Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Aurain posted:

I thought the door Sam and Gilly go through would only open for a man of the Nights Watch or some poo poo because it's magical. Like a weirwood stops you going through unless you repeat your vows.

And I suppose the tree knows if you're a traitor in case someone like Mance rolled up and talked at it. Maybe its just a flimsy as hell plot device and not much more than that.

People can see through weirwood poo poo and it's also like a video camera through time, start eating birthday cake hamburgers or whatever the gently caress and get on the authors level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Weren't orcs magically corrupted elves? I thought in tolkeins world, evil couldn't create, only destroy. So no orc cradles.

Well, in the movies, it said Saruman "bred orcs and goblin men" to create the Uruk-hai, although it would be better described as sorcerous creation and not standard heteronormative breeding.

Dunno what the books said, this isn't the thread for dead-tree adaptations :colbert:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is GRRM more depressed and angry that HBO will finish his life's work fantasy series before him, or that Tamsin Merchant's new TV show is on a network that doesn't allow full frontal nudity?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I still wish we'd gotten to keep Tamzin as Dany. She's weird-looking, but at least she's distinctive. Emilia Clarke is pretty in the blandest way possible.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Nevar disparrage my Kleese, m'lady!

Also, at least Tolkien had the decency to contain all his sperging in a side book that people weren't actually supposed to read.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Tolkien was pretty inconsistent on this stuff because it really doesn't loving matter for the story he was telling. The fact that GRRM spends days, months and possibly years sperging over dumb poo poo like this is why this is called the bad thread and not the wow that was a good trilogy thread.

Tolkien kept reworking every bit of the lore up to his death, and was apparently quite worried at the moral dilemma he had created with the Orcs. He didn't actually find a solution before he died.

:goonsay:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

SaviourX posted:

I missed it earlier, but here's the Rolling Stone interview with Grum, which is actually pretty decent.

And even though he could have written a page a day and finished a book since Dance, that old gently caress still has a touch of the goon (or is it that we have a touch of the George? is he in us or us in him?).

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423

He says maybe its all the fans fault that he writes so slow. :psyduck:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SaviourX posted:

(or is it that we have a touch of the George? is he in us or us in him?).

We may be the abyss that stares back.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We may be the abyss that stares back.

The Bad Thread is goatse

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Rosscifer posted:

I found that snippet quite hilarious. You are worried more people are going to read the books so you are going to go slower to make sure it is perfect?

Isn't that what happened with Dance of Dragons? And look at what a royal Khaleesi turd that turned out to be. Yeah take your time, George...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Please put any mentions of moral dilemma's involving orcs behind spoiler tags please, my eyes just rolled so hard I think I sprained them. I am at the doctors office right now.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rosscifer posted:

Reading his interviews and his work, reminds me of Prince of Nothing.. "THEY MAKE US LOVE!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
10 hours for an interview and it ended up sucking? Let no man question whether this is truly part of the ASOIAF canon.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tolkien kept reworking every bit of the lore up to his death, and was apparently quite worried at the moral dilemma he had created with the Orcs. He didn't actually find a solution before he died.

:goonsay:

I actually enjoy reading JRRT's drafts. It's really spiffy seeing how far apart the original versions were compared to the last editions. No way in hell would I ever dream of reading GURM's drafts.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

I actually enjoy reading JRRT's drafts. It's really spiffy seeing how far apart the original versions were compared to the last editions. No way in hell would I ever dream of reading GURM's drafts.

I'd read em, I'd just have to find a thirty year old computer first.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You're already reading his drafts.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Better than smelling his drafts

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Shoehead posted:

Better than smelling his drafts

Winds are words.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You laugh, but GRRM is actually one of the few persons on earth capable of typing with farts.

Incidentally, that is how all Dany scenes happened

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I couldn't handle reading tolkien's drafts, or finished works. zzz

i'd rather boot up the apple 2e and read gurm's

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What would you let Gurm do to your body, if you'd get to read a new GoT book?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nothing. gently caress that guy, I'll wait!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I'd gently caress that guy, I'll wait for nothing!

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Hogge Wild posted:

Nothing. At this point, I'm sure the show will do a better job of finishing the story.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

I would let him punch me in the stomach as hard as he can, but then I would hop out of the way at the last second so he miss and say your punches are like your writing old man; tooo slowwww!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Jeffrey posted:

I couldn't handle reading tolkien's drafts, or finished works. zzz

i'd rather boot up the apple 2e and read gurm's

Yeah, I hate beautiful works on literary art by possibly one of the best storytellers and talented linguists that ever lived who crafted every sentence in his epic stories to perfection as well. So boring, so 20th century.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hogge Wild posted:

I'll let my fist slam into his dick if he lets the show writers and Brandon Sanderson finish the series.

Actually I'd let that happen regardless, but if the ideal end result of the series was a perk that'd be cool.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

I'll let my fist slam into his dick if he lets the show writers and Brandon Sanderson finish the series.

Actually I'd let that happen regardless, but if the ideal end result of the series was a perk that'd be cool.
Just make sure you have immediate access to a lot of hand sanitizer.

OhYeah posted:

Yeah, I hate beautiful works on literary art by possibly one of the best storytellers and talented linguists that ever lived who crafted every sentence in his epic stories to perfection as well. So boring, so 20th century.
Why settle for boring vanilla Tolkien when you can read the American Tolkien?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

OhYeah posted:

Easy there champ nobody said anything about hate.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mother gently caress that Mormon blandist fuckin Sanderson, and that goony gently caress Rohtfuss while we're at it, fantasy authors are all poo poo, period, end of story, Jeeeesus.

quote:

who crafted every sentence in his epic stories to perfection as well.

The British Tolkien posted:

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've said it before, but Sanderson is a good structural or conceptual writer. The Mistborn stuff has a lot of really solid and thought-out things going on. But his weakness is characters, and unfortunately ASoIaF's strength is characters. It's a pretty poorly thought-out series, but it's brimming with great characters.

Sanderson would actually be a really loving awful writer to helm this series, unless you paired him with someone who was a good character writer. Maybe BranSan should just pair up with the GRRM himself to get this poo poo out the door.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sanderson would actually be a really loving awful writer to helm this series, unless you paired him with someone who was a good character writer. Maybe BranSan should just pair up with the GRRM himself to get this poo poo out the door.

There's also the fact that he's stated that he stopped reading the series after the first book due to it being too dark for his tastes.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

thark posted:

There's also the fact that he's stated that he stopped reading the series after the first book due to it being too dark for his tastes.
What a loving pussy.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

thark posted:

But there's only like one Summer Islander in the whole first book :notch:

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
He heard about the Dornish coming up and welp,

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Isn't Brandon Sanderson the hardcore Mormon who (rightly so) caught a bunch of poo poo for being vocally against marriage equality?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

alg posted:

Isn't Brandon Sanderson the hardcore Mormon who (rightly so) caught a bunch of poo poo for being vocally against marriage equality?

You may be thinking of Orson Scott Card, although I would not rule out the possibility that there are two rabidly homophobic fantasy authors running around out there.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Kylaer posted:

But there's only like one Summer Islander in the whole first book :notch:

One drop rule.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Aston posted:

You may be thinking of Orson Scott Card, although I would not rule out the possibility that there are two rabidly homophobic fantasy authors running around out there.

Nah Sanderson wrote a whole thing about it too, though it was as accepting and gentlemanly as is probably possible for someone with his religious views to be. Which really wasn't very accepting at all.

Edit: Also Sanderson wouldn't be down with writing any of the myrish swamp or fat pink mast stuff, and if that poo poo isn't in there, really what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sanderson would actually be a really loving awful writer to helm this series

/agree

I'd want Bakker or Abercrombie to do it. Bakker knows the value of a good raping, and is dark enough. but he definitely rambles on the philosophy. Abercrombie does characters well, knows how to make them morally ambiguous, and can kill them off. I doubt he could write about food though. or sex.

I dunno those are the only writers I have read lately.