Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Did they ever produce any Zanscare kits besides the 1/144 Abigor? Some of these head designs are absolutely gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

everythingWasBees posted:

Did they ever produce any Zanscare kits besides the 1/144 Abigor?

In 1/144 scale:

- Tomliat
- Zoloat
- Contio
- Shy-Tarn
- Zollidia
- Rig Shockew

It's a spotty lineup and the kits are pretty bad.

There'a also a 1/100 Zollidia that's fairly decent for a 20-year-old thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a shame nobody used the Einerad in the Gundam Build Fighters race episode. A model of one of those big enough to fit most 1/100 mobile suits would've been great.

VVV I'm blind (or maybe my subconscious just wishes it'd done better)! All I remembered was the tank and the squid.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 7, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a shame nobody used the Einerad in the Gundam Build Fighters race episode. A model of one of those big enough to fit most 1/100 mobile suits would've been great.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
GundamGuy's got pictures of the prototype mold for the HG Zssa. I preordered mine just off the backpack alone, then it only got better when I discovered it has more missiles concealed in the chest and legs :allears:

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GundamGuy's got pictures of the prototype mold for the HG Zssa. I preordered mine just off the backpack alone, then it only got better when I discovered it has more missiles concealed in the chest and legs :allears:

Curious as to whether the missiles are plastic bits on red runners that go into grooves in the tubes.

Looks pretty stout and mean though, will look into it more seriously when the coloured mould is up. I hope Bandai seriously considers releasing a HGUC Gustav Carl as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jegan Ace posted:

Curious as to whether the missiles are plastic bits on red runners that go into grooves in the tubes.

Looking at the CGI images, I'd say yes. There's certainly enough of them to justify it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like Turn X MG got pushed back to june :negative:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at the CGI images, I'd say yes. There's certainly enough of them to justify it.

As an HG, im gonna go ahead and say probably not. On the other hand, it's almost all 1 color so they may do it as to not appear so cheap

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ignimbrite posted:

Looks like Turn X MG got pushed back to june :negative:

It's always been June.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Koto Laevatein box is labeled as AS01, and that, combined with how well it sold, pretty much guarantees we'll bee seeing some more 1/60 Arm Slaves from them. Cool!!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Good, because I want a non lovely Koto Arbalest and flight packs for both.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

runwiled posted:

I would also recommend you get some liquid poly/poly cement as some pieces you're going to want to glue. In particular, the hands are a fucker to keep together and they like to explode without too much coercion. If you glue nothing else, glue the hand parts together to save you future frustration.

This is literally necessary on all early Frame Arms kits, though some of the newer ones have been particularly good with fingers not flying off if you so much as sneeze on them. In general though, you'll definitely need to glue the thumbs in place at the very least. Another note is some of the more top-heavy ones don't stand on their own as easily as most kits do. it's not horrible, but it can be bothersome if you have them on your work desk at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

As an HG, im gonna go ahead and say probably not. On the other hand, it's almost all 1 color so they may do it as to not appear so cheap

The price clocks in at about 2,000 Yen, so I doubt they're going to cheap out on it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BlitzBlast posted:

It's always been June.

Oh :saddowns: HLJ and hobbysearch had the release date up as may earlier this year for some reason.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

From the looks of things Bandai's just skipping April and May this year MG-wise. April was because of RG Exia, but I dunno about May. Maybe they're just reprinting all of the Unicorn kits while they still can?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

runwiled posted:

Moving on from the frame, the armour pieces are very much what you'd expect. They come on sprues and you just remove them and fit to your model. Some of them have an incredibly tight fit, which was awkward for me when it came to test-fitting. The plastic quality between sprues varies and isn't as consistent as Bandai kits, but that's really only a criticism if you're used to Bandai products. There's no colour separation in the kit I have either, bar one piece which has a coloured visor.

One of the reasons I went for more modern kits (like the Baselard, which the thread has recommended previously) was after checking the colour separation on Dalong. I'm in a tiny flat in Scotland, if I want to paint the combination of no indoor space and a climate that believes that the only safe place for water is falling from the sky means I brush- or marker-paint only. Hence, I'm pretty paranoid about checking for kits that look good after a straight-build.

quote:

I would also recommend you get some liquid poly/poly cement as some pieces you're going to want to glue. In particular, the hands are a fucker to keep together and they like to explode without too much coercion. If you glue nothing else, glue the hand parts together to save you future frustration.

That makes a lot of sense.

quote:

If people are interested I'll start recording what I'm doing so you can get an idea of what this series is like to build.

That'd be really cool. When my order finally gets here, I'll post WIPs and the like as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Review pics of the Skull Weapon Set are up and it's rather lazy and lacking in terms of colour separation. Unless you're going to paint it, it's probably best to skip it. I'm surprised the base is one big black piece though, as there's enough white in the kit to surely justify the skull and crossbones as attached pieces.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Review pics of the Skull Weapon Set are up and it's rather lazy and lacking in terms of colour separation. Unless you're going to paint it, it's probably best to skip it. I'm surprised the base is one big black piece though, as there's enough white in the kit to surely justify the skull and crossbones as attached pieces.

All of the HG Customize sets are pretty barebones in the color separation, so it's hardly a shock that the Skull Weapon set follows suit.

Speaking of the HG Customize sets, some third party (not sure who it is yet) is doing all of them:

Word is all six will be sold together for about 10 dollars.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

One of the reasons I went for more modern kits (like the Baselard, which the thread has recommended previously) was after checking the colour separation on Dalong. I'm in a tiny flat in Scotland, if I want to paint the combination of no indoor space and a climate that believes that the only safe place for water is falling from the sky means I brush- or marker-paint only. Hence, I'm pretty paranoid about checking for kits that look good after a straight-build.

I'm UK based too, so i know the pain of cramped living conditions and high humidity, which is why i just invested in a portable spray booth. I'll le you know how it works out for me.

I've taken pictures to start documenting the process of building and painting this thing. For reference, I went with the Zen-Rai, a very early kit, because it had a cool yet simple design and I already have a bunch of tan/brown paint from a previous project.

It'd be cool if you document your build too. There's not much out there on the English-speaking web about these kits which is a shame as I think they're really neat.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

runwiled posted:

I'm UK based too, so i know the pain of cramped living conditions and high humidity, which is why i just invested in a portable spray booth. I'll le you know how it works out for me.

I've taken pictures to start documenting the process of building and painting this thing. For reference, I went with the Zen-Rai, a very early kit, because it had a cool yet simple design and I already have a bunch of tan/brown paint from a previous project.

It'd be cool if you document your build too. There's not much out there on the English-speaking web about these kits which is a shame as I think they're really neat.

Heh, I just got the custom Zen-Rai with the cloak, it's a pretty cool kit apart from it being 90% light grey. Also as for air brushing a cardboard box works fine if you're just using Acrylics. I'll get a picture of my set up to show you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Even if you're using acrylics, spraying atomized paint in a non-ventilated area is a bad idea. I hope you're at least wearing a filter mask.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Even if you're using acrylics, spraying atomized paint in a non-ventilated area is a bad idea. I hope you're at least wearing a filter mask.

Er, I probably should have mentioned that I wear a mask when painting.

Either way this is my current set up:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I just tried kitbashing for the first time. I found out the polycaps connecting the 00's GN drives to its shoulders were the same as the ones connecting Reborns Gundam's shoulders to its arms, so I figured I could either turn 00 into a four-armed General Grievous-esque monstrosity or give it a nice pair of engine-wings by adding on some of the Hi-Nu's funnels. Now it looks like this:

I'm really pleased with the results. The wings can swivel around a lot since they have the 00's back/shoulder armature and all the mobility from Reborns' arms, so they point in pretty much any direction, and even swing under the shoulder F91-style. It's also combined the stupidity of having shoulder-mounted super secret high-tech engines with the stupidity of having elbow-mounted super secret high-tech engines, resulting in the ultimate in silly engine placement :shepsmug: I'd like to keep this guy around, partly because having a neato custom Gunpla makes me feel like a Build Fighters protagonist, but it makes me feel guilty having a bunch of kits too pillaged for parts to be displayed (Poor Wing Gundam is missing a head, and the less said of Reborns, the better).

I've also though of painting it, probably not something too drastic (just changing the creamy-yellow of Reborns Gundam to a more primary yellow, and that's only about six parts--and maybe coloring the funnels to match the torso). Is it feasible? I figure I'd just have to do some deconstruction, separate the pieces I'd like to paint, paint them, and then put them back together afterward? I'm definitely considering panel lining too, which I should probably start doing to all my models anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I honestly think that 4-armed "monstrosity" actually looks cooler. And yes, start panel lining your kits, cause they are in desperate need of some detail.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The 00 Gundam is great because you can fit god drat anything on those GN Drive polycaps, as you can see in these blurry as poo poo photos.

It is also great because it is to this day the most flexible and balanced HG in existence, but who cares about that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The 00 Gundam is great because you can fit god drat anything on those GN Drive polycaps, as you can see in these blurry as poo poo photos.

It is also great because it is to this day the most flexible and balanced HG in existence, but who cares about that.

Is the bottom one a reinterpretation of Raphael?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
1/60 Laevatein taking shape, really great build so far, and in the recent Koto tradition, a surprising amount of undergated parts.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muike posted:

1/60 Laevatein taking shape, really great build so far, and in the recent Koto tradition, a surprising amount of undergated parts.

lets get some in progress pics. Im curious how many parts it has and the thickness of the plastic

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
which Dynames kit is the best version? the HG or the 1/100 NG? I'm inclined to think the HG model.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They both suck but the NG is miles better.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
prepare for lovely pics

Here you can kind of see how the arm goes together. The red beefy forearm parts clamshell around a 4-piece plastic double joint, the other end of which is clamshelled inside two white bicep parts. There are two polycaps on each arm. The hands are constructed from individual palms, fingers, and thumbs. The subarms aren't extremely posable but they do everything you'd expect and want, I think.

This part is molded very sharply. It's hard to see here, but it thins out enough such that it becomes semi-translucent in bright light, along with some others molded in this color.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

all the feets parts. left and right are identical. one polycap.

unarmored foot.

toe has much more mobility downwards than upwards

all assembled.

quack

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So no Gunpla yet, but a shitload of Robot Damashii and other figures have been announced so far:

Robot Damashii Kshatriya Repaired
Robot Damashii Crossbone Gundam X3
Robot Damashii Crossbone X2 and X1 Full Cloth
Robot Damashii Blue Destiny Unit 1
Robot Damashii ZZZ Gundam (No, that's not a typo)
Robot Damashii God Gundam
Robot Damashii Master Gundam

Finally, we're given a good look at Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar

Third Party Edit:

Christ, the third parties are on a roll.

1/35 scale Nu Gundam head:

1/100 scale Xi Gundam - looks to be made by ELYN

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I still maintain that that thing looks like it belongs more in a Brave series than in Gundam, what with the cross knees and chest lion. I'm in love with that sword though.

Also, yesssss Blue Destiny. :swoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We shouldn't be getting any gunpla announcements until May 15th or so, this is just Tamashii Nations.

Totally bummed Metal Build Destiny WoL wasn't revealed though. :smith:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
not gonna care about most news until hlj tells me i can preorder a gustav karl and ACTV eagle.

back to laevatein:

Leg pre-assembly. 3 polycaps in the whole thing, if you count the hip joint.

close-up of the knee joint. maybe fauxtool will discern whether the plastic quality is up to snuff for personal tastes

all together now!!

lower knee joint range

upper joint and sliding thigh armor

as good of a range of motion or better than you'd expect, given that laevatein NEVER skips leg day

now for a quick few shot of a pose i just threw together, inspired by the slight forward range of the lower knee joint

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

1/100 scale Xi Gundam - looks to be made by ELYN

Holy loving poo poo. You're mean for editing that in, I almost didn't see it. But thank you SO much for posting it. So then that thing will be well over a foot tall, god drat.

How's ELYN's quality? I got the Dragon Momoko Tallgeese III, and I'm pretty satisfied with its build quality (though it could be better).

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
ELYN is kinda iffy. So far all they have made is a 1/100 Kshatriya that was decent for a first attempt, but had some QC issues and was ridiculously expensive(You're looking at 300+ dollars when you combine shipping).

Good to hear you're mostly enjoying TGIII though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Do you have to paint the Elyn stuff? I want Xi but I can't paint worth a drat.

• Locked thread