Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Baldbeard posted:

What's the consensus, if is there one, on Game Maker/Game Maker studio? I've been enjoying the art/design side of game development a lot more lately and I'm looking for something really easy to get a simple 2d project out there. I was working in flash, but I still felt like I was getting bogged down with coding the UI and game state/screen changes etc... of the game. Would something like game maker be simpler? Although probably less powerful.

Now that Unity has decent 2d support I'm probably never going back to GM. It just has too much fiddly buggy poo poo to deal with to be worth it.

The one big exception, however, is for super rough prototypes. If you want to spend 30 minutes making the roughest possible prototype for an element of your game, Game Maker is exactly what you're looking for (assuming you're comfortable enough with it to be fast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Stick100 posted:

When the month runs out they don't remove the source code access so you can keep getting the newer versions (as long as you build them yourself).

The way it's supposed to work is if your sub lapses you lose access to updates via GitHub and via the Launcher.
If that isn't happening then it's an accounting bug that should probably be reported, lol.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I hear Flash kinda sucks, will using it ruin me forever when I want to work on more ambitious projects later?

For the moment it seems like it'll do well for what I want to do on basic kinds of prototype-y things but since I have heard from people who know better Flash isn't really that great I don't want to get stuck with bad habits I'll have to unlearn.

I've already spent some time with XNA but the amount of time I need to learn it isn't something I have available right now, particularly when I'm also working on creating my own art assets.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Flash won't teach you anything terrible; Actionscript's a perfectly modern language, and Flex is now open source in the hands of Apache. When people complain about Flash it's really about the Flash Player which does have a history of security and performance issues. But it's easy to pick up and there's a ton of game stuff out there for it.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

coffeetable posted:

Also because until you've made a few things, you dramatically underestimate the amount of work required. There is a reason that frameworks are so popular.
It's not really a matter of underestimation as it is doing things that actually accomplish your goals. The best way I can think of describing the problem is that a lot of people measure progress in terms of hours spent when they should be measuring it in hours remaining. Anyone who doesn't realize that will waste endless hours chasing "improvements" that bring them no closer to completion.

My concern is much less with the decision to use C++ and SFML than the decision to use it because it will be more work.

Subjunctive posted:

I think building something that you want to build is a perfectly fine undertaking, though it's not necessarily the most efficient way to get to some farther end goal. Doing a tutorial isn't that different.

I think lots of people write games for the journey and satisfaction of creation as much as for the unique thing that's created.
Sure, and I have no problem with that. What I'm saying though is that's not an approach that will lead to a finished game, and if that's something that anyone would rather do than actually finish a game, then they'd be better off with a goal that reflects that.

As an example, I was making "a game" at one point in a pretty aimless fashion and there was a component of it that I thought could be developed into something really interesting in its own right, but it would take much longer than just using a less-optimal canned solution and would have been much less useful to anyone else if I only developed it as much as needed to be useful for the game.

I ended up deciding I'd rather work on that component, so I shelved the game, broke the component off to its own project, came up with a new plan to finish it, and it's coming along very well. I'm expecting it to be done later this year.

I think that's a better idea than working on a game that will be in a permanent state of feature creep. That said, anyone that's interested in the journey and doing a bunch of different things should know that they'll wind up doing a bunch of different things over the course of any remotely complex game anyway, so progress absolutely doesn't need to be sacrificed for it.

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

A short little question. Can I have this:
code:
{
	velocity.x = maxVelocity.x * 0.5;
	height = 8; //change the hitbox height
	offset.y = 5; //make the player fit to the hitbox
	y = y + 5; //needed so the player doesn't jump up when being offset
}

{
	height = 13; //change height back to normal
	offset.y = 0; //along with offset
	y = y - 5; //and y position
}
Without the game going "you havn't touched the floor for at least a frame."?

Same thing happens if I just have the player spawn.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to have the player not stop touching the ground on demand, or alternatively a way to write this code so the player will not stop touching the ground in the first place. Though I don't know how that would work in the case of just spawning him, because that's nothing but saying create player at x/y.

e: Okay, at least in the case of the code I posted, the problem was using a variable for checking if the height is 13 or 8 in if functions. Now that I've switched it to directly checking if the height is 13 or 8, and not an extra variable that checks what the height is and changes to 0 or 1 and then gets checked itself, it works. Can anybody explain why that is, or if using a boolean would not have had that problem and why?

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 9, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

The way it's supposed to work is if your sub lapses you lose access to updates via GitHub and via the Launcher.
If that isn't happening then it's an accounting bug that should probably be reported, lol.

You do lose access to the newer version via launcher but the github still works. You do still have access to the older version via launcher too.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Stick100 posted:

You do lose access to the newer version via launcher but the github still works. You do still have access to the older version via launcher too.

Github still works with getting at the EpicGames repo? Because it shouldnt. But your own forked repo should stay intacted.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 9, 2014

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Pizzatime posted:

e: Okay, at least in the case of the code I posted, the problem was using a variable for checking if the height is 13 or 8 in if functions. Now that I've switched it to directly checking if the height is 13 or 8, and not an extra variable that checks what the height is and changes to 0 or 1 and then gets checked itself, it works. Can anybody explain why that is, or if using a boolean would not have had that problem and why?
Without seeing the code in question, I'm going to go with a boolean would not have had that problem, and the reason you think it would is that your code involving the boolean didn't actually do what you think it did.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

xgalaxy posted:

Github still works with getting at the EpicGames repo? Because it shouldnt.

The last I heard is that you retain access to the source, but you have to build it yourself (with everything that entails). The $20/month gets you continuing builds using the latest.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

dupersaurus posted:

The last I heard is that you retain access to the source, but you have to build it yourself (with everything that entails). The $20/month gets you continuing builds using the latest.

Listen, for people who don't know how github and the EpicGames thing works.
- When you pay the $20/mo you get access to the EpicGames company private repos.
- You are supposed to fork the engine repo, so the repo appears under your private account

If you don't fork it, and you let your sub lapses, you should (if everything works correctly) lose access to the EpicGames company repos. And since you didn't fork that means you can't get access to the engine from GitHub anymore. So the only way would be to get old versions from the launcher.

If you do fork it, and your sub lapses, you should (if everything works correctly) lose access to the EpicGames company repos, but you will still have access to your private fork. This means you still have code access, but no more new changes since you no longer have access to EpicGames parent repo.

That is how it is supposed to work, but it sounds like maybe the Github part isn't shutting off access to the parent EpicGames repo, unless Stick100 is mistaken.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 9, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

If you do fork it, and your sub lapses, you should (if everything works correctly) lose access to the EpicGames company repos, but you will still have access to your private fork. This means you still have code access, but no more new changes since you no longer have access to EpicGames parent repo.

That's what I had expected.

But after my sub lapsed I still have access to the company repo. The launcher still works too, but will only let you get the 4.0.1 instead of 4.1. I built 4.1 from source (downloaded from Github) after my sub had lapsed.

I did lose access to the new marketplace content (like the elements demo).

I don't know if this is what they intend but it might be. They talked about wanting to keep pumping content into the marketplace as a way to keep interest going, they might be willing to let you have the source including updates without a subscription.

TL:DR: I had a sub, it lapsed I still have access to the EpicGames repo.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Stick100 posted:

That's what I had expected.

But after my sub lapsed I still have access to the company repo. The launcher still works too, but will only let you get the 4.0.1 instead of 4.1. I built 4.1 from source (downloaded from Github) after my sub had lapsed.

I did lose access to the new marketplace content (like the elements demo).

I don't know if this is what they intend but it might be. They talked about wanting to keep pumping content into the marketplace as a way to keep interest going, they might be willing to let you have the source including updates without a subscription.

TL:DR: I had a sub, it lapsed I still have access to the EpicGames repo.

Haha, oops. Well enjoy your free stuff I guess :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

Also I agree with OneEightHundred, just use C++ the good parts, also lovingly called "C with classes" or "C+", and don't use any of the poo poo, which there is a lot.

The problem is that nobody can agree on which 10% of C++ that is actually good, so you have to know all of it if you work with a team of four or more people.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The problem is that nobody can agree on which 10% of C++ that is actually good, so you have to know all of it if you work with a team of four or more people.

The best 20% minus the favorite 10% of whoever I'm talking to. :smugbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

OneEightHundred posted:

It's not really a matter of underestimation as it is doing things that actually accomplish your goals. The best way I can think of describing the problem is that a lot of people measure progress in terms of hours spent when they should be measuring it in hours remaining. Anyone who doesn't realize that will waste endless hours chasing "improvements" that bring them no closer to completion.

While frameworks are nice, I've often spent a lot of time fighting them. It's sometimes nice and refreshing to just write the drat game in code, rather than juggling around your toolchain's asset formats, Lua scripting, injecting in component entities and so forth.

Also, the hard part of the game isn't the coding, it's the actual making the game part. You can add in all the fancy engine features and new effects you want to your test room, but that isn't making your game, it's just dicking around with code.

I'm very much guilty of this myself, because dicking around and making new lighting effects and displacement and cell shading is fun! But I don't pretend I'm making a game in the process.

Your assets (art, music, sound), your level design, your writing, your content is what you need to be focusing on if you want to finish a game.

Even a game like Dark Souls doesn't really have that much code implementing Dark Souls. Dark Souls had four programmers, while the rest of the team were the writers, game designers, artists, visual design, composers, sound FX, etc. One of those programmers wasn't writing the game, they were writing internal tooling to help build the drat game.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even a game like Dark Souls doesn't really have that much code implementing Dark Souls. Dark Souls had four programmers, while the rest of the team were the writers, game designers, artists, visual design, composers, sound FX, etc. One of those programmers wasn't writing the game, they were writing internal tooling to help build the drat game.
Dark Souls credits 19 programmers and didn't credit them by role except for the 1 lead, not sure where you're getting that info from.

How much you need depends a lot on the type of game. Some games demand more in terms of content quality than quantity (i.e. puzzle games), multiplayer games generally don't need as much content as campaigns, and it's very possible to create a game that effectively generates content through chaos and interaction. There are some games that are almost entirely technology, like Audiosurf.

Speaking of content being a pain in the rear end though, if anyone here wants to make mad cash, please invent a way to do mocap in a room the size of a 1-car garage with <$2000 of hardware.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

Speaking of content being a pain in the rear end though, if anyone here wants to make mad cash, please invent a way to do mocap in a room the size of a 1-car garage with <$2000 of hardware.

How does $429 sound?

http://priovr.com/

Really looking forward to getting my Pro set from the Kickstarter soon. It looks pretty good for the price. I'm way more interested in it for mocap than VR.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

OneEightHundred posted:

The Kinect is <$2k, I believe. I tried out the free version of Brekel Body a while back, and although the output wasn't amazing(I've worked with AscensionTech stuff previously), it was certainly workable.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

OneEightHundred posted:

Is low-budget mocap really all that valuable? You still need a competent artist to go over the data, smooth it, and add back in the "soul" that mocap either jitters away or isn't accurate enough to pick up.

EDIT: I guess I've never actually done a game with normal, humanoid animations. Absolutely everything I've ever done has been comic, or side-scrolling, or similarly not "normal dude with a sword/gun." It probably makes way more sense in a shootmans or swordmans kinda game, something with normal dudes in it that don't squash and stretch.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 10, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

One Eye Open posted:

The Kinect is <$2k, I believe. I tried out the free version of Brekel Body a while back, and although the output wasn't amazing(I've worked with AscensionTech stuff previously), it was certainly workable.
Last I knew, the Kinect has difficulty with movements that aren't along the camera plane because it's ultimately a single-point photographic system, which hampers it a lot in the case of things like running. It looks promising for facial capture though.

An accelerometer or multi-point capture system is really ideal. PrioVR looks really good.

Shalinor posted:

Is low-budget mocap really all that valuable? You still need a competent artist to go over the data, smooth it, and add back in the "soul" that mocap either jitters away or isn't accurate enough to pick up.
Compared to making the animations entirely by hand, yes.

e: That's especially the case for prototyping and experimentation. Being able to go from "I need this animation" to having it the same day in a state that has decent resemblance to what the final cut will look like (if you don't decide that it sucks, in which case you've wasted very little time) is extremely useful.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 10, 2014

Jewel
May 2, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Last I knew, the Kinect has difficulty with movements that aren't along the camera plane because it's ultimately a single-point photographic system, which hampers it a lot in the case of things like running. It looks promising for facial capture though.

People fixed this a little by using two Kinekt's, which is still pretty cheap, and you can borrow a friends' if they own an xbox and aren't using the Kinekt. Or get one cheap second hand. Gaming tech goes around the market a lot more often than real mocap gear.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

OneEightHundred posted:

Compared to making the animations entirely by hand, yes.

Yeah I spent I think 2-3 hours the other day making a walking animation. It's an incredible amount of work

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
You'll probably be able to do it with a couple Kinects in a few years; that's where I'd start, if I was going to do it, at least.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'd appreciate some advice about how I should learn. To be brief, I've discovered that I have a passion for VR but I have no experience with software development. I've been learning on my own this month, but I can already see that this uphill battle will defeat me unless I get some direction/lessons. The skill-set game developers need is impressive.

Part of me wants to learn a programming language because it seems like a helpful and important step, but I'm mostly interested in VR and UE4 can do it with blueprints only. However, documentation is extremely scarce, I'm having a difficult time with it, and anything complicated requires C++ (a language low on my list to learn). I can't afford a pro license for Unity. Where would you start if you were me? Then, where would you go with it? Am I trying to jump too far ahead (if so, is it truly impossible to be successful doing that?). Thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ericadia posted:

Yeah I spent I think 2-3 hours the other day making a walking animation. It's an incredible amount of work

When everyone was raving about how awesome the kinect is, I spent an entire weekend getting a busted rear end walk animation into Source. It's even more work. :v:

Supposedly it's better now but you gotta buy $500 pieces of software and that shoves it out of hobbyist territory.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tenacious J posted:

I'd appreciate some advice about how I should learn. To be brief, I've discovered that I have a passion for VR but I have no experience with software development. I've been learning on my own this month, but I can already see that this uphill battle will defeat me unless I get some direction/lessons. The skill-set game developers need is impressive.

Part of me wants to learn a programming language because it seems like a helpful and important step, but I'm mostly interested in VR and UE4 can do it with blueprints only. However, documentation is extremely scarce, I'm having a difficult time with it, and anything complicated requires C++ (a language low on my list to learn). I can't afford a pro license for Unity. Where would you start if you were me? Then, where would you go with it? Am I trying to jump too far ahead (if so, is it truly impossible to be successful doing that?). Thanks.

You can make a full game in unity without a pro license. If you want to make a 3d game, that's the place to start. There's lots of documentation as well as tutorials, most of which teach you C# along with the API.

E: is there a particular reason why you don't want to learn C++?

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 10, 2014

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

It's definitely not impossible. It's not like everybody who makes games has been programming their entire lives... many of them just did the same thing you're doing and decided to learn one day. Generally the best advice is to start with small projects, complete them, and work your way up. Start by following a tutorial and making a breakout clone or something. Then see if you can do an asteroids clone on your own. Then join the 2014 SAGDC with the goal of completing a full (very small scale) game by the end. You'll learn a ton at every step, I think you'll be surprised how fast you can get something playable running. That should give you a basic understanding of how to implement features and some ideas of what direction to go in next.

From a technical perspective, just pick an engine. UE4 and Unity are both fine for your purposes. Unity Pro is totally unnecessary at your level. Off the top of my head I'd suggest Unity just because it's free and there are a million tutorials, but they'll both work fine.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

The problem with unity (free) is that it doesn't support VR. UE4 does, but there are very few tutorials.

Also I was avoiding C++ mainly because of the opinions I've picked up from devs saying that there are much less tedious and easier languages out there like C#.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tenacious J posted:

The problem with unity (free) is that it doesn't support VR. UE4 does, but there are very few tutorials.

Also I was avoiding C++ mainly because of the opinions I've picked up from devs saying that there are much less tedious and easier languages out there like C#.

There are going to be very few tutorials for any system and VR because it's so new/niche right now. Unity has some support for Oculus Rift, I know some companies are currently using Unity for VR projects. I don't know if they are using Pro or Free however.

A big question is also what are you professional interests/aspirations separate of game development. I've worked in about 7 languages over the past couple years, but since I spend most of my time in C# Unity works much better for me.

Also keep in mind with Unreal and a pretty good blueprint system you don't really even need to learn to code for many simple games.

If you want to do C# or JS professionally use Unity. If you want to do C++ then UE4 is the best current option IMO.

If you want to do C# also Monogame is a pretty good option.

EDIT: Removed Unity JS as apparently it's horrible.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 11, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Stick100 posted:

If you want to do C# or JS professionally use Unity.

No, no, no. The bastardized Javascript that is UnityScript will teach you nothing but horrible things. Under no circumstances should you attempt to use it, for any reason.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Thanks for the replies so far. I should mention that game design is (as far as I can see) unrelated to my career goals. My field is not even technical.

I see the logic in your suggestions, but I keep getting hung up on VR. For instance, if my dream was to make a 3D game, I would know I'd need to learn C#, then Unity etc. and those are nice, clear goals.

I feel that with UE4 it's just: figure everything out all at once. But it also seems like the "fastest" path to VR development.

...by writing all this now it makes me wonder if I'm being naive about something.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Tenacious J posted:

...by writing all this now it makes me wonder if I'm being naive about something.
Yep.

There's literally no difference in the "what you need to learn" between UE4 and Unity, you're making some magical distinction between the two in your brain machine.

For UE4, you sit down, follow the tutorials, and learn the engine. In the process or before, you learn C++.

For Unity 3D, you sit down, follow the tutorials, and learn the engine. In the process or before, you learn C#.

About the only different is with UE4, it's slightly easier to ease in via their Blueprint system (the visual coding system), whereas in Unity, it's just "learn C# or go home crying." Technically there's a Blueprint equivalent available for Unity called PlayMaker, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the money (it's 3rd party) for your purposes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We were all naive once. It's called being young. :v:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wish I could blame youth for my naivety. Learning how to make a small cohesive game is a hell of a thing.

Has anyone else found disabling / enabling gameobjects in Unity to be oddly slow? Like it's a visible pause from gameObject.SetActive() to it taking affect. The way my levels are generated is with a hierarchy set up for easily disabling whole sections of the level. This works well enough for a GO with few child objects but for something with a lot of depth I'm surprised to see it takes so long to enable.

It is actually faster to gather all the mesh renderers, colliders, etc and zip through that list disabling or enabling them when needed which seems odd.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Thanks, that's helpful.

I thinking now it would be best to start with C# and Unity, and then transfer over to UE4 for its VR capabilities when I'm ready. This way, I have a wealth of information and tutorials to follow, which doesn't exist for UE4.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Screenshot saturday! Stretching my new php legs (from transition at work to a php-based product :gonk:), today I re-wrote our old static page as a little blog site from scratch that's actually pretty zippy to use!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Tenacious J posted:

I thinking now it would be best to start with C# and Unity, and then transfer over to UE4 for its VR capabilities when I'm ready. This way, I have a wealth of information and tutorials to follow, which doesn't exist for UE4.
This is probably an excellent call. Also, once you know C#, learning C++ (especially the style of C++ that UE4 will enforce) shouldn't be all that much worse by comparison. But there's less you can gently caress up with C#, so it's a better starting point.

Just, again, DO NOT use Unityscript. Or Boo. Unity is a C# engine, done and done.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

We were all naive once. It's called being young. :v:

You want naive? Let me tell you about my first game jam - I had two and a half quarters of C++ under my belt, and decided to do a 2d platformer with a few artist friends. Didn't think I'd have time to learn a framework in the time allotted so I decided to make my own engine, with SDL for graphics/sound as the only external library.

And also write the music for it, because why not?

We barely managed to get out a one-screen prototype with wonky collision detection and a kickass soundtrack. The lesson I learned is that building your own engine is the best cure for wanting to build your own engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Does making a game from the stock JDK libraries count as trying to make a game engine? If so I feel kind of discouraged reading these last posts.

Either way here's a shot of testing out randomised character sprites built from parts: