Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look at this guy, never played Sluggers and saw Goomba play baseball.

Sluggers was easily one of my favorite Wii games. First baseball video game that I really enjoyed in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Astro7x posted:

Anyway, does anybody know the file sizes for the 4 NA games that come with Mario Kart?

Wind Waker is 2.4GB, NSMBU is 2.3 GB, Pikmin is 4.5 GB, and Wii party is 5.1 GB.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So for the Mario Kart 8 free game promo, Game and Wario or Wii Party U?

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

I'd go with Game and Wario, Wii Party U apparently requires a gamepad stand for a lot of the games that is bundled with the retail version.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Do the EU Wii U's not come with the charger/inert stand in the box?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Medium Cool posted:

I'd go with Game and Wario, Wii Party U apparently requires a gamepad stand for a lot of the games that is bundled with the retail version.

The Gamepad stand just levels the Gamepad out so you're not viewing things at an angle. You can use a few playing cards or something instead. The Gamepad games are awesome though, Tabletop Baseball is the poo poo, mind games distilled to its purest form.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kurtofan posted:

I'd choose Game & Wario too. The multiplayer is great if you need a multiplayer game but don't want to buy a ton of extra controllers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd choose Game & Wario too. The multiplayer is great if you need a multiplayer game but don't want to buy a ton of extra controllers.

Or if you want drinking-friendly games, there's no reason to not have a drink in your hand 80% of the time you're playing Sketch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Medium Cool posted:

Um... only those crappy table top games benefit from using the stand, but by no means is required. If you even play them

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm probably gonna go with Mario & Sonic. I don't have friends to play with, but there's online and I heard the games are pretty good. Game & Wario seems cool but I heard it just doesn't have enough substance. Outside of those two, the only game I don't have would be Wii Party and, well, yeah.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Elliotw2 posted:

Do the EU Wii U's not come with the charger/inert stand in the box?

My UK one did. Only with the 32GB models though, I think.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Um... only those crappy table top games benefit from using the stand, but by no means is required. If you even play them

If you don't like Tabletop Baseball you're dead inside :colbert:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Sarchasm posted:

Temper your expectations. The 3DS thread was in a nerd-rage uproar about the mediocre reviews, then a handful of people actually played it. Talk of an anti-Nintendo agenda by the games journalism machine went out of style real fast.

Is the response really that mediocre? Most people I know who managed to play the game said it was excellent. And I seem to remember some major game journalism site (probably EGM's) giving the game a very positive review.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

SilverSupernova posted:

Is the response really that mediocre? Most people I know who managed to play the game said it was excellent. And I seem to remember some major game journalism site (probably EGM's) giving the game a very positive review.

Nah that dude just lives in some weird spaceman world where an 80 on Metacritic and one guy saying "it's fun but I beat it in a day and returned it" is some massive conflict

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

absolutely anything posted:

Nah that dude just lives in some weird spaceman world where an 80 on Metacritic and one guy saying "it's fun but I beat it in a day and returned it" is some massive conflict

People need review scores, otherwise how will they know a game is objectively good? :v:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I never attempted to characterize it as a massive conflict, I just said that the reception was mediocre. I don't even read reviews, I was just urging a little caution by repeating stuff from another thread.

Jesus, you people are defensive.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Sarchasm posted:

I never attempted to characterize it as a massive conflict

You loving said the thread was in a "nerd-rage uproar" dude

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

You loving said the thread was in a "nerd-rage uproar" dude

There's about a page in the 3DS thread ripping on gaming journalist sites for giving Kirby what they considered undeservedly low scores. That's an uproar. It was only calmed when two people who own the game chimed in with their own opinions, corroborating the criticisms in these reviews.

Edit: This is an incredibly dumb argument. Anyone who has anything further to say to me on the matter, I encourage you to take it to PMs.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Now I know why Kirby is always angry on the boxart.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Curious, is Miiverse still popular to check out? Felt like randomly doodling and a hour later noticed I haven't gotten a single yeah. (Make the obvious burn I'm asking for it :v:) Checked out the communities in general and there's just a lot of 0 yeahs, comments etcs.

vvvv Well obviously :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 2, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sort by popular posts and you should find some better ones, yours won't be there though I'm sorry.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Curious, is Miiverse still popular to check out? Felt like randomly doodling and a hour later noticed I haven't gotten a single yeah. (Make the obvious burn I'm asking for it :v:) Checked out the communities in general and there's just a lot of 0 yeahs, comments etcs.

I still get yeahs posting Child of Light screenshots, but like most online communities after the first week things kinda die down unless it's a really popular game.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Some games just have evergreen Miiverse communities. I got a couple Yeahs on something I posted on NSMBU the other day.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For lack of a better place to put this:

Now that I have a Wii U I'm buying a lot of Wii games I've missed and catching up on them. Currently romping through Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Metorid Prime 1 (I don't know if you guys know this or not but these games are pretty good!). The following is a list of the games I've got so far:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario All-Stars
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Strikers Charged
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Fortune Street
Metroid Other M
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Sin & Punishment Star Successor
Super Paper Mario
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Mario Kart Wii
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I feel like I've gotten a lot of the heavy hitters but I'm looking for any other games I may have overlooked / unheralded games that deserve a playthrough that's not on this list. I've admittedly ignored a lot of the Wii's library in the past so I know very little about it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fire Emblem is pretty good if you enjoy those types of games.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kirios posted:

Now that I have a Wii U I'm buying a lot of Wii games I've missed and catching up on them. Currently romping through Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Metorid Prime 1 (I don't know if you guys know this or not but these games are pretty good!). The following is a list of the games I've got so far:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario All-Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Strikers Charged
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Fortune Street
Metroid Other M
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I feel like I've gotten a lot of the heavy hitters but I'm looking for any other games I may have overlooked / unheralded games that deserve a playthrough that's not on this list. I've admittedly ignored a lot of the Wii's library in the past so I know very little about it.

Skip other M

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It was literally five bucks. I really, really enjoy Metroid games so it's worth a shot at least.

I love Fire Emblem games but Radiant Dawn is 80 loving dollars. Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy came first...I'll get it eventually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kirios posted:

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario All-Stars
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Strikers Charged
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Fortune Street
Metroid Other M
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Get a classic controller pro and get the original Sin and Punishment off the Wii Shop Channel.

Here's some more retail games worth getting;

House of the Dead: Overkill
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Red Steel 2
Sonic Colours
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Madworld
Dead Space: Extinction
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Team
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Okami

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Punch Out! Wii is a great puzzle/fighting game.

Wario Land: Shake it! is a good platformer, with a gimmick a la Warioland 4.

I liked Kirby's Return to Dreamland, but the sequel just came out on 3DS so you may want to go for that instead.

Sonic Colors is pretty good.

Okami if you haven't played that yet.

Murasama is a cool hack'n'slash that I found a bit repetitive at times but it's really pretty.

Zack and Wiki: an original puzzle/adventure game.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot about No More Heroes 1 and 2, very cool action games.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 2, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Excellent - that's the type of list I'm looking for, thanks!

I've got a classic controller pro already. I forgot to mention this but I'd even be willing to look at some Wii-shop games as well.

Are there any RPGs that I've missed that are warrant playing through? I heard Arc Rise Fantastia's alright? What about the Pikmin games?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Kirios posted:

It was literally five bucks. I really, really enjoy Metroid games so it's worth a shot at least.

If you enjoy Metroid games I would highly recommend skipping Other M. Not even just because the plot is overwhelmingly dumb and sexist, but because the game is completely linear and has pretty bad controls. Also 20 minute cutscenes. It takes everything that was good about Metroid and throws it out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Battalion Wars 2 is a pretty fun/niche game, I recommend giving that a look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kirios posted:

Excellent - that's the type of list I'm looking for, thanks!

I've got a classic controller pro already. I forgot to mention this but I'd even be willing to look at some Wii-shop games as well.

Are there any RPGs that I've missed that are warrant playing through? I heard Arc Rise Fantastia's alright? What about the Pikmin games?

Pikmin's wonderful. Get them both, and if they're to your liking there's a third game on the WiiU.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Please destroy the Tales of Symphonia sequel. One less copy of that terrible game in the world. If you liked the first game, you must never play that one.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...the first Symphonia was my favorite Tales game ever. :(

Is it really that bad? Why's it so bad?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kirios posted:

...the first Symphonia was my favorite Tales game ever. :(

Is it really that bad? Why's it so bad?

Good God, the protagonist is the whiniest anime character ever and its so so painful to play. I pushed through it based on my love of ToS, but its really really painful.

Dude, just play ToS again.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The biggest game that sin committed was having all of the original Symphonia characters join you temporarily as "guests" and you can't play as them. DotNW is a bad tales game on par with Legendia (which is saying something since Legendia is literally unfinished) but it tried to get away with it by plastering beloved characters and locations all over itself.

That being said it does have a semi-interesting monster capture/training mechanic ala Pokemon. That was the one redeeming factor of that game, what I wouldn't give for a PC in a mainline Tales game that was a beastmaster and could capture wild beasts like that :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

LanceKing2200 posted:

The biggest game that sin committed was having all of the original Symphonia characters join you temporarily as "guests" and you can't play as them. DotNW is a bad tales game on par with Legendia (which is saying something since Legendia is literally unfinished) but it tried to get away with it by plastering beloved characters and locations all over itself.

:raise: Admittedly it's been a while, but last I checked, you could totally play as them, they just can't level up because...reasons, I guess. I mean, don't get me wrong, DotNW is by no means a great game, but it has enough actual flaws that we don't have to make things up about it.

E: For what it's worth, I say go for it. Certainly, temper your expectations before playing it, but if you ignore the plot (which is basically a retread of Symphonia 1) it plays well enough that you shouldn't have too many issues with it. Just remember that it was made by the Tales B-Team and it came out right around the same time as Vesperia, so you're looking at Abyss-era combat mechanics.

Artix fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 2, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

LanceKing2200 posted:

The biggest game that sin committed was having all of the original Symphonia characters join you temporarily as "guests" and you can't play as them.

You can actually, you just can't set them into party slot 1 for some reason. You could just switch to them in-battle in every battle.

Besides, I don't think that's the biggest issue with that game. I think the biggest issue is that they somehow made the battle system feel bad. I can't quite describe it, but there's something about the battle system that just feels off, almost like it's a non-Tales game that tries to imitate the real Tales games but doesn't quite get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirios posted:

If you enjoy Metroid games then Other M is the opposite of "worth a shot".

However, I still say play it entirely for the train wreck value. Also, it's five hours long so you're not wasting a lot of time being horrified at what they've done.

So interesting stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet: Lost in Shadow, A Boy and His Blob, Kirby's Epic Yarn, De Blob 1 and 2, Dead Space: Extraction, and ExciteBots (ExciteTruck is also a lot of fun but of the two Bots is much better).

• Locked thread