Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

No, sorry. It was definitely cod. After doing a bit more searching, I think the sauce was nam prik dong or a variation. So I guess I just make the sauce, cook the fish and serve them together? The catfish does sound good though, might give that a try too!
Nam prik is the generic name for chili condiment sauces. Prik dong is the red Thai bird chili, and is sometimes the name given for a condiment sauce of peppers in vinegar (which is also called nam som prik dong). Don't know what specifically you're looking at.

In any event, when cooking a dish you typically wouldn't start with a completed condiment sauce. Instead you'd pound the peppers, garlic, onion, and so on into a paste, fry the paste until fragrant, add some sugar, thin the mixture with fish sauce, tamarind, whatever, reduce a little, remove from heat, coat the fish with the mixture then shake it off so it's not dripping, fry the fish, then add the remaining sauce at the end.

Or at least that's how I know to do it. There seem to be a shitload of regional variations in Thai cooking that don't seem to be very well documented in the West.

As far as the fish goes, I really don't associate cod with Thai cooking. Not that it's wrong or anything and gently caress culinary authenticity arguments, but yeah catfish is like the canonical fish you can find in Thai places pretty much everywhere. That's not to say it's better or `correct' or whatever, but yeah if you like spicy Thai fish dishes check that poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My butcher gave me a huge pack of rib tips the other day. I don't really wanna smoke em. Y'all think they would work in adobo?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

My butcher gave me a huge pack of rib tips the other day. I don't really wanna smoke em. Y'all think they would work in adobo?
That's not a bad idea. If I had a shitload of pork rib tips, I'd probably make a Portuguese pork and clam stew.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Pork adobo is my personal favourite, I make it with pork shoulder or butt.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Any recommendations on turkey burgers? What fat% and what kind of differences will i notice while cooking them instead of normal burgers?

There's the episode of Cook's Country where they make turkey burgers out of turkey thighs, the trick is to adding lots of things that aren't turkey (like mushrooms) and getting extra fat in there.

Bonus potato bun recipe on this episode

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/388-ultimate-grilled-turkey-burgers

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I think I want to make a batch of Tabbouleh to have with Turkish red lentil soup this weekend, as more of a side salad rather than an extra grain. Does anyone have a good recipe/ratio/whatever that is more herb/veg than grain? Also, how long should I expect it to keep in the fridge?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Is Kenji's carnitas recipe the go to for carnitas or is there another recipe I can use that doesn't involve a tub of lard. I'm doing this for a work thing so I'll have access to an oven/stovetop but would prefer to have most of it done the night before.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

For a long time I have wanted to eat a wide variety of meat beyond pork, lamb and beef. Is there anywhere I can buy small amounts of a large variety of meat? Things like swan, snake, giraffe, polar bear, monkey, peacock, moose and so on. Are there any websites that sell a kind of selection box of animals?

edit: thanks VVV

justcola fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whitman's used to offer a bushmeat sampler, but I think they stopped after the endangered species act was signed.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Where do you live? Find a butcher or specialty shop that carries stuff like that, and try some?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

justcola posted:

For a long time I have wanted to eat a wide variety of meat beyond pork, lamb and beef. Is there anywhere I can buy small amounts of a large variety of meat? Things like swan, snake, giraffe, polar bear, monkey, peacock, moose and so on. Are there any websites that sell a kind of selection box of animals?

http://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/

Not cheap, but this is where my friend buys her stuff

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm pretty sure that Pr0k's mom is signed up for the "Exotic Sausage of the Month" club.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Steve Yun posted:

$2k for a Lion shoulder roast. $1k for a Lion dick. I want to be an insane rich person so loving bad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a worthy uhh posted:

$2k for a Lion shoulder roast. $1k for a Lion dick. I want to be an insane rich person so loving bad.

If being super rich makes me want to put a lion dick in my mouth, I'll settle for where I'm at.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Isn't carnivorous mammal meat not tasty? Like really stringy and oily?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What's your preferred way of pickling cucumbers?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Either naturally fermented and eaten fresh, or bread and butter pickles for long-term storage.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I love cucumbers and onions in vinegar, water, sugar, spice.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I like cucumber kimchi, I like the quick pickle with just salt & sugar, I like bread & butter pickles, I like the chile, garlic & soy pickle, there are like a million ways to do it that are all delicious and good for different purposes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LTBS posted:

Is Kenji's carnitas recipe the go to for carnitas or is there another recipe I can use that doesn't involve a tub of lard. I'm doing this for a work thing so I'll have access to an oven/stovetop but would prefer to have most of it done the night before.

Never made Kenji's recipe but would probably just do a pork carnitas brine and sous vide like this then just chill and bring back to life the next day, then crisp up ok the stove and chop. No lard necessary.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I read an article a year or so ago about the easy way to cook pork for tacos, making it really crispy.

I think it involved putting the chopped pork butt/shoulder into a pot with it barely covered by water. And continually cooking, whenever water runs out putting a little more in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Real carnitas need the lard but you can still make very good carnitas-like stuff without it. I like the crock pot one on the GWS wiki, it isn't crispy at all when done but you toss it under the broiler and crisp it up before serving.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Does anyone have a good list of essential non-perishables? Oil, seasoning, sauces, pasta etc.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Does anyone have a good list of essential non-perishables? Oil, seasoning, sauces, pasta etc.
It depends on what you eat, but salt and sugar should be on everyone's list.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kosher salt
Black peppercorns
Red pepper flakes
Neutral oil (canola)
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
White vinegar
All the vinegars
Sugar
Flour
Cornstarch
Low-sodium chicken stock
Dried beans and other legumes (chickpeas)
Spices (too many to list, buy based on the types of cuisine you like)
Bread crumbs

That was a quick mental inventory of my admittedly not-comprehensive pantry.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
A few things I'd add to that list

Soy Sauce
Liquid Smoke
Brown Sugar
Butter stored in the freezer
Starches of choice, some combination of rices and pastas
Dried Fruits

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For the purposes of a boxed dinner, is alligator closer to chicken or seafood?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somewhere between chicken and pork

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Alligator is treif, so I'd say seafood without scales.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Taste-wise it's definitely closer to chicken. What do you mean by "for the purposes of a boxed dinner"?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I bought a $3 'ranch'(? I don't remember if that's what it's called for sure) steak at the grocery store today. It's been sitting in a spice rub in the fridge for the last few hours. Normally I just grill my steaks but this seems a little thin for that and I want to try something new anyway. How should I prepare it?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Has anyone got a good recipe for cheesecake? I'm not fussed by the stuff myself, but my wife and son both love it, and I'd like a good recipe to make at home. Someone sent us an abomination involving cream cheese and condensed milk, and it was predictably foul.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Has anyone got a good recipe for cheesecake? I'm not fussed by the stuff myself, but my wife and son both love it, and I'd like a good recipe to make at home. Someone sent us an abomination involving cream cheese and condensed milk, and it was predictably foul.

This is an Americas Test Kitchen recipe, my friend uses it and it's been consistently good.

http://mybakerlady.com/2012/09/18/new-york-cheesecake/#more-4949

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fatherdog posted:

Taste-wise it's definitely closer to chicken. What do you mean by "for the purposes of a boxed dinner"?

Different cook times for one vs the other.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sharzak posted:

I bought a $3 'ranch'(? I don't remember if that's what it's called for sure) steak at the grocery store today. It's been sitting in a spice rub in the fridge for the last few hours. Normally I just grill my steaks but this seems a little thin for that and I want to try something new anyway. How should I prepare it?

Can you take a picture of it?

Edit: I just looked it up, and that cut doesn't have a name here, but you're going to be sad if you don't either cook it to no more than medium rare and slice it thinly against the grain or braise it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pretty much. Ranch steaks are typically cut from eye or bottom round, and thus have very little fat. Normally only good for quick grilling or carne asada.

SassafrasGumipants
Dec 26, 2013

Nuts.
I'm looking for a new potato masher. I'm looking for something that will also mash up bananas and strawberries. I like my potatoes a little lumpy, so smoothness is not a concern. The one I have now has too much flat surface area so it doesn't do a very good job with strawberries and potato skins. This is the one I have now:

Any suggestions?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm making pasta sauce with 28 oz of canned san marzanos. How much anchovy fillets should go in that? I've never made sauce with them before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SassafrasGumipants posted:

I'm looking for a new potato masher. I'm looking for something that will also mash up bananas and strawberries. I like my potatoes a little lumpy, so smoothness is not a concern. The one I have now has too much flat surface area so it doesn't do a very good job with strawberries and potato skins. This is the one I have now:

Any suggestions?

Have you considered a food mill for the strawberries?

Bananas I just mash with a wooden spoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

M42 posted:

I'm making pasta sauce with 28 oz of canned san marzanos. How much anchovy fillets should go in that? I've never made sauce with them before.
Taste the sauce. Add some little fishies, mix it around some, let 'em sit for awhile, taste it some more. Keep adding little fishies until you like the flavour.

Seriously. It's going to be a personal preference thing. Some folks are going to have enough after a couple, some will throw a whole tin in there.

SassafrasGumipants posted:

Any suggestions?
Seconding the food mill recommendation.