but she has what's been rumored as the main protagonist role and is apparently the only actual direct relative of the Skywalkers/Solo's/Darth Vader.

That's a pretty loving big deal. Add in the second major female cast member that has yet to be announced (rumoured to be an African American daughter of obiwan) as well as the fact that the only "new generation" cast white male characters are 1) an ugly, douchy looking dude with a big nose rumoured to be the villain and 2) a scrawny comedy-relief type dorky ginger, and I start to wonder if people are getting all riled up over nothing.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I'm home sick and insomniac and have the phantom edits and another edit with dumb fanfic names like Cloak of Deception. I want the most miserable experience to distract from feeling like poo poo already. Which is worse?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kiimo posted:

These guys can't believe this post.

The Rule of One (per trilogy).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kiimo posted:

These guys can't believe this post.
Mace is dead and Lando's not showing up so he's probably dead too. Thus again, there is only one black person in all of Star Wars (at any given time). There can only be one.

Kurtofan posted:

The Rule of One (per trilogy).
That's another way to put it, yes.

More like where's the women.
That too.

Star Wars: Only One Black Protagonist and One Female Protagonist at any given time.

The MSJ posted:

Oscar Isaac is latino, at least.
And one Latino Protagonist. See, they're trying...

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 30, 2014

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

The Goon posted:

I think the critics are kind of overlooking one thing though - yes, there's only one new female so far, but she has what's been rumored as the main protagonist role and is apparently the only actual direct relative of the Skywalkers/Solo's/Darth Vader.

That's a pretty loving big deal. Add in the second major female cast member that has yet to be announced (rumoured to be an African American daughter of obiwan) as well as the fact that the only "new generation" cast white male characters are 1) an ugly, douchy looking dude with a big nose rumoured to be the villain and 2) a scrawny comedy-relief type dorky ginger, and I start to wonder if people are getting all riled up over nothing.

I feel like a few more female characters would be great, and probably advisable. I'd like my little sisters (8 & 6, I'm 29) to have more than one option of a cool female character to identify with if they so choose, but neither do I think it spells doom for the movie, just a little disappointing compared to what could be. I certainly agree that the casting is otherwise well done and if Daisy does indeed have as vital a role as you're suggesting and isn't a Damsel in Distress then great. Leia showed us a capable, no-nonsense princess type and that's great, but we can mix it up some this time and not fall into all the tropes against women. Hoping she's a boss start to finish. As you said, this could also easily be improved with more minor characters, and with possible Leia interactions, I doubt it would be too hard to pass a Bechtel test. (Yes, I know its a better indicator of the industry as a whole rather than any particular film)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm a firm proponent of the idea that only bad films should be given fan-edits.

To edit the prequels is wrong.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Natalie Portman's character wasn't even a protagonist. Just a bunch of damsel in distress crap.

Girl nerds want some superheroes too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm a firm proponent of the idea that only bad films should be given fan-edits.

To edit the prequels is wrong.

Are you aware that a film being good or bad is a matter of opinion? And that the presence or absence of a fan edit does not affect the original release at all?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Natalie Portman's character wasn't even a protagonist. Just a bunch of damsel in distress crap.

Girl nerds want some superheroes too.

She kicked some rear end in AotC (I refuse to spell out the name).

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It would be hilarious and awesome if Marcia Lucas did a "fan" edit.

she did and it was called "Star Wars" :smugdog: (I realize we're talking about the prequels but still ZING!)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Are you aware that a film being good or bad is a matter of opinion? And that the presence or absence of a fan edit does not affect the original release at all?

I'm sure this is all brand new information to him, thank you for providing this essential service.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

First Bass posted:

She kicked some rear end in AotC (I refuse to spell out the name).

Towards the end, yeah, a bit, but then they totally made her a silly damsel in Revenge of the Sith, so it's kind of weird. Padme is a super uneven character.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There is enough footage out there on the DVD/blurays that I'm sure someone could make a better edit of Anchorman 2. Between the unrated version, the R-Rated version, and the deleted scenes, you could make a whole other movie out of it (like they did with the first one but maybe a little less poo poo)

edit: The problem with making the girl the only relation to Luke/Leia in the movie is that you're killing her career before it ever began. No one blood-related to Anakin Skywalker becomes a Harrison Ford-level movie star, it's always the other people. So congrats, Oscar Isaac, Domnhall Gleeson and John Boyega, you're about to blow the gently caress up.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
John Boyega deserves it, frankly.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I have frequently shown my more film-studenty friends a fan-edit I made of Phantom Menace that I continuously claim fixes all the problems, revealing an experimental, artistically-satisfying commentary on the original films' ethos.

It is the exact same film until the closing title, which now reads Written and Directed by Lars Von Trier.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Towards the end, yeah, a bit, but then they totally made her a silly damsel in Revenge of the Sith, so it's kind of weird. Padme is a super uneven character.

What makes her a 'silly damsel' apart from the fact that she's a girl and doesn't 'kick rear end'?

She's got pretty consistent characterisation for a pregnant politician married to an emotionally traumatised superman.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box A posted:

Mace is dead and Lando's not showing up so he's probably dead too. Thus again, there is only one black person in all of Star Wars (at any given time). There can only be one.

That too.

Star Wars: Only One Black Protagonist and One Female Protagonist at any given time.

And one Latino Protagonist. See, they're trying...

At what point does every movie just become the BK kids club so it can appeal to every possible demographic so as not to offend anyone?

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

sassassin posted:

What makes her a 'silly damsel' apart from the fact that she's a girl and doesn't 'kick rear end'?

She's got pretty consistent characterisation for a pregnant politician married to an emotionally traumatised superman.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with Padme or Leia's characterizations. My concern is that we portray more than one thing that women can do in a given story.

TCW does a great job of this. Women are students and masters and planetary leaders and assassins and bounty hunters and politicians and are the main characters of many stories, not all of which are about catching a man.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

sassassin posted:

She dies of a broken heart. I mean. Goddamn. That's some weak sauce poo poo.

None of this lays as the fault of Portman. She does her best with the material.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think more and more movie studios are becoming OK with the idea that a strong female protagonist is a good thing that can make a successful movie. Say what you will about the Hunger Games movies but they are successful with a relatively strong female protagonist. Keep in mind that there have been plenty of Disney movies and stuff with female leads, but they are pretty much all princesses and rely on other people (men and silly sidekicks) to save them. Going back through the years you don't see many female leads that save the day until you get all the way back to the Wizard of Oz. Amazing that back in that day and age they didn't change Dorothy to a male character.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

She dies of a broken heart. I mean. Goddamn. That's some weak sauce poo poo.

None of this lays as the fault of Portman. She does her best with the material.

I thought Anakin damaged something inside her when he force-choked her? She died in childbirth after a emotionally and physically traumatizing confrontation with her husband. I don't think that's weak.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

That too.

It's kind of hilarious to me that you quoted a picture featuring two black people in a single shot and came up with this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

I thought Anakin damaged something inside her when he force-choked her? She died in childbirth after a emotionally and physically traumatizing confrontation with her husband. I don't think that's weak.

A medical droid specifically says "she died of a broken heart" like that's the official scientific diagnosis. Now, if her heart was physically damaged and that was the best method to express that in medical terms, that's one thing, but it's likely the droid is just

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ god dammit.

Torrannor posted:

The droid said, "Medically there's nothing wrong with her." The movie itself said, medically, she's fine, but she's dying of a broken heart.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

The droid said, "Medically there's nothing wrong with her." The movie itself said, medically, she's fine, but she's dying of a broken heart.

While Disney is busy making EU non-canon can they make an official statement and make the prequels non-canon as well? Please Disney?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
She literally "lost the will to live," which is pretty bullshit considering she now has two children :psyduck:

Guess that's what happens when you think Anakin Secret-Marriage-Sandpeople-Killer Skywalker is a sound romantic choice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PerrineClostermann posted:

She literally "lost the will to live," which is pretty bullshit considering she now has two children :psyduck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Padme's death makes perfect sense following the whole Buddha-Christ tradition of the films. Luke (and Leia) are the blasphemous and disavowed children of Christ, and at the same time Christ's promised salvation through a virtual repetition.

Danger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 1, 2014

• Locked thread