Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

What do you want to know and why haven't you bought it yet?

That price is a tad high but mil vehicle prices have been rising for a while now. Makes me glad I got my giant lawn ornament for $2500 4 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

What do you want to know and why haven't you bought it yet?

That price is a tad high but mil vehicle prices have been rising for a while now. Makes me glad I got my giant lawn ornament for $2500 4 years ago.

That price is well into nice 900 series 5 tons from govliquidation if he's serious ie http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7563795&convertTo=USD

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
5 tons typically go for more than that if they run and drive. And you have to fight a bunch of other people to win them on govliquidation, arrange shipping, pay the auction fees, do any random repairs that are needed, etc.

You can get a deuce for anywhere from 2k to 7-10k depending on condition around here.

There are exceptions, of course. I forget what Doccers' GF spent on that M923 they picked up recently. Looked to be worth it, though, good condition truck.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

5 tons typically go for more than that if they run and drive. And you have to fight a bunch of other people to win them on govliquidation, arrange shipping, pay the auction fees, do any random repairs that are needed, etc.

You can get a deuce for anywhere from 2k to 7-10k depending on condition around here.

There are exceptions, of course. I forget what Doccers' GF spent on that M923 they picked up recently. Looked to be worth it, though, good condition truck.

No real reason to arrange shipping if it's nearby, unless you have an issue with registering them in your state. I'd guess most of those in the area I linked to are just dead or no batteries, doesn't seem like they attempted any jumping.

The trick is to buy the trucks when there's 10+ for sale at the same location, everyone gets one, the prices stay low. I picked up a 71 m813a1 for $2400 after all the fees and drove it 10 miles to my house. It needed 2 batteries and the emergency fuel shutoff released. Not saying they're all that easy, but it's really not the hassle a lot of people think it is. Hell, for shipping, most of the time you can have someone from a site like steel soldiers do it for a pack of beer, they eat recoveries up like candy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I used to be on steelsoldiers but something rubbed me wrong about the place. Not sure what really.

These days (when did you get yours?) a lot of the bases won't let you drive poo poo off, and you get an SF97 form instead of a title, so you can't really register/insure it ahead of time. So practically speaking it has to be hauled out unless you're lucky. Also scrapmetal prices are driving everything up, nothing ever sells for less than scrap price.

I gave up after a couple tries at buying one off GL and ended up going via craigslist.

... I should fix that piece of poo poo up so I can actually drive it around.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Thats a neat site..

How much is scrap on something that size?

Also, anyone need 150,000 lbs of scrap wire?

Why would they require a DOD representative to witness you destroy this? If it's so important, why don't they shred it themselves before selling? How do those bidders know there is $20k in scrap in that pile? So many questions..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well figure that mine weighs around 19500lbs. #1 scrap iron goes for no less than 200/GT around here (even at yards that are of course making a profit on it), so roughly $1750 if I drove it to the scrapyard today. There's drat little except steel on these trucks. Maybe a ton of tires and bushings, that's about it.

It was higher a year or two ago.

An M923A1 weighs a ton or two more than mine, too. That's probably why it's bid up to 2 grand right now, some scrap company blanket-bid their paid scrap value on everything near them.

No idea on the wire price, but scrap companies generally know what they can get for stuff and you can ask to view the lot if you are in the area.

The demilling/crushing/mutilating requirement is probably because some idiot checked the wrong box OR they aren't 100% sure that they didn't toss a couple random circuit boards or old computers in there that might have classified info/design techniques/data on them. It usually applies to stuff like certain vehicles, aircraft parts scrap, etc.

Oh, don't believe the Hobbs meter on old military trucks at auction. They're frequently swapped out whenever required by the units that had them in service, the records that indicate the old mileage aren't really public info IIRC, sometiems it's not even recorded, etc. For a while they were tearing the instruments out of everything before selling it because some overzealous fuckhead decided to freak out about the radioactive GITD paint on the dials, and sometimes random sets of non-radioactive GITD dials with completely wrong hours/miles would get swapped in. People have bought trucks that indicated like 50 hours of operation and 20k miles before.

Bear in mind that any vehicle that says "overhauled in xxxxxx" may or may not end up titled as a vehicle manufactured that year. For instance, my truck that was originally built in 1958 is titled as a 1990 Mack because the government said so when they auctioned it.

Does all this casual changing of manufacture years and odometer readings sound blatantly illegal? Well, it is, for private citizens. The government however gets to do whatever the gently caress it wants with that stuff.

(I'm somewhat annoyed by this because it's the reason my truck isn't registered yet. Long story short, I'd have to get a CDL and spend roughly 5 grand a year on insurance/registration, but if I wait another 8 months I can register it antique and forget about the whole mess.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 1, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

West SAAB Story posted:

Proper base materials for recreating props? Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Well it's still the wrong year, so I think he'd be okay with it.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

Yeah, I used to be on steelsoldiers but something rubbed me wrong about the place. Not sure what really.

These days (when did you get yours?) a lot of the bases won't let you drive poo poo off, and you get an SF97 form instead of a title, so you can't really register/insure it ahead of time. So practically speaking it has to be hauled out unless you're lucky. Also scrapmetal prices are driving everything up, nothing ever sells for less than scrap price.

I gave up after a couple tries at buying one off GL and ended up going via craigslist.

... I should fix that piece of poo poo up so I can actually drive it around.

The form is a bill of sale, you bring that and your paid-in-full invoice and that will get you a temporary tag. Finding an insurer is more of an issue, most companies won't touch a big truck that isn't being put on commercial insurance. With the issuance of the title, a friend knew a guy that works at a car dealership and he came out and did the inspection to make sure the data plate VIN matched and that was that.

Here in Ohio, not sure about other states, you can drive technically anything that would otherwise require a CDL on public highways as long as you're not using it for commercial use. That includes trucks with air brakes (though the 813 is air over hydraulic). There's also a clause where if you have a farm you can run stuff within the state limits as a farmer on farm business, so I've got that for backup. Because it's a non-commercial truck, it's registered as exactly that, non-comm truck. I'm not a lawyer, so YMMV but I'm confident enough in the wording to do it, and I've had folks at multiple DMVS and police officers back me up.

I only have experience with one location for trucks, but the materials handler dude there said people show up and drive stuff off all the time without tags or insurance and without a care in the world, which is pretty insane with all the unknown factors going on in a trip like that.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Dr.Caligari posted:

Why would they require a DOD representative to witness you destroy this? If it's so important, why don't they shred it themselves before selling? How do those bidders know there is $20k in scrap in that pile? So many questions..

The DOD rep is probably because they get some sort of kickback write-off for selling it as scrap and not an actual "asset".

There was a great episode of Vice that got into the whole scrap thing with government contractors over in Afghanistan. Something to the effect of:

1) Contractor half-rear end destroys materials for a government write-off.
2) Contractor sells same scrap to local Afghan dealers.
3) Afghan dealer sells our "scrap" to the Taliban who either refurbish it or use it for neat stuff like IED's.

If you have access to HBO you should definitely check it out. The war aside, just the financial waste going on over there is infuriating.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

bigman.50grand posted:

The DOD rep is probably because they get some sort of kickback write-off for selling it as scrap and not an actual "asset".

There was a great episode of Vice that got into the whole scrap thing with government contractors over in Afghanistan. Something to the effect of:

3) Afghan dealer sells our "scrap" to the Taliban who either refurbish it or use it for neat stuff like IED's.

If you have access to HBO you should definitely check it out. The war aside, just the financial waste going on over there is infuriating.

This is the real point to the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. I hate it when people start talking about the wars being over oil or whatever. They are about contractors being able to embezzle large amounts of taxpayer money and equipment by building half-assed bases and providing sub-par services in far away lands where there is little or no oversight.

And maintaining the military industrial complex of course, but these things go hand in hand.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

bigman.50grand posted:

They also do stuff other than straight up scrap. There was a listing about 6 months ago in like Montana that had around 53 HMMWVs in various configurations, utility and up-armored, and that was a full de-milling contract with inspection. It's all pretty lovely.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

bigman.50grand posted:

Rolling Stone killed a lot of old articles when they revamped the site a few years back, but Matt Taibbi wrote a fantastic piece on it back in 07 that somebody thankfully copied to this site. Be ready to get angry!

Also idk what alternet is, sounds like some conspiracy site, but the article was not originally intended for that site.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 2, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4442851945.html

It drove fine, as you started to accelerate there was a vibrating kind of noise from underneath. Owner said it's the exhaust heat shield and I'd actually believe him, there was no loss of power or anything when it happened. In fact it was surprisingly peppy, I had it up to 50 in 3rd before I expected and didn't even touch 5th on our test drive. Brakes worked too. Tailgate doesn't go down. Otherwise, it seemed reasonably solid, although apparently his definition of "one owner pickup" means one owner before himself (he got the truck as payment for landscaping).

I'm thinking about offering $1600 and see if I can get him to go for something sub-$1900. The inside is surprisingly well-kept and I couldn't find any rust underneath... but at the end of the day it's still a 34 year old pickup.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4442851945.html

It drove fine, as you started to accelerate there was a vibrating kind of noise from underneath. Owner said it's the exhaust heat shield and I'd actually believe him, there was no loss of power or anything when it happened. In fact it was surprisingly peppy, I had it up to 50 in 3rd before I expected and didn't even touch 5th on our test drive. Brakes worked too. Tailgate doesn't go down. Otherwise, it seemed reasonably solid, although apparently his definition of "one owner pickup" means one owner before himself (he got the truck as payment for landscaping).

I'm thinking about offering $1600 and see if I can get him to go for something sub-$1900. The inside is surprisingly well-kept and I couldn't find any rust underneath... but at the end of the day it's still a 34 year old pickup.

I had that same year and model of Datsun, with over 300k miles on the original engine/trans. It'll run forever, you can't kill one of those.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

It drove fine, as you started to accelerate there was a vibrating kind of noise from underneath. Owner said it's the exhaust heat shield and I'd actually believe him, there was no loss of power or anything when it happened.

Vibration under acceleration sounds more like a U joint/Drive line issue (cheap and easy enough either way)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Vibration under acceleration sounds more like a U joint/Drive line issue (cheap and easy enough either way)

Well, I didn't feel any vibration, I just heard a kind of buzzing/vibrating kind of noise. Still possibly u-joint?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If it was only during accel, and not just related to speed, that does suggest driveline rather than a heat shield. Flappy shielding generally just vibrates from airflow, or possibly from RPMs if it's being whacked by a vibrating tailpipe or engine part.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Pham Nuwen posted:

Well, I didn't feel any vibration, I just heard a kind of buzzing/vibrating kind of noise. Still possibly u-joint?

Yeah, if it was under acceleration (power) that definitely suggests u-joints or other drive line (maybe a transmission mount too)

Its a 34 year old truck, there is also random harmonic issues as well. Nothing to be to scared of... just something to keep in mind.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4413273633.html

Captain Duvel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 3, 2014

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

This is the real point to the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. I hate it when people start talking about the wars being over oil or whatever. They are about contractors being able to embezzle large amounts of taxpayer money and equipment by building half-assed bases and providing sub-par services in far away lands where there is little or no oversight.

And maintaining the military industrial complex of course, but these things go hand in hand.

When the military started trying to get into recycling, they let units use the money from recycling for their morale and welfare fund. Of course Marine units started 'recycling' tanks and Coast Guard units started 'recycling' buoys.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
This is not something I knew existed. Looks pretty clean too

From wikipedia

The 745i Turbo was a special high-performance model offered in left-hand-drive North American and European markets between 1979 and 1986. It was originally fitted with a specially prepared 3.2 L (3205cc) i type-M30 six-cylinder gas engine and a turbocharger producing 252hp at 10 psi of boost with a Borg Warner K27 Turbocharger, BMW Intercooled engine code M102. In 1984 the engine grew to 3.4 L, and was known as the M106. These cars were all built with automatic transmissions (although there is documentation supporting how the ECU was modified at the factory to work with Getrag 5 speeds) and could be ordered with exotic options such as heated front and rear power reclining seats, auto-on aux interior gasoline fired heaters, leather covered cellular telephones, rear-armrest radio control, water buffalo hide upholstery, and burl wood trim.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4448331062.html

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Bodge Warn her. Keep away. KEEP AWAY.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

sanchez posted:

This is not something I knew existed. Looks pretty clean too

From wikipedia

The 745i Turbo was a special high-performance model offered in left-hand-drive North American and European markets between 1979 and 1986. It was originally fitted with a specially prepared 3.2 L (3205cc) i type-M30 six-cylinder gas engine and a turbocharger producing 252hp at 10 psi of boost with a Borg Warner K27 Turbocharger, BMW Intercooled engine code M102. In 1984 the engine grew to 3.4 L, and was known as the M106. These cars were all built with automatic transmissions (although there is documentation supporting how the ECU was modified at the factory to work with Getrag 5 speeds) and could be ordered with exotic options such as heated front and rear power reclining seats, auto-on aux interior gasoline fired heaters, leather covered cellular telephones, rear-armrest radio control, water buffalo hide upholstery, and burl wood trim.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4448331062.html

Dear god yes

exempt
Dec 10, 2006
I wish there was an app that made old car phones useable, because if there was, I'd have a much older car with a sweet car phone.

I wonder if it breaks hands free laws if it's factory?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Depending on speaker/mic properties you could throw the circuitry from a BT headset at the car phone handset, and if speaker resistance or mic voltage output are way out you can always use a small amplifier circuit. It's very doable. I'm sure there's a way to get the keypad to talk to a modern cell too but I'm not well versed enough in electrical engineering to say exactly how it could be implemented.
edit: I guess you could just tear one of these down http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECOM-Ten-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Number-Pad-TK-TBM008BK-From-Japan-/251517512856

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 3, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

sanchez posted:

auto-on aux interior gasoline fired heaters, water buffalo hide upholstery

Well poo poo son. :stare:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

exempt posted:

I wish there was an app that made old car phones useable, because if there was, I'd have a much older car with a sweet car phone.

I wonder if it breaks hands free laws if it's factory?

This is a reasonable alternative: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8928/

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

sanchez posted:

auto-on aux interior gasoline fired heaters

Is there a diagram of how this is put together? I'm trying to imagine how this works in a car

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is there a diagram of how this is put together? I'm trying to imagine how this works in a car

I'm sure they worked the same way they do on trucks. You have a firing chamber with a heat exchanger somewhere outside/under the hood. The firing chamber exhausts somewhere under the car, and air is either drawn in from inside or outside or the cabin through the heat exchanger and fed back into the cabin.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4420205172.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lovely, but you'll be replacing every single thing in that car's engine that was made of rubber, it might have gas in the tank that has turned into sludge, and of course it will need new tires. Depending on how it's been stored, the interior might be a mouse nest, too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I swear I've seen that ad before, a few years ago. Same place, same picture, same story.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I think it popped up less than a year ago in this very thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Depending on how it's been stored, the interior might be a mouse nest, too.

Mice aren't really a problem in Florida so that's not an issue. But yeah the other stuff would be a problem, worth it though if the body and interior are in good shape.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Really old gas should be fine actually; they used MTBE for anti-knock from the banning of lead until it was replaced with ethanol starting in 1999 (when Cali banned MTBE because of its toxicity). Ethanol is the main thing that makes newer gas go bad; it absorbs water and separates out from the fuel, reducing the octane rating of the gasoline (and rusting out the tank to boot), and it breaks down after 1-2 years and precipitates out solids, which can clog the fuel filter.

MTBE (and Tetra-ethyl Lead in leaded fuels) don't have those problems, so the gas should be fine as long as it can still support combustion, and the actual octane hydrocarbon is stable for a lot longer. I think it was Boost Creep and his Bricklin, it sat since the early 80s and the fuel itself was bad, but the tank itself was pristine; just needed to be drained and filled.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Leperflesh posted:

Lovely, but you'll be replacing every single thing in that car's engine that was made of rubber, it might have gas in the tank that has turned into sludge, and of course it will need new tires. Depending on how it's been stored, the interior might be a mouse nest, too.

Ok well then how about this classic, what a deal!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The only Cavalier I'd pay six grand for is this one: http://whatmonstersdo.com/blog2/2012/02/02/car-feature-joshs-1991-turbo-cavalier-rs-wagon/

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

If I had stupid money I'd buy it just to crush it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/4449466167.html

Certainly don't make them like they used to!