Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I love the power management system in Iwar2 being able to reduce power to the different systems and see your signature go down. Not sure how much any of it actually did but it was fun to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kairo posted:

Any hints/tips?

Mr. Crow touched on a major thing, which is that using WASD with the joystick lets you exceed speed limits within ports, which gains you an advantage over the AI, which tends to respect speed limits. It's a bit cheese, and sometimes turns battles into jousting events (mental note: look for space-based jousting game after the current tide of indie space games crests and falls), but even just using your thrusters to help you maneuver in battles, one hand on WASD, the other on the joystick, will serve you well.

If you're mostly doing the arcade-y Instant Action mode, tapping '3' tells your AI partners to shoot at your target. If you're starting out with a dumber ship, this can be useful, since you're usually guarded by mid-level corvettes and have to kind of earn your way toward the better ships. If they die, you just get more, so let 'em. There's also a transport that you can dock with that shows up every six battles or so.

I-War 2 is a really good game and an engine far ahead of its time, that so much deserved an expansion pack to round it out. Just by digging into the game manual or the engineering screen, you can see the open possibilities.

I won't get into how badly the game deserves a sequel. As you play it, remember: a game like this came out in the year 2000. It's stellar for that alone.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 29, 2014

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As previously stated I am a dummy and never heard about this game or paid attention until recently. My most pressing question, is that movie poster going to be for sale at some point? :allears:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

I played the campaign and instant action for about two hours last night. It's quite neat, and it's encouraging to see Starfighter feels similar in some ways (such as warping around a system). I like their usage of wireframe and am going to make the system Jump Nodes look similar.

And their info reticle is really cool. I am going try something similar to their implementation of weapon range indication -- rotate the target reticle when you're in range and keep it locked when out of range, or maybe an orange-to-red color swap will be enough.

Excited to play more tonight!

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

As previously stated I am a dummy and never heard about this game or paid attention until recently. My most pressing question, is that movie poster going to be for sale at some point? :allears:

I am looking at https://www.redbubble.com to print up posters. Will do more research over lunch, but they seem to be quite reasonable, and some artists I really like use their services too, like http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds awesome. Thanks for answering.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

I'd seen some of his stuff before, nice to know who it is. Thanks.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Redbubble is great, pretty fast production and shipping too.

I have one of his prints up on my wall :allears:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kairo posted:

I played the campaign and instant action for about two hours last night. It's quite neat, and it's encouraging to see Starfighter feels similar in some ways (such as warping around a system). I like their usage of wireframe and am going to make the system Jump Nodes look similar.

And their info reticle is really cool. I am going try something similar to their implementation of weapon range indication -- rotate the target reticle when you're in range and keep it locked when out of range, or maybe an orange-to-red color swap will be enough.

Excited to play more tonight!

Neat. IW2 made a lot of good design decisions, such as the conceit of placing the HUD into the visor that the player is supposed to be wearing, as you describe. Though the game isn't perfect, it's nice seeing it appreciated and perhaps cribbed from in a modern game.

I got in touch with Ravenger just recently on the GOG forum to ask for some advice on creating a mod. He's a former IWar2 dev and always pretty happy to chat about the game if you have any questions. He's also got an account here, but with no PMs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I-War 2 is possibly my favorite Space Sim game, I haven't played it in ages though, I should change that some time.

One hint I'll give is that you can turn off flight assist and manually thrust to some crazy speeds, its great for combat. Also, if you find yourself going in a direction you'd rather not way too fast, just start spooling up the LDS drive and then cut it before actually engaging, for some reason it just completely kills your current velocity, great for evasive maneuvers and rapid vector changes.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Galaga Galaxian posted:

for some reason it just completely kills your current velocity, great for evasive maneuvers and rapid vector changes.

Well obviously it's because in order for the drive to access ultraspace and generate false mass, it has to collapse the normally separate 7 dimensions into a singularity, which causes your momentum to reset in the context of your relationship between those collapsed dimensions.

Niel Degrasse Tyson went over this in the most recent episode of Cosmos.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I got in touch with Ravenger just recently on the GOG forum to ask for some advice on creating a mod. He's a former IWar2 dev and always pretty happy to chat about the game if you have any questions. He's also got an account here, but with no PMs.

Just thought I'd pop on here as doctorfrog told me some I-War 2 chat was going on here.

It's wonderful to find people playing and enjoying I-War 2 after all these years. It's been great reading the comments on this thread. Many thanks doctorfrog for letting me know.

If you have any questions about the I-War games or their development then feel free to ask me.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Badass! I loved I-War 2 and thank you and your fellow devs for your work. I also remember playing with a force-feedback joystick and loving how strong the forces were when playing the game - definitely didn't hold back on the numbers for that.
Uh, no questions on my end.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ravenger posted:

Just thought I'd pop on here as doctorfrog told me some I-War 2 chat was going on here.

It's wonderful to find people playing and enjoying I-War 2 after all these years. It's been great reading the comments on this thread. Many thanks doctorfrog for letting me know.

If you have any questions about the I-War games or their development then feel free to ask me.

When (If ever while developing the game) did you guys realize the best way to kill space stations was by chucking a cargo container at it at several kilometers a second? :v: (preferably one full of antimatter for that extra :fuckoff:)

Also I-War 2 owns, and I love how it supports modern resolutions out of the box and so many choices about the UI and other things. gently caress Freespace 2 (feels too slow) I-War 2 is the second greatest Space Sim ever for me. First is TIE Fighter, though honestly I'd say I-War 2 is actually the better game.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When (If ever while developing the game) did you guys realize the best way to kill space stations was by chucking a cargo container at it at several kilometers a second? :v: (preferably one full of antimatter for that extra :fuckoff:)

Um.. no. :doh:

[quote]
Also I-War 2 owns, and I love how it supports modern resolutions out of the box and so many choices about the UI and other things. gently caress Freespace 2 (feels too slow) I-War 2 is the second greatest Space Sim ever for me. First is TIE Fighter, though honestly I'd say I-War 2 is actually the better game.

Thanks for the kind words! It's an amazing engine, especially when you consider it was developed on P2-400's.

Framerates while developing the game were around 10-15fps on my PC.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for making a great game I-war2 had probably the best atmosphere of any space game I've played. Also cutting beam :black101::fh:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Ravenger posted:

Haha, wow -- well the game has scaled really well. I am sad I missed playing it when it came out, but I'm really enjoying my time with it now!

I have a tech question if that's cool:

How did you guys handle ships outside the current loaded area? I am guessing their AI/movement was LOD'd down but if you could go over any restrictions this imposed or how that was handled, it would be super helpful.

Thanks for stopping by!

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Jumping to the IW2 love bandwagon. Sank so many hours exploring and pirating; should probably replay it one of these days. Freespace 1/2 had a more engrossing story, but IW2 had it beat in general ambience and gameplay by spades. That music. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, the music was excellent. I still have the MP3s tucked away on my computer.

Honestly, if I knew anything at all about video recording and editing, I'd probably do an LP of I-War 2.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I played the first I-War back in the day (yo) and I thought it was interesting, but flawed. It's been a while, so I don't remember exact details, but the key memories I have are having to try to run a six-man ship by myself and repeatedly flinging myself away from encounters as soon as they started going even a tiny bit south because (a) once stuff started getting broken, you'd soon be crippled and helpless and (b) if you could get away from the encounter, autorepair would restore you to perfect condition, and the enemy never bothered to pursue. How does I-War 2 compare?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I-War 2 ditches the whole "multi-crew" concept and gives your character a super-special prototype command module designed to fold all that poo poo into a single pilot's seat. It has an awesome UI and interface system using the hatswitch of the joystick.

Basically tap the hat switch and your flight reticle/gunsight fills with menu options:

And here is what the engineering menu looks like:

For me at least, it was really easy to go through the menus using the hat switch. You could even keep flying via normal joystick movement while using the menu. I think you could even shoot if you needed to, but I can't remember.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You could maneuver, shoot, and adjust power settings simultaneously with a hat-stick. The downside? You basically needed a joystick to play the game as it was designed. The upside? It was awesome.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ynglaur posted:

You could maneuver, shoot, and adjust power settings simultaneously with a hat-stick. The downside? You basically needed a joystick to play the game as it was designed. The upside? It was awesome.

The I-War 2 menu maps perfectly to a gamepad's d-pad. Dominic White made a control profile for an Xbox Gamepad which maps pretty much everything perfectly.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Ynglaur posted:

The downside? You basically needed a joystick to play the game as it was designed

Welcome to space sims, sucka. :c00lbert:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I-War 2 ditches the whole "multi-crew" concept and gives your character a super-special prototype command module designed to fold all that poo poo into a single pilot's seat. It has an awesome UI and interface system using the hatswitch of the joystick.

Basically tap the hat switch and your flight reticle/gunsight fills with menu options:

And here is what the engineering menu looks like:

For me at least, it was really easy to go through the menus using the hat switch. You could even keep flying via normal joystick movement while using the menu. I think you could even shoot if you needed to, but I can't remember.
The fun bit is that, though you are piloting a one-off prototype that allows a full command section to be run by one dude, the ships you are casually murdering are still manned by 4-30 man crews: http://www.i-war2.com/ships_db.htm

edit: I'm digging into I-War 2's small and somewhat stunted garden of mods again. It looks like you can have a more Elite-like game (with station-to-station trading instead of just piracy with central trading) by adding the following mods from http://www.i-war2.com/assoc_mods.htm:
  • UniGui v2a
  • UniGui FutureTrader
  • UniGui Station Assault (lets you permanently destroy stations for some fat loot, be careful unless you don't care about your gamesave)

Or you can install one of the larger mods, which all sound rather complex and buggy, but perhaps fun after beating the game. I-War 2's modding community burned out too quick :(. Where's my I-War 3, is what I want to know.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 2, 2014

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010
My favorite IW2 trick (aside from near-relativistic AM cargo crates :black101:) was rampant low-risk piracy moneys by filling the egress side of L-points with mines. Load up a ton of mines an a launcher and just spew those things all over the L-point exit. Some ships can do this *really* safely depending on what direction they throw the mines. Ships come cruising out of the L-point after a jump and can't evade the mines they didn't know about and cargo ends up everywhere, but none of it registered as YOU performing a hostile act.

Pair it with the megafreighter mod and enjoy having all the money you could ever need, ever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I take it I-War 2 is also more sandboxy than the original game, which was more like Wing Commander in having a series of missions?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, the first act and some of the second is fairly linear, but partway through the second act things open up and you can basically do whatever you want.

Even before that, though you can fly around as you wish. It takes a while before it gives you the full abilities to go play pirate though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Ravenger

Have you and the team thought about kickstarting I-War 3? Is the ip tied up, or is the series 'creatively' done?

e: Thanks for THE spaceship simulators!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the first act and some of the second is fairly linear, but partway through the second act things open up and you can basically do whatever you want.

Even before that, though you can fly around as you wish. It takes a while before it gives you the full abilities to go play pirate though.

The game is fairly liner, it's just liner in a GTA open-world style rather than the literal mission-to-mission linearity of IW1. Also some missions come in email form and don't get an in-space objective marker so it's actually possible to forget they exist and be stumped as to what you need to do to progress.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Best tip I can think of is when you've been camping a L point for a while and there is cargo all over the place if you just call for pickup the guy driving the tug will auto mark the most valuable stuff. It might take him longer to pick things up because they are spread all over the god drat place but you don't have to tab through 30+ crates of 1k credit crap.

God, what was the tug pilot's name?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sphrin posted:

Best tip I can think of is when you've been camping a L point for a while and there is cargo all over the place if you just call for pickup the guy driving the tug will auto mark the most valuable stuff. It might take him longer to pick things up because they are spread all over the god drat place but you don't have to tab through 30+ crates of 1k credit crap.

God, what was the tug pilot's name?

Jafs. And he's a bit of a creep, so there's a mod that silences him and optionally gives you a much bigger cargo hauler for him to pilot. It doesn't quite match the "I'm a scrappy pilot" flavor of the game, but after a bit you start wanting to haul more than 8 crates back to base.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Ravenger posted:

Thanks for the kind words! It's an amazing engine, especially when you consider it was developed on P2-400's.

I should probably go and do some playthroughs of this, given that I bought them from GoG over a year ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

The game is fairly liner, it's just liner in a GTA open-world style rather than the literal mission-to-mission linearity of IW1. Also some missions come in email form and don't get an in-space objective marker so it's actually possible to forget they exist and be stumped as to what you need to do to progress.

Since I'm digging through I-War 2 mods anyway:
  • Multimod is a basic necessity
  • Deluxe Starmap w/Walkthrough and Walkthrough Encyclopedia are there if you're stumped
  • Custom Jafs gets you the bigger boat and shuts Jafs up
  • Gamesaves if you want to skip everything and go straight to free-form mode.
Bigger, fatter mods that emphasize free roaming play, are practically different games from the original I-War 2, and probably have some bugs include:
  • Ultimate Freeform (get the one without the soundtrack b/c it's garbage)
  • http://torn-stars.com/ for Torn Stars and Unstable Space, both hugely ambitious but incomplete mods.
  • Unleashed on the assoc mods page changes a bunch of stuff in the base game
  • See my post a few up about the others that add trading to the I-War 2 base game.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 3, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Is there something that fixes the autopilot jumping you into suns and exploding you?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I vaguely recall that happening maybe once or twice? Normally it's pretty good about avoiding things (I think you just don't take damage while in Auto-pilot + LDS, I fly through asteroids all the time and it's whatevs).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It happened constantly for me. Like literally constantly. I had to manually abort every jump that went near the sun and restart it several times to hopefully get it to jump around instead of into the sun, and even then it was problematic. If I just let the autopilot fly it, it'd dump me right in the sun.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hey nerds. I don't care about iw2. Talk about enemy star fighter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No one cares what you think. Also, the guy who started the I-War 2 conversation? The guy making Enemy Starfighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Ravenger posted:

Do you get any proceeds from GOG sales, or have the rights been transferred in totality one or more times between now and then? I've always been curious about that, especially since some games outlast the lives of their original publishers several times over. I've not played the Iwar games, but may check out Iwar 2 this weekend.

• Locked thread