Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Right, next update's ready (and long). I just need one thing from all you people:

What should a Jewish empire be named?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Israel.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Israel In Exile.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
How about Ivrit? It sounds region-appropriate and it just means Hebrew.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Right, next update's ready (and long). I just need one thing from all you people:

The Land of Milk and Honey

VVV - as long as we can have a party called the Judean People's Front

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 8, 2014

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Judea

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Judah?

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Something related to one of the ten lost tribes?

Reubenite,
Simeonite,
Issacharite,
Zebulunese,
Danite,
Naphtali,
Gadi,
Asherite,
Josephite,
Benjamine,

etc.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Alternatively, if we want to be the new pricks of europe: Holiest Roman Empire.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Judas? :v:

EDIT: Gamma Israel

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Iscaria would be better.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Funky Valentine posted:

Restore the glory of Israel.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Zion, maybe?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm rolling with Judea because Israel would be too boring.

"Holiest Roman Empire" should totally be a thing when we wipe out the Byzantines though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Zion, maybe?
This is the right answer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zion, then.

Or Delta Ziojudeasrael.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Volga Judea

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

McGavin posted:

Volga Judea

Well, the Lower Volga just got a new name.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
North Khazaria

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Eden.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CapnAndy posted:

This is the right answer.

Zion it is.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Update 2: Appeasement and Judgement

These factions are getting...annoying.

To check them, I have devised a special program: The Carrot Act - We shall hide our stick for now, let us lead our vassals with gifts of titles.

Most of the counts in the de jure Duchy of Ugra are in factions (most in the Independence one lead by that damnable Duke of Abkhazia.)

As are some dukes in the Duchy of Syr Darya.

To keep the counts corralled, I had jurisdiction over them to their dukes - who are quite happy with me for giving them such lavish titles.

(OOC: Yes, I renamed Ugra to Sans-Care, I just forgot to get a picture of it)

And just like that, the factions are slowly depleted. If I had more coin, I would make more duchies - we do not need so many counts with such ambitious opinions of themselves.

I made two regiments of archers for the royal retinue. Better for sieges than the horsemen.

My generals have come to me with new ideas on how to improve the devastating ability of the horse archers, and some new tricks to help sieges along. Both will be very useful in the years to come.

Ah, good. More subjects, inspired by great Adonai leading us to victory over the Cumans, have begun embracing the truth. They shall not be the last.

I rearranged the generals in the main army, replacing them with men better suited for combat. The fledgling archer regiments join up with the primary force.

Yes, we certainly must beware of other the Manicheans. All zero of them.

(OOC: How on earth did Zoroastrianism make it this far north, let alone a heresy.)

This will not be the most arduous thing I've ever done.

My lovely Samur is with child again, l'chaim!

It felt slightly cruel, to crush heathens this easily. But I got over it when I realized, hey FREE LAND. I'll keep Pecheng, as it's in the capital duchy.

In the ensuing celebration, my third daughter came into the world. I named her Esther - as a reminder of our heritage, and a reminder of why the Seljuks must fall.

I usurped the Duchy of Perm and gave it to a random count as part of the Carrot Act. Happy, newly-minted dukes make for easier elections.

Samur and I decided to trade educational duties - she would teach our second-oldest how to be a woman, while I would teach our son how to manage a kingdom.

The army mobilizes for Bilyar, another single-county pagan with a pathetic defense.

It's not the most engaging thing in the world.

Speaking of engaging, it appears our pagan subjects would like to engage us in another theological debate.

We should...oblige them.

---------------------------

(OOC: Cutting it off there for now because I went a bit crazy with screenshotting. Second half should be up sometime tonight.)

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
First the Rome LP, now this.

Manicheans. :allears:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

The Carrot act is a sound strategy for, gently caress it, my kid can deal with whatever is actually making them unhappy. :P

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Amnistar posted:

The Carrot act is a sound strategy for, gently caress it, my kid can deal with whatever is actually making them unhappy. :P

That's why I find it's best to stagger my duchy creation; always ensure that new heir has a few to create for a quick infusion of prestige/guaranteed loyal dukes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How the hell are you getting that much tech this early? Do you have an Uber-Rabbi or something?

On a sidebar to the empire-naming thing - comedy trivia time! In Life of Brian, what is the only Jewish freedom movement that doesn't have "Judea" or "Judean" in its name?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jedit posted:

How the hell are you getting that much tech this early? Do you have an Uber-Rabbi or something?

On a sidebar to the empire-naming thing - comedy trivia time! In Life of Brian, what is the only Jewish freedom movement that doesn't have "Judea" or "Judean" in its name?

War. Lots and lots of war, specifically battles. Even fights give you a ton of military tech and we've been in a constant state of war that involved many combats with even forces.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Amnistar posted:

War. Lots and lots of war, specifically battles. Even fights give you a ton of military tech and we've been in a constant state of war that involved many combats with even forces.

We've also had spymasters going pretty constantly; the 50 tech point events fire relatively often.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

When we inherited we had a bunch of points saved up too.

And sure, archers may be better than horse cav for sieges. But they're slower on the strategic map! Still sad I didn't get to play this one. I had such glorious plans. I'd even picked out what I'd go for a title after my unfortunate demise.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Update 3: As We Remembered

So Bilyar decided to capitulate. This one went to a random courtier that passed me in the hallway one morning.

The Tengri revolters were quashed using the time-honored tactic of "2x the enemy troops, who don't move from where they're standing." I must give them credit, they were very close to breaching the walls of Sarkel.

Which is more than what the Christian goyim have going for them.

(OOC: Fun Fact: Catholicism has the weakest moral authority of all the non-heresy religions at 22. Expect to see the Karling states ping-pong between Lollard and Cathar.)

Oh, right. I started a war to obtain Bolghar. It was somehow duller than the Bilyar campaign.

Moving on.

The Orthodox goyim, spurred on by the Pope's magnificent display in the Holy Land, have begun their annual "gently caress the Jews" festival. They shall be dealt with.

I decided to restore the kingdom of Taurica. I'm not entirely sure why. My advisers said something about "prestige" and "you can't have an empire with only one kingdom title." Odd folk, those advisers.

The Tengri really need to look into new hobbies.

What even is a Miaphysite? Is it something you eat? Is it like that weird transubstantiation thing the Catholics do?

(OOC: This actually makes no sense; there are still more mainstream Coptic provinces than heretical ones.)

Sarkel is now part of Khazaria proper, so are a few other duchies my ancestors picked up.

----------------------------------------------

Journal of Khan Manar, exact date unknown (ca. 990 BCE)

I...I've been having dreams, you know. Strange ones. Stranger than usual. They're all the same thing:

I wake up lying on a river bank in the middle of a valley carved of bright red rock. The sun is blinding. There is a man sitting next to me, polishing a dagger. He was covered - completely covered - in gauze. For a moment, I thought I was lying next to an Egyptian mummy given life. He turned to me - the visible flesh around his eyes looked horrible scarred and burnt - and beckoned me to come closer.

I rose to my feet and tentatively stepped over to him. He looked to me again, and I saw him weeping. His gauze dampened as tears fell from his damaged eyes.

"Why to you weep?", I asked him.

He stared at me through watery eyes, and then said, his voice course and old:

"I weep when I remember Zion."

The dream ends there.

What could it mean? Is this a message from the Lord? We cannot take back the Holy Land - old Zion - not yet. I doubt we could in my lifetime, or my children's lifetime, or even my grandchildren's lifetime.

But - maybe it means something else. God's Chosen do not need a homeland in the proper Holy Land - not yet anyway. Perhaps Adonai is giving me permission to set up a homeland - if temporary - for our brethren. Our true brethren, not the steppe pagans who do not even speak our language or know our God.

God wishes for me to establish a grand refuge for his people - we, the Jews. And so I shall carry out his will.

From this day forth, we are no longer "Khazars" of "Khazaria". No, today we are something more. Today we embrace fully our heritage, that of Abraham, of Moses, of Jacob, of Judah Maccabee.

I hereby establish the grand Empire of Zion! Where a Jew can sleep soundly in his home! Where the laws of Moses are above all! Where the Tanakh may be read freely!

The Jews have a new home! If anyone dares challenge it, they will feel the stomping of our horses, the tips of our arrows, and the sight of our standard, and they will know that they trifle with the Chosen People!

Mi chamocha ba'elim Adonai!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

When we inherited we had a bunch of points saved up too.

That's because I refuse to spend military tech points on anything other than military organization.

Funky Valentine posted:

(OOC: This actually makes no sense; there are still more mainstream Coptic provinces than heretical ones.)

I think it's based on actual characters of the religion rather than provinces, but I could be wrong.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 9, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ulmont posted:

That's because I refuse to spend military tech points on anything other than military organization.

I think it's based on actual characters of the religion rather than provinces, but I could be wrong.

That doesn't explain the full 2 levels available to buy on construction in Economy!
Or the level in Legalism we could snatch up

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

What is our title? Emperor? Or is there a Khazarian version of it?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Veloxyll posted:

That doesn't explain the full 2 levels available to buy on construction in Economy!
Or the level in Legalism we could snatch up

*snort* Investing points into economy, that's a riot.

Amnistar posted:

What is our title? Emperor? Or is there a Khazarian version of it?

Khagan last I checked.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Campaign for Free Galilee, you mean?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Funky Valentine posted:

This one went to a random courtier that passed me in the hallway one morning.

The only true way to give out war gains.

"Hey, you! Yes, you! Who are you? The gardener? Well, not anymore, now you're the Duke of Kent because everybody in my family seemed to pick up Ambitious, so you'll have to do!"

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Let's conquer the world guys. Let's take all of Europe for now!

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So, we named our Empire after a vision of a nigh-immortal Mormon from a thousand years in the future?

That's awesome.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Finally I can post this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBWFofJSm-c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TheMcD posted:

The only true way to give out war gains.

"Hey, you! Yes, you! Who are you? The gardener? Well, not anymore, now you're the Duke of Kent because everybody in my family seemed to pick up Ambitious, so you'll have to do!"

I always end up pushing the "Invite Holy Man to Court" button a lot. It's like the next step.

"Bob! Go find me a priest to take over the Duchy of Kent!"

"But...what about me?"

"What about you? I'm talking to you - go find me that guy!"

"Yes, your Highness."

• Locked thread