Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

At least this one will be good. Johnathan Ames is responsible for Bored to Death, and Patrick Stewart is awesome, and so there.

Oh, so I didn't realize that, and I thought "This ought to be fantastic." But now that I remember who Jonathan Ames is, now it ought to be loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just not going to pass judgment until I see the drat thing. MacFarlane is so insanely inconsistent there's no point presuming it will be either good or bad.

He's just fronting the money. Jonathan Ames is the showrunner.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That'll learn me for skimming things, money is good!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Vincent posted:

The Penny Dreadful (the show where Old James Bond/Timothy Dalton and Eva Green hunt vampires and poo poo in London with the help of Dr. Frankenstein and where Dorian Grey is there to have sex with everything while Josh Hartnett shits the acting bed) pilot/first episode is up on Showtime's site. I liked it, but I'm a sucker for gothic literature and fictional characters interacting with each other. Anyone else saw it?

I watched it and it definitely has potential. I like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vibe it has but it was tough to judge much else about it because most of the pilot was set up. The Dr Frankenstein character was ultra creepy and it did have some good make up & effects.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Josh Hartnett is fine in the Penny Dreadful pilot. The rest of the cast is really pretty great, it's like they rifled through every actor who was in a Bond film.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Good lord, I can't believe the DVR ju-jitsu I had to pull tonight. (I can see how some people would rather be shot in the face than hear about this, so I apologize for not being able to keep it to myself.)

I have two tuners on my DVR. Airing tonight is:

Person of Interest (10:01-11)
Fargo (10-11:13)
Playing House (two episodes; 10-10:31, 10:31-11:02)
Inside Amy Schumer (10:30-11)
Faking It (10:31-11:01)
The Daily Show (11-11:31)
@Midnight (12:01-12:33)

My original plan was to cut it down to PoI and Fargo, catch the repeats for the others. Except there are no repeats of Faking It tonight, so I had to push back Fargo. Except that was going to conflict with the SECOND episode of Playing House and @Midnight. Lucky for me, USA is airing the two episodes three times tonight. My DVR schedule now looks like this:

Person of Interest: 10:01-11
Faking It: 10:31-11:03
Playing House (1): 11:02-11:32
Fargo: 11:13-12:25
@Midnight: 12:01-12:34
Playing House (2): 12:32-1:03
The Daily Show: 1:02-1:33
Inside Amy Schumer: 2:32-3:03

If the Playing House premiere was listed as a one-hour block (as these things sometimes are), something would have had to go.

Funny thing is, Optimum's cloud DVR service offers 10 tuners and thousands of hours of space. But it's so laggy and non-intuitive that juggling programs like this is still the better option between the two.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 30, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hear you, I have three tuners with Dish and they've been pretty full up. With 24 starting next week, my Mondays are full.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Good lord, I can't believe the DVR ju-jitsu I had to pull tonight. (I can see how some people would rather be shot in the face than hear about this, so I apologize for not being able to keep it to myself.)

I have two tuners on my DVR. Airing tonight is:

Person of Interest (10:01-11)
Fargo (10-11:13)
Playing House (two episodes; 10-10:31, 10:31-11:02)
Inside Amy Schumer (10:30-11)
Faking It (10:31-11:01)
The Daily Show (11-11:31)
@Midnight (12:01-12:33)

My original plan was to cut it down to PoI and Fargo, catch the repeats for the others. Except there are no repeats of Faking It tonight, so I had to push back Fargo. Except that was going to conflict with the SECOND episode of Playing House and @Midnight. Lucky for me, USA is airing the two episodes three times tonight. My DVR schedule now looks like this:

Person of Interest: 10:01-11
Faking It: 10:31-11:03
Playing House (1): 11:02-11:32
Fargo: 11:13-12:25
@Midnight: 12:01-12:34
Playing House (2): 12:32-1:03
The Daily Show: 1:02-1:33
Inside Amy Schumer: 2:32-3:03

If the Playing House premiere was listed as a one-hour block (as these things sometimes are), something would have had to go.

Funny thing is, Optimum's cloud DVR service offers 10 tuners and thousands of hours of space. But it's so laggy and non-intuitive that juggling programs like this is still the better option between the two.

After switching to multi-tuner cable cards I'm glad I never have to worry about this kind of thing. Though tonight I only have four shows to record anyway.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

After switching to multi-tuner cable cards I'm glad I never have to worry about this kind of thing. Though tonight I only have four shows to record anyway.

This is a thing? Holy technology, Batman. Granted, I only watch Supernatural and New Girl on Tuesdays and a total of six shows per week, most of which are on Hulu.

vvvv: DP's dp finally makes sense.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 30, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just finished up Southland and, um, yeah :stare: that sure ended.

I think I'm going to think from now on that Abraham in The Walking Dead is canonically the same character as John Cooper.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, I couldn't stop loving laughing at that plastic surgery bit on Inside Amy Schumer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress.

Fox cancels Almost Human.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-cancels-almost-human-700015

gently caress.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

drat.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Can't say I'm surprised, though. So, is it worth watching the seasons' worth of episodes on my DVR or should I just dump it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Can't say I'm surprised, though. So, is it worth watching the seasons' worth of episodes on my DVR or should I just dump it?

There's some really good character stuff with Karl Urban and Michael Ealy. Also while there are dropped plots it doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger or anything like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's worth watching. I'm not surprised either with how much Fox hosed with it. Has any show they hosed with ever lasted?

I wish Netflix could pick it up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

No it's not. If you haven't even started, just don't bother. What little good there is is outweighed by all the frustrating missteps. Without the hope that a second season would improve it, it's just not worth it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did any of the other characters become interesting? I stopped at the Breaking Bad homage episode.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Irish Joe posted:

Its not so much a gimmick this time as existential sadness at the average goon's general inability to be an intelligent and creative thinker. Everybody here is so young, yet so willing to accept an imperfect status quo because they can't envision a better world. Its honestly depressing.

I completely agree with you, but it is also not surprising about some younger people's views; they think they know everything after all.

Lazy programming, a common complaint, doesn't seem to be connected with giant monopolies famous for bad customer service?

Distribution monopolies are why the MPAA has power.

This is kinda like businesses convincing us all how important copyrights/patents are while arguing laissez faire on every other regulations. It all sounds reasonable, and comfortable.

Femur fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 30, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

No it's not. If you haven't even started, just don't bother. What little good there is is outweighed by all the frustrating missteps. Without the hope that a second season would improve it, it's just not worth it.

Seriously. It was a boring police procedural with some network television sci-fi stapled onto it in a desperate attempt to stand out from the crowd, it wasn't like Person of Interest or Fringe where it was acool sci-fi show that happened to have a procedural framework.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Did any of the other characters become interesting? I stopped at the Breaking Bad homage episode.

Nope. The most interesting other character was the guy introduced in one episode near the end who would likely have become a primary villain. The other cops all remained as one dimensional as they were in the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think Fargo is one of my favorite shows on TV right now and if it maintains this level of quality is in the running for "ever." I just enjoy every minute of it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GreenNight posted:

It's worth watching. I'm not surprised either with how much Fox hosed with it. Has any show they hosed with ever lasted?

I wish Netflix could pick it up.
If Fox decided to air the episodes out of order they obviously saw the fact that the show needed some extra push to get people hooked rather than waiting on slow burn to fulfill itself.

Happy Endings lasted 3 seasons but you know ABC actually aired some of the first season out of order. but let's not talk about DTTB which they aired completely nonsensically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh my god, I couldn't stop loving laughing at that plastic surgery bit on Inside Amy Schumer.

I couldn't stop laughing at the fat meerkat with a visible pussy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I think Fargo is one of my favorite shows on TV right now and if it maintains this level of quality is in the running for "ever." I just enjoy every minute of it.

My biggest complaint right now with Fargo is that when it comes to rewatches and binge-watching constantly seeing the opening scrawl might be slightly irritating. So yeah, it's really very good.

edit: not to jinx it, but if the show stays this good, it'll be like 'WHAT Detective?' HBO make a premium miniseries with gigantic movie stars and then two months later FX kick their rear end with Martin Freeman. I love it.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 30, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I consider Almost Human absolutely worth watching but then I really like the leads, especially Ealy who is amazingly charismatic, the sci-fi setting is just icing on the cake.

Also: Bitcoins

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Almost Human was pretty fun, but it was almost entirely held together by Urban and Ealy. They kind of started to lay the groundwork for something interesting happening in the background, but at its core it was just a buddy cop show that unfortunately didn't really stand out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Faking It is a fun show. People should talk more about Faking It.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rarity posted:

Sounds good - i'll check it out.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Almost Human was the most bland, lovely cop show I can imagine. Nothing about it was interesting, even the central dynamic had been done before except now it has a lazy android paint job applied over the cracks.

The fact that anyone is disappointed it got cancelled or that people say it's the best show in years is baffling to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think there's a single genre show that doesn't get fans in this forum. So any cancellation of those shows is going to have someone here upset.

Except maybe that Dome show, are people watching that seriously or ironically? I never looked at the thread.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PriorMarcus posted:

The fact that anyone is disappointed it got cancelled or that people say it's the best show in years is baffling to me.

TVIV poster doesn't understand that different people like different things, full story at 11.

\/\/ Yeah, fair enough.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 30, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

VDay posted:

TVIV poster doesn't understand that different people like different things, full story at 11.

This is a chronic and baffling illness that is spread throughout the internet, not just this forum. We've all got at least a mild case of it unfortunately.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

VDay posted:

More baffling to me are people who seem to believe that any show they enjoy is automatically a great, high quality show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit I'm really bad at accepting other POVs. I try not to be an rear end in a top hat about it on here (obviously I don't always succeed) but things like people preferring Orphan Black and Arrow over Mad Men (or whatever, that type of drama) don't make any sense to me. I can understand the reasoning but there's always one little part in the back of my head like "...but that's just dumb." It's actually kinda lovely, I would much prefer to be able to accept all opinions, but hey.

And I assume everyone who believes any show they enjoy is automatically great is just kind of a pretentious rear end in a top hat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Didn't like the first episode, but the second episode was much smoother. That pilot had to cram "BFFs really want to be popular in a progressive school so they fake being lesbians, except one realizes she might not be faking and the other is too blinded by popularity and a haircut to realize it" into 20 minutes of story. Now that they're not choking on all that exposition, they seem to have a better handle on things.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PriorMarcus posted:

What's the story behind this then?

If you're still curious, there isn't one, because it's not true.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just meant like "this doesn't surprise me at all", although sorry if it's incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sober posted:

If Fox decided to air the episodes out of order they obviously saw the fact that the show needed some extra push to get people hooked rather than waiting on slow burn to fulfill itself.

Happy Endings lasted 3 seasons but you know ABC actually aired some of the first season out of order. but let's not talk about DTTB which they aired completely nonsensically.

Yeah, Happy Endings probably wouldn't have gotten its second season were it not for ABC messing with the viewing order to move some of the best episodes to the front of the list.

• Locked thread