Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It helps that Sazh is the most level-headed of the party, too.

Something I'm liking about Sazh so far is that, although he's the guy who's left with the "Wait. You know this is an awful idea?" and "Are you sure about this" style lines, he's not going against every plan or going into fatalistic whining.

He just wants to take the best approach to a given problem. Meanwhile, Lightning tries to sound badass in response to every single thing anyone says and calls Sazh racist when he goes "Uh, you know that there's no cure for Fa'ciel, right? Might want to think how you're going to deal with that if a miracle doesn't come up or something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Bregor posted:

Yeah, I'll agree with you based on what we've seen so far. But I hope (puns!) people are keeping an open mind moving forward.

As for Sazh, yeah, he really shines in the first act. I think for all of the main characters there are moments when they demand the player's focus (oh God why can't I stop with the puns) and you could say they are the most likeable. Except Snow. gently caress Snow.

I've actually played about 20 hours of this game before finally giving up and returning the drat thing. I've seen some, though not all of the major developments Hope goes through and I still kinda hate him. I'll grant that it's entirely possible that Hope has some amazing plot moments down the line, but when I put the game down I was just so far beyond caring. The problem is that even if the characters become more nuanced and relatable down the line, they still have to fight through the horrible first impression that the game has already established.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

He just wants to take the best approach to a given problem. Meanwhile, Lightning tries to sound badass in response to every single thing anyone says and calls Sazh racist when he goes "Uh, you know that there's no cure for Fa'ciel, right? Might want to think how you're going to deal with that if a miracle doesn't come up or something."

Tries to be badass is what seems to sum up Lightning best here. She just comes out as an rear end in a top hat at best and a too-cool-for-you Mary Sue at worst.
That being said, according to the thread the writing will somehow get worse in the sequels so there's something to look forward to I guess?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

Tries to be badass is what seems to sum up Lightning best here. She just comes out as an rear end in a top hat at best and a too-cool-for-you Mary Sue at worst.
That being said, according to the thread the writing will somehow get worse in the sequels so there's something to look forward to I guess?

They don't get worse exactly, just entirely more incomprehensible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The really sad thing?

With the flashbacks they hint at something that could work. Lightning's really awkward, and it's the first time in years she's been without a command structure telling her what to do.

So, simple answer. Lightning's trying to sound badass because she has no idea what in the hell she's doing, and she's playing a part so nobody guesses.

Problem is, that's pretty much Snow's niche too. Could build up some parallels, maybe make something of that, but it'd be trickier to keep the arcs distinct.

Also, it would require at least a few moments where Lightning isn't being 100% the coolest your new favorite isn't she great, so not happening in the FFXIII series.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The issue is that while Lightning starts out ahead on the whole 'I am a soldier and therefore good in combat' thing, being a l'cie can make up for a lack of practical experience. By the time you get to the endgame everyone is more or less equal with strengths and weaknesses in different areas, and they all get their time to shine in the plot and 'be badass', except maybe Vanille. This apparently wasn't the intended goal, because in the sequels they crank Lightning from "Badass also-ran" all the way up to "Untouchable Perfect Mary-sue".

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's so incredibly frustrating because I want to like Lightning. A female lead in a big AAA video game? And she doesn't have a hokey love story to go with her? Sign me the gently caress up, we need some more of those.

But no, like everything else in this game she's entirely one-note, and that note is "super kewl stoic badass" :sigh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i know it was quite a while ago that he did this, but watching a SpoonyOne video reminded me that he had reviewed this game! I won't link to review because it has spoilers in it (plus the first 2-3 parts are him just being loving nitpicky), but it reminded me that i read in the now defunct Spoonywatch thread (back when his mental breakdown and leaving of Channel Awesome was the hottest internet news) that apparently he wanted to the Harry Plinkett Star Wars thing where he would have people describe a character without actually saying their name or their job description, thus proving a point that these characters are terrible.

But unfortunately for him people actually COULD describe these characters using these restrictions so he had to throw out that whole bit of the review and he got a little mad about it on twitter.

It was either that or he wanted to do that same thing but with the music in some way? I don't really remember exactly unfortunately.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i know it was quite a while ago that he did this, but watching a SpoonyOne video reminded me that he had reviewed this game! I won't link to review because it has spoilers in it (plus the first 2-3 parts are him just being loving nitpicky), but it reminded me that i read in the now defunct Spoonywatch thread (back when his mental breakdown and leaving of Channel Awesome was the hottest internet news) that apparently he wanted to the Harry Plinkett Star Wars thing where he would have people describe a character without actually saying their name or their job description, thus proving a point that these characters are terrible.

But unfortunately for him people actually COULD describe these characters using these restrictions so he had to throw out that whole bit of the review and he got a little mad about it on twitter.

It was either that or he wanted to do that same thing but with the music in some way? I don't really remember exactly unfortunately.

Sounds really shortsighted.
The point of the exercise wasn't that it was a watermark for if something is good or bad, it was to show the phantom menace characters in particular are nonentities with no personal appeal, no personality.

xiii's characters do have personality. Very one note one dimensional personalities, one trait each that they each adhere to almost robotically, but that still passes the test.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rita Repulsa posted:

Sounds really shortsighted.
The point of the exercise wasn't that it was a watermark for if something is good or bad, it was to show the phantom menace characters in particular are nonentities with no personal appeal, no personality.

xiii's characters do have personality. Very one note one dimensional personalities, one trait each that they each adhere to almost robotically, but that still passes the test.

A much better explanation that i gave! I've not seen the review in a long time, but i knew it was something to do with the characters and that's about it :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We recorded commentary for the next two videos today, but I wouldn't expect anything until Friday at the earliest. On the plus side, it'll be another Eidolon fight, and I know you guys will be excited for that! :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I am so excited for the Bahamut brothers turning into a little tricycle for Hope!

That is a thing isn't it? I wish it were.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
In a game filled with ridiculous Eidolon transformations, Hope's stands alone at the top of the pile. You can not even begin to guess how stupid his is (nor will we see it first-hand until Chapter 11, so you'll have plenty of examples to compare it to).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I don't know how much more you would want me to say about it but his is the only one that is unique to this game right? I can't think of any other appearances off the top of my head anyway. But like you said, there's plenty of time for ridiculousness so i'll just leave it at that.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I don't know how much more you would want me to say about it but his is the only one that is unique to this game right? I can't think of any other appearances off the top of my head anyway. But like you said, there's plenty of time for ridiculousness so i'll just leave it at that.
Hope's is one of the more often seen ones in Final Fantasy, actually (9, for instance). I think I'll also just leave it at that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I do not see how you could get stupider than snow's mechanical impropriety

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

LifeSquare Enix finds a way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Aside from two games, Hope's has appeared in literally every main numbered Final Fantasy game before this since IV.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 7, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh good, that means we're at the point where I stopped.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aside from two games, Hope's has appeared in literally every main numbered Final Fantasy game before this since IV.

He sort of appears in XII, as much as any summon appears in XII.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"Every main game since IV"? I'm guessing it's Alexander.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Wales Grey posted:

"Every main game since IV"? I'm guessing it's Alexander.

Alexander is too cool for Hope. There's no way he deserves a giant living castle with orbital lasers as his spirit buddy who also tries to kill him. My money's on Carbuncle.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's the spirit of "that one combat mechanic that was supposed to be amazing and revolutionary, but you hate it so much you declare the Final Fantasy series dead forever until you find yourself waiting in line for the midnight launch of the next one". The only part I won't spoil for you is the name.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cattail Prophet posted:

Alexander is too cool for Hope. There's no way he deserves a giant living castle with orbital lasers as his spirit buddy who also tries to kill him. My money's on Carbuncle.

Please let it be Gilgamesh. The perfect foil for the angsty teenager.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

anilEhilated posted:

Please let it be Gilgamesh. The perfect foil for the angsty teenager.

He dresses Hope as a dog and calls him Enkidu :downs:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh yes, he'll use that move "Fly, Enkidu!" from 12, and then given this is ATB he'll throw Hope at the enemies multiple times in the spanw of a view seconds.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm a bit surprised you're all trying to figure out which Eidolon Hope has in Chapter 11 rather than guessing which one appears in the next update.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There are actually two Eidolons unique to this game - Sazh's and Vanille's.

Sazh's is the best.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Good news: Editing is done way ahead of schedule and there'll be an update later tonight.

Bad news: I somehow deleted the source footage for the video, so I'm going to have to use the quick and dirty encode that I use when we do commentary. It's not going to look as pretty as usual, but it's not unwatchable (until Youtube has its way with it, at least) so it'll have to do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 10: Abandon Hope (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Lightning's Theme

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Eden or Bust

Lightning makes a decision.

The Pulse fal'Cie transformed her and Serah into l'Cie. The Sanctum fal'Cie, Eden, directs the army hunting her down.

Pulse or Sanctum, 'fal'Cie' means one thing to Lightning: an enemy responsible for ruining their lives. A clear-cut enemy is something she can deal with. Having a target is something she can understand.

The former soldier means to infiltrate the Sanctum capital, and take out the fal'Cie Eden.

She knows her plan is reckless. It could be disastrous for Cocoon, and flies in the face of Serah's last wish. It could even end in battle against Snow, who will do anything to save Cocoon. But it is the only path that will satisfy her rage.

Sazh and Vanille oppose her idea, but Hope embraces the opportunity. This is his chance to grow stronger and finally confront Snow.

Lightning is done running away.

Now she runs forward, her mind set on toppling the Sanctum. But even Lightning cannot foresee how this journey will end...

quote:

Thunderous Hooves

Hope makes a choice to fight alongside Lightning, but quickly finds himself exhausted by the pace.

Lightning grows ever more agitated. Their enemy is the Sanctum army. She cannot afford to look after the straggling Hope while she faces such a dangerous foe. Losing all patience, Lightning curses his weakness and tries to leave him behind.

In that moment, her l'Cie brand burns with radiant pain.

As if to strike down obstacles in Lightning's path, the Eidolon Odin appears and attacks the bewildered Hope.

Lightning moves without thinking. She blocks the deadly blade aimed at the boy she meant to abandon moments before.

Lightning defeats Odin, and brings the entity under her command. Why did the Eidolon appear in the first place?

There is no answer to her question, but one thing is certain: she no longer wishes to leave Hope to survive on his own.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm starting to get the impression that Hope hates Snow. :v:

Also, despite the Eidolon transformations in this game being rather silly, I do like Lightning's Gestalt Mode.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, Light(ning) said that she will toughen Hope up near the end.

But the game told us that moms are tough.

Does that mean she is going to turn Hope into a mom?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

So, Light(ning) said that she will toughen Hope up near the end.

But the game told us that moms are tough.

Does that mean she is going to turn Hope into a mom?
Well, note that she said "we". This means that Lightning's plan probably involves throwing Odin at Hope repeatedly.

Or something along those lines.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, Lightning talking about how the team might be enemies next time they meet just made me think of this game where she actually is your enemy and you can give her exactly what she deserves for being such an annoying rear end in a top hat. Alas, that will never happen because Square-Enix is madly in love with her.

I know that it was pointed out in the video that the minigame was kind of out of place for FFXIII but my reasons for it are different: that looked actually fun. Like, they had an actually good idea with actual good execution, a moment that was neither grimdark nor stupid cheerful Vanille-style, but a part that was genuinely fun in both atmosphere and gameplay. It will never happen again, and that saddens me.

Praising the one thing everyone has, holy poo poo this game is pretty. That Odin summon might be the most beautiful one I've seen in the entire series. Light slashing her crystal then having that massive, complex, beautiful summon circle appear and then Odin was just so nice! Reminded me of Persona for a moment. You know, a far better game than this piece of poo poo. But as piece of poo poo it is, I can say that whoever designed that sequence has my respect. I hope the other summon sequences are as pretty too, at least that way I can think that there's one (and only one) thing this game does well!

...That said, transforming into Sleipnir is really loving stupid and that transformation looked lame as hell. Also I don't like Odin's design much, nor the weird-rear end dual-edged Zantetsuken, but that might be just an old-time fan protesting change, and it's really minor either way in comparison to how badly this game fucks up everything else.

And talking about Zantetsuken, nice spinning there Lightning. Good to know that the strongest attack at the player's disposal is Top Spin. Also, Dissidia adapted these attacks really well, so props to a far, far better game. That still suffered from having Lightning in it.

Small detail, but I just noticed how Auto-battle changes to Auto-heal as a MED and Auto-chain as a RAV. It's pointless but neat.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, note that she said "we". This means that Lightning's plan probably involves throwing Odin at Hope repeatedly.

Or something along those lines.
Time for a training montage!

-cuts to Hope getting pummeled by Odin forever-

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

And talking about Zantetsuken, nice spinning there Lightning. Good to know that the strongest attack at the player's disposal is Top Spin. Also, Dissidia adapted these attacks really well, so props to a far, far better game. That still suffered from having Lightning in it.

Lightning wasn't really all that bad in Dissidia, though.

Besides, she got killed off at the end of it, so it seems like you'd be happy about that, at least.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the degree to which people despise an at worse, boring character, is pretty funny

I hope Lightning cameos in every FF from here on out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That really is depressing that the game includes a minigame that actually looks vaguely fun (and that could've easily been expanded a bit to be really fun) lasts about 40 seconds and is never used again. This game so desperately needs that sort of variety.

People praise the balance in this game, but having gimmick fights where, even knowing exactly what you're supposed to do before even starting the fight, you can still easily lose seems poorly done.

And while I can't roll my eyes hard enough at the whole Transformers summons thing, I don't particularly mind Odin turning into a horse. What I DO mind is that he didn't turn into Final Fantasy's traditional Sleipnir, which has 6 legs (the original Sleipnir from mythology has 8 legs, but the one in FF suffers from cutbacks).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, at least it makes sense that Odin is the biggest dick ever. Of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Regarding the minigame, and because I was dumb enough to buy a guide to the game when I first got it...

There's a gil reward for killing a certain number of enemies with the sweeping blow move, and there's an item reward for total number of kills.

Kills with Sweeping Blow:

40+: 999 Gil
25-39: 300 Gil
24 or less: 100 Gil

Total Kills:

35+: Spark Ring
25-35: Thickened Hide (x20)
24 or less: Sturdy Bone (x10)

• Locked thread