Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

How do you even do the villain for an MMPR gritty reboot?

I wonder if they'll keep Titanus.

Lord Zedd maybe. Can you imagine what a higher budget version of his costume would look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Testekill posted:

Lord Zedd maybe. Can you imagine what a higher budget version of his costume would look like?

I imagine something like Super Shredder.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lord Zedd, if you go by the original design and not the lack luster movie version, is pretty much a loving cenobite with a visor and mouth grill.

Dude's skin is flayed or burned off, muscle is exposed, and the only thing he's wearing is a metal exo skeleton thing that's fused to his body. And lots of tubes and poo poo.

Dude's perfect.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yeah, much as I scoff at MMPR nostlagia goggles, Zedd would be loving awesome in a 2014 sized budget

Just bring back Axelrod and we're good to go.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Doesn't matter how good it is, this thing is going to be a horrible flop because of the stigma attached to Power Rangers. Barring some sort of marketing miracle, no adult will want to be caught dead watching it in public.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hobo Siege posted:

Doesn't matter how good it is, this thing is going to be a horrible flop because of the stigma attached to Power Rangers. Barring some sort of marketing miracle, no adult will want to be caught dead watching it in public.

Same could be said about the trillions of other movies that are adapted from old children franchises. Just look at the new TMNT film.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Siege posted:

People will see it as long as the trailer ends with a CGI moneyshot of the Megazord and a PG-13 rating.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Good thing they don't make kids movies for adults!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My experience on FB is that it's got nostalgia going on for it on the early 20s ground.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah, Zedd basically looks like Lord High Lord of Pushing Your poo poo In

Except in the movie where he has like... BDSM gear instead of the sweet skeleton

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

For me, the quality of a good power rangers series tends to be more... serious about itself when it needs to be? Its kinda like the Flash Gordon issue - with source material often being as silly as it is, you either need to make it a self aware parody, or something that can play itself so straight that the show convinces you to roll with it. And half assing it doesn't tend to bring great results: the first half of Turbo failed on the former because of the dispute on whether to work with Carranger's comedy or against it; the first half of Megaforce (or just plain old Megaforce in the title listing) fails on the latter because of how it rushes through things and skimps over characters, so that there's nothing to convince you its anything more than a quick, cheap edit of another show.

I think the latter then also is why series with more original aspects to them, from the sentai material, have a tendency to work better, or certainly find more approval with the fans. Its easier to tell a convincing story when its your story, and not you slotting in tiny slithers of original material from someone else's. Characters like Andros, Leo, or Wes can have their story arcs better followed and explored through the series because they were made for the series, rather than being existing characters that were tailored with other actors in mind.

Now obviously, there are exceptions to any rule, but I think and hope you can see where I'm coming from.

I feel that a big part of it is that when following a sentai beat for beat characters will be put into situations that they are only in because their sentai counterpart got into them. Which is fine on paper when you point to "this leads to this leads to this" but it falls apart in implementation because Japanese and American characters just act different. Take that episode that came up a few weeks ago, where blue has to beat that sword move. In the Japanese context it was a very simple episode, just a bunch of common anime/general "how it works" tropes thrown together. "Oh, of course the swordsman would learn how to see the move's weakness." We don't have that in the Megaforce version so they had to slot in generic "faith in your friends" or whatever. When you just throw the plot out entirely and shoot an abundance of new footage that becomes much easier to deal with.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sockser posted:

Yeah, Zedd basically looks like Lord High Lord of Pushing Your poo poo In

Except in the movie where he has like... BDSM gear instead of the sweet skeleton

What gets me the most is the huge brain sticking out in the movie version. The regular version being more subdued looks way more menacing for some reason.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dr Tran posted:

gently caress all that. Condense Go-Busters into a 2 hour movie.

You brought this up and it's never going to happen and I feel so much hate because of it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I want to know who came up with Zedds design and how did it get on Power Rangers. It's pretty badass.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zedd is a great design. :colbert:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go-onger is poo poo

Look at this wrong opinion.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I am disturbed by all this slander against Best Sentai Go-Onger. There's nothing quite like Sousuke and Speedor having a high-drama bro-bonding moment, where Speedor is currently the size of a toy and is clutched in Sousuke's hands. Or when Gunpei is mistaken for a sexual predator when he attempts to bribe a child with a briefcase full of candy.

See this guy gets it.

Seriously though Go-Onger is my favorite Sentai and I don't know if it will ever be topped. I really enjoyed the whole partner aspect of it and they were able to do some fun things with it, such as putting the Engines into the wrong casts in one episode, or when Speedor was finally able to fulfill his dream of fighting alongside Sousuke by using GoRoader GT. Go-Onger's biggest problems were that G12 was a clusterfuck of a mecha and set the stage for even bigger and more terrible clusterfucks (hello Samurai Ha-Oh and the upcoming ToQger mechs), and that the Go-On Wings weren't great characters at first and kind of stole Gunpei's original role within the team which made Gunpei almost a completely different character to compensate. Not that Gunpei's characterization was bad in the later episodes (GUNPEI SOOOOOOOOOUL~) but it was weird and problematic.

Also it was goofy as hell which definitely turns some people off, Den-O had the same problem. I loved it but I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love both Samurai HaOh and G12; non ShinkenOh/Ebi Samurai mechs, G9, and all Goseiger mechs are all terrible though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What gets me the most is the huge brain sticking out in the movie version. The regular version being more subdued looks way more menacing for some reason.

Its because it looks natural, much as a brain being outside the skull and skin can get anyway. In the regular design, it looks like his brain, and you get unnerved because you realise, holy poo poo, thats his brain sticking out. With the movie version, its too high and too far above the rest of his head, so it becomes immediately disconnected - more like a weird curly mop of pink hair.

But yes, if you had to pick a villain for the movie (and assuming 'gritty reboot' mindset, which it may actually turn out not to be if the writing staff have any sense), Zedd's the way to go. His costume slipped by censors the first time, so as long as they don't have blood literally pulsating out of him or whatever, it should pass again. He's also, barring the stuff with the Ultimate Alliance of Evil, a more proactive evil to call upon when compared to Rita. Think of how Super Megaforce has all the named monsters be commanders from the wide and varied army of the Armada (contradictory as such a notion is), along with spamming troops. You could that with Zedd easily as well - he wasn't stuck in a dumpster for ten thousand years and thus doesn't need to rebuild his forces from scratch out of magic clay. He has an Empire.

On the other hand, he probably is still second to Rita in sheer terms of popular awareness among non-fans. There's a reason the first lines people will think of when they hear the series' name are 'Its Morphin Time!' and 'Aaaaaah, after ten thousand years I'm free!'

At the very least, this time around, they wouldn't need to worry about lip syncing Rita.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zedd posted:

I love both Samurai HaOh and G12; non ShinkenOh/Ebi Samurai mechs, G9, and all Goseiger mechs are all terrible though.

G12 is hilarious. It's just so big, it can't even walk. It has to move around on Carrigator's wheels and is nearly twice the size of any Bankijuu! And the total despair of the enemy commanders when they pull it totally out of their asses is wonderful. G12's song is also really great.

G9 looks like poo poo, though, for sure, but I think that's because Jumbowhale is just hanging off G6's back and it looks stupid. He doesn't pull apart like Kishamoth or Carrigator, he's just 70% of another mecha riding piggy-back. The scale is all wonky.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It'd be amazing if they cast Megan Fox as Rita Repulsa or Divatox :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

It'd be amazing if they cast Megan Fox as Rita Repulsa or Divatox :allears:

Oh dear god why :gonk:

Then again, ancient witch of evil, so...

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

MMPR has enough interesting concepts and trappings to make a fun movie in its own right, but I fully expect this one to be nothing but garbage. In particular I don't think the progression from random kids to super martial arts team to giant robot dinosaurs can really work in any context besides "bonkers TV show pilot". That's too many developments without any breathing room, it's why this sort of thing always ends up as just a really long episode of the TV show. It would make more sense to me if there was one movie about the teens coming together and getting the powers and fighting off a small-scale threat, then a sequel where the team thinks they're hitting a groove but a giant monster shows up and they have to go find the zords to match up (with a 3rd movie about the green ranger, because why not). There's no way they're leaving something as iconic as the Megazord out of their cash-in reboot though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe they can just do Zyuranger's quest for DaiZyuJin, where Geki runs around in a gravel pit for a while with Griforzer on his rear end, trying to find the DinoCrystals so they can turn DinoTanker into a gigantic dude with hilariously massive wrist guards.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

Same could be said about the trillions of other movies that are adapted from old children franchises. Just look at the new TMNT film.

I'd say there's a difference between positive nostalgia and negative nostalgia. Things like Transformers or TMNT, people generally consider their memories towards them as positive. Power Rangers? They generally feel embarrassed about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Astro Nut posted:

At the very least, this time around, they wouldn't need to worry about lip syncing Rita.

Don't be so sure.

Rita didn't need to be lip synched for roughly 75% of her appearances and they DID IT ANYWAYS.

Season 2, The Wedding, on, Rita was played by an American Actress who spoke English. They just dubbed her for the hell of it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
They should dub over every character.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Burkion posted:

Don't be so sure.

Rita didn't need to be lip synched for roughly 75% of her appearances and they DID IT ANYWAYS.

Season 2, The Wedding, on, Rita was played by an American Actress who spoke English. They just dubbed her for the hell of it.

...Seriously? I thought the entire point was that they didn't have to do that.

Then again, suppose that's a side effect of having a separate voice and then needing to find someone to step in for original footage (or probably something even dumber than that).

As to how the potential structure of such a movie could work, I see two main possibiliies. The first is something akin to the Dredd movie, kinda similar to the first PR film, in that its basically a day (or week) in the life of the Rangers, albeit modernised, and we have to discern about the characters by exploring how they go through the odd but exciting routine of defending from monsters every now and again. Possibly with an obligatory 'this is something more powerful than you've ever faced before'. Pacific Rim got most of its world backstory out of the way in an opening narration, one could easily do the same here.

The other is full on origin story, which would mean going through the beats of explaining Rita/Zedd/Whoever they pick for the villain, Zordon, and at least how the powers work (though not necessarily their origins, considering how long those went unspoken). In either case, I would probably expect a megazord fight either around the middle (ie, capstone to the Rangers' first fight), or towards the end (after a film's worth of building it up and going all out with the finale). Most likely the latter, considering the film's budget probably won't be that big, and its literally what the other two films did.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

What I'm wondering is if this is reboot or remake of the basic plot beats of MMPR, and if it's in continuity but in a different timeline Star rek 09 style, or seperate universe like the first movie, but agknowledged in later seasons.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Solaris Knight posted:

What I'm wondering is if this is reboot or remake of the basic plot beats of MMPR, and if it's in continuity but in a different timeline Star rek 09 style, or seperate universe like the first movie, but agknowledged in later seasons.

If by acknowledged you mean 'taking some of its plot points' like with Zordon being bumped up into the ultimate champion of good for the universe...

That is actually an interesting possibility. I mean, if it works, given its a film and all, it would presumably end up more within the popular culture than the show itself is, so one would probably want to borrow what it does right.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

There isn't any chance this movie could be an actual reunion/anniversary story, is there? The press release mentions MMPR, but refers to the whole franchise. Has there been any other info released that it's specifically MMPR?

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 8, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

No matter what, any Power Rangers movie has to start with skydiving, with one dude skydiving with a snowboard for some reason.

It's the law.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

There isn't any chance this movie could be an actual reunion/anniversary story, is there? The press release mentions MMPR, but refers to the whole franchise. Has there been any other info released that it's specifically MMPR?

The fact that literally the only seasons people know are MMPR, Samurai, and Megaforce, it'\s gotta be MMPR.

Might as well ask why the Transformers movie wasn't about Beast Wars.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Burkion posted:

Don't be so sure.

I imagine this is primarily because they didn't have any footage of Rita hanging out with Zedd.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

The fact that literally the only seasons people know are MMPR, Samurai, and Megaforce, it'\s gotta be MMPR.

Or SPD. A shitton of people right around 20 have strong memories of SPD.

But no, it'll be MMPR because they'll want to use Go Go Power Rangers yet again, just swapping out lyrics as appropriate. It's worked since Samurai, apparently :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unponderable posted:

I imagine this is primarily because they didn't have any footage of Rita hanging out with Zedd.

Well no duh.

But what I mean is, she was already de-aging herself, they could have easily used that as an excuse to NOT dub over an English speaking actress for the next half a decade.

They chose consistency however. Consistent terrible dubbing.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
Here's a "grim and gritty" franchise take on MMPR. 9 separate movies pulling from the first four seasons with touch of Sentai thrown in for good measure, all centered around Jason as the main character. It could end after movies 1, 3, or 6 without damaging the story or necessitating a sequel.

First movie - Your standard MMPR origin story. Zordon chooses five teens to fight an evil space witch, with Jason as their leader, yadda yadda. Zordon originally lead a team of Rangers centuries ago who sealed Rita away, and now she has returned. Throw in some references to a sixth power coin and Jason's best friend, Tommy, as foreshadowing. Let someone like Scorpina (a more Sentai-style Scorpina, where she is a commander in Rita's army and the wife of Goldar) be the MOTW so that when she is defeated by the Megazord at the end, there is some actual weight to the victory.

Second movie - The "Evil Green Ranger" movie. As it turns out, long ago, Rita stole the sixth power coin that was once thought to be lost (you could do some pretty heavy flashback sequences here to fill out the backstory more), and chooses Tommy to be the evil Green Ranger and a commander in her army after the Rangers destroyed Scorpina. This one obviously ends with the Rangers defeating Tommy and turning him good.

Third movie - The Rangers, with the addition of the sixth ranger, are nearly invincible, and defeat Rita's forces at will. Little do they know that Rita is about to make a climactic final push. Rita throws everything she's got at the Rangers and they respond in kind. In an incredible display of sacrifice, Tommy the Green Ranger dies in a successful effort to destroy Goldar. With his dying breath, Tommy passes on his powers to Jason, who is angry and distraught at the death of his best friend. In a fit of rage, he leads the Rangers in a decisive final battle on the moon, where MegaDragonzord defeats Rita once and for all (no "resealed in the dumpster" bullshit here, she is straight-up killed).

Fourth movie - A new evil in the universe has arisen. After hearing of the defeat of one of his commanders, Rita Repulsa, the evil Lord Zedd reclaims her moon base and becomes intent on defeating the forces of Earth who killed her. Now in college, the Rangers are recalled by Zordon to fight this new evil. Zordon and Alpha 5 have not been idle since Rita's defeat - they've got a new teenager from the same high school the Rangers were from, Ryan Steele, a particularly talented martial artist, working in the Command Center and maintaining the Power Grid. Zordon has been vigilant and feared that they would one day need to re-engage the Rangers, Earth's only defense force against intergalactic evil. The Rangers engage Zedd's forces, only to get their asses kicked and the Dinozords destroyed. Zordon has anticipated this and has secretly been working on new zords all along, and bestows upon them the Thunderzords. However, this isn't enough, and the Rangers get their asses kicked again. The movie ends with a cliffhanger of Zordon hinting about a sixth ranger.

Fifth movie - Zordon reveals his sixth ranger - the teenager Ryan Steele, a world-class martial artist whose skill bests even Jason's. Ryan becomes the White Ranger. Zordon has all but forgotten about Tommy and his sacrifice, and makes no mention of him in the reveal. He also demotes Jason, who failed in the opening battle against Zedd - the White Ranger becomes leader instead. Jason is upset about being demoted but is absolutely flabbergasted and infuriated that Zordon has poo poo all over Tommy's legacy, and quits the Rangers in disgust. Trini and Zack join him in protest. Unperturbed, Zordon chooses three new Rangers - Rocky, Adam, and Aisha, classmates of Ryan's. The six Rangers do battle with Zedd's forces, only to be defeated once again due to Ryan's inexperience. Rocky, Adam, and Aisha are all killed in the battle. The movie ends on a very uncertain note, with the Rangers facing seemingly their worst defeat.

Sixth movie - Jason, overwhelmed by the tragedy that has befallen the Rangers, overcomes his disgust at Zordon and gains control of his feelings and budding rivalry with Ryan. He, Trini, and Zack return, and the Rangers push back at Zedd's forces. In a decisive final battle, Jason and Ryan overcome their differences and fight Zedd hand-to-hand as the Red and White Rangers in Zedd's moon base. Zedd is destroyed.

Seventh movie - As the Red and White Rangers celebrate Zedd's defeat in the moon base, the ground begins to rumble. Zedd had sent Rita to conquer Earth centuries ago before she was sealed away, and it was all in an effort to fight the mortal enemy of Zedd's forces, the Machine Empire. The Machine Empire has now appeared in the wake of Zedd's defeat, and in celebration, they decide to conquer the little backwater planet that Zedd had inexplicably set his sights on in his final years. The Rangers are absolutely no match - the Command Center is decimated, the Power Grid is destroyed, and Zordon and Alpha 5 are nearly killed. Zordon disbands the Rangers save Jason and Ryan. Zordon gives Jason an incredible task - to be the wise commander of a new Ranger team headed by Ryan. The source of their power will be the ancient Zeo crystal, an incredible gem split into pieces that was Rita's objective all along. Jason chooses four teens to join Ryan, and under his tutelage, the five teens descend into the heart of the Amazon forest to reclaim the Zeo crystal. They face many trials along the way, but at the end of the movie, they emerge victorious with the Zeo crystal in hand.

Eighth movie - With the Zeo crystal reclaimed, the five teens are able to become Zeo Rangers, and they make quick work of the Machine Empire's forces. Riding high on victory, they are caught offgaurd by a massive Machine Empire offensive, in which their great war machine, Serpentera, is revealed. The Zeo Rangers are defeated, and Zordon reveals that they have only one hope - the sixth and most powerful piece of the Zeo crystal. Centuries ago, when Rita originally assaulted Earth, she was after the most powerful Zeo crystal piece. Zordon's five original Power Rangers were killed defending it, but not before Zordon could seal Rita away. Zordon has feared ever getting close to it since, forever fearing that it is cursed and will surely lead to more death.

Ninth movie - Jason vows to track down the sixth Zeo crystal, which split apart from the other five pieces and ended up in Japan. Jason travels to Japan and undergoes many trials and tribulations, and with the aid of a kenpou master, a man known only as Ninjor, he is finally able to locate the sixth zeo piece and become the Gold Ranger. He leads the other Zeo Rangers in battle and defeats the Machine Empire, forever ensuring Earth's peace from intergalactic forces.

So...that's either some high-falutin bullshit artistry or my best take on a "grim and gritty" Power Rangers franchise, and I'm not even sure which.

Your Sledgehammer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 9, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Really I'd just want them to remake the first movie except with better/less CGI, the iconic show costumes etc. Will never happen though, people don't want Ivan they want Rita and/or Zedd. It will probably be an overly busy cluster gently caress or a "franchise builder" where they possibly don't even get the robot until the very end. Maybe an adaptation of Green with Evil with all the bullshit stripped out?

Is Lionsgate even any good? I don't associate them with a lack of quality but then I don't follow films so who knows.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

Is Lionsgate even any good? I don't associate them with a lack of quality but then I don't follow films so who knows.

Well, there's Hunger Games, The Perks of being a Wallflower, Juno and The Expendables (part 3 comes out in three months) so idk.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hunger Games turned out good right? That gives me a little bit of faith I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Studio doesn't matter that much. Yeah, they will influence the production a bit, but I don't think Lionsgate is a strict studio. You should be waiting to see who is writing and directing. I have no idea who I'd want for a Power Rangers movie. I just hope whoever it is takes it somewhat serious.