Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
What are the must watch comedy/action animes this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think you will find that JoJo fulfills both criteria.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

In my opinion Chaika has also good fights.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Chaika has good fights, and it's quite funny. I've seen it described multiple times in multiple places as "like someone's D&D campaign, turned into an anime," and that description keeps popping up because it's accurate.

The anti-tank rifle wand is actually pretty appropriate, because thus far her magic's mostly been used in a sniper capacity; the fights where she contributes involve them positioning her before things start, keeping the enemies distracted, and then lining up a very precise shot. I like that better than most instances of magic in fiction.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Einander posted:

Chaika has good fights, and it's quite funny. I've seen it described multiple times in multiple places as "like someone's D&D campaign, turned into an anime," and that description keeps popping up because it's accurate.

The anti-tank rifle wand is actually pretty appropriate, because thus far her magic's mostly been used in a sniper capacity; the fights where she contributes involve them positioning her before things start, keeping the enemies distracted, and then lining up a very precise shot. I like that better than most instances of magic in fiction.

The fact that (almost) everything that she tries to use it on in a non-combat capacity tends to explode is pretty great too (if one forgets the Dough Shot ever happened).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Einander posted:

My D&D campaigns didn't have so many lolis...

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only D&D anime I acknowledge is Slayers

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

pandaK posted:

What's the full story on that, anyway? I hear it thrown around, but googling it never gives me a concrete answer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

My D&D campaigns didn't have so many lolis...

Some more words in this and we would have a proper LN title.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

My tsundere childhood friend won't accept that my D&D campaigns don't have so many lolis...?!!???,,..

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

My D&D campaigns I play alone at home hiding from everyone else from society now suddenly has so many lolis??????

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

HellCopter posted:

What's the full story on that, anyway? I hear it thrown around, but googling it never gives me a concrete answer.

A party of misfits go on a fantasy adventure all the while bumbling into crazy situations. They usually solve problems by bashing their heads and magics into them.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

pandaK posted:

Slayers, but not Record of Lodoss War?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

could hobbits be considered "loli?"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HellCopter posted:

It was a super-90s fantasy/comedy that a lot of people grew up with. As a result a lot of people (myself included) have heaps of nostalgia for it. The first season hasn't aged all that well but NEXT and TRY are still pretty solid romps.

E: Oh if you meant whether it was actually based on D&D campaigns I don't remember if that was ever confirmed. I'd believe it though. I know it was true in the case of Lodoss War, though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 6, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

Slayers, but not Record of Lodoss War?

Record of Lodoss War is how you want your D&D session to go.

Slayers is how it actually goes.

Edit: Also, my love for Slayers is actually not nostalgia because I didn't watch it until about 5 years ago.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Nate RFB posted:

It was a super-90s fantasy/comedy that a lot of people grew up with. As a result a lot of people (myself included) have heaps of nostalgia for it. The first season hasn't aged all that well but NEXT and TRY are still pretty solid romps.

Best Slayers is Lina+Naga, as seen in the Excellent OVAs and Special OVAs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

If I recall correctly, the stories in Slayers were based on the Author's campaigns or at least inspired by them

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
My D&D Campaign Can't Possibly Be This Moe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I Tried To Make A Charisma Save With The Student Council President But I Got A Natural 1!

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

We have a winner

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nate RFB posted:

Slayers was my very first exposure to the anime art style, and the first anime TV series I ever watched, and I'm pretty sure the first thing I ever saw subtitled too. I have a pretty big pile of nostalgia for it myself. I agree with your assessment of the original, even back when I first saw both series it felt like the original was just practice for Next. They're very nearly the same series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffleman_ posted:

I Tried To Make A Charisma Save With The Student Council President But I Got A 「Natural 1」!

Now you're good to go.

Lodoss War seriously bored the poo poo out of me, which I guess is what happens when you try to take a D&D campaign seriously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Che Delilas posted:

They're very nearly the same series.
No, that's Revolution :haw:

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

I just would like to tell the world that my favorite current anime is HunterXHunter and that you should watch it if you aren't. My name is Anime is great! and you should listen to my opinion because

It may seem super generic and dragonballsy, but that is because it is. I remember kind of liking the manga a long time ago but not nearly as much as this current anime (I guess there was an old one? I never looked into it). There is something about the slow and deliberate pace that owns. Also, the narrator.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Apparently, there was a Haiyore! Nyaruko-san OVA that came out last month. It's a hot springs episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skiiVJ1M8Ns

New PV for Fate/Stay Night.

Looks fuckin' sweet. gently caress, I dunno WHAT route it looks like.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 8, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Since it's simply called Fate/Stay Night, it stands to reason it follows the first route. Which would be a shame since it's the worst route and the protagonist is insufferable throughout like 80% of it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If they're intending it to flow from Fate Zero they'll definitely be doing a bit of the Fate route to have some kind of storyline and closure for Saber while also pulling from Heaven's Feel so they can deal with the corruption of the Grail (and also the fact that Zouken and True Assassin are only from HF).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Since it's simply called Fate/Stay Night, it stands to reason it follows the first route. Which would be a shame since it's the worst route and the protagonist is insufferable throughout like 80% of it.
What would they call it otherwise? That's the name of the game. Anyway, it's still not really known what the story structure is going to be.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

What would they call it otherwise? That's the name of the game. Anyway, it's still not really known what the story structure is going to be.

Well each route has a distinctive name, so I imagine they'd use that name, but that's no guarantee. Or maybe they'll combine all three into some new story.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
As much as I like Cosmos, Ping Pong is the best thing airing on TV right now and everyone should watch it. That is all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Or maybe they'll combine all three into some new story.
That's basically what DEEN did, which was a complete disaster. I mean ufotable is probably capable of doing a better job but it would still be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

That's basically what DEEN did, which was a complete disaster. I mean ufotable is probably capable of doing a better job but it would still be fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Yeah, but isn't Nasu directly involved in this project, or at least in a similar vein as he was when Urobuchi wrote Fate/Zero? Also holy poo poo it's been 10 years since this thing came into existence.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I thought it was pretty much confirmed it will be Heaven's Feel.

Nate RFB posted:

He means the first route is called "Fate" specifically. Second is Unlimited Blade Works, third is Heaven's Feel.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought someone said at some point in the F/Z thread that Nasu was writing a new "4th" route for the anime to follow. Or was that just some rumor that got debunked?

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
It's gonna be the long-awaited Illya route, obviously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

He means the first route is called "Fate" specifically. Second is Unlimited Blade Works, third is Heaven's Feel.
I know what he means, but calling it "Fate/stay night" shouldn't be a showing of route commitment because it's not like they can just make up a new name. That's what it's called! Even when they released Réalta Nua on PC they still subtitled the first episode as "Fate" rather than just leaving it as FSN.

Blhue posted:

I thought someone said at some point in the F/Z thread that Nasu was writing a new "4th" route for the anime to follow. Or was that just some rumor that got debunked?
It was supposedly leaked from Type-Moon ACE in January, though I don't remember if it was ever confirmed. E: Actually I'm pretty sure that was debunked, the actual announcement goes out its way to mention that that nothing was confirmed for the story structure.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 9, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Doraemon is getting a dub on Disney XD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

:confuoot: I guess it's whimsical enough. Isn't it a bit odd to bring over a 40-year-old series, though? Are they gonna start from the beginning?

• Locked thread