Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So Bill Nye is at it again, apparently, smacking around Sippy Cupp on Crossfire? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06v1dQj9foU

Good I always love when Rush tries to break down Bill Nye and "Expose him for the fraud he truly is folks!" Should be a good day of El Rushbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe you're just leaving out the obvious but you know that "Affluenza" has an all but literal poster child right? The 1%er kid, Ethan Couch, who killed 4 people while drunk driving whose lawyers actually used that term (and the idea that his incredible richness made him unaware of the consequences of his actions) to get his sentence down to 10 years probation and a harrowing stint in a sunny resort rehab spa?
Yeah, affluenza means being born into such privilege that you never develop any kind of moral compass because everything was always provided for you and your bad acts were wiped away without consequence. Limbaugh didn't quite fight his way up from the ghetto but he knocked around a bit and flamed out of a lot of jobs before his radio shtick caught on. He wasn't born with silver spoon in his rear end.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really don't know why conservatives want to engage with Bill Nye and NDG at all. It's one thing when you can push around someone who has no on-screen presence or experience and try to bait them into a Crossfire style exchange, it's quite another when the person has the upperhand on the knowledge and has a demonstrably more successful TV career than you do. On top of being trusted and beloved by a wider audience. I think they expect they can give just about anyone the Al Gore treatment after finding some success there.

Then again maybe that's exactly why they come at those guys with a chip on their shoulder.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

FMguru posted:

Yeah, affluenza means being born into such privilege that you never develop any kind of moral compass because everything was always provided for you and your bad acts were wiped away without consequence. Limbaugh didn't quite fight his way up from the ghetto but he knocked around a bit and flamed out of a lot of jobs before his radio shtick caught on. He wasn't born with silver spoon in his rear end.

Didn't he get his first job in radio because his dad owned the station?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe you're just leaving out the obvious but you know that "Affluenza" has an all but literal poster child right? The 1%er kid, Ethan Couch, who killed 4 people while drunk driving whose lawyers actually used that term (and the idea that his incredible richness made him unaware of the consequences of his actions) to get his sentence down to 10 years probation and a harrowing stint in a sunny resort rehab spa?

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law? I don't see the talking heads decrying the use of tax payer money to pay for that kid's resort stay or any verification that he actually is in the resort.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law? I don't see the talking heads decrying the use of tax payer money to pay for that kid's resort stay or any verification that he actually is in the resort.

Tax payers weren't originally going to pay for the resort, the family was. The judge later moved him to a state facility in Texas, so no beach resort but public money was used (because it's a state facility).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law?

It's got nothing to do with ignorance lightening the verdict and everything to do with judges literally believing rich people should not have to go to jail because it's too awful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Azuth0667 posted:

Posters ITT are being hyperbolic for effect. The argument was that, as a spoiled rich boy, he didn't deserve to be tried as an adult and needed more rehabilitation than punishment, which is the humane and merciful approach. The most controversial part of this argument is not that a kid who manslaughtered a bunch of people got light treatment, but that such clemency is rarely extended to poor or minority offenders.

IIRC the kid was moved to a much stricter state facility and that the parents are probably paying on a sliding scale. Mainly Couch is being held up as an example of how the justice system pisses on certain groups by saying that his punishment wasn't severe enough, which leads to the weird situation of ostensible humanist liberals calling for more blood from a teenager because of his skin color and household SES.

e: The kid's still on probation for a decade though and it'll be a small miracle if he makes it through that without landing in prison for some stupid reason or another.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 7, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't understand this verdict at all I always thought ignorance of the consequences was no excuse for violating the law?

Jail is for criminals, son, not for Good Kids from Good Families.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

Didn't he get his first job in radio because his dad owned the station?

Yes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Who is this host? She is straight up awful. She is condescending, and clueless at the same time. When she was summing things up near the end Bill Nye's face was priceless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Posters ITT are being hyperbolic for effect. The argument was that, as a spoiled rich boy, he didn't deserve to be tried as an adult and needed more rehabilitation than punishment, which is the humane and merciful approach. The most controversial part of this argument is not that a kid who manslaughtered a bunch of people got light treatment, but that such clemency is rarely extended to poor or minority offenders.

IIRC the kid was moved to a much stricter state facility and that the parents are probably paying on a sliding scale. Mainly Couch is being held up as an example of how the justice system pisses on certain groups by saying that his punishment wasn't severe enough, which leads to the weird situation of ostensible humanist liberals calling for more blood from a teenager because of his skin color and household SES.

e: The kid's still on probation for a decade though and it'll be a small miracle if he makes it through that without landing in prison for some stupid reason or another.

It'll be no small miracle with the kind of lawyers he has to throw around and with less public scrutiny.

And all things considered I personally don't think the punishment was harsh enough (even ignoring skin color and wealth AND in a vacuum away from other underage sentences), he killed 4 people and showed zero remorse for doing so until he realized he wasn't going to get away with it. Short of actual mental illness I don't understand how that lands ANYBODY with probation and rehab. He doesn't deserve to die or get tossed in gently caress me in the rear end prison for life but at the same time me and you don't deserve to live under a precedent where if a rich man finds himself in a PR situation he can't buy his way out of his money suddenly becomes a crippling mental condition that coincidentally nets him the same result he was looking for by buying off the system.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Who is this host? She is straight up awful. She is condescending, and clueless at the same time. When she was summing things up near the end Bill Nye's face was priceless.
It's S.E. Cupp, noted know-nothing and Lisa Loeb fan club member.

My favorite part of the right:

It's a "hot" "chick" debunking Nye, not, say, "award-winning journalist" or "brilliant reporter"

Women are just a bunch of parts.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tharizdun posted:

It's S.E. Cupp, noted know-nothing and Lisa Loeb fan club member.

My favorite part of the right:

It's a "hot" "chick" debunking Nye, not, say, "award-winning journalist" or "brilliant reporter"

Women are just a bunch of parts.

I posted something in this thread before about how if you google S.E. Cupp, the top hits will be "s.e. cupp legs", "s.e. cupp hot", "s.e. cupp husband" (guess they'd feel guilty about beating it to her if she was married), etc.

I remember watching Robert Reich wreck her poo poo over "ARE JOB CREATORS" and she just gawked, as if to say "how DARE this man contradict me on my own show like this!"

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
When stating, "The scare tactics have not worked," it assumes two arguments: that stating facts is a scare tactic and that public opinion is based solely on one condition.

Plaid tie guy is reading from a script rather than engaging in the debate. It is embarrassing and detrimental to public discourse.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I am still sad that nobody has framed unemployment as a spectacular failure of the "job creators. "

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

moths posted:

I am still sad that nobody has framed unemployment as a spectacular failure of the "job creators. "

"But see, it's Obama's fault for not coddling them enough!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

at the same time me and you don't deserve to live under a precedent where if a rich man finds himself in a PR situation he can't buy his way out of his money suddenly becomes a crippling mental condition that coincidentally nets him the same result he was looking for by buying off the system.

He's got ten years probation, is in a state mental rehab facility, his folks are facing multiple civil suits and he's known as the kid who drunkenly murdered 4 people. How is that a win?

I'm not saying the punishment was appropriate. I just don't see how he got away with it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Too much uncertainty!

As someone living in Seattle I'm getting really depressed over the amount of temporarily embarrassed millionaires on FB posting spiteful image macros about how they think/wish a 15 dollar minimum wage is going to cause a poor people holocaust and force McDonalds out of town. I would say at least half of them are people making more than 15 who are too cowardly to ask for a raise and would rather see every minimum wage worker in the city suffer.

He's got ten years probation, is in a state mental rehab facility, his folks are facing multiple civil suits and he's known as the kid who drunkenly murdered 4 people. How is that a win?

He's not in Juvenile Hall because a judge accepted a ridiculous defense revolving around a completely made up mental condition. That's a relative win. Do you think he and his parents recoiled in horror when that verdict came down?

Edit: We're actually pretty much in the same spot. I don't think the sentencing was appropriate either, and I also don't think he "got away with it".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 7, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's a relative win. Do you think he and his parents recoiled in horror when that verdict came down?

Should that have been the judge's goal?

We should strive to treat all juvenile offenders as if they're rich white boys. It's not this kid's fault that the system is inconsistent.

http://www.theonion.com/video/judge-rules-white-girl-will-be-tried-as-black-adul,18896/

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Should that have been the judge's goal?

No, but he shouldn't be basing sentencing on imaginary mental disorders. I'm saying everyone involved in his defense very likely breathed a big sigh of relief that he did. And I agree the problem is consistency but in my opinion even in that ideal world where everyone gets the same treatment I think he got very light treatment and I would be complaining no matter what his situation was. It could've been Ghandi who got that sentence and I'd still be scared shitless to be a pedestrian in Texas today.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 7, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did he get to keep his license?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So Bill Nye is at it again, apparently, smacking around Sippy Cupp on Crossfire? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06v1dQj9foU

This format is just so awful for discussing important things. Global Warming is an important topic. Can we really learn anything about it in 8 minutes split between four people?

Science really needs a format like Rush Limbaugh's show where a highly informed person talks about important scientific issues for three hours straight. They can take some phone calls, bring on some guests and really make sure that people understand what's going on.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This format is just so awful for discussing important things. Global Warming is an important topic. Can we really learn anything about it in 8 minutes split between four people?

8 minutes is all the time you need within the attention span of people who don't care about the topic at hand except to be reassured that their opinion is correct anyway.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Too much uncertainty!

As someone living in Seattle I'm getting really depressed over the amount of temporarily embarrassed millionaires on FB posting spiteful image macros about how they think/wish a 15 dollar minimum wage is going to cause a poor people holocaust and force McDonalds out of town. I would say at least half of them are people making more than 15 who are too cowardly to ask for a raise and would rather see every minimum wage worker in the city suffer.

He's not in Juvenile Hall because a judge accepted a ridiculous defense revolving around a completely made up mental condition. That's a relative win. Do you think he and his parents recoiled in horror when that verdict came down?

Edit: We're actually pretty much in the same spot. I don't think the sentencing was appropriate either, and I also don't think he "got away with it".

Its also a precedent for other rich assholes to claim to wriggle out of consequences. Strangely the talking heads have no issue with this, I wonder why.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Science really needs a format like Rush Limbaugh's show where a highly informed person talks about important scientific issues for three hours straight. They can take some phone calls, bring on some guests and really make sure that people understand what's going on.

Why its almost as if nothing has changed about Crossfire since Jon Stewart's appearance on it!

fake edit: Well I guess bow-tie connoisseur Tucker Carlson is gone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought the afluenza defense didn't really factor into it and that particular judge has issued a similar sentence to another boy whose parent's didn't have the money to afford it, which is another problem in our awful justice system but it's not as absolutely terrible as originally reported.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I like how Cupp brings up a stupid statistic like only 36% of Americans believing climate change (global warming is a misnomer stop using it idiots) poses a serious threat to our way of life. Who the gently caress cares what people think about an issue they don't understand?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Sorry to take the discussion off spoiled rich kids, but I'm curious about something:

How popular/important are these right wing radio nuts really?

It seems like a lot of them claim on their shows that the whole world is waiting and listening to what they say so they can suppress THE TRUTH or whatever, but I really don't see it.

Rush was pretty big back in the nineties, and I remember he was pumping out book after book about how he's right and we're all wrong, but is he still even half that popular? Sure, a lot of Conservatives still love him, but I'm curious if anyone else even remembers him, let alone knows what he's upset about at the moment.

Mark "Master Shake" Levin is even more suspect as he's constantly going on about how the left wants to destroy him because he has so much power and influence, but until I started regularly reading D&D, I had no idea who he was and never even heard any of the many right wing nuts I know mention him.

Basically, how the gently caress do you become so egotistical when you're popular on the RADIO?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Michio Kaku does a radio show pretty much like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Science Fridays on NPR is basically that.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Biff Rockgroin posted:

but until I started regularly reading D&D, I had no idea who he was and never even heard any of the many right wing nuts I know mention him.

Basically, how the gently caress do you become so egotistical when you're popular on the RADIO?

To the public and voters as a whole, they are irrelevant, expect for shock entertainment value when one of them slips up and says something particularly racist or misogynistic on air. But, to the conservative base, they are enormously popular and important. Plus, Levin, Rush and others are the guys who actually set and drive home the agenda for a lot of conservative groups; or at the very least, they parrot what the Kochs, Heritage and ALEC set as the agenda. You won't see anybody in the GOP cross either one of these guys without coming back around at some point to kiss the ring.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Radish posted:

I thought the afluenza defense didn't really factor into it and that particular judge has issued a similar sentence to another boy whose parent's didn't have the money to afford it, which is another problem in our awful justice system but it's not as absolutely terrible as originally reported.

The other case actually involved a black 14 year old getting 10 years in prison for punching another person, who fell back and cracked his head on the ground, ending up with him dying two days later.

Apparently, the judge wanted to give that kid the same sentence as Couch, but couldn't find a facility willing to take the kid, so 10 years incarceration it was.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Sorry to take the discussion off spoiled rich kids, but I'm curious about something:

It seems like a lot of them claim on their shows that the whole world is waiting and listening to what they say so they can suppress THE TRUTH or whatever, but I really don't see it.

Rush was pretty big back in the nineties, and I remember he was pumping out book after book about how he's right and we're all wrong, but is he still even half that popular? Sure, a lot of Conservatives still love him, but I'm curious if anyone else even remembers him, let alone knows what he's upset about at the moment.

Mark "Master Shake" Levin is even more suspect as he's constantly going on about how the left wants to destroy him because he has so much power and influence, but until I started regularly reading D&D, I had no idea who he was and never even heard any of the many right wing nuts I know mention him.

The short answer is they are still pretty popular/important, but Fox News has moved in and taken a lot of that away. Right wing radio these days is really for people who aren't getting high off of the fox news rage machine anymore, or people who need a constant drip while they're working their awful 9-to-5. Radio grabs the people who define themselves by being a conservative at all times, and as a result the radio personalities are good at shaping the direction of the party and especially at altering primaries.

As an example, I don't think Ted Cruz would have won his primary without right wing radio, and would almost go as far as to say that Mark Levin specifically won that election for him. Could you imagine how different the last year would have been without Ted Cruz in the senate? So yeah, still pretty important.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thefncrow posted:

The other case actually involved a black 14 year old getting 10 years in prison for punching another person, who fell back and cracked his head on the ground, ending up with him dying two days later.

Apparently, the judge wanted to give that kid the same sentence as Couch, but couldn't find a facility willing to take the kid, so 10 years incarceration it was.

Yea the judge pushed fairly hard for the black kid getting the same sentence but apparently no facility had room/willingness to take him so he had no other choice but to give him the minimum(?) prison time. The whole 'the judge was totes biased!!!!' is actually a real stupid meme that has nothing to do with the actual problem of not nearly enough facilities run by the state or the like for kids in that situation.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It was great to see Nye take on those idiots, but that segment was so depressing because it's become apparent that we now have to tolerate know-nothings and science deniers because it's the polite, fair-minded thing to do. We must give them a public platform, because after all they represent a significant part of the population now. :rolleyes:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

(global warming is a misnomer stop using it idiots)

No, it isn't. Overall global temperatures are rising. They transitioned to "climate change" because idiots were unable to comprehend that overall global warming can also lead to extreme cold as well. Of course then idiots just accuse them of shifting goalposts now and failing to grasp that climate change and global warming refer to the exact same phenomena and nothing has changed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

computer parts posted:

In fairness that's more due to a cycle that predates a lot of the global warming stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Multidecadal_Oscillation

Not that he'd know that, of course.

I'm sorry, is there any science in this, or is it just computer models? :v:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And I think the term is perfectly suitable to Rush Limbaugh. White male lost moral compass due to crippling wealth and privilege, ISO a sharp kick in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

They are popular and important to their niche audiences. Outside of that audience, they are B-grade radio celebrities at best. You'll note that none of them come on during morning drive time, which is prime time for radio.