Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Flameingblack posted:

I honestly keep giving my LCS chance after chance and they manage to spectacularly gently caress it up every time.

Strike one: When I first went there, they were releasing Wednesday's comics on Friday, if I were lucky enough. Goons called the store and punked them out.
Strike two: They weren't selling Miracle Man because the owner didn't like Alan Moore. Alan Moore wasn't even getting paid for this comic so whatever.
Strike Three: They order so little Marvel comics that they might as well not carry them at all. I get there by noon and they're sold out of almost all Marvel comics.
Strike Four: Free comicbook day bullshit where they were charging for the free comic books.

I'd just prefer to buy everything digital or from TFAW. Their tag-line is "The only game in town!" and it's true. They can get away with this nonsense because the next closest comic shop is almost an hour and a half away. I would have rather just had digitals of the free comics as well.

I have a few options around here. On the other hand, I do not want physical books (the storage is insane if you read a lot, or it's wasting money to throw it away), the comic book shops tend to be dead empty (and have one of the counter guys following me around) or it's full of people (and most of the stores I know of are tiny).

I've found one store I vaguely like that I'll occasionally browse for trades. But it's too out of the way to go weekly, and going on FCBD (which I'd imagine is a big day for them, peoplewise) just sounds horrifying.

I buy a lot of comics every week. I get that retail stores want to keep in business and that a lot of people want them to, but this just feels too much like music companies trying to hold onto the physical at the expense of digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

EVGA Longoria posted:

I buy a lot of comics every week. I get that retail stores want to keep in business and that a lot of people want them to, but this just feels too much like music companies trying to hold onto the physical at the expense of digital.
I spend around $20 a week on comics, yeah. But all of that money goes to Comixology because of how piss-poor my LCS is. FCBD didn't help me change my mind one bit, but if I had a good comic book shop I'd be spending it all there. Comixology is knocking it out of the park with all their sales, some of them are just too good to pass.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

I spend around $20 a week on comics, yeah. But all of that money goes to Comixology because of how piss-poor my LCS is. FCBD didn't help me change my mind one bit, but if I had a good comic book shop I'd be spending it all there. Comixology is knocking it out of the park with all their sales, some of them are just too good to pass.

There are plenty of places that you can order the physical books from if you don't want to support your local store. DCBS is actually like 3 minutes away from where I live so even though you're ordering online you're still supporting someone's LCBS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really want more floppies cluttering things up, so I'm digital only for weekly stuff, but still buy physical collections of things I like enough to double dip on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My shop is fine for the big Marvel and DC books, but good luck on anything indie or a lower volume seller. I have a pull list there and get 1-3 books a week, but they have an annoying habit of forgetting to put books in your box and running out of extra copies (at noon on Wednesday!).

They're getting better and I don't pay full price for books on comiXology, so they're still my go to for big two books (well, Marvel books and Wonder Woman).

With Image being awesome, I'm slowly switching to all digital with them. Still getting Saga and Prophet from the store, Manhattan Projects and East of West in trade, but all new series from them I buy digitally from Image's site.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Horse's FCBD stuff is up now.
https://digital.darkhorse.com/searc...paign%20Monitor

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I already knew about it, but man is Chew good. Thanks, Humble Bundle!

How many volumes of that are around?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still new to Marvel Unlimited, but what day does it get 'new' comics? Had it since Tuesday and it still just showing the same thing on the front page. As for Unlimited itself, I am loving it, but wished the older comics were a little more optimized since they have a lot of space around the pages and I have to zoom those out on the Nexus 7.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rirse posted:

Still new to Marvel Unlimited, but what day does it get 'new' comics? Had it since Tuesday and it still just showing the same thing on the front page. As for Unlimited itself, I am loving it, but wished the older comics were a little more optimized since they have a lot of space around the pages and I have to zoom those out on the Nexus 7.

Monday morning is when the emails comes out, I think the "New" page starts populating late Sunday evening.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Senor Candle posted:

Dude the entire point of FCBD is to get people into stores.

And the major point of Comixology was to throw a bone to those who don't live anywhere near a retailer, so....catch-22?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goddammit. I liked what I saw of Comixology on my ipad. Put off signing up for a few weeks, then come back to a really awful lovely app instead?

Why.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Scarlet Spider is on sale for .99. Go and buy it as it's an amazing series

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Amazon didn't want them to keep giving Apple a cut from in-app purchases.

I dunno what the IOS app looks like now, but that's why it changed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 9, 2014

SMP
May 5, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

If I go into this knowing nothing about Spider-Man except what I know from the movies will I get it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SMP posted:

If I go into this knowing nothing about Spider-Man except what I know from the movies will I get it?

Kaine is a clone a Peter Parker. He used to be a badguy but no he is going to live his life not being a badguy or hero.
Just read it, it's really good

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 9, 2014

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

SynthOrange posted:

Goddammit. I liked what I saw of Comixology on my ipad. Put off signing up for a few weeks, then come back to a really awful lovely app instead?

Why.

Synth, you can still use the old app to read and browse on and download to, you just have to buy via the website now.

VVV: No argument here.

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 9, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its still ridiculous and backwards though.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

Thanks! I came to the thread looking for opinions on this.
As someone who grew up in the eighties/nineties, I have this knee jerk reaction when I come across Venom/Carnage/Scarlet Spider stuff and tend to dismiss it.

After reading Remender's first Venom trade, I've been beating myself for having these reactions and ignoring the $.99 sale a couple of months ago. Time to cope with my nineties PTSD.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SMP posted:

bobkatt013 posted:

Kaine is a clone a Peter Parker. He used to be a badguy but no he is going to live his life not being a badguy or hero.
Just read it, it's really good

That and he can turn invisible, talk to spiders and stab people with a stinger thingy. (As someone who started reading cold they were the three things I didn't know he could do)

But yeah it's great.

edit: Has anyone read the Black Bat? Looks kinda goofy fun.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Aw, dammit. My pile of books to read is way too big, but I can't pass up getting the second half of the run.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PelvicNerve posted:

After reading Remender's first Venom trade, I've been beating myself for having these reactions and ignoring the $.99 sale a couple of months ago. Time to cope with my nineties PTSD.

This post made me curious so I read the first couple issues of Remender's Venom while drinking my coffee this morning and yeah, this is a keeper. For all my problems with Marvel Unlimited, it's times like this when the price feels worth it.

I know this isn't the recommendation thread, but thanks all the same!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The stuff with Flash and his dad is as good as the Minimum Carnage is maximum garbage.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My modest comic book collection contains every issue of Scarlet Spider.

Except like, the last Venom / Minimum Carnage Omega issues because gently caress that poo poo

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Huh, Comixology just let me pay with my UK PayPal on the US store front. Maybe it got confused because I still had $0.02 credit.

Y'all better be getting Scarlet Spider. Best Spider-Man in a while. I just ordered the trades of vols 3 and 4 unfortunately, and I won't be double dipping.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone have a coupon/discount code for Marvel Unlimited? Last time I upped it was 50 bucks now it's 70 :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LordPants posted:

My modest comic book collection contains every issue of Scarlet Spider.

Except like, the last Venom / Minimum Carnage Omega issues because gently caress that poo poo

Minimum Carnage Alpha and Omega are some of the few issues I paid full price for. :( (I had the Venom and Scarlet Spider issues and wanted the whole thing).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone have a coupon/discount code for Marvel Unlimited? Last time I upped it was 50 bucks now it's 70 :(
Last SXSW there was a discount code to get it for $1 for a month, and it's legitimately the best dollar I spent, but the Android version of the app is still really shaky and I'm going to wait until that's fixed and more reliable before I pay full subscription price.

I guess you can try and see if the code still works, since the page is still up:
http://marvel.com/SXSW14

and if not, Retailmenot is great for everything:
http://www.retailmenot.com/s/marvel+unlimited

COMEBACK3
20MARVEL

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you use the code PATKER14, Marvel will give you "Special Edition Digital Exclusive Amazing Spider-Man #1, a $9.99 value" as a gift, so there's that...

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Flameingblack posted:

Last SXSW there was a discount code to get it for $1 for a month, and it's legitimately the best dollar I spent, but the Android version of the app is still really shaky and I'm going to wait until that's fixed and more reliable before I pay full subscription price.

I guess you can try and see if the code still works, since the page is still up:
http://marvel.com/SXSW14

and if not, Retailmenot is great for everything:
http://www.retailmenot.com/s/marvel+unlimited

COMEBACK3
20MARVEL

How are they on old issues. I've always wanted to read the old key issues of Spider-Man for instance. The old green goblin books, death of gwen, amazing fantasy 15.

I'm sure they are NOT good by today's standards, but there is still that something special to them.

E: Also the SXSW14 code they provided has expired. pits.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 9, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

If you use the code PATKER14, Marvel will give you "Special Edition Digital Exclusive Amazing Spider-Man #1, a $9.99 value" as a gift, so there's that...

Where do you enter this at? Didn't work on the Marvel digital shop.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

How are they on old issues. I've always wanted to read the old key issues of Spider-Man for instance. The old green goblin books, death of gwen, amazing fantasy 15.

I'm sure they are NOT good by today's standards, but there is still that something special to them.

For the most part the old issues still hold up, but suffer a little due to having a lot of white space that needs to be cropped by zooming in if your on a smaller screen like the Nexus 7.

This is a example what I mean from Infinite Gauntlet #1. Also minor question, but who is that round alien with the crowd in this first panel?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

They've got an unimaginable amount of old comics, but they're about 6-8 months behind on current stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Where do you enter this at? Didn't work on the Marvel digital shop.

Oops, sorry, I meant when you sign up for Marvel Unlimited. I don't know where you enter the code, I just paraphrased what I read in the email Marvel sent me.

Edit: According to ComicBookDB, it's Judge Kray-Tor. Has some vaguely defined "graviton" powers.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 9, 2014

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Flameingblack posted:

They've got an unimaginable amount of old comics, but they're about 6-8 months behind on current stuff.

Seeing as how I don't keep up with many comics as is right now, that's probably the best deal for me. Knowing nothing about SXSW, is there anything coming up for it that we may get another deal for it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

This is a example what I mean from Infinite Gauntlet #1. Also minor question, but who is that round alien with the crowd in this first panel?

That's Judge Kray-Tor. Early Adam Warlock stuff, basically everything before Infinity Gauntlet, is loving weird.

Edit: Goddamn it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Seeing as how I don't keep up with many comics as is right now, that's probably the best deal for me. Knowing nothing about SXSW, is there anything coming up for it that we may get another deal for it?
Comic-Con in July, or perhaps the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure you can search the Marvel Unlimited website even as a non-subscriber. You can check and see whether the arcs you want to read are available or not, and even see the first few pages of each.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

I'm pretty sure you can search the Marvel Unlimited website even as a non-subscriber. You can check and see whether the arcs you want to read are available or not, and even see the first few pages of each.
Here's that list, too.
http://marvel.com/comics/series

Just go to the series you're looking for and click on the "Marvel Unlimited" box and it will show you if it's up or not. It's a lot quicker than looking things up in the app, a lot of the time.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just wished Marvel Unlimited had the rest of the Taskmaster series. They just have the first two issues. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis sale
https://www.comixology.com/Brian-Michael-Bendis-Sale/page/1907

His Icon graphic novels incl. a bundle, Incredible, and Scarlet.

Scarlet's good, right?

LordPants posted:

Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.

Yeah. A bunch have before they end up churning out company books and stick to writing.
Jonathan Hickman started out drawing his comics (The Nightly News, Pax Romana.) He has a Fantastic Four cover variant coming out and that's the first I've heard of him drawing since.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bendis drew a comic book? I never knew that.