Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No but I got a rat having seizures at the moment, on top of starting a new job.

I'm dropping out, put me at the end of the list. I need to focus on my real life problems rather than video game problems.

Real life is important. I hope everything works out for you.

Funky Valentine you've got 2 days to claim the save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright, claimed it. Gonna start working on it tonight.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Good luck and HaShemspeed!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to put out a quick "how's the world doing?" update in a little bit. I...may see temporary solutions to our Seljuk and Roman problem.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm going to put out a quick "how's the world doing?" update in a little bit. I...may see temporary solutions to our Seljuk and Roman problem.

...Are you changing your religion? I will be very dissapointed if that happens! :P

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Amnistar posted:

...Are you changing your religion? I will be very dissapointed if that happens! :P

OOC: No, no. I said "temporary solution", not "fix literally every problem we have".

---------------------------------------------------------

Update 0: News of the World

Ah. Hello there. I am the Khan of Khazaria, refuge of the Jews, Khan Manar ben Tabghaç of House Bulanid.

I...apologize for the mess. My father's death has been...greatly affecting me. Between his passing and our subjugation of the Cumans, a day has not gone by where I sleep soundly.

...Oh! Would you like to see my maps? I simply adore maps. There's something rather...special, in seeing the world spread out before you. Don't you think? Ah, never you mind.

Here's the most recent map of my kingdom.

My ancestors have done quite right by us, wouldn't you say? Even after countless tragedies which have become routine for we Jews, the kingdom of Khazaria has soldiered on and prospered!

Shame about that odd enclave of ours to the northwest though. My father's cartographers made a typo it seems. I should really start making plans to fix that.

Here we have the endless pagan fiefdoms and tribes. Our generals and rabbis have told me that quick wars in the name of God against them should bolster Judaism's sway over the realm. I bet they have plenty of gold, yeah?

(OOC: Keep on truckin', Livonia)

The Romans. The damnable, blasphemous Romans. It is my dream - nay, the dream of every Khazar - to see their precious walls crumble to dust and have God ruin them like the Gomorrans they are. We are not strong enough to defeat them in a head-on fight - I am a realist, do not get the wrong impression - but their are...other ways to destroy an enemy. The current Empress is in the middle of a revolt, and her son is merely a child. A child of a different dynasty, at that! If the good Empress were to have an accident, well...

Here is a map of central Europe. Bastion of the Christian goyim. This map in particular was made very recently, as the squabbling between the descendants of Charles the Frank has the borders change almost daily.

Iberia. The site of constant struggle between the Mohametans and the Christians. The Umayyad Caliphate is but a shadow of it's former glory now, beaten back by the Francians and Holy Orders.

I'm going to level with you. We have have no idea what is actually going on with the isles of Britain. Quite frankly, I myself don't want to know.

The Seljuks. The hated Seljuks. They stole our path to the Tomb of Esther. They humiliated us on the battle field. And they will get theirs.

Oh, they will get theirs...Them and the Romans. They will learn not to trifle with God's Chosen People.

...Well, our subjects are gradually learning to follow the correct path. A few more conquests, and they will start seeing the truth.

Oh! Look the the time. My coronation is soon, I had better prepare myself - look presentable and all that. Shall you join us in the festivities?

You will? Good! Head down to the dining hall. I hear Binyamin the chef is preparing a grand feast for the entire county!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If things go right for us, we can strangle the Holy Roman Empire in its crib. That'd be amazing.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Honestly I don't see the HRE forming with the current way things are looking. MAYBE if something happens to East Francia's kings and the succession eventually falls to West Francia's king....but other than that it seems unlikely.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
I've had the HRE form on me when I owned all of East Francia and Bavaria was owned by my the Romuva Holy Order. It can happen still.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In my first Old Gods playthrough I watched East and West Francia switch sides constantly. (ie, East was West and vice versa)Then it stopped because they ended up becoming regular Francia and then I quit that game because gently caress the Karlings.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's odd. Usually Italy's been swallowed up by one of the Francia's or Lotharingia by now.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

It's odd. Usually Italy's been swallowed up by one of the Francia's or Lotharingia by now.

I've found that it entirely depends upon who gets stabby, who has kids, and who has to deal with revolts. And with West Francia's attention being diverted by Iberia...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I thik you're all missing the most important thing:

Frisia.

:allears:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Amnistar, are you going to fix the regnal dates in the initial post?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

Amnistar, are you going to fix the regnal dates in the initial post?

regnal?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

"Of or relating to a King." Technically the second post. If you look at the dates in the second post, they don't match up in some places and are incomplete in others. Possible corrections are noted below in bold.

Khan Manar of Khazaria - Funky Valentine : 23 January 985 - ???

Previous Rulers
Khan Manasseh II the Just of Khazaria - Amnistar : 1 January, 867 - 29? January, 897

Khan Manasseh III the Dragon of Khazaria - AJ_Impy : 29 January, 897 - 3 November, 942

Khan Yerneslu I the Careless of Khazaria - CapnAndy : 3 November 942? - 27 July 966

Khan Tabghaç I the Wise of Khazaria - ulmont : 27? July 966 - 23 January 985

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Done. Copy past is not always your friend.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

it begins

Update 1: Adjustments and Preparations

The traditional shiva for my father has been sat. I have been properly coronated.

The rituals are over. I must now begin the practical side to running a kingdom.

Starting with ending the Cumans!

My new vassals have been surprisingly useful; siegeing down Ishim and pursuing any straggling armies.

Meanwhile, my personal forces plus the mercenary corp my father hired lay waste to Tobol.

This is a simple war. I'm certain the Cuman king will give up the ghost in due time.

Less simple, however, are my political issues.

The Duke of Abkhazia is the only one of my vassals who did not meet my ascension with praise. He leads three whole factions against me (all for seemingly contradictory goals, granted.) They're weak now, but I must be on my toes if they start to fester.

Vassals are not quick to trust a new ruler, I may have to be liberal with my gifts.

To counteract this, I sent my skilled Chancellor Kibar to entreat Duke Abkhazia.

I also enacted some legal reforms that should make the vassals warm up to me faster.

I put my son's name into the nomination ballot for my successor. The electors (which only encompass the Dukes of core Khazaria; that will need to be rectified somehow) have their own candidate, but I am sure that as Menumarot matures they will come around.

The mercenary corp that my father - bless him - hired has been indeed very useful, but the sellswords are putting a drain on our treasury.

I decided to raise the tax burden on the burghers and mayors, because quite frankly no one cares what they think. The Grand Mayor of Manasseh actually liked me better for doing this.

To buy myself a new ally at little cost to myself, I usurped the Duchy of Kiev (which was owned by some fool who didn't actually own any land their) and gave it to...the rabbi duke.

Apparently someone set up a theocracy on the frontier of our kingdom. This...requires some explanation. I'll search my ancestor's records as soon as I can.

Ah! The siege of Tobol has been complete!

And my daughter is growing up to be a lovely lovely girl!

And the Cuman king gave up!

This has been a grand series of events! Why, I feel so festive...

...that I feel like making our borders beautiful!

-----------------

OOC: No, seriously, how did we get a theocracy running around?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

:( Why did you give up Kiev? It is the best province, 6 whole subholdings! Augh!

There was an inland republic that I recall. I don't remember a Rabbi though. I palmed off the other holdings, and kept Kiev and our capital holdings (before it crashed on me)

Edit: My recommendations is to rename the Duchy of Ugra (you can form/steal it) and Yugra (when you take it).
Sans-Care was the suggestion for Ugra from the previous ruler.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2014

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Remember, you HAVE to rename one, but feel free to rename more :)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm certainly renaming whichever Empire I form first (read: Tartaria.)

Ugra will get renamed, sure. Will probably rename Itil to something.

Veloxyll posted:

:( Why did you give up Kiev? It is the best province, 6 whole subholdings! Augh!
The Rabbi was very persuasive.

Also I really don't like to have my personal crap on the frontiers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dude crop your pictures so we're not squinting at the 100 pixels worth of image that are important against a giant fuckoff map, please

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Veloxyll posted:

It doesn't matter. We'll be ruling from Constantinople soon enough.

CapnAndy posted:

Dude crop your pictures so we're not squinting at the 100 pixels worth of image that are important against a giant fuckoff map, please

Also this. Capn, can you go yell at the guy in the tutorial thread for the same thing?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Funky Valentine posted:

OOC: No, seriously, how did we get a theocracy running around?

It is a legacy of the Dragon: He set up someone to ponder the imponderables during The time of Holy Wars, about late 915-early 916.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Is there any point to theocracies, actually? Do they increase your religious authority or are they more effective at converting vassals or something?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jolan posted:

Is there any point to theocracies, actually? Do they increase your religious authority or are they more effective at converting vassals or something?

If they don't conspire with dukes, that might be enough. Also, they pay taxes, unlike dukes!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
They are essentially the perfect vassals because they just sit there and pay taxes. Which is why you can only have one. (I think.)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

They are essentially the perfect vassals because they just sit there and pay taxes. Which is why you can only have one. (I think.)

No, they can own 10% of your realm, or something like that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Amnistar posted:

Remember, you HAVE to rename one, but feel free to rename more :)

I *think* that not having the Customization DLC is what caused that last gently caress-up FYI. We might have to drop that rule if the save file crashes next time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I *think* that not having the Customization DLC is what caused that last gently caress-up FYI. We might have to drop that rule if the save file crashes next time.

Might be worth waiting until the current player is done, saving, and only then putting in customizations before saving again.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

We would have to go back to before anyone renamed anything if that is causing problems.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Amnistar posted:

We would have to go back to before anyone renamed anything if that is causing problems.

That's what we did. The version Funky Valentine has came from the version I uploaded with no customization.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

ulmont posted:

That's what we did. The version Funky Valentine has came from the version I uploaded with no customization.

Really? That's unfortunate, I was hoping we could do more flavor things like that, ah well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've got two saves - one before the customizations and one with them.

...I've been playing the customized one, gently caress.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you have the customization DLC? It might only affect non-DLC havers.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I have the customization DLC.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

If it's working for you, that's actually good.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

ulmont posted:

If it's working for you, that's actually good.

Just means that we might require people to have customization DLC to play.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Amnistar posted:

In which case ##Add me to the list as I have all the DLC (apart form the bogus unit packs, songs, etc.) and I suspect some others may not.

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Amnistar posted:

I'm not particularly sad about this if it means I get more chances as a result. ;)

• Locked thread