Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I do hope Yuber will eventually live up to the hype, so far he seems like a chump, considering what he's suppossed to be capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

This is perfect- she really is just at a center of constant "stuff is happening" at this point.

Also, about the Ghost Holly- I think it was casting Earthquake. I'm pretty sure I remember it firing one off once before I could kill it, but it didn't do much damage anyway.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I'm surprised there's not a thousand posts in here talking about the news: Suikoden 2 is apparently coming to the PSN Store as part of PSN Classics.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Raitzeno posted:

I'm surprised there's not a thousand posts in here talking about the news: Suikoden 2 is apparently coming to the PSN Store as part of PSN Classics.

Oh, did it get confirmed? Last I checked it was at "probably" status. Which is a helluva lot better than it was for the past whatever years, but still. I think I worked out most of my excitement this morning, when passing the news along to friends who are fans of the series. Feel free to discuss your thoughts here, though, guys! :haw:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder what the reactions to Yuber would be like if he appeared in his giant black armor.

I can't decide if they would think he was scarier or just looked plain silly traipsing through an overgrown, magical forest in all that mess. Getting his spikes caught on tree branches and shrubs. Actually, I might draw that.

Yeah, somehow I'm leaning towards the latter. The subtly-inhuman vibe works better for him I think.

Alacron posted:

Not even Sgt. Joe brings it up. :psyduck:

At least he had the sense to bring up Zepon's death?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Their icon-symbol, by the way, is that of the Circle Rune.

Am I the only one who

loving hell something awful what have you done to me

quote:

And either disappears out the same barrier-hole he came in through or teleports. Really, I'm not sure. I guess teleporting is something he can do even without Sarah's help?

Yeah, he's always been able to do that. He probably just hitches rides with Sarah because :effort:.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think Lucretia must be partly Alma Kinan.
It's the only explanation for her loving annoying cryptics and precognition, teehee.

Making you believe that is all part of her glorious strategy.

Teehee.

Raitzeno posted:

But I already own Suikoden 2.

yokaiy posted:

Actually, I might draw that.

you totally should

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vilkacis posted:

You don't own it enough.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Suikoden 1 on the store too?

And are these direct ports complete with the terrible translation glitches and poo poo?

Anyway, Yuber is loving terrifying as an opponent and the screenshots don't do him justice.

Remember how Twaikin trivialized all of Thomas' battles because of his shield defense? Yuber gives zero fucks about such things and will crit right through them. His magic defense is high enough that the only real way to bring him down quickly is via physical attacking, and it's a gamble whether your attack will connect--or if he'll parry and riposte you to death. He's one of the few opponents in this game that you can't really "gear up/skill up" for since there's such a huge variance in crits/random damage/ability to connect with an attack.

So yes, he's presented in-game every bit as dangerous as I think he should be. Feels like he's cheating usually, even.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

FairGame posted:

Is Suikoden 1 on the store too?

And are these direct ports complete with the terrible translation glitches and poo poo?

Anyway, Yuber is loving terrifying as an opponent and the screenshots don't do him justice.

Remember how Twaikin trivialized all of Thomas' battles because of his shield defense? Yuber gives zero fucks about such things and will crit right through them. His magic defense is high enough that the only real way to bring him down quickly is via physical attacking, and it's a gamble whether your attack will connect--or if he'll parry and riposte you to death. He's one of the few opponents in this game that you can't really "gear up/skill up" for since there's such a huge variance in crits/random damage/ability to connect with an attack.

So yes, he's presented in-game every bit as dangerous as I think he should be. Feels like he's cheating usually, even.

Suikoden I has been in the store for a long time. Supposedly Suikoden II was harder to port over because of bugs or something.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

FairGame posted:

Yuber is cheating. He's got a True Rune, he is the epitome of cheating. He's also the only person who's got one aside from Iroh so far. I guess the Star Dragon Sword too, actually; it's got itself.

As far as Yuber fights go, this one was one of the easiest since I think you do have to actually win it. Most of them are harder because losing doesn't get you a game over so the devs could get away with ramping up difficulty there.

But yes, he's generally not an easy opponent, especially because the magical nuke option doesn't work against him. His crits are frequent and a problem -- Rico healed herself up back to full HP in that fight and still got knocked out in one attack, so the potential for "whoops, you're dead" moments is pretty high. And if you think he's easy to hit, please refer to the miss-montage from Hugo 2, because he is not, though Chris' party is definitely more accurate than Hugo's was at the time.

He'll beef up before we see him again, though, so you can see him and his companions being just as terrifying as advertized next time.

I also didn't include as many shots as I could have since I was already stuffing a lot into this update so that I can wrap up the chapter next time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yuber loves toying around with people.
And I think it might've been hinted somewhere that He isn't here all too willingly.

You never really get a full taste of the Eightfold Rune though, in or out of cutscene.
(Now Im talking Beast/Sun Rune style scenario where it just goes 'you all die now')

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Suikoden I has been in the store for a long time. Supposedly Suikoden II was harder to port over because of bugs or something.

I can only guess, but Sony (or Konami themselves I suppose, assuming they care about saving face on such an old and inactive property) may have been wary of tossing Suikoden II onto PSN as-is considering the nature of some of those bugs. Untranslated text, misattributed dialogue, entire areas accessible to the player when they shouldn't be, audio glitches... it's kind of a mess.

But whatever, I'll take it in whatever form it comes in, fixed or not. Hell, part of me won't feel right unless Sonya Cat and the Matilda gate trick are both ported intact. Those bugs are canonical, drat it!

mageofthesands
Jan 2, 2013
I've usually found that Fred is a beast in that Scenario Battle. He's really, really good with that shield!

What is up with Yuri's hair cut? What is that thing on the side?

I once grinded Chris to level 99. It is so satisfying to turn the Chisha battle from "Try to survive the onslaught!" to "Let's see if we can kill Dios before Sasarai shows up!" Actually, it's a lot fun to take Super Chris around, wrecking plot with a glance.

I am going to agree. Yubar is scarier in his man in black outfit. He's also a lot more stylish. Big doom knight in black armor with spikes? Dime a dozen. Guy in an outfit that is clearly anachronistic and able to materialize swords with a flick of a wrist? Well, that's new.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

So do I, but I like the option to be able to play it on a portable. Besides, now EVERYONE can experience Suiko-love Supreme without having to take out a mortgage to pick up a used copy.

Delsaber posted:

I can only guess, but Sony (or Konami themselves I suppose, assuming they care about saving face on such an old and inactive property) may have been wary of tossing Suikoden II onto PSN as-is considering the nature of some of those bugs. Untranslated text, misattributed dialogue, entire areas accessible to the player when they shouldn't be, audio glitches... it's kind of a mess.

But whatever, I'll take it in whatever form it comes in, fixed or not. Hell, part of me won't feel right unless Sonya Cat and the Matilda gate trick are both ported intact. Those bugs are canonical, drat it!

I don't think they're allowed to change anything for a port (which has caused some problems for other games; Breath of Fire 3 couldn't get a PSN release because they couldn't keep it as-is, due to sprite-based nudity and a non-approved homage to Ultraman). And if they could, the Matilda glitch would be the first thing they fixed. Hell, I think it was the ONLY thing they fixed in the Japan-only PSP port of S1&2. Can't recall if we've mentioned that in this thread, but yes, that was a thing, and it was HORRIBLE, even more of a mess than the original version. Seriously, read Suikosource's write-up. http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/indepth/psp.php

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Delsaber posted:

This will never not be canon.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
The Matilda glitch is one of those really fun ones, that the PSP version removed it always disappointed me. although likely that's not the one being released now anyway so moot point I guess.

So we saw a new PC. Yuiri's pretty good. Uniquely among archers, she gets both Sharpshoot and Heavy Damage, giving her quite a respectable physical. She comes packing a Wind Rune and has the affinity to make it work, so overall kinda a red mage type. She's also got a serious flaw though, which will be pretty obvious as we go forward.

For the life of me I don't remember the Major Victory condition of this map. I know I've cleared it before (because I've done the Chris L99 thing) but dunno if that constituted a Major Victory or not. For the most part if you do want to do some damage here, you've got to leave a unit with just the leader so you have a full unit to attack with, but even then unless you've been doing a lot of exploring and skill grinding, the team members Chris has right now are hard pressed to fight off Dios' unit. After all, aside from Chris herself, we've basically only had these guys since the chapter began!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

You don't own it enough.

Lies, I own all the Suikoden 2.

Bufuman posted:

Breath of Fire 3 couldn't get a PSN release because they couldn't keep it as-is, due to sprite-based nudity

:ughh:

Oh no, you can see everything! :byodood:

quote:

and a non-approved homage to Ultraman

I'm intrigued.

quote:

Seriously, read Suikosource's write-up. http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/indepth/psp.php

Some of those are pretty dumb, but catching up to Chaco and the cat was already possible in the PSX versions. You can catch the cat even without a holy rune once you know you have a use for it. I don't blame them for not making it interactable before that though - why would you pick up a random cat and put it in your inventory? (Chaco, on the other hand...)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

vilkacis posted:

:ughh:

Oh no, you can see everything! :byodood:

Didn't Xenogears have basically the same kind of sprite "nudity" going on at some point? That one seemed to make it onto PSN without any problems.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Delsaber posted:

Didn't Xenogears have basically the same kind of sprite "nudity" going on at some point? That one seemed to make it onto PSN without any problems.

Xenogears has non-sprite nudity too; you totally get Fei and Elly rear end in the ending movie.

And yeah, there's sprite nudity somewhere in there as well. Maybe whoever looked at it didn't feel like playing through 35 hours or however long it takes for the first iteration of it to show up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mageofthesands posted:

I've usually found that Fred is a beast in that Scenario Battle. He's really, really good with that shield!

I once grinded Chris to level 99. It is so satisfying to turn the Chisha battle from "Try to survive the onslaught!" to "Let's see if we can kill Dios before Sasarai shows up!" Actually, it's a lot fun to take Super Chris around, wrecking plot with a glance.

I am going to agree. Yubar is scarier in his man in black outfit. He's also a lot more stylish. Big doom knight in black armor with spikes? Dime a dozen. Guy in an outfit that is clearly anachronistic and able to materialize swords with a flick of a wrist? Well, that's new.

Fred is actually one of three ways you can break Strategy Battles in half in this game. With maximum shield protect and armor protect, a Firefly rune on Twaikin/Fred/Mua will make all enemies ignore the rest of the unit and only attack the people who they can't really scratch, allowing you to roll the entire battlefield.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Am I the only one who's getting a serious Nick Cage Wicker Man vibe off of Alma Kinan? :tinfoil:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Turns out the answer to "How'd it get burned" is the True Fire Rune.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Chris does seem to be more of a plot trolley than anything else right now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cake Attack posted:

Turns out the answer to "How'd it get burned" is the True Fire Rune.

How long until Hugo puts on a bear costume and sucker-punches Chris? :allears:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chris Chapter 3.3 - Iroh Part 2

We rejoin Chris as she enters the final building in Alma Kinan, for her meeting with Yuiri and Yun.

They take a moment to settle down,

Before Chris makes a kinda nasty quip in response.

: "You are quite outspoken."

: "I'm sorry. I'm used to saying what's on my mind."

: "You aren't totally wrong. We are very committed to our duties, and sometimes this does require us to withdraw from the outside world."

: "Interesting... Then please tell me why we're here; about the destructive force we just encountered; the Water Rune Seal that he mentioned; and... about the Flame Champion."

Okay, someone better at English than me, is that proper use of ; because it seems really strange to me?

: "Yun."

: "... into the future."

And no one is surprised.

: "You're like a fortune teller?"

Except Fred.

: "You can think of it that way, if that helps you. There is one vision that has haunted me since my birth. This is the destruction of the true rune... and the resurrection of the Flame Champion."

They can be destroyed? Wait, which one is she talking about?

: "Yes, the power of the twenty-seven true runes which sustain the world."

Yun, why are you calm about this. This is kind of a Big Deal.

Chris, thank you for being upset about this. This is upsetting. Really, I feel like there should be more freaking out in this scene. True Runes created the world, and they are basically gods. I don't want to imagine what could go wrong with one getting destroyed, if it's actually possible.

: "A long time ago, there was a hero in the Grasslands. The Flame Champion, Iroh. We, the people of Alma Kinan, joined the battle under his leadership against the Harmonian army. During the second major battle, the Flame Champion, Iroh, and his followers, the Fire Bringer, were surrunded by the Harmonian forces..."

: "drat! If this continues, we're all finished!"

The flashback cuts.

: "The Fire Bringer, the Harmonian forces and the Grassland troops... were all engulfed in a firestorm and perished. They say the fire burned for ten days."

: "He did not speak of it, but the force behind it was the power of the true rune... It must have been a rune power out of control. Iroh repented for this horrible deed with took many lives of both ally an foe."

: "The true rune power out of control? If the true rune was destroyed..."

Boom.

Also, I would like to take this moment to address something that came up in the thread much earlier -- why I hate but also really appreciate the friendly fire aspect of fire runes. Yes, the rune is a danger to friend and foe alike, but that fits really well with how that family of runes is presented in this story. When Iroh lost control of the True Fire Rune, it incinerated everyone. Fire makes no distinction between sides, it only consumes and destroys.

: "Everyone could perish. From the Grasslands to Zexen, Holy Harmonia to Dunan, to the south and norther Outlands..."

Of course, that's specifically the True Fire Rune they're musing about. Yuber was asking about the True Water Rune, though. I assume that the results would still be destructive, but I'm thinking more along the lines of an eruption of eternal winter than an explosion of fire. That's assuming that this group is even after one of those ones, we really don't know which they want to destroy.

Chris grits her teeth.

: "..............."

: "That's nonsense..."

: "Why do you say that?"

: "It sounds like a fantasy to me."

She... actually has a really good point. Is there actually a positive to destroying a True Rune? There's no motive aside from being moustache-twirlingly evil, especially since the group probably wouldn't survive the blast. I don't think being True-Rune-Immortal would protect you from that much damage, it just keeps you from aging.

: "Then you don't believe me."

: "Zexen Knights don't fight for fantasy. We're bound by loyalty and reason."

I'm not typing all of those.

Also, I think this is the first time Yun has stopped smiling.

: "Sorry... Could you leave me along for a while? I need to think."

She stands and leaves.

Chris heads outside for some fresh air, and Nash follows to check up on her. We can run around the village if we want to, but there's not much to do until we talk to Nash.

: "Are you interested? Or have you have enough of the barbarian superstitions?"

: "You know something? I don't like you."

Nash shrugs, but looks a little hurt.

: "I can't help it."

: "I need more time..."

You know what she needs?

Somewhere quiet.

: "You, yes, as well as something else."

He walks over to her.

: "Why?"

: "So, what do you want to talk about?"

:allears: What a doofus.

: "Or any other day."

: "Oh, I don't know about that."

: "Don't start, Nash."

He pauses to put his serious pants on.

: "I am not comfortable with this."

: "Oh? Then why did you suggest the idea in the first place? You seemed to have known what was going to happen..."

: "To some extent, yes."

Nash.

Nash, you don't just tell people that you're working for their enemies.

Chris takes a step back and tenses up.

: "Holy Harmonia? Don't tell me... you're a spy from Harmonia?"

: "I'm afraid I am. The alleged reason for our current invasion is to eliminate the rest of the Fire Bringer band. But they think there's someone else pulling the strings, so to speak. It's my job to look into this. A secret mission directly from the bishop. I couldn't refuse."

: "And you think it's the destructive force they just mentioned?"

: "I didn't want to believe that. But it does seem to fit, doesn't it? On the brink of the cease fire, Zexen and the Grasslands rebounded with a full-scale battle. At the same time, the Holy Harmonian army invaded."

This is especially logical considering the political state of Harmonia. It hasn't been brought up yet, but basically the government is split into two factions while their leader, Hikusaak, has done absolutely nothing and, in fact, hasn't been seen for the last couple of centuries. Having this "destructive force" manipulating the country behind Hikusaak's back is not too far-fetched an idea.

It'd be especially telling if the invasion force was under one faction, and the blow-it-up team was under the other.

: "It all seems unreal to me... It has to be just a complication in the conflict between us and Grasslands. I only came to the Grasslands to find out about my father, with no other intention whatsoever."

Just then, Yun approaches.

: "I will tell you about your father. Will you listen to me?"

: "Of course I will!"

: "How do you know?"

: "There lived a hero, Iroh, the Flame Champion, in the Grasslands. He and his band of comrades were called 'the Fire Bringer.' "

: "Goodbye, my friends. Forgive me for not being able to go with you."

: "I'm sure our paths will cross again."

: "We've always trusted your decisions. We still do."

: "Hold it right there! The Flame Champion lived more than fifty years ago. If Chris's father was his close friend, he must be over... no, that can't be true."

80-something, actually, and yes.

: "What?"

: "Just as the Flame Champion was bearer of the True Fire Rune, your father was bearer of the True Water Rune. You see, the 27 True Runes that exist in this world are thought to be a part of a central force which moves the world. The bearers of the runes are said to be granted great power and immortality. The seal that hides the power of the rune and its whereabouts is in Alma Kinan."

On a hand, yup.

: "Most likely."

: "That's why the man told me to follow the Flame Champion."

: "I've told you everything that I know, Chris."

: "Thanks. Yun, are you..."

: "Pardon me, Chris?"

: "Never mind."

: "In that case, I will leave you now."

Well, that was informative.

Let's go pick up Fred and Rico, we sort of left them behind.

: "They seemed preoccupied with something else."

: "What shall we do? Shall we retire for the night?"

: "I think I need a little rest."

: "See, Master Fred? Everybody is exhausted! You're the only one who pretends not to be."

: "I'm not tired at all! My eyes are just... uh... droopy."

Haha.

Rico shakes her head.

: "Master Fred, we are leaving you behind."

That night...

The lady has problems with hearing things in her room at night, methinks. Not the first time.

A neat touch, the village has gotten more than just a lighting change outside. The berries on the bushes glow like stars. It's really cool.

Heading towards the square triggers a scene.

: "Getting ready for the ritual."

: "Ritual? What for?"

: "Ritual of soul-sending."

Yuiri is much more curt than usual. I wonder if she's upset by something? She hasn't so much as turned her head to face Chris yet.

: "Soul-sending?"

: "We offer a soul to the spirits in order to receive their blessings on the Grasslands."

: "Second to last?"

Oh.

: "You're not talking about Yun, are you?"

Yuiri lowers her head and hesitates for a beat.

: "Yes, of course. She is a special child. She lives for today. There's a destructive force which aims to destroy the true runes, and people who intend to obtain the Grasslands by taking advantage of the present turmoil. We need the blessings of the spirits to block them. Tonight, Yun will offer her soul to the spirits."

: "How could you sacrifice her life... just like that?!"

: "Do you not make sacrifices for Zexen?"

Yuiri finally turns to face her.

: "I... Is this why you brought us here, to witness this atrocity?"

Nash rushes to get between the two.

: "Is a 'lucky' rabbit's foot so lucky for the rabbit who lost it? drat this superstitious garbage!"

: "Please, can you come with me, Chris?"

: "Yun, remember, the ritual starts soon."

: "I know. I only want a brief moment to speak with Chris before the ritual. I won't be long."

: "Mind you, she is not from Alma Kinan."

: "Of course. Chris, please come this way."

Now that we're in cutscene-image-mode especially, this shrine is very pretty.

: "This is such a quiet evening. A perfect setting for the ritual."

: "Yun, do you know what you're getting into?"

: "Yun!"

: "This is my duty. Many people die without finishing, or even knowing their duties... I consider myself lucky. No regrets. In Alma Kinan, A girl whose soul is offered will become a spirit. My soul will live forever."

: "Still..."

: "How compassionate you are! I appreciate your concern more than you know. After all, you hardly know me."

: "So now can I ask you... Why did you bring me here? Was that one of your duties?"

: "I've had visions of today's events ever since I was little. Maybe that's why you feel like an old friend to me. I've always wanted to meet you. Of course there was the 'destructive force' to consider, but it wasn't just that."

: "What do you want me to do?"

: "You do not like expectations placed upon you by other people?"

: "..................."

: "I put all efforts as a Zexen Knight into combat. I only intend to defend my fellow men, the Zexen Knights and my country."

: "Was I born with these qualities? Why do my people love me as a hero? Was this my destiny? That has always bothered me. Maybe it is why I distanced myself from the Knights. Maybe I wanted to escape the role of a hero. But I still..."

"

: "Do whatever you feel is right. Trust your intuition. Just as I have my duties, you have yours. Wouldn't you be more upset if you had no purpose in life?"

: "But... I am..."

: "It is almost time. After the last ritual is complete, the seal of the Water will be released. Its power will be sought again. The power of the True Rune that has been suppressed by the seal will be released as well, and the whereabouts of the Flame Champion will be identified. Making use of his power could be the only way to save the Grasslands. I will leave it to you to make it so, Chris."

: "Yun."

Yun smiles.

: "It was nice to know you, Chris. You are a serious but kind person..."

: "Kind?"

: "So it is. Chris, Nash, Fred and Rico... Good-bye to you all... and to my sisters, Yuiri and Yumi. It is my time to go."

: "Yun..."

: "Y-Yun..."

: "This is not Zexen or Holy Harmonia. The Grasslanders have their own ways. Look how they curse us for cutting trees and burning grass to make way for 'stone piles.' "

: "To die by the sword is noble... but to give up your life freely?"

: "Not for us to say."

Aw, poo poo.

poo poo.

: "You! I saw you not too long ago!"

: "I told you I knew where the village was."

: "Why now?"

Really. Of all the times to get attacked.

Yumi and Yuiri force themselves into our party. You might notice that both my healers are in the same pair, which is a bad decision.

I didn't.

: "On guard!"

So, this fight is hard. Let me show you why.

Sarah likes to do this. She likes to do this first before anyone else gets a chance to move.

This is basically a death sentence for Fred and Rico, and everyone else'll be hurting pretty bad too.

She still has her mega heal.

It can now heal for a total of four digits.

She also picked up a fire rune somewhere. She's not as good with it so I've never managed to see her actually get off a cast, but honestly? I don't want to know. She can murder me with a healing rune; frankly, I don't want to see what she can do with something from the blow-up-the-Grasslands family of runes.

You'd think you want her dead first, but honestly, not always a good decision.

Because then there's this rear end in a top hat.

First, you'll notice that he is berserked. That happens when Sarah goes down. Surprisingly, the reverse is not true.

Second, you'll notice that he's picked up a shiny new rune. That, friends, is the Pale Gate Rune.

He has learned how to use it to throw a second breed of dragon at our party.

Yeah.

Oh, he's still got the first dragon too, in case he wants to do that, though he generally opts for the Pale Gate dragon instead.

Mask has also decided to take lessons on not being hit from Yuber.

He's also still got tornadoes.

Have I mentioned that this party isn't good against magic? I could really use Landis right about now.

Oh, but you didn't think that those two were the only ones that learned some new tricks, did you?

This is the Eight Devil Rune, a child of his True Rune. It's the closest we ever get in the series to seeing his Eightfold Rune.

It's also basically instant death for whoever he targets, no question asked.

He'll also just mop up after the magic attacks, but that's a given.

It took me quite a few tries to get this fight down, but I managed it finally after getting pretty lucky, so I'll show you how that went down. Because I am winning every fight for this LP still, dammit.

My biggest concern going in was magic super murdering me, so I decided to make use of Yumi's Earth Rune. It didn't actually end up making a difference, but the idea was sound. I used it on the Chris/Fred pair.

Sarah decided to waste her first turn healing, which was my first lucky break. Since she's the fastest caster on the field, no one had even managed to move yet, much less get injured.

Next lucky break, Nash managed to stop the Masked Man's casting, essentially buying us a turn. Also, that's a nice chunk of damage. Neither Mask nor Sarah are what I would call particularly hardy, so that's great for us.

This is the Vengeful Child cast in action. It gives Chris and Fred the "magic lost 1 turn" status effect (yeah it's a really bad description, not my fault). It's also really misleading, because the status remains until they're hit by a magic attack, not just one turn.

Sarah decided to waste her second turn healing as well. Since that particular cast is AoE around her, the Masked Man didn't get the heal.

Allowing Chris to jump in and take down Mask.

With the help of our Alma Kinan markswomen, Rico manages to drop Sarah shortly after, leaving Yuber for last. Thus making my Vengeful Child completely useless, but I'm not complaining.

He still parries way more than I'd like, but without the multiple-target magic attacks, Yuber is only scary rather than Absolutely Terrifying.

He also still berserks at low HP. The amount of HP he has is actually absurd, though. Even him being at "low," he has more than anyone I've got. It's still easily 1000+ HP at that point.

Murdering Rico remains a favorite pastime of his. I really don't know why, but he targets her first in basically all my fights with him. :iiam:

Fred berserks but doesn't do anything noteworthy.

This fucker.

Finally.

: "I don't know who you are, but I won't let you go near Yun!"

: "She'll be dead after the ritual anyway. What difference does it make."

I dunno, I feel like there's a notable difference between dying and being murdered.

: "Shut up!"

A flash of light streams past them.

: "Oh, brother."

: "The ritual is over."

I guess she completed it while we were holding them back. Kind of strange that it happened off-camera, though I guess it makes sense.

: "... gone with the Water Seal, I imagine. That's fine. There's another seal left. We'll still manage if we get to that one."

They teleport away.

: "Are they gone?"

: "Were they the destructive force Yun warned us about?"

Probably.

Yuiri gives Chris a concerned glance.

The next morning...

: "Good morning, milady. After such a hectic day yesterday, I hope you managed a good night's sleep."

Rico jumps in.

Let's see about getting Nash back next.

: "You're up with the sun, Nash. Why so early?"

: "What's wrong with rising at dawn? Only old folks have to wait until the crowing stops before getting up."

: "I really don't need more of your sarcasm this morning."

: "I'm always getting chided by you women for whatever I do. I'm not out fooling around, you know."

: "Are you off to find the Flame Champion?"

: "I guess I really should go. Someone's got to put an end to this. Yun thought it should be me."

: "You're going because someone else thinks it's right?"

Chris shakes her head.

: "It's more than that. My heart is guiding me now. My sworn enemies will be those who use senseless wars to further themselves. Anyone who massacres innocent lives will answer to me."

: "But... you ARE a hero. At least, you have all the makings of one."

: "That doesn't matter, either. All that matters is what needs to be done."

I feel like she's matured some. I'm proud.

Well, that's everything!

: "I see you're here to see us off."

: "Here's a map to the whereabouts of the Flame Champion. I have no knowledge of what awaits you there. Yun couldn't even foresee this."

: "We can only press on."

: "I didn't mean to disrespect you or your rituals earlier."

: "Will you accept our blessing for your journey?"

It's good to see them making peace with each other. :unsmith:

: "Well then, our greatest appreciation will go with this prayer."

:unsmith:

Haha, what a dork.

The hideaway pops up on the map, but we're not gonna go there yet.

Instead, we'll pop back in on Alma Kinan.

So that we can talk to this guy.

: "Shhh!"

: "?"

: "Quiet please! I'm starting to get it!"

:
>"I don't follow you."
>"You don't say."

: "Fly? With this broomstick?"

: "Yes!! Oops. Huh, I was so close... Can I help you? I'm right in the middle of magic lessons."

: "I see."

:
>"I am looking for men."
>"Sorry, I was just looking."

: "You're looking for men?"

: "Yes, I am looking for skilled fighters."

: "A fighter? My mentor doesn't engage in combat, per se. But her magic is invincible. She's the best magician in the world!"

No she's not. He, however, is a serious contender for "best magician," what with being one of the few who gets 3 rune slots to play with.

: "A magician?"

: "You'd be so impresed with her! No one knows more tricks and spells. She even outmatched Crowley, that famous old-timer! And she flies that broomstick like an eagle! If you'd like to meet her, she's staying at the Inn."

: "Is she really all that good?"

No.

Well, I mean, she's good, but she's not that good.

Crowley, by the way, was a star in Suikoden 1.

Anyway, we've gotta get her to get him, so let's take a look inside.

Here she is.

: "I have heard that you are a great magician. Would you consider joining us?"

: "Join your team? Hm... All right."

: "Really?"

: "I'll join you on one condition. Find the village of Gordius. Do that, and I'll come with you."

: "Gordius Village? I've never heard of it."

: "Yes. The Village is a legendary counterpart of Alma Kinan and consists solely of males. Its entrance is supposedly located in front of the ritual shrine of Alma Kinan."

Well, that's close enough. Let's jog over there.

Well, then. Let's go back I guess?

: "No, a villager told us she'd never heard of the place."

: "Oh, really? Then I'll join your team!"

: "Then what about Gordius Village?"

: "Well, which way are we going?"

: "No, I'm talking about Gordius Village."

: "Now, Rody, introduce yourself."

: "I'm Rody, Master Estella's apprentice. I'm still a notice, but I try my best."

: "All right, let's strike while the iron's hot, as they say."

:confuoot: :toot:

: "Well, Gordius Village..."

Anyway, that makes us officially done with Alma Kinan. Before we head to the hideaway, though, let's make some pit stops to fix up our party.

First, Rody.

We're keeping him. Just look at all that magic he can do right off the bat. However, we are taking those two runes off of him pronto.

Estella thought it was funny to stick a Firefly and Wall rune on her oblivious student, so let me explain why this is terrible. Firefly makes all the enemies target him over everyone else, and Wall makes it so he can't actually do anything, though it does increase his defense. Turning a squishy mage into a meat shield is bad, though, and that Firefly can go one people who deserve it more, like Twaikin or Fred.

Let's give him a Lightning Rune for starters, we've had pretty good luck with that. We can give him some more later.

We also buff his Precision skill up to A. Precision is neat because it protects allies from collateral damage from magic. Very few characters can get it.

Let's also see Landis' intro scene in the Budehuc basement-caves, which I did not know existed.

: "Abso--"

: "What?"

: "-lutely, yuh huh... You're all... doomed to the Grim Reaper."

: "Oh, I seeee...."

:stare:

Okay.

Anyway, while we're on the way to the hideaway, let me briefly show you why we like Rody.

That. That is why we like Rody. He takes longer to cast than Geddoe (this took him a turn and a half), but that damage is great.

Moving on, we finally make our way to the hideaway to meet with Iroh.

: "Quite gloomy, isn't it?"

: "I doubt if he lives here. Only a hermit would set up house here."

The area is basically the same as last we were here, except without the loot since Hugo got it first.

New enemy, though. Not to the game as a whole, but they weren't here when we were Hugo. The Bronze Suns haven't changed much.

Also, Nariqua is still here, and still likes to target women.

After a short jaunt, we arrive at the teleporter. We're gonna ignore the treasure boss this time around, mostly because I completely forgot about her.

: "What's this?"

It glows and activates.

: "Hey!"

Here we are again. Or, for the first time, actually, since Chris actually arrives first.

Doesn't matter. We've come this far, nothing to do but keep going.

: "Welcome, Chris."

: "But you're the... chief of Chisha Village..."

: "You are the wife of the Flame Champion? Is he here?"

: "Certainly, dear. Let me show you the way. Come."

It's interesting how straight-forward she is with Chris in comparison to Hugo.

:haw:

And here's the blurb.

Next time, we pick up where we left off with everyone's favorite band of idiot mercenaries.

yokaiy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 5, 2014

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
CHAPTER 2 Endings The Cliffhangers strike back.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I desperately need to catch up so I can post the manga part of this.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

So, new PCs:

Rody- I swear to god Rody has to be some sort of joke or reference I'm not getting. So in addition to Estella tricking him into being her meatshield, kid's probably the most off of our power mages. His best magic grade is...
Sword of Magic.
Yes, poor dumb Rody get's a goddamned natural S rank in freaking Sword of Magic. only one in fact. So you'll be unsurprised to learn that even with a Sword of Magic casting his physical is not any good. Otherwise, he gets a pile of B+es, which is pretty average, with an A in water magic and Blinking which... I will discuss later at a really obvious time. He's perfectly servicable, basically he can cast any magic okay and what you want him to do depends on what equips you have.

Estella- meanwhile, our lying liar of a new friend is at least telling plausible lies, because she really is the best spellcaster we see in this game (with the possible exception of any true runes we might yet encounter). We didn't see her loadout, but what she's got right now is a Rage Rune (an upgraded Fire Rune for non-series veterans), a Lightning Rune, and among other bits of equipment a locked Lightning Magic Ring. She has a natural S in Fire magic, and an A in Lightning, so between the locked ring and a wizard hat Estella can sling either offensive magic at maximum speed and power. if we want on offensive spellcaster besides a main character, this is our woman right here*.

*It's entirely possible you don't actually care about having an offensive spellcaster in Suikoden III, at least now that we're into the mid-game.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mageofthesands posted:

It's like one of those toothy hair clip things or the one Ozai wears in Avatar, except she wears hers on the side of her head instead.

CmdrKing posted:

So, new PCs:

Rody- I swear to god Rody has to be some sort of joke or reference I'm not getting. So in addition to Estella tricking him into being her meatshield, kid's probably the most off of our power mages. His best magic grade is...
Sword of Magic.
Yes, poor dumb Rody get's a goddamned natural S rank in freaking Sword of Magic. only one in fact. So you'll be unsurprised to learn that even with a Sword of Magic casting his physical is not any good. Otherwise, he gets a pile of B+es, which is pretty average, with an A in water magic and Blinking which... I will discuss later at a really obvious time. He's perfectly servicable, basically he can cast any magic okay and what you want him to do depends on what equips you have.

Estella- meanwhile, our lying liar of a new friend is at least telling plausible lies, because she really is the best spellcaster we see in this game (with the possible exception of any true runes we might yet encounter). We didn't see her loadout, but what she's got right now is a Rage Rune (an upgraded Fire Rune for non-series veterans), a Lightning Rune, and among other bits of equipment a locked Lightning Magic Ring. She has a natural S in Fire magic, and an A in Lightning, so between the locked ring and a wizard hat Estella can sling either offensive magic at maximum speed and power. if we want on offensive spellcaster besides a main character, this is our woman right here*.

*It's entirely possible you don't actually care about having an offensive spellcaster in Suikoden III, at least now that we're into the mid-game.

Hm, I guess I've never given Estella a chance then, actually. I remember Rody being hella helpful in my last playthrough and her not as much. Him getting an S in Sword of Magic is kind of hilarious, though.

Well, not that it matters which one we have with us now, since this is the end of the chapter and we won't be seeing them again for a while.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I desperately need to catch up so I can post the manga part of this.

Oh, excellent! I was hoping you'd post it, though I tracked it down in case you weren't going to. Hadn't scanned it yet either way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
How many Stars are we at now, anyway?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

We don't have the a list anywhere yet of all the stars we've already recruited, so... you'd have to go back through each update and manually count. And unless you've already played the game, you'll probably still be wrong because some characters have 'already' been recruited behind the scenes (that is, automatically without a "[x] joined the 108 Stars" notification) even though we've barely met them.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

yokaiy posted:

It's like one of those toothy hair clip things or the one Ozai wears in Avatar, except she wears hers on the side of her head instead.

Hm, I guess I've never given Estella a chance then, actually. I remember Rody being hella helpful in my last playthrough and her not as much. Him getting an S in Sword of Magic is kind of hilarious, though.

Well, not that it matters which one we have with us now, since this is the end of the chapter and we won't be seeing them again for a while.

Oh, excellent! I was hoping you'd post it, though I tracked it down in case you weren't going to. Hadn't scanned it yet either way.

I might just skip to it since we're here and leave out the spoilers.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

alcharagia posted:

How many Stars are we at now, anyway?

Not entirely sure what we've got at the moment, but when Chapter 4 rolls around we should be somewhere in the ballpark of 80 stars recruited, I believe.

CmdrKing posted:

We don't have the a list anywhere yet of all the stars we've already recruited, so... you'd have to go back through each update and manually count. And unless you've already played the game, you'll probably still be wrong because some characters have 'already' been recruited behind the scenes (that is, automatically without a "[x] joined the 108 Stars" notification) even though we've barely met them.

Especially since I haven't been good about updating the character list. The group of characters that just shuffle in with no fanfare do make it really hard to keep track too. You've already seen a bit of this when I was showing off the Kidd stuff with the list of people we could investigate, but the Grasslanders like Lucia, for example, count as being recruited but also don't because we can't use them yet. Along with some others, like the knights and such, I think.

And then there are some that we've dragged around that we'll still have to go back and "officially" recruit, like the duck-duo.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I might just skip to it since we're here and leave out the spoilers.

Yeah, if you want to, go for it. :) It's around the beginning of book 8, in case you hadn't found it yet.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Wow, that fight with our villains was brutal.
How much grinding did you do so you could win?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Semicolons can be used in lists when each point contains commas of its own. For example: first, there's this bit; second, you've got this thing; but third is this. I guess the translator thought the semicolons were justified because of the ellipsis, but since it's specifically to avoid confusion with commas within list items, I wouldn't have done it myself.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Chris makes a kina nasty quip in response.

I don't think it's all that nasty when they have a magic wall around it to keep people out. Most people get by with "no trespassing" signs.

Also typo. :cheeky:

quote:

: "I put all efforts as a Zexen Knight into combat. I only intend to defend my fellow me, the Zexen Knights and my country."

How selfish! Almost elfish -:suicide:

quote:

Because then there's this rear end in a top hat.

Pretty good description. :haw:

I hear this is one of the like two times in the entire series where Silence status is actually helpful, but I never got around to trying it myself.

quote:

: "I'll join you on one condition. Find the village of Gordius. Do that, and I'll come with you."

Waaay ahead of you.

:c00l:

Edit: And that is why we update the page before posting. :doh:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Wait, more important question:

Rico is a girl?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

grandalt posted:

Wow, that fight with our villains was brutal.
How much grinding did you do so you could win?

Actually, none, though even grinding wouldn't have necessarily saved me. I got absurdly lucky in that fight. Like, I've never seen this happen lucky. Because, you see, aside from Rico getting one-shotted, no one else took any damage.

(Also, levels happened.)

I don't understand it either. :iiam:

I got trashed like 5-10 times before I managed that, though, if that's any indication of how absurd my win was. Generally half your people are down at least before you grab victory in this one.

But yeah, no grinding, and my levels are about what they should be, given Yumi and Yuiri's levels.

gently caress. Fixed it now. :suicide:

vilkacis posted:

I hear this is one of the like two times in the entire series where Silence status is actually helpful, but I never got around to trying it myself.

Hell if anyone in my team can use Silent Lake worth a drat, though. I've got Nash and Rico with water runes and neither of them could do it fast enough for it to help. I've heard that Yumi can cast it fast enough, but eh. I do wish that the Vengeful Child had proven worth something, though I guess not actually needing it was better in a way.

Some day, I'll prove the usefulness of Earth Magic! :argh:

vilkacis posted:

Waaay ahead of you.

:c00l:

I forgot all about that. Nice callback, good job Sui5! I am proud of you! :golfclap:

alcharagia posted:

Wait, more important question:

Rico is a girl?

Yup. I was a little surprised too, but they use female pronouns when they talk about her and in the investigations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Beating Sarah, Yuber and Masky is literally just hoping that Sarah decides to drop a heal for the first and second turns.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Hell if anyone in my team can use Silent Lake worth a drat, though.

Huh, I remembered someone in the previous S3 thread saying something about how it casts super fast. Guess they had been smoking bad ghost hollies or something.

yokaiy posted:

Some day, I'll prove the usefulness of Earth Magic! :argh:

Never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Also, the only times that the Earth rune was actually useful were in Suikoden I & 2. At least in 1 it had a second level attack spell.

vilkacis posted:

Huh, I remembered someone in the previous S3 thread saying something about how it casts super fast. Guess they had been smoking bad ghost hollies or something.

Well, it casts quickly if you have a high water rune skill and a support character with a very high tutor stat.

• Locked thread