Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I just got this because it's on sale. Never played it and have very little idea of what I'm getting into.

That said, if I pick one of those cat people is everyone going to assume I am a furry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Manifest posted:

I just got this because it's on sale. Never played it and have very little idea of what I'm getting into.

That said, if I pick one of those cat people is everyone going to assume I am a furry

this is a furry only game please see yourself out

also no (maybe a little)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Manifest posted:

You're good as long as you don't roll Asura. Charr have horrible armour clipping issues, make jumping puzzles way harder than they have to be, and have both males and females voiced by Steve Blum. Check out the guilds in the OP and start having some fun!!

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

:stonk:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're good as long as you don't roll Asura. Charr have horrible armour clipping issues, make jumping puzzles way harder than they have to be, and have both males and females voiced by Steve Blum. Check out the guilds in the OP and start having some fun!!

Steve Blum eh?

GUESS I'M ROLLING SOMETHING ELSE

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Manifest posted:

As far as furry video game races go, Charr are probably the least reprehensible. Goon Squad is heavily pro-catmen and ratmen.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Vargs posted:

As far as furry video game races go, Charr are probably the least reprehensible. Goon Squad is heavily pro-catmen and ratmen.

Arus I think you should break off this relationship with bird. I don't want to endure more furries in SFD.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Steve Blum only voices a single charr.

It's really easy to roll a test character to see if you like their animations, voice acting, and armor options. If you get them past the tutorial zone you can access the wardrobe (containing previews of all equipment) and the Heart of the Mists (a PvP lobby where almost all a character's abilities are unlocked). Some can't stand the clipping issues that charr sometimes encounter, but others can't stand the battle bikinis human/norn/sylvari women tend to get jammed into. Some dislike the bouncy way asura animate, but others find human animations dull in comparison. Your mileage may vary, and only you can decide what you like best.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 9, 2014

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I started up a Ranger last night. I had an experience scroll to bump up to 20 and a birthday booster to speed things up a bit, but with the traits pushed so far back, I've got a lot of levels to burn through. That's not always very easy when I play in smaller chunks (an hour here, an hour there). There's a lot of talk about maximum gold per hour, but what's the best experience per hour grind, especially early on when you have no traits? I have a bit of disposable income so I can Chef myself a few levels, but I don't have enough to max anything else. The early champ trains felt like they weren't any faster than just running around getting exploring experience and doing hearts and events, and the latter was much more fun anyway. But is there anything I can do to maximize my experience gain? Do XP boosts stack, i.e. the birthday booster and the individual XP boosts? And do I get any more experience in zones that are a little higher level than I am? I definitely noticed that things are a bit easier in PvE post-patch, so I am pretty safe being a few levels under (as long as I'm not so far that every hit glances), but if it's not improving my experience gain then it's not worth it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

BombermanX posted:

Arus I think you should break off this relationship with bird. I don't want to endure more furries in SFD.

To say that Bird is a furry would be to imply that Bird is a human who wishes she was an animal or something like that. This is incorrect. Bird is, infact, a bird.
:colbert:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sprite141 posted:

To say that Bird is a furry would be to imply that Bird is a human who wishes she was an animal or something like that. This is incorrect. Bird is, infact, a bird.
:colbert:

One might say that I am literally a bird.

He was calling Arus out as furry feathery. :ssh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am a man of many things :allears:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Manifest posted:

If you're that insecure about it, I don't think it really matters what other people assume.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

OzFactor posted:

I started up a Ranger last night. I had an experience scroll to bump up to 20 and a birthday booster to speed things up a bit, but with the traits pushed so far back, I've got a lot of levels to burn through. That's not always very easy when I play in smaller chunks (an hour here, an hour there). There's a lot of talk about maximum gold per hour, but what's the best experience per hour grind, especially early on when you have no traits? I have a bit of disposable income so I can Chef myself a few levels, but I don't have enough to max anything else. The early champ trains felt like they weren't any faster than just running around getting exploring experience and doing hearts and events, and the latter was much more fun anyway. But is there anything I can do to maximize my experience gain? Do XP boosts stack, i.e. the birthday booster and the individual XP boosts? And do I get any more experience in zones that are a little higher level than I am? I definitely noticed that things are a bit easier in PvE post-patch, so I am pretty safe being a few levels under (as long as I'm not so far that every hit glances), but if it's not improving my experience gain then it's not worth it.

The main answer to this questions is always "play the game" as it shits out experience for just about everything.

Order of experience I believe goes:
Story>Events>Hearts>Anything else.

You can run trains for experience if you want though, Edge of the Mists always has experience/karma trains running around capturing stuff. Queensdale train for lower levels but if you don't have an SSD you can kiss the PvE trains goodbye as there are a ton of people doing this on the megaservers that you often miss champions. Also you will want to kill yourself.

Spvp can give level up tomes as well if you need a break, I have about 10 of them in my bank just waiting for a character to hit 70 and I don't even pvp more than a couple matches a week.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:siren: HELLO GOON SQUAD APPLICANTS!!! :siren:

It's SPAMBOT SEASON once again in the tangled forests of our off-site, and I'm deleting about 400 threads about alopecia and baldness cures a day. I try not to delete any goon authentication threads but as you can imagine my eyes glaze over pretty quickly!

If you've posted an invitation thread and you see that it has been deleted, please check your Guild tab in-game (default G) and see if you have an invite waiting. You probably do! The game hardly notifies you at all when you receive a guild invitation.

If your auth thread has been moved or deleted and you do not have an invitation in your guild tab, please message me (Goshawk) or any other online officer and post a new thread at gw2goons.org.

Thank you!!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/12501056-dnt-guardian-build-5914

Update on builds for guardians. Decent guardians that is.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am a man of many things :allears:
Weight, primarily.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

J3ng4 posted:

Spvp can give level up tomes as well if you need a break, I have about 10 of them in my bank just waiting for a character to hit 70 and I don't even pvp more than a couple matches a week.

Are these random drops from rank chests or from a specific reward track? I've played about 10 or so matches since the patch across different characters but haven't seen a single one (a few skill point scrolls though). I think I've been on the Kryta region track.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I've been away for about a month when my computer decided to die so I missed the new trait stuff when it dropped. Are there any must have new ones or are they underwhelming? I like the look of parasitic contagion but can't tell if it is actually useful.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

OzFactor posted:

Are these random drops from rank chests or from a specific reward track? I've played about 10 or so matches since the patch across different characters but haven't seen a single one (a few skill point scrolls though). I think I've been on the Kryta region track.

It might just be dungeon tracks. I've been doing those and have enough for three brand new 80s. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

J3ng4 posted:

Order of experience I believe goes:
Story>Events>Hearts>Anything else.

I'm not sure where it lies in that continuum, but WvW can rain down an insane amount of XP for leveling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As a general rule, do everything while levelling. Crafting, WvW, dungeons, hearts, etc. If you do just one thing, it'll be boring and you'll run out or feel behind. If you do everything, you'll literally be swimming in XP and be 80 in no time.

For PvE specifically, for new players, consider dynamic events the main content. Hearts are like mini rep grinds and should be done only when there isn't an event nearby. Events are great and can chain into others based on success or failure, across an entire zone. Megaservers mean they actually get done now too!

I'm stoked to see new people into the game, remember to join a goon guild!

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Some stuff from the chinese pre sale. http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/251onl/some_data_and_statistics_around_gw2_china_and_its/

quote:

230,000 PCU (peak concurrent users) at May 1st
over 200 M Yuan license costs for KongZhong
600,000 sales at the time the article was written
65 M Yuan through pre-sales
30% of the players buy the title system. This means 4,5 M Yuan
1 M players predicted for release
ROI in the first year of GW2 China
88 and 198 Yuan editions were sold in similar quantities

They had the headstart before the open beta and it launches in June.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Oh drat, DnT. Str8 pr0strats up in this b.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Manifest posted:

The cat people were designed to ignore everything furries like. Knock yourself out

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

OzFactor posted:

Every time you rank up and the 3rd reward of each reward tier will give you a level tome.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I KNOW ANET READS THIS THREAD

:siren: I'm requesting a new mini called Mini Poutine, which is just a small paper burger tray of poutine that follows you around. I'm willing to pay lots of :10bux: for this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Something horrible is happening in the Rata Sum jail.

Triethyl
Dec 31, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah sounds right

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Meanwhile, in Vigil Keep:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I knew dentists weren't to be trusted. :(

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

The Skeep posted:

Meanwhile, in Vigil Keep:

It wasn't meant to be. Arus is ours!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BombermanX posted:

It wasn't meant to be. Arus is ours!

Never, the bird is mine. What happens in Rata Sum jail stays in Asura jail. Only Lonk will know.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Never, the bird is mine. What happens in Rata Sum jail stays in Asura jail. Only Lonk will know.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Never, the bird is mine.

The bird is mine!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm happy that Evon supports Raptor/Norn unions. I bet that fraud Kiel still worships the Six. :reject:

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

Hhaahah that face.

Last night was something special. I can only imagine what the role players were thinking when the jail cell caught fire and we all started screaming for help.

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 10, 2014

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I was down there earlier last night scoping out the roleplayers. Sadly, Ventus Keyblade and William Centaurus weren't as entertaining as their tragic names suggested.

LITERALLY A BEAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

BombermanX posted:

Hhaahah that face.

Last night was something special. I can only imagine what the role players were thinking when the jail cell caught fire and we all started screaming for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

• Locked thread