Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Budzilla posted:

Why did I have to find out about Bob Hoskins death this way? :(

Edit: Gonna watch 'The Long good Friday'
JRROSE! wanted to make sure we all heard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Ugh, it's sad that this basic point really does need to be hammered on again and again. Basic economic poo poo that's being contradicted night after night on the news channel most people watch.

R. Mute posted:

Deep insights.

And there's the reason we lost this battle. Oh, it's obvious to everyone that demand creates jobs. People are calling rich fucks "job creators"? Sure, let them be silly, we'll all laugh at them. Wait, people are believing them? We're cutting tens of billions in taxes by saying that will help the economy? This has been going on 30 years now with this idiotic justification? Uh... poo poo, guess we can't do anything about it/those people are too long gone/just an extremist minority. That's what's happened. It's a legitimate major problem that needs a solution that I don't have. Making the original point probably won't help much, but at least it's trying something.

Jerusalem posted:

Muir can NOT be this willfully dense. He literally one strip earlier ended a storyline where Zed was saved (again) by Don Portago, reliant entirely on him in every way to achieve his goals. Now Skye is being criticized for taking advantage of Don Portago's wealth.

Muir's a conservative patriot fighting the long war against his corrupt evil country. Anything he does is good. Skye's a liberal baby-making slut. Anything she does is bad.

It's particularly great here because what Muir's implying isn't that that both parties should fly - it's that a mother with two newborn babies should take the bus or drive from Maryland/wherever to Argentina on her own.

Nice to hear the Tea Party's having troubles, though, and a friendly reminder that Chris Muir's trash in every possible way.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 3, 2014

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Y'see, when Muiry Sue relies entirely on money and aid from a plot devicingly rich benefactor, it's simply him evening the odds since all of the decks are stacked against him on account of his being a white male patriot. He's not cheating, he's making the game fair.

When Skye or *insert strawman character here* benefits in any way shape or form through outside help, it's utter bullshit. No, gently caress those guys, don't they win enough already? What the hell, loving hax man, I'm calling hax.

Basically the same thing you'd hear as a kid to justify using a GameShark.
"I need to in order to make it fair! The computer keeps cheating and insta-killing me! Not like fuckin' Skye, the drat game loves her, she's always landing critical hits!"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:whip:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

THIS PODIUM KILLS FASCISTS :allears:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

For those who don’t know, that’s city hall of Toronto. YOu can guess what the silhouete is.

gently caress da leafs forever

So it’s come to light our telecoms monopoloies (gently caress Rogers, Bell and Telus) decided to give our personal information en mass to the Government

SO, the province of Ontario dropped a budget which they said would reduce the deficit by 2017/2018. Among plans to do so is to increase taxes on those making more than 150k, and on aviation fuel, and eliminating a tax benefit for the biggest corporations. So, of course, the Conservative leaning ones are throwing a shitfit. Worth noting the PCs got Ontario into the worst deficit ever from a huge surplus :irony:

So, long story short, despite the budget being practically loving tailormade for them, including having their main support base telling them to vote for it (the unions), the NDP (our leftist party) decided to vote against it, for reasons covered in the next cartoons. Therefore, Election in Ontario

The reason the NDP forced the election is because of what’s known as the gas plant scandal. Basically, the ruling Liberal Party cancelled two gas proposed gas plants in swing ridings to gain votes to a total of $1 billion. What makes this a huge scandal (Because all parties said they would) is that, like watergate, it was the cover up.

Carey Price, goalie for the Montreal Canadians (AKA Les Habs) turned in a kickass preformance in game one.

A thing happened twice

I’m gonna round this out with this nightmare for you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Suddenly Tinsley has legitimate complaints about our education system...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure the "Eat poo poo losers, you're hosed for life :tinsley:" commencement speech was a big hit.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Suddenly Tinsley has legitimate complaints about our education system...

The complaint itself is legitimate but you just know he thinks college costs too much because Professor Mortarboard wastes everyone's tuition on frivolous things like majors with the word "studies" in them.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

People who harp on Benghazi are the worst of the Nazi's and force the administration into a dehumanized, desperate and tragic state. They are history's ultimate villain.

(Seriously though Lester, think through your stuff a little more.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I love how this isn't saying we should do something about student loans. It's saying that people that go to college can get hosed.

Basically, this comic is a lovely version of the recent Kelly.

Now with DbD, I hate that I know as much as I do about this comic strip (why do I fill my head with this poo poo), but where are Sam/Skye's parents in this?

I feel like we need a DbD family tree. Don Portago is Jan's father. Jan is married to Damon. Jan is friends with Sam and Skye. Sam is married to Muiry Sue. Sam/Skye's mother and father are where in this picture. We've seen her mother before, but have we seen her father?

Also, Sam is supposed to be half-Japanese/half-Irish. Is Skye supposed to be the same? Because they look nothing alike.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wait, Stalag has a meaning?

*checks Wikipedia*

... Welp, I might have to change my D&D character name. I need to ask the rest of the people in my group if they knew what it meant.

(I just thought it'd be a cool name for a Minotaur with earthy powers)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

This drunkass duck is suddenly making tons of sense. Stop it, Tinsley :argh:

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Mehuyael posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

... Welp, I might have to change my D&D character name. I need to ask the rest of the people in my group if they knew what it meant.

A bunch of people probably think you're a Nazi.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can see where you're coming from (stalagmite), but, yeah. Not a classy pick, dude, sorry.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

This is why you should always, always google names you make up before you use them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

viscous wolves posted:

This is why you should always, always google names you make up before you use them.

Might want to check that family crest too if it has anything about the virtues of work freeing the soul.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The complaint itself is legitimate but you just know he thinks college costs too much because Professor Mortarboard wastes everyone's tuition on frivolous things like majors with the word "studies" in them.

He's talking about law school, not college. It's a continuation from his strip yesterday. Law school is a scam.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hey guys this is my character, his name is "Ironblood RuneValkyrie" pretty sweet huh?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The name is ironic!
:goonsay:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically inviting Mallard Fillmore to be a graduation speaker is about as bad an idea as hiring him to be a news anchor.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

loquacius posted:

Basically inviting Mallard Fillmore to be a graduation speaker is about as bad an idea as hiring him to be a news anchor.

Mallard Fillmore got hired due to Affirmative Action, not due to any ability. (Actual in-universe explaination)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Randler posted:

Mallard Fillmore got hired due to Affirmative Action, not due to any ability. (Actual in-universe explaination)

Coincidentally, that's also why Mallard Fillmore continues to be printed in newspapers! If Tinsley had any talent, I'd suggest the connection was deliberate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mehuyael posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

Rename him to Ben Ghazi.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I saw this and couldn't get Ministry's Thieves out of my head. Here, bonus fun for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCZhQX_Fm0 (NWS, probably)

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Mehuyael posted:

*checks Wikipedia*

Stalag 17 is an amazing movie and everybody should watch it, including Mike Lester since the person getting thrown out in the movie is literally a Nazi.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I saw this and couldn't get Ministry's Thieves out of my head. Here, bonus fun for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCZhQX_Fm0 (NWS, probably)

Sigh. I'm so old but I still love this goddamn song.
Edit: It's over a quarter century old...

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 3, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Strange, I am German and wouldn't have known about "Stalag" being a word. Also don't know about the movie.

Seems Lester is more educated than me welp

(actually, I know what "Stammlager" means, just not that it had a commonly used abbreviation)

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

Strange, I am German and wouldn't have known about "Stalag" being a word. Also don't know about the movie.

Seems Lester is more educated than me welp

(actually, I know what "Stammlager" means, just not that it had a commonly used abbreviation)

I'm going to reinforce this a bit: watch Stalag 17. It's a great movie/play with stupendous acting, writing, direction, and cinematography, and it's a vital link in understanding how modern movies are constructed. It's also funny and charming and very accessible for a 60-year-old film. Here, it's on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKc2GJk2OLQ

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Heh. quote != Edit

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spoeank posted:

This drunkass duck is suddenly making tons of sense. Stop it, Tinsley :argh:

Maybe I'm cynical but I read that as "you are stupid for going to college. Look at you, nowhere to go but further in debt."

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Turns out, the rabbit-shaped silhouette in the last strip is actually, dun dun dun, the strip's prominent rabbit character, who'd have guessed.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:golfclap:

Is it a bad pun? Maybe, but this is perfect. And ballsy, isn't The Official Opinion now that saying Israel is practicing apartheid is anti-Semitic?

Speaking of apartheid, oh boy oh boy!!! (Should I make a banner for these, like Jerm Is Truly Outrageous, Truly Truly Outrageous?)

First one is I'M DRUNK AND SO GODDAMN LAZY.

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

Again, I suspect these are culturally acceptable in that region. If he really were a white rule holdout all of this comics would probably look like this:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Post 9-11 User posted:

Is it a bad pun? Maybe, but this is perfect. And ballsy, isn't The Official Opinion now that saying Israel is practicing apartheid is anti-Semitic?

Lukovich is probably Jewish (and has a Jewish-sounding last name), which helps a lot for avoiding charges of anti-Semitism. When you're a diaspora Jew, you get a lot more freedom to trash-talk Israel's policies and actions without having to worry about people calling you anti-Semitic. And if they do call you anti-Semitic, you can make them look stupid for it. The best they can really do is call you a self-hating Jew, and even that doesn't work if you maintain a pretty strong Jewish identity. As a Jew I feel like I have extra responsibility to speak up about Israel because of this.

This is also why the anti-Palestine/pro-Zionist lobby in the US probably does not want a Jewish president.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

If only Greg Parker's team was still around, they never would have let this happen :canada:

Rorus Raz posted:

The name is ironic!
:goonsay:

No it's my heritage!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

:golfclap:

Speaking of apartheid, oh boy oh boy!!! (Should I make a banner for these, like Jerm Is Truly Outrageous, Truly Truly Outrageous?)

First one is I'M DRUNK AND SO GODDAMN LAZY.

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought these were Lester's at first glance.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought these were Lester's at first glance.

You're not.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know which is more terrifying, that one of the two saw the other's style and thought "I should copy that!" or that there are two people who independently came up with Lester-style art in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

• Locked thread