Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is pretty god drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Maybe it's just a smaller series that covers the new stuff? Or something?

Atlus what are you doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This cow ain't dry! Keep milking! This is all we have until Persona 5!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.p4ga.jp/

Starts Airing in July too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We were watching the live-stream over at the Megami Tensei Megathread and, aside from people getting uncomfortable with Tomokazu Seki (Kanji) doing his really weird shtick of being a gigantic pervert, most people disliked the idea of YET ANOTHER PERSONA 3-4 THING. Also, Kana Hanazawa continues to be in everything and, while I enjoy her goofier voice stylings, Marie was kind of a bore.

While I would have preferred anything other than another Anime adaptation of Persona 3/4 material, I'm hoping that the anime doesn't run into a brickwall like the previous one did.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
Well, warmed-over rehashes have made them plenty of money from the games side, so they probably figured why not try it with the anime?

:suicide:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

arhra posted:

Well, warmed-over rehashes have made them plenty of money from the games side, so they probably figured why not try it with the anime?

:suicide:

On the other hand let's consider what happened when they decided to make an original Persona anime! A remake sounds half-assed but having a new studio behind the wheel might make it a little interesting, which is way more than I could say about Trinity Soul.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The persona franchise will be something Atlus will milk dry in all media formats and game genres for all of eternity. Just wait for the anime adaptation of Dancing All Night.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
In other news, I nabbed a early bird seat on the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition Kickstarter. :toot:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The new P4 anim is a NG+ run with a true harem ending.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

http://www.p4ga.jp/

Starts Airing in July too.

At least the director isn't Seiji Kishi again, though I don't think this Tomohisa Taguchi guy has ever been a series director.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While most of them are confused, I've seen some people who are legit upset. I think they feel like they're being forced to watch it, or something?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

The Devil Tesla posted:

While most of them are confused, I've seen some people who are legit upset. I think they feel like they're being forced to watch it, or something?

I could kinda see people getting upset if they were looking for some Persona 5 footage, or irrational fears that this example of :retrogames: would sink Atlus. :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The thing I'm wondering is why rehash Persona 4 when they have Persona 4 Arena they could pull from (and promote) to even get some Persona 3 characters in. Also Brooklyn accent Labrys.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

The newly added character, Marie is hated by a certain faction of fans and a lot of them are vocal about her not being a canon character. Atlus just doubled down on her with the anime and a video game with her in it.

I'm curious to see if the anime goes down other paths this time around, like getting on the soccer team and picking drama club instead of band. Those two choices actually can lead to a different story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I can understand being upset, Atlus teased this as a big new persona project so tons of people went wild with speculation and for the big reveal to end up being...this, is pretty underwhelming.

Also nerds love getting mad.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Delusibeta posted:

In other news, I nabbed a early bird seat on the Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition Kickstarter. :toot:

I'm a little disappointed that this Kickstarter is apparently limited to the UK.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Here's hoping they do the actually good social links this time.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm finding it hard to be too mad since we'll probably get King's Game 2.0, and if Yu has the same personality it will still be hilarious.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Maybe P5 is more connected to P4 than the previous games were, and they want to designate a specific canon for what Yu does going in to P5. Or maybe they just want something Persona related on the air in the months leading up to P5 coming out in Japan.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I'm finding it hard to be too mad since we'll probably get King's Game 2.0, and if Yu has the same personality it will still be hilarious.

I hope they don't drop Aika and Magical Girl Detective Loveline.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

wielder posted:

I'm a little disappointed that this Kickstarter is apparently limited to the UK.

There's a couple of European countries able to join in (Republic of Ireland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and of course the UK), but yeah, it's All The Anime exploiting their previously gotten licence, and I understand GKids already nabbed US rights to that film. Hence, American money not accepted.

I should link to this thing I'm talking about, shouldn't I? Here's said kickstarter, there's about 60 slots in the early bird Ultimate Edition tier as of posting, and they're already at £14k of a target of £16k and it launched a little over two and a half hours ago.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

There's a couple of European countries able to join in (Republic of Ireland, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and of course the UK), but yeah, it's All The Anime exploiting their previously gotten licence, and I understand GKids already nabbed US rights to that film. Hence, American money not accepted.

I should link to this thing I'm talking about, shouldn't I? Here's said kickstarter, there's about 60 slots in the early bird Ultimate Edition tier as of posting, and they're already at £14k of a target of £16k and it launched a little over two and a half hours ago.

And as of this post, they're just over $£500 off their mark. drat, this is quite the response, and they've still got a whole 29 days to go.

e: Whoops, pounds, not dollars.

e2:

Waffleman_ posted:

Trigger is asking Twitter where girls hang out in England. The jokes are easy to make, but it's very likely that it's Little Witch Academia 2 research.

:allears: Oh, Trigger.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trigger is asking Twitter where girls hang out in England. The jokes are easy to make, but it's very likely that it's Little Witch Academia 2 research.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ViggyNash posted:

And as of this post, they're just over $500 off their mark. drat, this is quite the response, and they've still got a whole 29 days to go.

Five hundred pounds, Viggy, that's eight hundred and fifty-ish of your colonial funny monies.

Also: pledged. :woop:

Waffleman_ posted:

This cow ain't dry! Keep milking! This is all we have until Persona 5!

This is just... :cripes:

Where is P5, anyway?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Finally just threw up my hands and dropped Dai Shogun. What garbage, ugh. I am a patient person and saw a few interesting things, but by the midway point of episode 4 I was just getting sick of all the stupid bullshit, encroaching harem crap when it's a goddamn Very Important Plot Point that the hero be virginal and has two ninjas whose job it is to ensure that, yeah GREAT loving JOB with that. For a brief moment I was a bit hopeful at the totally-not-Naoto-Shirogane character but then like five goddamn seconds in she's in a yukata and flaunted before a crowd and I was just 'no more of this, I'm out'

All of us here know how bad Daimidaler is, right? You can only imagine how bad a show is when I'm willing to drop it twice as hard as that (though admittedly, Daimidaler did save grace by having a not-entirely-terrible sorta-kinda-decent-ish fourth episode). Aughhhhh.

As for the rest of my shows,

Akuma no Riddle is the kind of show that is more entertaining on having a fun setup and gimmick to it rather than the actual writing quality. Not to say it's bad in that regard, just a touch unremarkable, and what is really making the show is the episodic character plot. These kinds of things usually have good success, and it's very much like something akin to...I guess 999 or Dangan Ronpa, though I haven't actually followed either of those.

Black Bullet has pulled ahead from the others in my opinion. Started out with me all >.> from the off-putting lolicon stuff, but that faded away and then episode 4 happened, which was just so crazy and intense for being so early on that I can't help but like it a lot.

Blade and Soul is consistent, if nothing else. Very predictable and low-key, but...pleasant? in a way? Surprisingly laid back considering it's about well-endowed action ladies throwing a spanner into the works of a dominating empire.

Captain Earth is probably something I'm only following because of personal bias. Namely that the giant robot looks really cool. I can definitely imagine the sticking points for many, namely how confusing everything is and how everyone goes out of their way to muddle explanation in meaningless technobabble and vagueness. But those are things that bother me less than others, so.

Brynhildr is apparently much like Elfen Lied, though I've never seen that either. From what I've heard it's much the same, tragic heroines fated for awful deaths thanks to manipulative laboratory assholes. Part of that is sketchy, but the show's good enough at making me clench everything at how everything goes to poo poo, so there's that.

Chaika is probably the show of the season that I'd recommend to everyone, because it's just...good, in a way less subjective than the other shows I'm on. Solid character writing, world building, plot development, mystery, and all that stuff. It's very nice.

M3 I have yet to reach a verdict on, because the second episode was just so weird and silly despite everything being taken seriously. We will see on this one.

Nobunaga the Fool continues to be Nobunaga the Fool. It's good but in that cheesy way that Sunrise often does things, where there's often very big gaping flaws that permeate the show. It's certainly fun, but far from perfect, and probably won't amount to that much.

Wixoss has finally made started to make due on its whole 'we're totally Madoka with cards' thing, and I hope from here it follows up instead of wimping out. There's a good sense of what's at stake, namely 'if you fail, you get the exact opposite of your greatest wish', and the two examples we've seen are genuinely awful consequences. Moderately high hopes for this.

And finally Knights of Sidonia is another one that's just really solidly good. The choppy CGI for characters is probably a big turn-off for many, but honestly, part of me feels like it's an intentional choice - the whole thing is set on a scrapped-together-seeming super sterile generation ship where all the technology is borked and prone to failure, so it seems almost appropriate that the entire thing has an aesthetic feel of being computer-ey and aged, in a way. The source material is very well recieved, so this is likely to turn out a winner of the season.

I was also poking at possibly watching Break Blade but eh...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is just... :cripes:

Where is P5, anyway?

It exists and it's going to be on the PS3. That's all we know. Also that the dominant color scheme seems to be red.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
And Patema Inverted's kickstarter is across the line! £16k in a little under six hours 15 minutes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The trailer starts with P4's ending so I'm hoping Golden will be an entirely tongue-in-cheek NG+ run. Instead of going out on various daily activities to build his stats and meet new people, Yu just sits on his rear end reading books, building models, and cruising around on his bike.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone planning on a thread for Akuma no Riddle? I'm loving it a lot more than I thought I would, especially after episode 5. If no one else plans to, I might make one.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

Is anyone planning on a thread for Akuma no Riddle? I'm loving it a lot more than I thought I would, especially after episode 5. If no one else plans to, I might make one.

I'd like if you did. It's pretty good and the premise & structure remind of Utena a lot (which of course makes it a little more fun to watch by association). Hell there are a lot of shows that remind me of Utena this season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I'd make it myself, except that I suck at OPs. Go for it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kawaisou doesn't get better by the way. Dropped.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Kawaisou doesn't get better by the way. Dropped.

Really? I'm finding it to be picking up in terms of comedy and actual romance stuff

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

In terms of romance yes. In terms of comedy no. I was mainly hoping for a comedy show with a dash of romance. It's the other way round and I don't like how the romance is done in addition to that.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ah fair enough, I do like the characters and their chemistry and humor but I can see other people disliking it. Different strokes for different people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

In terms of romance yes. In terms of comedy no. I was mainly hoping for a comedy show with a dash of romance. It's the other way round and I don't like how the romance is done in addition to that.

Edit: After watching episode 5 of Kawaisou, it's still definitely a RomCom with more comedy than romance. At least when compared to One Week Friends that is.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 4, 2014

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It exists and it's going to be on the PS3. That's all we know. Also that the dominant color scheme seems to be red.

We also know that there will be chairs involved.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Secret sequel to Bokurano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Against my better judgment, I've actually been watching Blade and Soul, and I'm honestly a bit conflicted about it. It seems to be trying really hard to be more than what it absolutely looks like it would be, and it's... sort of succeeding a bit? Without the character designs holding it back it still wouldn't be able to do much more than be maybe slightly better than mediocre, but in terms of episode structure it calls to my mind much better shows like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. The way they seem to be doing things also makes some sense when you look at it through the lens of it being based on a Korean MMO, and each episode is an independent quest line. It also has some good fights so far, which basically involve the gunner character going all Revolver Ocelot.

I guess what I can say about it is that it's better than expected, but that may not count for much. If you do check it out, be warned that episode 1 is pretty weak and 5 is very obviously a budget episode, but it's clear that they devoted a lot of budget to particular scenes in other episodes.

Also maybe it's just me, but a lot of the time it looks like the show was done by rotoscoping, at the very least for the fights.

• Locked thread