Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Hopefully they find out why trying to open the escape menu takes forever to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I've been running around like a moron just like when I got SHoC on release! :allears:

I finally got to the Bar and decided to poke at the chat button on the PDA and I found you can request trades with people.
Like this guy:

His status said depressed after. :smith:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus and I thought the bar entrance was a bitch to fine in SHoC

NOT NOW GRANDPA
Dec 6, 2005

I'll echo what others have said and say this is a gorgeous, mysterious, maddening experience that only a STALKER related thing could provide. Despite all the bugs, performance issues, confusion etc, it is the perfect successor to SoC. It's like 2007 all over again.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

Jesus and I thought the bar entrance was a bitch to fine in SHoC

Well at least the dogs are easier to ki-oh right. I swear I used more medkits/bandages/ammo in that yard than everything prior to that all combined. They could have made the entrance a locked door with a code requiring the player to solve a riddle in Cyrillic and I'd have been fine with it as long as it didn't bark.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wesley snypes posted:

Pro tip: if you find a military jeep, don't get in. You can't look down far enough to open the door, so you're stuck in the driver seat forever.

You can get put on the passenger side actually.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Monolith. posted:

Hopefully they find out why trying to open the escape menu takes forever to come up.

This is usually a problem with too many update functions, or a function that is firing too much and doing too much when it is being called. This is a problem with the dynamic shaders for SoC aswell because of the update function Meltac uses.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Vorenus posted:

Well at least the dogs are easier to ki-oh right. I swear I used more medkits/bandages/ammo in that yard than everything prior to that all combined. They could have made the entrance a locked door with a code requiring the player to solve a riddle in Cyrillic and I'd have been fine with it as long as it didn't bark.

They die in 2 shots to a chaser 13 and you can get a chaser 13 as early as when you have to deal with the Sin members in the cordon. Always keep a shotgun with you for the sake of mutants. It took me less than 15 buckshot to clear out the psuedodogs and I only got bit once by them. They're really not that difficult.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kinda wish the .44 had more oomph.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I ran out of ammo for my .44 but I think it hits pretty hard. It is .44 special instead of .44 magnum after all. I've no idea how to get more ammo for it but I've got this one incendiary round for a rainy day. Dunno if its useful or not but hey!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Loving Lost Alpha, it's like a fourth STALKER game. I've always been annoyed that no matter what other mods added or changed, the game still felt very familiar (I haven't played People's Soup though). This has blown me away so far, I've only got as far as the Garbage but I'm very impressed.

Does anyone know what setting I need to change to prevent myself going blind?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I really need to stop reading about LA, as my lack of computer is depressing me.

That said, I need a few pointers when it comes to building a new rig. It's the first time I've ever really done it and I want to get the most bang for my buck, as I'm limiting myself to a budget of £700.

I guess I've got a good idea what I want, I'd just like someone to see if it is as good as it can be.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Go to this thread, read relevant parts of the OP, post your budget, current idea (ideally on PCPartPicker) and use-case (casual gaming, hardcore gaming etc.), and ask for suggestions.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 2, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've already got something on pc parts picker but being my usual fuckwit self the link is on a flash drive that i can't access with my phone.

Thanks for the thread pointer, though. Will definitely check it out.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

Loving Lost Alpha, it's like a fourth STALKER game. I've always been annoyed that no matter what other mods added or changed, the game still felt very familiar (I haven't played People's Soup though). This has blown me away so far, I've only got as far as the Garbage but I'm very impressed.

Looks like god is blasting the poo poo out of you with his rays.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Thank You Card posted:

They die in 2 shots to a chaser 13 and you can get a chaser 13 as early as when you have to deal with the Sin members in the cordon. Always keep a shotgun with you for the sake of mutants. It took me less than 15 buckshot to clear out the psuedodogs and I only got bit once by them. They're really not that difficult.

I have a sawn-off, haven't come across a chaser yet. Maybe I'm just rusty?

nexus6 posted:

Gamma?

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

nexus6 posted:

Does the skybox always look like that? I remember having that always-luminescent sky when I used DX9 dynamic lighting. Pretty sure it was a graphical glitch.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
LA is really cool the whole it freezing for like 10 seconds when you quicksave or hit escape thing is really ruining the vibe though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

LA really does feel like a fourth game in the series.
Even down to being crash prone and having performance issues all the time until it inevitably gets patched somewhere down the line.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
It was so weird seeing comments on the ModDB page of people complaining about how buggy the game was and how they shouldn't have released it yet. Felt like average Stalker to me?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

nexus6 posted:

Open user.ltx, set r2_tonemap_middlegray to something below 0.5. (I use .2) Then read about other tweaks here: http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=22434&sec_id=19

Into that darker night, old boy!

E. And turn sun rays completely off

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 3, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Antignition posted:

Does the skybox always look like that? I remember having that always-luminescent sky when I used DX9 dynamic lighting. Pretty sure it was a graphical glitch.

Only certain times of day. I'll try DX10.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Underground in Agorprom, chasing a Burer amidst a pack of zombies. I've used what feels like two hundred bullets and he's still truckin'. I lose him around a corner, so I decide to concentrate on the zombies. Move two rooms deeper, Burer right in my face.

Knifed him in the grill, he goes down.

Good to be back, STALKER.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coughing Hobo posted:

Underground in Agorprom, chasing a Burer amidst a pack of zombies. I've used what feels like two hundred bullets and he's still truckin'. I lose him around a corner, so I decide to concentrate on the zombies. Move two rooms deeper, Burer right in my face.

Knifed him in the grill, he goes down.

Good to be back, STALKER.

He walked right into the bubbly acid poo poo and went down quick for me.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Ddraig posted:

This is usually a problem with too many update functions, or a function that is firing too much and doing too much when it is being called. This is a problem with the dynamic shaders for SoC aswell because of the update function Meltac uses.

Is there anything I can do on my side like pick different lighting or...?

Or just wait for a patch?

Speaking of a patch, here's 1.3001

http://www.mediafire.com/download/luxs9thrxh9v87a/STALKER_LostAlpha_patch_1.3001_.exe And patch notes: http://dl.oblivionlost.pl/lostalpha/PATCH/STALKER_LostAlpha_patch_1.3001_changelog.txt

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Nice one mono, I popped in to see if that was released.

Also, agroprom + agro underground are a single map, awesome, meaning that the military can grenade you.
bonus spoiler for those who have found the book, but are wondering why their quest is not progressing : you need the flash drive as well:
There are two rooms connecting the two curving tunnels, one has a red herring movable trolly and table, the other has an immovable set, the flash drive is in the punched out grille in the ventilation, that you can reach by standing on the immovable table/trolly.

Ddraig posted:

I really need to stop reading about LA, as my lack of computer is depressing me.

That said, I need a few pointers when it comes to building a new rig. It's the first time I've ever really done it and I want to get the most bang for my buck, as I'm limiting myself to a budget of £700.

I guess I've got a good idea what I want, I'd just like someone to see if it is as good as it can be.

700 squid is not bad at all, actually, I'd keep an eye out on ebay for a graphics card, also shop around for 2 gig or so internal or external hd's.
I also recommend samsungs ssd's, the 250 gig one should not take too much of a chunk out, mobo and processor are the only two things people's opinions differ on really, personally asus or gigabyte seem to be alright, I have not paid a massive amount of attention to amd myself, I have an old i5 in my main rig, its alright, but the latest batch of processors use 1155 or 1150, I have no idea, best to check the schc forums for the present sweet spot.

Hmmm, I have a spare m-atx I need to test. if it works, I'll send you a pm, its limited to on-chip graphics, so a bit useless for games.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 3, 2014

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My menus and quicksave are instant, no waiting. But my saved games did get corrupted like 10 minutes into the game :(

I'm using static lighting so dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Whoa, I'd try that patch if you had a super long escape menu pause. It still takes a couple seconds but it's much more responsive now. I think I might actually try out the mod now.

Full Dynamic (DX9), 1280x720, High settings

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Using the patch now. on Full Dynamic DX9. Runs much better.

But what the hell is this? A setting I need to change?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

The spirit of the zone persists through patches apparently.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basticle posted:

Using the patch now. on Full Dynamic DX9. Runs much better.

But what the hell is this? A setting I need to change?

Suicide is the only way out now, stalker.

In my attempt to find a way out of the bar I came across a stalker shredding a guitar
Holy bleeding Christ how do I get out of here

frank.club fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 3, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

MRC48B posted:

I ran into a fun bug, but I'd better spoiler it:

After getting away from the military, you get knocked out and captured by SIN in the mines. Well, apparently the leader you are supposed to talk to after getting captured flagged me as hostile for some reason, because he would begin talking after the player woke up, then as he was talking, pull out an AS VAL and immediately shoot the player in the head. Game over.:commissar:

Hey, I ran into this too. Hopefully the patch fixes it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently I should reinstall, patched and tried to load my quicksave gets me this:

Expression : fatal error
Function : weapon_hud_value::load
File : WeaponHUD.cpp
Line : 38
Description : <no expression>
Arguments : There is no 'binoculars' bone for weapon 'w_binoc_hud'.

Its never good when you lose your binoculars bone :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Vorenus posted:

Hey, I ran into this too. Hopefully the patch fixes it.

Did you guys both kill SIN rather than negotiating for Fox? I understand this is a bad thing to do.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So before the patch I was able to see my feet. Can I not do that anymore? Or is that a DX9 feature that isn't there with DX10/10.1?

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

GoldenNugget posted:

So before the patch I was able to see my feet. Can I not do that anymore? Or is that a DX9 feature that isn't there with DX10/10.1?

I wouldn't be surprised if they took it out considering that it was a really big cause of the leg bone error crashes.

Rime posted:

Did you guys both kill SIN rather than negotiating for Fox? I understand this is a bad thing to do.
It was quicker to kill them and they had a chaser 13 I wanted. No regrets.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Thank You Card posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took it out considering that it was a really big cause of the leg bone error crashes.

Bummer, it looked so cool. And I wasn't having any errors in the 15 minutes that I played.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Rime posted:

I negotiated for Fox actually.

Got past that bit though. The trick is to immediately press "F" to open a conversation with the leader, then speed through the conversation before he becomes hostile.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I too, negotiated, but if you return there later they are hostile, so the temptation of the chaser's became too great....

uM, loading is amazingly quick now with the patch, I have had one leg bone crash, so disabled self view,
did anyone work out what the key wolf/fox or whoever in the cordon, sends you to go get, Opens?
also, I am debating creating a new all.sav with the patch, however, as everything seems to be working great, I am happy to leave stuff alone, I wonder if carrying corpses through zone changers is possible... as I have a few dozen guns & sundry crap to drag to the bar from agroprom.

Edit: Brome, one of the duty guys has a better anomaly detector, he wanders around in the hanger opposite the end of the bar path.
Tried the arena, does not work, they get strangly upset when you get bored of wandering around & stab the audience.
Exploring the bar/great metal works area can be rewarding, especially for those who ascend.

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just started lost alpha, Sidorovich sent me to rescue Fox but I heard a gunshot and failed the mission as soon as I passed the overpass, the Sin guys in the house all just let me shoot them in the face without resistance, and now I'm not sure how I can advance the plot. Did I miss something or what? I installed the AI patch.