Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Nolaterif posted:

I guess you're right. Naomi has a kid and a kitchen and us as a man. What more could she possibly need?
A giant man eating bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

E
A
A

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

I bet the people who want to raise the Roc are the same people who were against raising a family because it would be micromanaging.

You can't ride a loving baby into battle against a demon army.

I guess I don't understand why we even rushed back with the egg....to take it to another city to sacrifice? That is seriously what everyone wants to do? I normally understand people being pro El, but this one just boggles me.

Most people wanted to raise the Roc, but then we got advice from Ish who is team hyper safety and we changed our mind...but what is the harm in just giving it a chance? If it's as dangerous as Ish thinks then I have no doubt there will be enough votes to squash the Roc

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 6, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
1C. DANAL LIVES.
2A. WE ARE RAISING THIS ROC BABY. It will be an asset to the city and it will bring fame to the entire region. And hey, if things go south we'll take care of it ourselves.
4B. Happy wife, happy life.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

JT Jag posted:

I bet the people who want to raise the Roc are the same people who were against raising a family because it would be micromanaging.

Tsyni posted:

Nolaterif posted:

I guess you're right. Naomi has a kid and a kitchen and us as a man. What more could she possibly need?

Diogines posted:

A giant man eating bird?

drat it, everyone's beating me to it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tsyni posted:

I guess I don't understand why we even rushed back with the egg....to take it to another city to sacrifice? That is seriously what everyone wants to do? I normally understand people being pro El, but this one just boggles me.
I wanted to see Ishamal's reaction. If he thought there was any remote chance to tame it, I would be alright with trying, but he doesn't. Anyway, it was worth bringing back if we make it a trophy.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Tsyni posted:

Most people wanted to raise the Roc, but then we got advice from Ish who is team hyper safety and we changed our mind...but what is the harm in just giving it a chance? If it's as dangerous as Ish thinks then I have no doubt there will be enough votes to squash the Roc

I don't get it either, it was even pointed out when we chose to take the egg back, that raising a Roc would be a dangerous thing that everyone would think we were crazy for. Tudiya and Ishamal's reactions were essentially exactly what Diog said they would be. Everybody voted to take the thing then, but then we get back, get told exactly what we we already knew, and suddenly it's too hot to handle.

Ah well, maybe everyone voting to bring it back really just wanted to sacrifice it all along. :shrug:

Edit: Actually, looking back, Diog said it would be 'tough to know how Ishamal would react', but that he'd like defer to Tudiya. Who would think it would be mad.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 6, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

I don't get it either, it was even pointed out when we chose to take the egg back, that raising a Roc would be a dangerous thing that everyone would think we were crazy for. Tudiya and Ishamal's reactions were essentially exactly what Diog said they would be. Everybody voted to take the thing then, but then we get back, get told exactly what we we already knew, and suddenly it's too hot to handle.

Ah well, maybe everyone voting to bring it back really just wanted to sacrifice it all along. :shrug:

I at least almost literally don't have a chance to vote on weekends. I might be able to make like, one post, but gently caress if I can actually do anything other than that. So I'm just being consistent--right after we found it, I said taking it to Baitel might be alright, and then I left the thread until today due to my work schedule.

I don't really care what Ishamal said. Selling/sacrificing it in Baitel or giving it to Indor are my other two favorite options. Raising it just seems like a waste of time, particularly since a roc isn't particularly powerful anyway. We killed one without going all Mighty Mode, it just seems like a bigger bird. Like, ride it into battle against demons? It'll be killed super fast. Assuming we can even get that far.

And if we really want air support, a quicker, less expensive, and less dangerous way is to just get a falcon from birth and try to Snarls that. Boom, eyes from the air.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

We could invent gliders and teach Snarls how to fly/tie him to one.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009

SerSpook posted:

And if we really want air support, a quicker, less expensive, and less dangerous way is to just get a falcon from birth and try to Snarls that. Boom, eyes from the air.

But what if we Snarls'd a Roc!?

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

My mind changed when Tudiya said we'll be executed when it kills someone. If we let it grow, that's not even a question. This bird is definitely going to kill someone it wasn't supposed to.

I don't mind letting people know we're crazy, but I do mind being dead.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Because I assume most people didn't want to bring it back, but now that we have and that it's become apparent it's an insane idea it's the best idea in their minds.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
World's largest omelet.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

GloriousDemon posted:

But what if we Snarls'd a Roc!?

We have a bigger bird that will still probably be killed by the actually powerful things in the world?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JT Jag posted:

I wanted to see Ishamal's reaction. If he thought there was any remote chance to tame it, I would be alright with trying, but he doesn't.

If it were up to Ishamal, we would take a solemn vow to sit at home with our hands on the table where he could see them at all times for the next 300 years.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A literal Archangel thought Ishamal had the wrong mindset when it came to some things. He's old as gently caress but he's not EL.

RIP Billy.

e: dcbomba what percentage of posters ever actually change their votes?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ok consider me swayed by the thought of fighting a demon army/dragon on Rocback- Imagine if we'd had Dwayne during our dream sequence, shits badass

Changing vote to 2 - AC, raise it ourselves but hire a falconry expert to hang out with us/our balls and teach us everything he knows. Put points into Skill Focus: Mighty Animal Husbandry.

We can start by training the Rooster that we won, Stabby, to become the cock fighting champion of Zepath

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 6, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

If we had a roc in our dream sequence, it would have been killed by our foe without too much difficulty I'm pretty sure. It is as nothing to that power.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Well what is?

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
If we had an ancient Larry Bird by our side that thing will be snapping the necks of dragons and slurping up eyescreams like... icecream.
Hell with our 'influence' it might even get metal feathers like the old tales.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

If we had a roc in our dream sequence, it would have been killed by our foe without too much difficulty I'm pretty sure. It is as nothing to that power.

A god/demi-god being able to kill our roc isn't a compelling argument against it. Snarls couldn't take it either, but he is awesome and has many uses, just like a Roc would.

It's not just a matter of going and getting a falcon to train and being happy with that. This is something we carried for months back to safety, nursing it along. We defeated its mother in an epic battle. Isn't this the stuff of heroes that Enkidel is supposed to be all about?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

A god/demi-god being able to kill our roc isn't a compelling argument against it. Snarls couldn't take it either, but he is awesome and has many uses, just like a Roc would.

It's not just a matter of going and getting a falcon to train and being happy with that. This is something we carried for months back to safety, nursing it along. We defeated its mother in an epic battle. Isn't this the stuff of heroes that Enkidel is supposed to be all about?

I honestly admit that I think trying to do this is just a waste of time. I have no strong objections to seeing until it's hatched, I am worried that actually trying it will just prolong the entire exercise when it isn't actually trainable.

I think giving it to Indor is a legitimately more interesting choice on pretty much every level, especially since that could actually provide insight into what's up with monsters and magic. I don't know why everyone is so attached to a plan that is not that likely to work, won't give us that much of a real benefit, and has a chance of getting us killed. We have a perfectly good witch to give the egg to.

I mainly want to give it to Taanach's temple to get out of Zepath.

eta: Bronzing it and keeping it as a trophy is cool too I guess.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 6, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

I honestly admit that I think trying to do this is just a waste of time. I have no strong objections to seeing until it's hatched, I am worried that actually trying it will just prolong the entire exercise when it isn't actually trainable.

I know that this is the objection of a lot of people voting against raising the Roc, but consider that we've been in this thread for...a year almost? It's been a while. Basically everything has been interesting. The outcome of raising the Roc is sure to be either way. I doubt we will have more than a few micromanaging votes specifically in regards to the Roc, especially if we tell Diog that we want to gloss over the gory details. I just imagine it as something that comes up as a number 4 or 5 question once in a while, and once it's raised it's another awesome tool in our hero tool-belt.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

I know that this is the objection of a lot of people voting against raising the Roc, but consider that we've been in this thread for...a year almost? It's been a while. Basically everything has been interesting. The outcome of raising the Roc is sure to be either way. I doubt we will have more than a few micromanaging votes specifically in regards to the Roc, especially if we tell Diog that we want to gloss over the gory details. I just imagine it as something that comes up as a number 4 or 5 question once in a while, and once it's raised it's another awesome tool in our hero tool-belt.

I can't see that as viable based on what what A basically is. It's restructuring everything in our life around this. And if we don't make that kind of commitment, then it probably won't work.

If we do this, then we have to put a bunch of other poo poo on hold. Going to Baitel and bringing a chained minotaur with us, for instance. Or exploring, since we'd be taking care of the roc and trying to ensure we can feed it. All on the off chance we can get a flying mount?

And then we decide to upgrade once we find a dragon egg.

tl;dr I prefer to just rid ourselves of the egg in some manner and don't strongly care which way.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

SerSpook posted:

I think giving it to Indor is a legitimately more interesting choice on pretty much every level, especially since that could actually provide insight into what's up with monsters and magic. I don't know why everyone is so attached to a plan that is not that likely to work, won't give us that much of a real benefit, and has a chance of getting us killed. We have a perfectly good witch to give the egg to.

Nah, Indor will just offer to do some mumbo-jumbo and make a 'wonder' for us, maybe, and then we'll all vote for maybe some more healing potions or silver.

Tsyni posted:

consider that we've been in this thread for...a year almost? It's been a while.

Speaking of that! I noticed earlier that we've just recently passed 30000 posts. Looking through the first ten pages of this forum, that's roughly six times the next 'busiest' threads, save one, which has around 20k and has been operating since 2007 :stare:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Nah, Indor will just offer to do some mumbo-jumbo and make a 'wonder' for us, maybe, and then we'll all vote for maybe some more healing potions or silver.

Speaking of that! I noticed earlier that we've just recently passed 30000 posts. Looking through the first ten pages of this forum, that's roughly six times the next 'busiest' threads, save one, which has around 20k and has been operating since 2007 :stare:

Imperial Guard is a good CYOA and it is a fun read. Go read it when you have the time.

Also if we do go with silver or potions, we'll get a gently caress ton of each at least.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

SerSpook posted:

I can't see that as viable based on what what A basically is. It's restructuring everything in our life around this. And if we don't make that kind of commitment, then it probably won't work.

If we do this, then we have to put a bunch of other poo poo on hold. Going to Baitel and bringing a chained minotaur with us, for instance. Or exploring, since we'd be taking care of the roc and trying to ensure we can feed it. All on the off chance we can get a flying mount?

And then we decide to upgrade once we find a dragon egg.

tl;dr I prefer to just rid ourselves of the egg in some manner and don't strongly care which way.

Honestly the biggest let-down about just going "eh okay ishamal we'll listen to you" and then going off to sacrifice the egg is that it's a very rare opportunity, and we will learn SOMETHING at the very least from it.

Every one of our attempts to poke and experiment, while they may not have worked perfectly, has resulted in us gaining a fuckload of knowledge about this setting. At some cost, of course, but still worth it. If we hadn't tried the breathing stunt, we would still never have gotten confirmation of ??? and be just poking around pipe-dreams as to what is powering us. Ish would never tell us about ??? any time soon.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Honestly the biggest let-down about just going "eh okay ishamal we'll listen to you" and then going off to sacrifice the egg is that it's a very rare opportunity, and we will learn SOMETHING at the very least from it.

Every one of our attempts to poke and experiment, while they may not have worked perfectly, has resulted in us gaining a fuckload of knowledge about this setting. At some cost, of course, but still worth it. If we hadn't tried the breathing stunt, we would still never have gotten confirmation of ??? and be just poking around pipe-dreams as to what is powering us. Ish would never tell us about ??? any time soon.

It's trading the opportunity to learn about the egg (which Indor honestly seems the best bet on) in order to go to Taanach and learn stuff there. They have their own adventuring bands that do poo poo, we even met some of them in the Bareen incident. Saved one of them even, and he said he'd host us when next we come.

It's also an opportunity to spread our fame some. Not just be a hero in Zepath, but get the people of Taanach to see us as one. Sure, they've heard stories, but almost none of them have interacted with us. Those who have, did so a few years ago, before we slew the demon.

Speaking of that, Diog, do we get mentions of the demon slaying that often, from people not of Zepath? Like merchants? How is the story generally viewed?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Completely unrelated to anything we're discussing, but I had a funny thought.

Lullaya is currently making it as a fairly successful merchant, correct?
Which would imply he travels to other cities, yes?

Who is the all around awesome dude who merchants from other cities think quite highly of?

Merchant: "Oh, you're from Zepath? Hey! Do you know Enkidel? Awesome guy, that one."
Lullaya: :argh:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

the_steve posted:

If it were up to Ishamal, we would take a solemn vow to sit at home with our hands on the table where he could see them at all times for the next 300 years.

And if it were up to Tsyni we'd have all the men in Zepath lined up so we can bite off their dicks for Asherah.

I am so sorry the cool idea in your head doesn't get the reaction you want from Ish or Tudiya, but what did you really expect people to do when told they have to watch the Roc 24/7 for years in the hopes it can be snarlsed? We're not even talking tame, just making the Roc intelligent. Not to mention how many livestock would it go through in a month? Year?

This isn't team boring rearing it's head, it's a terrible idea and you still haven't realized it, or you do and don't care about the consequences involved.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean think about it this way, how many years did we own Snarls as a normal dog before we unwittingly made him what he was now? Three? Four? The fact that he was smarter than all the dogs and a domesticated animal is what made him Snarls before he became Snarls.

At three or four years the Roc will be at least the size of a cow and eating its body weight in meat, and it'll still be dumb as a bag of rocks and ten times as mean.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

You guys , we have no idea how this roc is going to act, the rate at which it will grow, our intuition towards it, whether or not and how strong our subliminal influence will be on its mindstate, or any other number of things.

So, let's hatch it and we can always kill it later if things get out of hand. It isn't going to just pop open and go on a rampage. We'll have time later to suss things out.

I'm really sad we didn't keep the beak helmet. Not only is this the second time we've passed on an awesome trophy helmet, wearing it would have probably helped Larry to imprint on us :(

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nolaterif posted:

"Why would you want presents? You're already the envy of most women in Zepath. You have me all to yourself!"

:/

Women already don't have agency in this society. Let's try not to be a further dick about it. Besides, I imagine even lesser men give their wives presents on occasion.

I didn't say that we shouldn't give her presents, in fact I voted to give her most of the feathers. I just wanted to remind everyone that if there were such a thing as a "sexiest man in Zepath" award, we would have won it several years running.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

JT Jag posted:

Hey man I've been pro-family the whole time and I'm voting in favor of this crazy rear end idea.

Also I bet Roc feathers actually do get hard as bronze, but only as they get older. Sort of like Grove Scorpions and acid blood.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was slowly going through the Land Between Rivers thread, but recently I'm getting a database error each time I've tried to access it. Could anyone throw me a link, please?

1. C, as awesome as a pet Roc would be, maybe we should start taking hints when absolutely everyone tells us we're wrong.
2. I
3. Omelette
4. A

EDIT: Bolded votes

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 6, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
W. Put the egg in the balls.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Team :spergin:

Raising the King of Roc (Elvis?) means completely reorganizing our life for at least a year to even have a notion about whether it is possible or not. I view that as a positive. (There is no inherent reason that has to be micromanaged more than anything else.)

We don't know if it is possible. At some point while we are finding out, Elvis will start to fly. Really soon after he (she?) hatches maybe. Once Elvis is airborne we cannot be in town and will need to be at least two weeks away from civilization. We will need to feed Elvis until he can hunt and create a real bond with him. Apparently they live forever.... A long, long time at least. This is not really true of most people we know. They are extremely rare and we are not likely to find another one in the next century or two.

What is the biggest risk? Elvis will have a big appetite and might eat try to eat people (or Snarls) at any point. He might succeed. Hmmm... Does that sound like anyone we know?

We have no idea how fast Roc's grow, but it will probably be near full grown and flying, if still young, within a year. It is the kind of thing we need to do all the way or not at all. Half measures will be a very bad thing.

It is also one of the coolest things we have had a chance to do. Regardless of whether anyone thinks it an insanely bad idea (which it is in so many ways) it is clearly very cool. It is exponentially cooler than any thing or stuff we are going to get or anything Indor could make. It is infinitely cooler than anything we are ever going to do with commerce. It is just intrinsically cool. As with such things it is of course also a very bad idea. It could go very, very badly. It is not completely unlike getting a motorcycle as a teenager.

I can't really imagine not wanting to do it.

Snarls ... Grows the pack? Snarls seems to get it.

What is Snarl's impression of the egg?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 6, 2014

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
We'll have plenty of time to raise all kinds of wild animals and beasts when we're older, we're constantly growing in strength and if the future holds any truth, we're going to be insanely strong, which means raising rocs aren't going to be any problems when we're older.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

1C. DANAL LIVES.
2A. WE ARE RAISING THIS ROC BABY. It will be an asset to the city and it will bring fame to the entire region. And hey, if things go south we'll take care of it ourselves.
4B. Happy wife, happy life.

+1

However, I must stipulate that we will not ignore our son in favour of the Roc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Greggster posted:

We'll have plenty of time to raise all kinds of wild animals and beasts when we're older, we're constantly growing in strength and if the future holds any truth, we're going to be insanely strong, which means raising rocs aren't going to be any problems when we're older.

Yeah but were not going to have a roc egg when were older