Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have all the unlocks for the vehicles and some of them sound really cool. Question is how would that work, do I have to spawn in a fresh one to get the unlocks, or whenever I spawn in an active one will I /everyone else get the unlocks?

I'd love to share them with other people in my squad but not sure if that's the case. Also no one ever uses mic chat which bothers me to no end as I love going around in tanks and when an engineer jumps out to repair it and buddy keeps driving I wish there was more communication.

I also don't get why squads don't stick together. I had one squad sniping from halfway the map while the other half tried to lone wolf the game.

All in all though I'm loving this game. It's just so grandiose and full of life. Having a small firefight then a loving plane crash lands while the rain starts pouring and a building collapses is goddamn epic.

When you enter the drivers seat of a vehicle, your setup is immediately applied to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Dvsilverwing posted:

When you enter the drivers seat of a vehicle, your setup is immediately applied to it.

I have to be the first person in it, right? Also, does everyone else get what I have too? Or just me?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I love manning the MG on a tank and repairing it mid-battle for some insane adrenaline boost, but most people park their tank in the middle of the open and never move when getting hit :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ahaha never play on WCK servers

I got banned for "admin disrespect" after saying that no, I wasn't trashtalking anyone, and applied to their forum to appeal it

and my account got denied by the same guy who banned me:

edit: applied to platoon as atomicthumbs1

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 3, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

fknlo posted:

If you're in a vehicle and playing at all smart, it's really easy to go at least 10:1 provided the other team isn't all engies with Javelins. I'm not some great player by any stretch of the imagination, but 20+ kill streaks are fairly easily doable in vehicles. I think my best is 37-0 in the MAA.
I remember playing TF2 and trying to coordinate, with voice chat, "shoot this turret at the same time as me." It took no less than 3 minutes for that to actually happen. Trying to get other engineers on a public server to focus-fire a vehicle is second in futility only to getting an ammo box to repeat the process.

A tank with a repair slave against that is basically invincible.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 3, 2014

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I have to be the first person in it, right? Also, does everyone else get what I have too? Or just me?

No, as long as you are in the drivers seat your loadout is applied. Also, you're the one manning everything is it doesn't matter to any passengers, really.

atomicthumbs posted:

ahaha never play on WCK servers

I got banned for "admin disrespect" after saying that no, I wasn't trashtalking anyone, and applied to their forum to appeal it

and my account got denied by the same guy who banned me:

edit: applied to platoon as atomicthumbs1

WCK is garbo, it's only there to dick around and get kicked on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No, everybody gets what they have picked for vehicles, in whatever seat they're in. What other people in the vehicle have for their loadout is only relevant to them.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

No, everybody gets what they have picked for vehicles, in whatever seat they're in. What other people in the vehicle have for their loadout is only relevant to them.

Thanks for the help from all you guys. Good to know

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think that one of the things Dice nailed in BF4 is the 'no guilt' quit option. It's easy, straightforward and effective.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Seven vehicle horns make a wonderful harmony. Sound the horn of goondor!

Fannyn
Feb 5, 2014

Dvsilverwing posted:

No, as long as you are in the drivers seat your loadout is applied. Also, you're the one manning everything is it doesn't matter to any passengers, really.

WCK is garbo, it's only there to dick around and get kicked on.

I've only played on their servers a few times and it's never a good experience.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

(BF4 exploded everywhere, while running fullscreen)

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 4, 2014

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks to whoever recommended the Scar-H earlier, this thing is a death laser. Between it and the Engie SMGs I've been experimenting with, it's like I've found my treasured Baur and Turcotte again :3:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I can't read a lick of this.

e. maybe the NO TEAM STACKING part, but nothing else

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So um, how large are the maps compared to BF 2? Are they still clearly maps designed for 32 players max?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So um, how large are the maps compared to BF 2? Are they still clearly maps designed for 32 players max?

They are for the most part designed for 64. Much smaller than BF2 maps but the BF2 maps were loving excessive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

but the BF2 maps were loving excessive.

those are fighting words... are they at least larger than BF 3?

so with the DLC schedule ending this fall does that mean Battlefield 5 is coming out this year or will EA stick with a 2 year cycle?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Most of are sized better but there's still a few that are basically capture points surrounded by a whole lot of nothing. Great if you're in a vehicle, not so much for infantry or light vehicles. Kharg Island in BF3 may not have been the most popular map but, outside of the Aftermath maps which were excellent, I'd call it one of the better maps and BF4 could use most like it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

No, not dying once and getting over two dozen kills in one life is not common at all no matter who you are. Reasonably common? What :confused:

PittTheElder posted:

If you play conservatively in a vehicle. Obviously if you're infantry or playing objectives its never going to happen. I routinely see scout chopper pilots go something like 60-2 on certain maps, or jet pilots go 40-1, seeing them go zero deaths isn't the norm, but it happens more than you'd think.

Just to show that I'm not just talking out of my rear end, this happened in one of the five or so rounds I played tonight. ItsApocalypseNow was in the stealth jet, affixqc was in the scout chopper.

Air vehicles are broken as poo poo.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So what's the easiest way to get 20 vehicle destroys with a land vehicle to finish this drat assignment, vehicle guys?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MBTs. It is literally a vehicle designed to kill other vehicles.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Speaking of MBT's what is up with the staff shells?

The overhead burst thing seems to work on a "when it feels like it basis" and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have only tried it out in the test area so far if that matters.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dillbag posted:

I can't read a lick of this.

e. maybe the NO TEAM STACKING part, but nothing else

The text isn't important. My game exploded all over the screen, that's not some kind of edit -- it's a raw screenshot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Richard Bong posted:

Speaking of MBT's what is up with the staff shells?

The overhead burst thing seems to work on a "when it feels like it basis" and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have only tried it out in the test area so far if that matters.

I rarely use it, but I've never noticed at reason to it either. I basically treat it as a LAW attached to a tank, not for its apparent ability to get a critical hit.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

Just to show that I'm not just talking out of my rear end, this happened in one of the five or so rounds I played tonight. ItsApocalypseNow was in the stealth jet, affixqc was in the scout chopper.

Air vehicles are broken as poo poo.

I see plenty of guys like this: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/455065566757915008/234159318/ that go 94-1 as infantry and constantly put up similar high scores (and judging from his last played games, does it more frequently then the 1 in 5 figure you gave for the two pilots), but I don't think anything about that is broken.

You're always going to have that small percentage of people that do very well regardless of the circumstances, no point in getting pissed about it.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 4, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

MBTs. It is literally a vehicle designed to kill other vehicles.

Somebody here isn't part of the HMG master race, SNIPING SNIPERS, LOCKING DOWN APPROACHES, GRINDING LIGHT VEHICLES DOWN IN BETWEEN SHOTS.
All of this and more is the daily MO of an HMG tank. :clint:

But yeah gently caress staff shell, it's literally on level with active radar missiles in terms of "what were you thinking dice". It's a hard counter to Jihad jeeps, has insane lock on distance where no hill or corner will save you unless you go excessively far behind it. This combined with people who use Sabots and just hide in base would make Micheal Wittman spin in his grave. Their model for Tank warfare in BF3 was really fun, and guided shell was a great teamwork reward against helo's and just to switch all that up is... dumb. I will mention I stopped playing at B2K, so I'm lacking experience from AK.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Someguy posted:

I see plenty of guys like this: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/455065566757915008/234159318/ that go 94-1 as infantry and constantly put up similar high scores (and judging from his last played games, does it more frequently then the 1 in 5 figure you gave for the two pilots), but I don't think anything about that is broken.

You're always going to have that small percentage of people that do very well regardless of the circumstances, no point in getting pissed about it.

It helps that infantrymen can get a revive to avoid the death count, but getting a score like that, even over the course of an hour is pretty insane.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Samuel posted:

Somebody here isn't part of the HMG master race, SNIPING SNIPERS, LOCKING DOWN APPROACHES, GRINDING LIGHT VEHICLES DOWN IN BETWEEN SHOTS.
All of this and more is the daily MO of an HMG tank. :clint:

But yeah gently caress staff shell, it's literally on level with active radar missiles in terms of "what were you thinking dice". It's a hard counter to Jihad jeeps, has insane lock on distance where no hill or corner will save you unless you go excessively far behind it. This combined with people who use Sabots and just hide in base would make Micheal Wittman spin in his grave. Their model for Tank warfare in BF3 was really fun, and guided shell was a great teamwork reward against helo's and just to switch all that up is... dumb. I will mention I stopped playing at B2K, so I'm lacking experience from AK.

Someone haven't experienced the joy that is the Canister Shell+Thermal

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I went back to cannister on the LAV but it's poo poo now I think it's been nerfed at some point since I remember doing Rush with it and annihilating people, I'll give cannister a try but I'll swear not to enjoy it!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Bohemian Nights posted:

It helps that infantrymen can get a revive to avoid the death count, but getting a score like that, even over the course of an hour is pretty insane.

Looks like it was shooting all in one direction. In the comments, someone pointed out that he didn't get a single flag defence or capture ribbon. He replied that there were not really flags to contest as the enemy never made it past the C flag.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Samuel posted:

I went back to cannister on the LAV but it's poo poo now I think it's been nerfed at some point since I remember doing Rush with it and annihilating people, I'll give cannister a try but I'll swear not to enjoy it!

It's actually been buffed but Sandweed was talking about the MBT canister shell, specifically. I don't think the IFV's canister shell was buffed as much as the MBT's, for obvious reasons, but it was definitely made better than previously.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Looks like it was shooting all in one direction. In the comments, someone pointed out that he didn't get a single flag defence or capture ribbon. He replied that there were not really flags to contest as the enemy never made it past the C flag.

In other words, it's really easy to put up a ridiculous kdr when you're pretty talented, you don't have to worry about being shot in the back, and you have teammates reviving you.

edit: And it really helps when one of your squad mates records 31 revives that same round (with plenty going to you, most likely).

Shoren fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 4, 2014

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

It's actually been buffed but Sandweed was talking about the MBT canister shell, specifically. I don't think the IFV's canister shell was buffed as much as the MBT's, for obvious reasons, but it was definitely made better than previously.

Is there any reason to not use HE or APFSTP for the IFV? The canister doesn't spread well nor does it do splash damage, it also sucks balls for engaging armor. I dint my self using the splash really often to get the guy just around the corner and etc.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

Is there any reason to not use HE or APFSTP for the IFV? The canister doesn't spread well nor does it do splash damage, it also sucks balls for engaging armor. I dint my self using the splash really often to get the guy just around the corner and etc.

Sabot's on the LAV are the best, small splash, quick travel, good damage, great for headshotting infantry with and annoying low flying helo's.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Someguy posted:

That's a 2000 ticket server though, compared to the one I posted (Pure Battlefield for the record) which is the standard 800.

And it's true, I've certainly seen infantry tear it up and pull 50+ kills, mostly on Guilin Peaks. But those really lopsided air vehicle kill numbers happen consistently, which is what tells you they're broken.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Shoren posted:

In other words, it's really easy to put up a ridiculous kdr when you're pretty talented, you don't have to worry about being shot in the back, and you have teammates reviving you.

edit: And it really helps when one of your squad mates records 31 revives that same round (with plenty going to you, most likely).

Another squadmate had 36 revives as well. So there were 67 revives in a 4 man squad. I'd think the forumula would be to play with a largely assault squad and stay in an enclosed area where you don't have to worry about being mowed down by vehicles.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

But those really lopsided air vehicle kill numbers happen consistently, which is what tells you they're broken.

In a world where people keep insisting that K/D ratio doesn't matter, what's the problem with a good jet pilot getting a consistently good K/D?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Stealth jets are killing other air vehicles and being scavengers on the ground. As long as you can out-dogfight the other planes, you usually don't have much to worry about(except for scout choppers with miniguns filled with engineers with stingers). But you also have limited targets, as your cannon is really only good against aircraft and the laser guided missiles won't kill anything by themselves, except for things like jeeps. Fully loaded Rhibs will push up your K/D though.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Chronojam posted:

The text isn't important. My game exploded all over the screen, that's not some kind of edit -- it's a raw screenshot.

Jesus, never seen anything like that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Over the last couple days I've been out there purposefully trolling servers trying to get video for something I'm doing soon. In the process I discovered EODdy makes Metro fun.

• Locked thread