Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Banshee is fun, but put alongside Justified it comes out looking awful. Also the lead actor has a weird head.

Like somebody kicked in his forehead, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Banshee is fun, but put alongside Justified it comes out looking awful. Also the lead actor has a weird head.

Take that back.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My in-universe explanation is that he spent time deliberately wearing a misshapen metal crown as an adolescent, with the goal of confusing women (via his cranial paradox) into sleeping with him. I find it gives a context in which the show makes more sense.

Brain damage also explains his character's other behaviour.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I have stalled in finishing Fringe (she's not so into the dystopian future setting of the fifth season), but we're halfway through True Detective, and I am loving it. Everything from the cinematography to the bleak Louisiana setting to the GORGEOUS theme song by the Handsome Family, it feels like a show that was made for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most recently, I finished The X-Files. I'm watching seaQuest 2032 at the moment; it seems like an interesting change of pace from the first two seasons. It was cancelled halfway through the season so it's pretty short; only thirteen episodes in all. Still, I like it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I binge watched Nikita up to the middle of the third season a while back, and just recently picked it back up. Holy shitballs is this show the craziest thing on television. They manage to kill off the antagonist halfway into season 2 while taking a side character and turning her into a magnificently psychotic bitch who is about a hundred times scarier than the big bad guy. Seriously the back half of season 3 is so hosed up, like everyone is just a broken person, it's amazing. :suspense:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

WarLocke posted:

I binge watched Nikita up to the middle of the third season a while back, and just recently picked it back up. Holy shitballs is this show the craziest thing on television. They manage to kill off the antagonist halfway into season 2 while taking a side character and turning her into a magnificently psychotic bitch who is about a hundred times scarier than the big bad guy. Seriously the back half of season 3 is so hosed up, like everyone is just a broken person, it's amazing. :suspense:

Having seen Nikita, reading your post put a giant grin on my face :)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Reign is the weirdest thing I've been watching in a long time. It's some deviant mix of Disney and Game of Thrones, half the time I'm either mesmerized by all the backstabbing, political maneuvering and sex, half the time its sappier then a five-dollar romance novel. It's surprisingly entertaining.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WarLocke posted:

Is that the series from a few years back, or the more recent one? I heard it was kinda eh. Guessing it kicked up in season 2?

Gorkounov
Apr 23, 2014
I binge watched Sherlock recently. It's such an addicting show but terribly low in quantity having only 3 episodes a season (1.5 hrs each episode).

Of course I started watching Mad Men about one and a half weeks ago and I'm on Season 3 Finale.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is that the series from a few years back, or the more recent one? I heard it was kinda eh. Guessing it kicked up in season 2?

The Maggie Q one, not the old(er) USA(?) one with Petra whatever. Yeah, it really picks up in season 2 and the gas never lets off. :stare:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Been binging through Prison Break over the last week. It's been on my radar for awhile, and I'm glad I finally got to it.

I'm a sucker for both "innocent guy gets framed" and "elaborate/ridiculous conspiracy goes all the way to the top" stories, so this is extra fun for me. I like most of the characters too, but the show definitely slows down when it goes outside the prison (at least up until the last one I watched).

It's been awhile since I saw a show where after every episode I say that I'll just watch one more. Then three episodes later...

(I just want to see T-Bag get what's coming to him. :argh:)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

NeuroticLich posted:

Been binging through Prison Break over the last week. It's been on my radar for awhile, and I'm glad I finally got to it.

I'm a sucker for both "innocent guy gets framed" and "elaborate/ridiculous conspiracy goes all the way to the top" stories, so this is extra fun for me. I like most of the characters too, but the show definitely slows down when it goes outside the prison (at least up until the last one I watched).

It's been awhile since I saw a show where after every episode I say that I'll just watch one more. Then three episodes later...

(I just want to see T-Bag get what's coming to him. :argh:)

I envy you! I wish I was watching it for the first time because the first season is one of the most fun first seasons of anything, ever. I enjoyed the series the whole way through until the end which is probably a minority opinion here. Like you, I'm a complete sucker for totally off the rails conspiracy poo poo, and I have a fascination for prison culture so the show really appeals to me.

T-Bag was loving awesome, and Bellick was probably my second favorite character. Spoiler tagging the following because I know if it was spoiled for me the first time I watched I'd be upset, but the scene in S4E9 or E10, can't quite recall) where T-Bag gives a speech honoring Bellick after he died had me tearing up. Also, if you're looking for some closure on a certain character after the series is over, check out the Breakout Kings S1E3 episode which is about T-Bag.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 1, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Prison Break also has Michael Rappaport with one of the greatest TV disses of all time: "You whore! You're a whore, and your mother, and her mother, and your father used to turn tricks at a gas station, 'cause he was a whore too." It's not particularly clever, but it just comes out of loving nowhere.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Coffee And Pie posted:

Prison Break also has Michael Rappaport with one of the greatest TV disses of all time: "You whore! You're a whore, and your mother, and her mother, and your father used to turn tricks at a gas station, 'cause he was a whore too." It's not particularly clever, but it just comes out of loving nowhere.

Haha, what episode was that? He was a great addition to the cast as was William Fichtner. I'll watch those dudes in anything.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

I envy you! I wish I was watching it for the first time because the first season is one of the most fun first seasons of anything, ever. I enjoyed the series the whole way through until the end which is probably a minority opinion here. Like you, I'm a complete sucker for totally off the rails conspiracy poo poo, and I have a fascination for prison culture so the show really appeals to me.

T-Bag was loving awesome, and Bellick was probably my second favorite character.

T-Bag and Bellick are two guys I love to hate, but they're also the two most interesting characters I've seen so far. Is there a general consensus that the later seasons aren't as good? Either way, at this point I've gotta see how all of this ends.

And I'm not clicking a single one of those black bars until I've seen this show the whole way through. I'll definitely come back to these after I've seen the whole series though!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently binging through Sliders.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

NeuroticLich posted:

T-Bag and Bellick are two guys I love to hate, but they're also the two most interesting characters I've seen so far. Is there a general consensus that the later seasons aren't as good? Either way, at this point I've gotta see how all of this ends.

And I'm not clicking a single one of those black bars until I've seen this show the whole way through. I'll definitely come back to these after I've seen the whole series though!

I really felt like Season 4 has a great first half-- where every episode becomes a mini-heist. But the last few episodes are very...uh.... not good. It also contains one of the biggest "McGuffin" plots I've ever seen in a single show/movie. Get used to hearing the word "Scylla" a lot. It just has some really lame twists in the last string of episodes.

Don't forget to watch the DTV Movie.

That takes place right when the finale is going to end, ... and two minutes before the finale ends :v:. In all seriousness, it makes up for the lame few episodes, and really does cap off the series nicely.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pahuyuth posted:

the Breakout Kings S1E3 episode which is about T-Bag.

Robert Knepper only agreed to reprise the character as long he wasn't killed off.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

I really felt like Season 4 has a great first half-- where every episode becomes a mini-heist. But the last few episodes are very...uh.... not good. It also contains one of the biggest "McGuffin" plots I've ever seen in a single show/movie. Get used to hearing the word "Scylla" a lot. It just has some really lame twists in the last string of episodes.

Don't forget to watch the DTV Movie.

That takes place right when the finale is going to end, ... and two minutes before the finale ends :v:. In all seriousness, it makes up for the lame few episodes, and really does cap off the series nicely.

That's a little disappointing to hear about season 4, but good to know. I'll definitely check out the movie after I finish with the series.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Seasons 1 of Drunk History is on Amazon Prime right now and my god it is glorious.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
A friend told me about a series called 'party down'.
It's already a couple of years old, and I had never heard of it so I didn't expect much of it.
But I have to say I really like it.
The characters are all a bit stereotypical and it's all very predictable, but it's also great fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Party Down is so goddamn fantastic. The first season is still funny as poo poo but season 2 really steps it up. It might be in my top 10 TV comedies.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've finally been catching up to Arrested Development on Netflix and in episode 7, when Gob is staring into space and "hello darkness, my old friend..." started playing, oh Lord, I laughed my rear end off. It's the perfect joke, because the audience knows what he should've/would've said at that point, but didn't. Instead, we got a nostalgia song and a new joke. Beautiful, just beautiful. This show is amazing.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

empty sea posted:

I've finally been catching up to Arrested Development on Netflix and in episode 7, when Gob is staring into space and "hello darkness, my old friend..." started playing, oh Lord, I laughed my rear end off. It's the perfect joke, because the audience knows what he should've/would've said at that point, but didn't. Instead, we got a nostalgia song and a new joke. Beautiful, just beautiful. This show is amazing.

That joke made all the bad parts of Season 4 worth it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

empty sea posted:

"Oh, it's not us".

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Bown posted:

Party Down is so goddamn fantastic. The first season is still funny as poo poo but season 2 really steps it up. It might be in my top 10 TV comedies.

It really is a great show.
I watched the two seasons in 4 days. Shame it got canceled.
Everybody who loves shows like parks and recreation will enjoy this a lot (and not just because they share an actor).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Still on my Sliders binge; I'm now halfway through season three, which means I'm well into the "what popular movie can we copy this week?" phase of the series (most recently, Tremors, of all things).

It's still fun, though. I still enjoy it. I'm aware that John Rhys-Davies is killed off in the next couple of episodes which is a bit disappointing, but we shall have to see where it goes from there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally getting through Battlestar Galactica (yay, Netflix and Chromecast), just over halfway through season 3. I've heard mostly bad things about how it ended so I'm curious how it ends up.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I don't want to get into a big thing about it here, but I don't think it was as bad as most people will tell you. You should just keep going and form your own opinion on it without any of us clouding your judgement. Even if you don't like the ending it's still pretty much good TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you can sit through The Woman King or the lovely boxing episode then the finale is no problem.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's cool, good to know. I just finished The Woman King (still don't know what the title was about) and the boxing episode was earlier today...the soap opera stuff isn't really interesting to me but it's a change from the 'oh no where are we going to get attacked from next' so I can put up with it. At least I don't have to wait a week after a slow episode!

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

krushgroove posted:

That's cool, good to know. I just finished The Woman King (still don't know what the title was about) and the boxing episode was earlier today...the soap opera stuff isn't really interesting to me but it's a change from the 'oh no where are we going to get attacked from next' so I can put up with it. At least I don't have to wait a week after a slow episode!

You have no idea how annoying it was to follow that show live. :argh: writers strike :argh:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Daktari posted:

:argh: writers strike :argh:

Ah yes! Forgot all about that - what run of episodes was affected with that?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
nm

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Ah yes! Forgot all about that - what run of episodes was affected with that?

I didn't realize that Battlestar Galactica related content was one of the main reasons for the writer's strike:

Wikipedia posted:

Moore was quite vocal about the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America strike, as his Battlestar Galactica series was one of the major flashpoints leading to the strike. Starting in August 2006, the Writers Guild ordered production to cease on the Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance series of webisodes which had been produced as a link between the show's second and third seasons. Tension over this would last throughout the third season. Battlestar Galactica was, along with other popular series such as Lost and Heroes, one of the shows at the forefront of the debate over "new media" revenues, as the series is extensively downloaded from iTunes and recoups much of its production costs from high DVD sales as opposed to direct ratings. It was also among the most heavily time-shifted series on television, which the Nielsen ratings system does not count.

Moore's directorial debut was scheduled to be the first episode of Battlestar Galactica following the final season's mid-season cliffhanger, which he would also have written. Though the writers' strike did halt production on the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica, work did resume[13] and the show concluded on March 20, 2009. When the Writers Guild began their strike, Moore felt it was inappropriate to continue to communicate to fans using the "official" blog he maintained on the Scifi Channel website. As a result, he chose to start a personal website and blog, rondmoore.com, so that he could continue to freely comment on the situation without violating the terms of his membership in the Writers Guild.[citation needed] When the strike ended, Moore continued his commentary via his personal web site and blog

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

krushgroove posted:

I just finished The Woman King (still don't know what the title was about)

The woman who brought all this to Helo's attention? Her name was Portia King. So the title refers to the woman, King. Yeah.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was such a terrible episode, they couldn't even think of a halfway decent title.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
edit: oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Leverage, and while the whole series was very entertaining, the final episode just sort of...ended. I get that it was cancelled but I heard that this ending was sort of planned in advance so it seemed kind of weird. Pretty good show though.