Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

30.5 Days posted:

Hey everyone, this nice guy's doing some academic research into how humans explore things, so he needs you to try and play his little 20-30 minute long game so they can get data from it. It's just a few minutes out of your day, I finished it in less than 20 and I'm terrible at everything.

http://www.vaisaghvt.com/minecraft-experiment/

EDIT: Looking at the site a bit more, I guess he does research into building evacuation plans, and this is research into how people explore buildings when they're in a hurry? It's real cool regardless, am I'm way excited he chose Tekkit Classic as his platform.

This is cool as hell and more people should try this! I played with the building evacuation concept in mind and the time limit really pushed me to be as fast as I possibly could.

m2pt5 posted:

This is pretty neat, and while there's only 4 people on the leaderboard, I thought it was cool that I only missed getting the best time by 12 seconds.
Not anymore! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Wireless power, have some sort of tower coming from your power plant that broadcasts power and a module inside the TE machines that you can put a power receiver in.

The amount of times I've designed some sort of TE setup and thought "gently caress no space for conduits" is a lot

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

AceClown posted:

Wireless power, have some sort of tower coming from your power plant that broadcasts power and a module inside the TE machines that you can put a power receiver in.

The amount of times I've designed some sort of TE setup and thought "gently caress no space for conduits" is a lot

Why stop there? Why not wireless energy transfer and duct-less fluid/item transfer too? It could all be done by one block, filled with resonant ender. :v:

(For real though, I get what you're saying, but it would probably be a little redundant.)

e: Actually a single upgrade that lets a machine communicate with a tesseract in only one of the three ways is a pretty neat idea. Cheaper upgrades to let you interface with a frequency's power, fluid, or item flow; so you could say, power a bank of machines without conduits, but if you also wanted them to output to the same tesseract frequency you'd have to build another one.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 6, 2014

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Alkydere posted:

An Igneous Extuder is indeed something you want to build ASAP. Ideally you go dirt->cobblestone->oldschool water+magma cobble generator ->Extruder ASAP. The quicker you're making stone directly instead of going through dirt the better, and the quicker you get that stone production to be automated is even better.

For food, I also suggest going down Hell's Kitchen as quickly as possible. Getting a simple Juicer (which takes 3 smooth stone) is great for early on because you can double the food you get from any fruit such as the apples your oak tees will drop or watermelons. Later on you can use the juices for vinegar for fancier foods or the vinegar quest. 3-4 watermelon plants and a juicer will pretty much support a player indefinitely.

I didn't even know about the juicer. I went with fish/corn until I got my first wheat seeds. Then I moved on to bread (toasted). Soon after, my mob spawner was kind enough to produce a zombie with a potato, so I set up a secondary farm. Just a 5x5 area for each crop took care of all my food and compost needs for the immediate future.

Getting the Igneous Extruder built was a huge step, and one which allowed me to finally start expanding my build area on a massive scale.

Then I built my first Pulverizer and my first Magmatic Dynamo to enable me process all the fun things I'd been bringing back from the nether.

Emeralds are currently killing my spirit, though. Each game day is now reduced to:

Make cobble stack into gravel.
Put gravel in sifter.
Sift.
Repeat.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

Honestly, I'm very surprised that more mods haven't done fun stuff with the fluid API. Seems a waste. I may have to post source at some point to encourage people, but the base code I used is already in Forge. The rest is just window dressing.

I'm quite proud of pyrotheum though. :)
Pyrotheum is wicked, and I'm find of cryotheum too. Actually, I love the whole fluid thing and do wish more was done with it.

quote:

If Z and skyboy ever get around to implementing upgrades in the manner we talked about, you'll be able to cut that number significantly. People creating that many extruders sort of runs counter to their original purpose - reducing lag.

To be fair, that's really only for AS - most of them time, there's no reason to go insane and try to create over 43 million cobble. But upgrades would be nice - I'd love faster... Everything. It would also help use more RF - with just TE, it's really easy to satisfy power requirements.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

EricFate posted:

I didn't even know about the juicer. I went with fish/corn until I got my first wheat seeds. Then I moved on to bread (toasted). Soon after, my mob spawner was kind enough to produce a zombie with a potato, so I set up a secondary farm. Just a 5x5 area for each crop took care of all my food and compost needs for the immediate future.

Getting the Igneous Extruder built was a huge step, and one which allowed me to finally start expanding my build area on a massive scale.

Then I built my first Pulverizer and my first Magmatic Dynamo to enable me process all the fun things I'd been bringing back from the nether.

Emeralds are currently killing my spirit, though. Each game day is now reduced to:

Make cobble stack into gravel.
Put gravel in sifter.
Sift.
Repeat.

Make sure hunger bar is full, get stack of gravel, wedge heavy book on RMB, go do something else for 10 minutes, come back to full inventory.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Before you have your first auto-sifter, it's way more efficient to hold down your RMB with about 5 hammers in your inventory against the conventional cobblegen - that way you get like 15 stacks of ready-to-sift gravel. Then just walk over to your sifter and hold the RMB down again.

Just make sure you're full hunger before you walk away from the computer!

As for upgrades go, the only real useful upgrade are to make them work faster (and consume way more energy). I feel like I'm in IC2 again.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 6, 2014

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Also remember that if you're in single player and you alt-tab out, the game will pause by default. If you want something to keep running in the background, open your inventory and THEN tab out. Or press F3+P to disable that feature.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

KingLemming posted:

Honestly, I'm very surprised that more mods haven't done fun stuff with the fluid API. Seems a waste. I may have to post source at some point to encourage people, but the base code I used is already in Forge. The rest is just window dressing.

I'm quite proud of pyrotheum though. :)

I had the thought of weapons/armor/items that instead of being charged up with RF, they're filled with liquid whatever in the transposer. A jetpack filled with energized glowstone, a ray gun filled with destabilized redstone, a teleportation device powered by resonant ender, water walking/freezing boots filled with cryotheum.

But, you know, :effort:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Honestly i'd love it if TE machines energized each other like AE ones do so long as they are connected somewhere to the grid. That'd be wonderful and i'm normally all for crazy pipe messes. :allears:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Bhodi posted:

Before you have your first auto-sifter, it's way more efficient to hold down your RMB with about 5 hammers in your inventory against the conventional cobblegen - that way you get like 15 stacks of ready-to-sift gravel. Then just walk over to your sifter and hold the RMB down again.

Just make sure you're full hunger before you walk away from the computer!

As for upgrades go, the only real useful upgrade are to make them work faster (and consume way more energy). I feel like I'm in IC2 again.

Hah! Overclockers are obvious. Some of the others have been on the right track though. Gotta think outside of the box. Or at least inside a 4 dimensional box.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So. Second time Agrarian Skies has crashed and taken my save with it.

Crash Report: http://pastebin.com/B19UuG9c
Forge Log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53120813/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log (because screw fighting to get it into multiple pastes)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

KingLemming posted:

Hah! Overclockers are obvious. Some of the others have been on the right track though. Gotta think outside of the box. Or at least inside a 4 dimensional box.
Well, you're the king of compatibility, so please make an omni-cable that transmits RF and AE and all the rest at the same time!

I take it back, having machines be able to share their power with adjacent machines would be helpful and is something I miss from IC2.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I'd love if TE machines could simply set the front face to input/output. It may look dumb with the animated side but it's hell trying to get a line of Fluid Transposers to be compact when I need Power, Fluid input, Item input, Output. At least the face takes power.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sunblood posted:

I'd love if TE machines could simply set the front face to input/output. It may look dumb with the animated side but it's hell trying to get a line of Fluid Transposers to be compact when I need Power, Fluid input, Item input, Output. At least the face takes power.

A "passthrough upgrade" that lets the machine itself conduct power to adjacent machines would be neat. Different levels to match the capacity of each energy conduit.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 6, 2014

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Factorization boilers are pretty neat in that you can stack them. They suck up water through the bottom of the stack, and push steam out through the top. You can have a stack 12 tall and only need 1 input and 1 output connection.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

President Ark posted:

A "passthrough upgrade" that lets the machine itself conduct power to adjacent machines would be neat. Different levels to match the capacity of each energy conduit.

A Passthrough upgrade would be great. It would dramatically simplify pipe-mazes if you had to provide power a big automated block in one or two places.

Maybe even make it so that machines that use pneumatic servos can provide an itty-bitty amount of free power if you give them the passthrough/conductance upgrade, something like maybe 0.5 RF/T to a single adjacent machine. Having a slow, but automated and power free Igneous Extruder + Pulverizer pair would be absolutely magical on Agrarian Skies during that whole "I'm far enough to start automating but redstone for power production/transfer is still rare and ruinously expensive" stage.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
On the more pie-in-the-sky hopes, i'd love for it to turn out that the upgraded TE machines are multiblock structures. Jamming a pulveriser into some kind of multiblock frame to get a significantly improved setup for example. I really like me some multiblock objects. :haw:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Thyrork posted:

On the more pie-in-the-sky hopes, i'd love for it to turn out that the upgraded TE machines are multiblock structures. Jamming a pulveriser into some kind of multiblock frame to get a significantly improved setup for example. I really like me some multiblock objects. :haw:

Placing Machine Frames around a machine and hitting with a crescent hammer adds more chambers to the machine

Imagine Mekanism factories except multiblock with outside inputs for specific chambers

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

Placing Machine Frames around a machine and hitting with a crescent hammer adds more chambers to the machine

Imagine Mekanism factories except multiblock with outside inputs for specific chambers

Imagine putting machines inside tesseracts. More and more. Dozens and hundreds and thousands of pulverizers dimensionally shifted into a nether space with huge jolts of RF. Until finally you go too far. Your machine shop creates a rift in spacetime and eldritch horrors start crawling out to terrorize your world.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Heffer posted:

Imagine putting machines inside tesseracts. More and more. Dozens and hundreds and thousands of pulverizers dimensionally shifted into a nether space with huge jolts of RF. Until finally you go too far. Your machine shop creates a rift in spacetime and eldritch horrors start crawling out to terrorize your world.

Now the next time I read Lovecraft I'm just going to imagine people going insane because they saw some Endermen hopping around while vibrating angrily with their mouths open.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Heffer posted:

Worse, the whole mess gains sentience from the ordeal.

"Are you my mother?" asks the igneous extruder.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Heffer posted:

Sounds like a new "For the Hoarding" quest to me. :unsmigghh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm really glad that every mod that utilizes the mysterious forces of The End ignore the fact that in a good ~90% of playthroughs there is a dragon rampaging around like an rear end in a top hat there the entire time.

It sounds like something GregTech would do actually. This machine uses THE POWER OF THE END to do its work! But it will fail 50% of the time, every time, until you kill the Ender Dragon and bring the average light level of the entire End up to 11.

It also explodes.

(you can't prevent that.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think stuff like void chests and using liquid end goo as reactor coolant is hilarious as it implies you are dumping unwanted items and radiation into the end somewhere. Now you know why the endermen are so pissed.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Vib Rib posted:

Oh man, upgradeable TE machines? That sounds choice. Though other than speed, and maybe an increased chance of secondary product for pulverizer/induction smelter, I don't know what else can really be added.

Reduced power consumption, emulation of the fortune enchant, not sure what else.

edit: oh, hello there page of posts I missed because I am a loving moron.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 6, 2014

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fortis posted:

I'm really glad that every mod that utilizes the mysterious forces of The End ignore the fact that in a good ~90% of playthroughs there is a dragon rampaging around like an rear end in a top hat there the entire time.

It sounds like something GregTech would do actually. This machine uses THE POWER OF THE END to do its work! But it will fail 50% of the time, every time, until you kill the Ender Dragon and bring the average light level of the entire End up to 11.

It also explodes.

(you can't prevent that.)

If you can get to The End you can kill the ender dragon. It requires like, a suit of iron armor and a few stacks of arrows. Or one well-upgraded bow with infinity on it. Also a good sword so you can kill endermen if they aggro. The ender dragon is not really that dangerous, it just takes a while to bring it down.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I bet king lemming would add a tesseract upgrade to a machine. Even if it's not a tesseract explicitly, like a frequency based item transmission upgrade.

I'm kind of surprised no one has done wireless power before.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 6, 2014

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Khorne posted:

I bet king lemming would add a tesseract upgrade to a machine. Even if it's not a tesseract explicitly, like a frequency based item transmission upgrade.

I'm kind of surprised no one has done wireless power before.

I just want tesla coils, wireless power with the added bonus of electrocution if you get too close

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I just want sounds, since my machinery rooms are all silent which sucks. The sounds are one of the things I liked about IC2, it made the block feel more like a machine than just a block that turns stuff into other stuff.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'd like sounds too, the gentle hum of generators and a softer "crunch" of the macerators would be pleasing. Sadly i'd expect any addition of sounds to TE to be met with fanboyish outrage from the lovers of IC2.

Speaking of, Did IC2 ever get better? Last i checked full on gregtechification had lead to fibreglass cables requiring 4 ground up diamonds per 4 pieces and other fiddly poo poo. :stare:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jblade posted:

I just want sounds, since my machinery rooms are all silent which sucks. The sounds are one of the things I liked about IC2, it made the block feel more like a machine than just a block that turns stuff into other stuff.
Mekanism has sounds. They're arguably pretty good sounds. The problem is there's no way to turn them off and they are annoying as heck after about 10 seconds. Especially the wind turbines and ore auto processing once you have a mining laser or quarry going. And hydrogen generators. They're fine when you are manually doing a stack or something, but once automation or perpetually being on comes into play the sounds need to go away.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've discovered that you can use leadstone conduits for ages and ages. If a machine needs more than 80RF/t, just plug in more than one side to your conduit network.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

McFrugal posted:

If you can get to The End you can kill the ender dragon. It requires like, a suit of iron armor and a few stacks of arrows. Or one well-upgraded bow with infinity on it. Also a good sword so you can kill endermen if they aggro. The ender dragon is not really that dangerous, it just takes a while to bring it down.

Oh, I never meant to imply that killing the dragon was anything but the easiest part. In fact, it's all easy; I'm more commenting on how impressed I am that more mods don't end up adding finding a stronghold, filling in the portal frame, and killing the dragon to their general tedium just because.

e:

Khorne posted:

Mekanism has sounds. They're arguably pretty good sounds. The problem is there's no way to turn them off and they are annoying as heck after about 10 seconds. Especially the wind turbines and ore auto processing once you have a mining laser or quarry going. And hydrogen generators. They're fine when you are manually doing a stack or something, but once automation or perpetually being on comes into play the sounds need to go away.

I think you can turn Mekanism sounds off in the config file. You can at least adjust the volume there.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
TE suggestion: Put fluid/item/power tesseracts back in the game. Maybe make them a bit cheaper than they used to be, and have alternate recipes for the UberTesseract using a combination of any of the three (plus a shiny ingot or whatever, since that's the new rare resource cost of them). Tesseracts are now a fairly late-game item and are still too expensive to throw about willy nilly like I did in my old saves. I've been using ender chests if I'm just transporting items, and have been placing a biofuel generator and an ender tank for when I need to transport power over long distances (to my tree farm area, mainly- it's ~10 chunks away from my base). A full modern tesseract is way overkill for those areas where I only want to transport one of the three types :)

I just had my game crash because I put down a tesseract and then plopped down my digital miner such that they were connected. The past couple times I've done this it's just crashed to the title screen and I could immediately jump back in... this time it didn't. Maybe because I was in the Nether instead of the overworld. I didn't have a backup of the world with my world seed or anything (bad BO! BAD!) so I have these hugeass chunk border fuckeries. Thankfully I remembered (most) of what I had in my inventory at the time of the crash and it only (only) took me ~10 minutes of creative flying and power glove ender teleport thing to find my castle again :| I now have three backups of my world. I should probably go ahead and update the pack while I'm at it.

Edit: VV I'm actually on NST Diet, not AS. I'm always slow to update whatever pack I'm playing because I get super frustrated when changes gently caress up existing stuff in my worlds. Which is why I'm damned proud of myself for powering through and fixing my world this afternoon instead of waiting for my husband to get home and do it for me :sigh:

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 6, 2014

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

BlueOccamy posted:

I just had my game crash because I put down a tesseract and then plopped down my digital miner such that they were connected. The past couple times I've done this it's just crashed to the title screen and I could immediately jump back in... this time it didn't. Maybe because I was in the Nether instead of the overworld. I didn't have a backup of the world with my world seed or anything (bad BO! BAD!) so I have these hugeass chunk border fuckeries. Thankfully I remembered (most) of what I had in my inventory at the time of the crash and it only (only) took me ~10 minutes of creative flying and power glove ender teleport thing to find my castle again :| I now have three backups of my world. I should probably go ahead and update the pack while I'm at it.

Since the latest(?) update I've not had a single world-deleting crash so thanks for that JadedCat!

I'm finally at the stage where I have a fully automated farm... I think. 3x3 squares of all the necessary food for the Hells Kitchen quest. I'm well on my way to automating gravel/sand/soul sand production (I know this should be early game stuff but I've been concentrating on other areas and just producing as and when I need). Quick question though, when does The End quest open up? I keep completing quests that say they open up other quests, which I'm assuming are on that line.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Someone help, I've created a monster!

Only 42.3 million to go. :suicide:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 6, 2014

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

BlueOccamy posted:

Edit: VV I'm actually on NST Diet, not AS. I'm always slow to update whatever pack I'm playing because I get super frustrated when changes gently caress up existing stuff in my worlds.

I will call out any such thing in the changelogs, either on the technicpack site for the mod (available from the technic launcher by clicking the globe icon under the modpack) or in the PGS thread here. If you ever get curious about what's in the updates, the easiest method of finding that is through the technicpack page for the modpack. In our most recent update (0.85) I managed to replace Redstone in Motion with a spin-off of it called Remain in Motion, without losing all of the carriages people had built :)

I will go to incredible lengths to make sure people keep stuff they've built, just ask any of the citizens on the Official server. In the end, it's time you've spent and things you've created and I should respect the effort and time you've put into it by making sure you get to keep it, whether you're in single-player or playing on a server with others.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Thyrork posted:

Honestly i'd love it if TE machines energized each other like AE ones do so long as they are connected somewhere to the grid. That'd be wonderful and i'm normally all for crazy pipe messes. :allears:
This would sure be nice. Most machines need input, output, and power lines, so 3 faces have to be covered already. At least transferring power would bring it down to 2.
And yeah, wireless connection would be good. You could sync blocks to a tesseract much the same way you sync wireless nodes to an AE system, by manually specifying the location for each block the first time. That way the machines don't have to 'search' a range which I imagine would cause a lot of lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm playing around with Rotarycraft and Resonant Induction and they are both so awesome I can't decide which I want to concentrate on since they both are so awesome. I was wondering if there is a way to combine them? even if not, do they produce power that can be stored and then used in other mods? I understand this is possible with resonant induction and atomic science since they are both part of UE, but I was wondering if rotarycraft could add its own magic to the mix.

• Locked thread