Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

IUG posted:

So I haven't used RSS in a while, and last time I really did on the Mac it was built into the Mail app. I see that it's gone, did it move to some other 1st party app, or will I need to go 3rd party?

You'll need to go third party. There's always NetNewsWire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

You'll need to go third party. There's always NetNewsWire.

Yeah, I was just hoping to not have another app open for whatever reason. Or a low functioning one. I believe I used to use this program a while ago (It had a black circle symbol with a flame in the center?). What are the limits of not buying it? I can't seem to find them in the application or on the website.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
NetNewsWire has been my client of choice for years. The limitations seem to be ads.

Right now NNW 4.0 is in "beta" and as far as I know doesn't have any restrictions, but it clearly has functionality problems, like being unable to use column headers to sort/organize. 3.3.2 is perfectly fine but it doesn't handle large images well, and a lot of the blogs I've been following have been using retina resources which 3.3.2 doesn't scale automatically.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

IUG posted:

Yeah, I was just hoping to not have another app open for whatever reason. Or a low functioning one. I believe I used to use this program a while ago (It had a black circle symbol with a flame in the center?). What are the limits of not buying it? I can't seem to find them in the application or on the website.

Feedly is web based and works pretty drat well. Their iOS app is great too.

Only real draw back is you can't search without paying for their upgraded service.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A tenth build of 10.9.3 (13D57) went out to Apple employees. That usually precedes a GM release, so maybe we'll get it on Monday.
And now a 10.9.4 alpha has already gone out to employees. Where are you, 10.9.3?

Don't ask why I get so interested in this stuff. I'm just weird like that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Does anyone have a good, definitive solution for blocking clipboard hijacking on websites? I'm sick to death of newspapers, etc breaking clipboard behaviour by adding their 'read more' attribution link when I copy a block of text. I know John Gruber had a solution way back when by adding a hosts file entry, but that doesn't quite do it - it only addresses a single host (from which the offending javascript is served) so it's an inherently non-robust solution.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

And now a 10.9.4 alpha has already gone out to employees. Where are you, 10.9.3?

Don't ask why I get so interested in this stuff. I'm just weird like that.

Strangely enough, I've joined the Beta access program - but seem to be stuck at 10.9.3 (13D45a). Can't seem to be able to download any other build.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kidney Stone posted:

Strangely enough, I've joined the Beta access program - but seem to be stuck at 10.9.3 (13D45a). Can't seem to be able to download any other build.
The public beta is currently not serving anything newer than 13D45a for 10.9.3. Developers last got 13D55, and Apple internally seeded 13D57 (presumably the GM build).

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

The public beta is currently not serving anything newer than 13D45a for 10.9.3. Developers last got 13D55, and Apple internally seeded 13D57 (presumably the GM build).

Cool, no worries then.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Lexicon posted:

Does anyone have a good, definitive solution for blocking clipboard hijacking on websites? I'm sick to death of newspapers, etc breaking clipboard behaviour by adding their 'read more' attribution link when I copy a block of text. I know John Gruber had a solution way back when by adding a hosts file entry, but that doesn't quite do it - it only addresses a single host (from which the offending javascript is served) so it's an inherently non-robust solution.

turn off javascript

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

turn off javascript

I was hoping there'd be a way without resorting to throwing my computer into the ocean.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I was hoping there'd be a way without resorting to throwing my computer into the ocean.

Removing a protocol that Apple doesn't include on purpose because it's awful and riddled with security holes is like throwing your machine in the ocean?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

Removing a protocol that Apple doesn't include on purpose because it's awful and riddled with security holes is like throwing your machine in the ocean?

Slow down fella. Java != JavaScript

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Granite Octopus posted:

Slow down fella. Java != JavaScript

Nor is either a protocol.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This fellow demonstrates for us all how a little knowledge is dangerous:

Kingnothing posted:

Java : JavaScript :: car : carpet

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

If there was some line of js code that all these clipboard fuckery scripts had in common, would it be possible to have a greasemonkey script filtering them out?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I've been looking at Disk warrior 4.x for a while, but there's no trial version available and I'm reluctant to drop $99 sight unseen. Do any of you have any opinions, positive or negative?

I guess I'm looking for something that gives me the flexibility that something like Norton Utilities used to when it comes to repairing disks or retrieving data, although I'm going back a way here.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Are you literally a Peregrine Falcon?

That reminds me of when one of my friends, who has a retina MacBook Pro, showed off what it looked like when he was running Windows 7 on it at the 100% screen scaling size. Default UI text size was as tall as the 2€ coin he held up to the screen was thick.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Lexicon posted:

I don't know what browser you use but I would think something like this would work.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-copy/bijpdibkloghppkbmhcklkogpjaenfkg?hl=en

Also to be clear it's not hijacking your clipboard. It's hijacking the value of the text.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

binarysmurf posted:

I've been looking at Disk warrior 4.x for a while, but there's no trial version available and I'm reluctant to drop $99 sight unseen. Do any of you have any opinions, positive or negative?

I guess I'm looking for something that gives me the flexibility that something like Norton Utilities used to when it comes to repairing disks or retrieving data, although I'm going back a way here.

Disk warrior saved my rear end so many times. Depends on how much you value your data I guess and how well you back your stuff up. If you're storing everything on one drive, reconsider that. It does well for recovery/repair and doesn't take long though.

A long time ago I had catalog B tree problems and cross linked files but i think this was 10.4 - 10.5 or earlier era.

These days I Disk Drill protect my drives but haven't had many problems that I needed Diskwarrior for. If you use external drives a lot, I'd recommend it for these one off problems. Haven't used it in the last year that I remember.

If the drive is 100% dead, not much Diskwarrior will do though obviously.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BobHoward posted:

There's a freeware menu item in the App Store called Display Menu which will set 2880x1800. It's probably a decent utility on non-Retina machines, but on Retinas it is poo poo. Doesn't detect all the HiDPI modes correctly, so you need to use the normal Displays preferences to set the retina 1440 or scaled 1680/1920 modes. However, it will detect and set 2880, and you can't beat free if you just want to find out whether you can live with 2880.

Heh. So the developer just released an update which supposedly fixes the retina issues. I say "supposedly" because I can't test it -- he's made full retina support (and scriptability) a $1.99 in-app purchase, and I haven't bought.

No reason why it wouldn't work, though, and at $1.99 it's a much cheaper alternative to SwitchResX if you just need something in your menubar to flip between resolutions.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm a brand new Macbook AIr user, never owned anything Apple before in my life. I'm absolutely loving it but I do stuff that requires me to keep a constant connection to various servers and when I close the lid while I'm on battery the laptop goes into sleep mode. I downloaded a script or something called NoSleep and it doesn't appear to work. Is there a setting that I'm missing? Closing the lid without the thing turning off works fine while I'm plugged in, I would just prefer to do it on battery too.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm a brand new Macbook AIr user, never owned anything Apple before in my life. I'm absolutely loving it but I do stuff that requires me to keep a constant connection to various servers and when I close the lid while I'm on battery the laptop goes into sleep mode. I downloaded a script or something called NoSleep and it doesn't appear to work. Is there a setting that I'm missing? Closing the lid without the thing turning off works fine while I'm plugged in, I would just prefer to do it on battery too.

Look up software called caffeine on macupdate.com

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

That works! Thanks!

Raavn
Jan 30, 2014

"Insert random smartass quote here."

benisntfunny posted:

Look up software called caffeine on macupdate.com

Been looking for something like this for a long time. Many thanks!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Is there a way I can make the play button on the keyboard open Spotify instead of iTunes?

EDIT: Also, is there a way to open multiple instances of an app?

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 7, 2014

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

FordPRefectLL posted:

EDIT: Also, is there a way to open multiple instances of an app?

One way that might work: in /Applications, right click the app you want to run multiple times, then click "Show package contents." Once inside, navigate to the MacOS folder, there should be a Unix executable file in there that you can launch as many times as you'd like

idk if this is a safe thing to do or not, maybe there'd be issues when accessing shared data? I only tried this with photoshop. Also just curious, what do you need this for?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
anyone know what might be making this sound on my Mid 2012 MBP running 10.9.2

https://soundcloud.com/shuffleiaj/oddsound
it's less tinny sounding IRL and I've noticed no pattern for it going off , no error dialogs either

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 7, 2014

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
You can block those clipboard hijacking scripts with something like AdBlock, just add a rule for the domain of the service or the file name of the script which does it.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
My having purchased an iPhone 5S has coincided with Messenger on my macbook not accepting conversations that my phone is processing without issue. Can I not be signed into messenger on everything now? Or is there some little piece of information i'm just passing over. I'm also seeing "offline" status when i'm obviously online.. meh,

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You likely haven't tied your phone number to your Apple ID yet. Do that on your iPhone by going to Settings app > Messages. Then double check the settings on Messages.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
For some reason I can't add the iCloud email to my phone's list. Maybe that's what the problem is?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This question is a little but out there, but does anyone know if it's possible to have Mac OS X's syslogd forward to a remote server over TCP?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Misogynist posted:

This question is a little but out there, but does anyone know if it's possible to have Mac OS X's syslogd forward to a remote server over TCP?

If you google 'syslogd mac remote' or 'syslogd mac forward' it seems there are such solutions out there but I've never done it myself

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I lost my bag with my mac on it. If someone finds it and formats it, does it lose the link to iCloud and "Find my device"?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gmq posted:

I lost my bag with my mac on it. If someone finds it and formats it, does it lose the link to iCloud and "Find my device"?

No, it acts kind of like a firmware password.

You can't locate it though unless they connect to the internet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it? I wasn't aware of anything like the Device Activation Lock existing on Macs. If it does then that's great.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Caged posted:

Does it? I wasn't aware of anything like the Device Activation Lock existing on Macs. If it does then that's great.

Find My iPhone from Apple's iCloud.com will activate something like a firmware password that requires a 4 digit PIN to get past but that requires the device to check in.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Having an irritating problem with my Late 2013 Retina MBP.

When the screen switches off due to inactivity, half the time the wifi connection is lost. It says its connected, pages attempt to load but I have to turn wifi off and on again before it works properly. No other computer or phone on the wifi network has this problem.

I have tried:
  • Resetting the router and computer etc
  • Deleted all saved networks in Network Preferences, all their passwords in Keychain and repaired permissions
  • Set service order to put Wifi top of the list.
  • Latest version of everything

There are no other issues with the wifi - connection is full speed and completely stable otherwise. Here's the console log from the last time it lost its connection after waking: http://pastebin.com/megGxXaP

Any ideas appreciated, It's becoming really tiresome turning wifi on and off ten times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Horace posted:

Having an irritating problem with my Late 2013 Retina MBP.

When the screen switches off due to inactivity, half the time the wifi connection is lost. It says its connected, pages attempt to load but I have to turn wifi off and on again before it works properly. No other computer or phone on the wifi network has this problem.

I have tried:
  • Resetting the router and computer etc
  • Deleted all saved networks in Network Preferences, all their passwords in Keychain and repaired permissions
  • Set service order to put Wifi top of the list.
  • Latest version of everything

There are no other issues with the wifi - connection is full speed and completely stable otherwise. Here's the console log from the last time it lost its connection after waking: http://pastebin.com/megGxXaP

Any ideas appreciated, It's becoming really tiresome turning wifi on and off ten times a day.

Delete the networking plist and reboot?