Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Kakaricho posted:

Seems to be pretty much exactly that. When they introduced the machine in episode 177 they did point out the games, controller and zapper were the same as the NES, not the Famicom, but didn't explain why. Maybe to speed up production and make them more interchangeable?

The systems not really interchangeable for a few reasons. The FamicomBox will not run mmc3 games which would be Super Mario USA/2 and Super Mario 3 to name 2. The lockout system for the FamicomBox is different than the normal lockout system for the NES. Finally the game cart has to have data for this system's lockout method, so cutting the pins outright to make them match won't work.

If anything I think they wanted to make a super hard system to crack. Back then can you really think of the idea of ordering an USA game and delivering it to Japan? I was born around the time of Dos and Wolf3d.EXE was a thing but I don't recall when online ordering start. This was back around the late 1980 and early 1990 too. So overall I think Nintendo just went "Lock down everything".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Sandata posted:

The systems not really interchangeable for a few reasons. The FamicomBox will not run mmc3 games which would be Super Mario USA/2 and Super Mario 3 to name 2. The lockout system for the FamicomBox is different than the normal lockout system for the NES. Finally the game cart has to have data for this system's lockout method, so cutting the pins outright to make them match won't work.

If anything I think they wanted to make a super hard system to crack. Back then can you really think of the idea of ordering an USA game and delivering it to Japan? I was born around the time of Dos and Wolf3d.EXE was a thing but I don't recall when online ordering start. This was back around the late 1980 and early 1990 too. So overall I think Nintendo just went "Lock down everything".

Well, it was just a bit of un-thoughtout speculation on my behalf. Seems odd Nintendo would use NES controllers and cartridges in a Japan-exclusive machine in the late 80s though.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Kakaricho posted:

Well, it was just a bit of un-thoughtout speculation on my behalf. Seems odd Nintendo would use NES controllers and cartridges in a Japan-exclusive machine in the late 80s though.

Nintendo has always though of keeping un-offical games away from their systems. So in short, using the USA games technology back in the 80's in Japan would seriously be the best method. There could be an other reason behind it but it's the best I can think of.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sandata posted:

Nintendo has always though of keeping un-offical games away from their systems. So in short, using the USA games technology back in the 80's in Japan would seriously be the best method. There could be an other reason behind it but it's the best I can think of.

My guess is that they did that to keep the systems from appearing on the second hand market. Basically, nothing about the system is usable for a home Famicom user, and there's not much point to owning one, aside from the collectible aspect. And then you can also control the game market, since now hotels have to get their games from Nintendo, so I can't just take some Famicom game my kid has beaten and put it in there. So if I wanted a different game, I would have to take whatever Nintendo is offering.

The controllers I don't know, but I'm guessing Nintendo just had surplus lying around, and it's an easy way to brand them.

Sandata posted:

Back then, the internet didn't really exist, at least, not like it does today. I doubt your average hotel owner would have had any kind of internet access, and even if they did, they wouldn't have a way to order games from the internet. You could probably have a few importers and the like, but that would have probably been the best bet.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 10, 2014

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Obeast posted:

IMO, beautiful is an understatement. I'm actually shocked that it's looking this good right now since it sounds like a handful of people are working on it, and I love that they're reusing the RGC1 English fonts or a very similar font to keep it consistent. :)

It's looking pretty good, yeah, but I kinda miss the fake DQ font for the RPG from the first game, I guess the current one might allow for slightly more text per box. It's kind of a shame that there's not real way to know what young Arino's saying though especially since the second game has a good deal more game-specific quotes, but any subtitles are probably a bit too hard to implement, especially since they'd probably have to code them from scratch seeing that the game doesn't have any already existing mechanics for stuff like that outside of maybe using his speech bubble for that purpose.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man I wish this was ready in a week. I'm flying from Germany to Chicago on Sunday the 18th and it's gonna be a long, boring 11 hour flight (counting layovers and crap) and this would be soooo the perfect thing to make the flight breeze by.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I can't wait to play an English translated version of RGC2. I played the hell out of my import copy. I even made an FAQ for Wizman and the Daily Challenges on GameFaqs.com . For someone who can't read Japanese, I still really enjoyed the game. Gaudia Quest Saga is fine for non Japanese speakers to play, but the Detective adventure game sucks for the non Japanese. Thankfully, there is a guide on GameFaqs. Too bad I don't have the 3rd game to compare it to.

I'm not very good with roms and emulators. Could I use the translation patch on my import copy so I could play with my save intact? If no, how would I play on my 2DS system?

For those who have played the 2nd DS game, what are your favorite games?

I really enjoy Wizman the most. When you first play it, it seems to be an average PacMan clone. When you beat the game the 1st time, it doesn't seem to have much depth and doesn't feel that replayable. When you play the game more, you learn more of the games mechanics of getting the chests and the magical rods in order to get a higher ranking. Wizman has a lot of depth to its gameplay.

GunDuel is my other favorite game. The gun combos make this game so fun. This game has so much replay value to me. They really made a better shooter compared to the 2 from the first game.

Is the bonus DVD getting a sub? I would love to see Arino challenging the 2nd DS game.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Has MMX part 2 been uploaded anywhere (torrent or streaming are both okay) yet? I assume someone somewhere has it up.

joek0 posted:

I'm not very good with roms and emulators. Could I use the translation patch on my import copy so I could play with my save intact? If no, how would I play on my 2DS system?
Unless you can find a way to re-flash the cart with a patched version of the ROM, you're out of luck.

IIRC, there are a few ways to transfer your save over wifi if you have a program on a flash cart. So, assuming you have or will get a flash cart, you could just transfer the save from your RGC2 cart to your computer, toss that along with the translated ROM onto the flash cart, and you should be okay assuming the patch and original save work well together (which I assume it should since all that's changed is the text and some graphics).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Obeast posted:

Has MMX part 2 been uploaded anywhere (torrent or streaming are both okay) yet? I assume someone somewhere has it up.

A torrent is available.
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552218

In case people have not noticed, GCCX videos are being removed from Dailymotion as well.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 11, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Thanks and sorry for asking if it was already posted (I've been eyeing the thread quite a bit and haven't seen it)! This must be a super super high quality video due to the file size, but I'll take it and probably watch it tomorrow night since I don't think I'll be awake (or sober) enough to want to watch it right when it finishes. :)

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

joek0 posted:

For those who have played the 2nd DS game, what are your favorite games?

Other than GunDuel which I really like other than the fact that it's way too hard to get the combination powerup on the last 2 levels, I also like Mutekiken Kungfu/Super Kung Fu Fighting (it's likely they're gonna call it that cause the first game had it in one of the top seller charts in the magazine under that name) since it's essentially Karateka but a whole lot faster and more fun. I also think the RPG sequel might be decently fun when I can understand the drat thing, seeing as they made the Guadias a whole lot more complex.

quote:

Like stated earlier, that's probably not gonna happen, the only way you're gonna play the translation on a DS is via a flashcart or use an emulator instead, meaning you're probably going to have to start over from scratch. Which is probably the preferable option, seeing that just continuing from your completed save will have you miss out on most of the dialogue and events, I'm sorta curious myself if they have some kind of silly explanation for the fact that you're supposed to be with the same kid as in the first game but he has an entire new set of games.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Obeast posted:

Thanks and sorry for asking if it was already posted (I've been eyeing the thread quite a bit and haven't seen it)! This must be a super super high quality video due to the file size, but I'll take it and probably watch it tomorrow night since I don't think I'll be awake (or sober) enough to want to watch it right when it finishes. :)

It's a .ts file, or a transport stream. They play fine, they're just huge.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

joek0 posted:

I can't wait to play an English translated version of RGC2. I played the hell out of my import copy. I even made an FAQ for Wizman and the Daily Challenges on GameFaqs.com

And I remember reading them and puzzling out the game with the aid of the forums. It's a small world, man. I'm excited to do it again though but this time in a language I can actually understand.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

joek0 posted:

I can't wait to play an English translated version of RGC2. I played the hell out of my import copy. I even made an FAQ for Wizman and the Daily Challenges on GameFaqs.com . For someone who can't read Japanese, I still really enjoyed the game. Gaudia Quest Saga is fine for non Japanese speakers to play, but the Detective adventure game sucks for the non Japanese. Thankfully, there is a guide on GameFaqs. Too bad I don't have the 3rd game to compare it to.

You would need a flash cart like the Supercard DS Two which works on 3DS/2DS. Along with that you will need to use something to dump the save from your cart which can only be done on the older DS "phat" or lite or with the Action Replay cart. Once you dump the save you can then use it on the translated rom from a flash cart to play.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's pretty great. I managed to stumble through it without knowing any Japanese, but it will be nice to replay it and actually understand what's going on. I had to skip the adventure game and the RPG so I'm looking forward to those ones the most.
Same here, at least I beat all of the challenges. I tried to be Guadia Quest Saga, probably got about 3/4 in but it got to be too difficult since I couldn't figure out how to skillfully use the Guadias. I am very excited to replay it in English.

Kakaricho posted:

Seems to be pretty much exactly that. When they introduced the machine in episode 177 they did point out the games, controller and zapper were the same as the NES, not the Famicom, but didn't explain why. Maybe to speed up production and make them more interchangeable?
Sometime's the lack of a good explanation is what bugs me about GCCX. They have a lot of chances to give a proper explanation on history, and other things about the systems/games they are showcasing, but usually just give a quick line or two about it.

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 12, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The next challenge is against a Famicom murder-mystery adventure game called "殺意の階層 ソフトハウス連続殺人事件" or "Layers of Intent to Kill: Serial Murderer Incident at a Software Company". It was made by HAL Laboratory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4KuHc5mU0

(Better translation of the title pending me waking up a bit more.)

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 15, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nested Murder Statements: Doloop While Murder

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
20 GOTO DEAD

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

The next challenge is against a Famicom murder-mystery adventure game called "殺意の階層 ソフトハウス連続殺人事件" or "Layers of Intent to Kill: Serial Murderer Incident at a Software Company". It was made by HAL Laboratory.

Calling it now: Iwata is the killer.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Random Stranger posted:

Calling it now: Iwata is the killer.

In a twist of fate, it was Iwata who called for the murder of Gunpei Yokoi as revenge for leaving Nintendo.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Sounds pretty good to me.

Has Google Translate been getting little sleep lately too?

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

Has Google Translate been getting little sleep lately too?

Did it ever get enough sleep to begin with? I've always thought of it as an insomniac, myself.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
At the drive-in, about to watch Godzilla, wearing my zari-gani Wondershot shirt! :woop:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Light Gun Man posted:

At the drive-in, about to watch Godzilla, wearing my zari-gani Wondershot shirt! :woop:

Oh hey. I'm doing all of that except the shirt part tonight. Yay for drive-ins!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What's it like living in 1955?

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Gutcruncher posted:

Fine and dandy, now that we have the polio vaccine!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Well, it was okay until I realized my mom (in her teenage years) had a thing for me while thinking my name was Calvin Klein. :v:

Actually, in all honesty, I went to a drive-in theather once and it was actually pretty fun. I went with my oldest brother, his wife, and step-son to see the last Fast & the Furious movie and we pretty much spent half the time making fun of Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez's accents, which you couldn't do in a regular theather unless you either went to a showing where nobody else was there and/or wanted to get kicked out for being disruptive. It was a good time. :)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

It was pretty good. Godzilla doesn't look enough like an angry cat in the new one for my fanboy tastes but enjoyable enough. Shirt is comfortable. Pork tenderloin sandwiches continue to rule.

Speaking of living in the past, check out their website, holy poo poo http://www.highway18.com/

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Godzilla doesn't look enough like an angry cat in the new one for my fanboy tastes but enjoyable enough.

How many speaking lines does his son have?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

How many speaking lines does his son have?

Not a Minya or a Jr. To be found. Unless you mean the humans, but who pays attention to those?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Looks like everything major in GCCX2 is done except for the Magazine covers. Now is the fine-tuning!

I can't loving wait for this. I've been playing the first one again. I... I don't know when was the last time I've looking forward so much to a game?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Gutcruncher posted:

I'm generally satisfied with it, truth be told. But in all seriousness, drive-ins own pretty hard.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Do we know if MMX is the next episode released? I'm shaking with anticipation for it.

Also man, never did I think that the second game would actually finally be patched. I had given up on it as it seemed like it was in a hiatus, but it's great to see that it's actually almost complete.

Now to find my old phat DS...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Kirbychwan posted:

Also man, never did I think that the second game would actually finally be patched. I had given up on it as it seemed like it was in a hiatus, but it's great to see that it's actually almost complete.

It did go on hiatus because the programmer was too busy with other things, and all the people involved lost touch with each other. When the guy who ran the website (who had multiple update-less periods making the project look dead) managed to contact everyone again, all but two of the translators dropped out. Then it looked dead again and the guy who started the current GBATemp thread failed to make contact and started from scratch until he was contacted several months later. I wonder if this sort of thing happens often with translations.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 20, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Translations are clusterfucks on a huge level, especially for more modern games. It takes a lot of fan dedication to translate a game and for every one that gets finished there are a billion that don't or end up in half-complete limbo because something goes wrong. A recent Super Robot Wars translation resorted to crowdsourcing translation editing and I think even that fizzled out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Translations are clusterfucks on a huge level, especially for more modern games. It takes a lot of fan dedication to translate a game and for every one that gets finished there are a billion that don't or end up in half-complete limbo because something goes wrong. A recent Super Robot Wars translation resorted to crowdsourcing translation editing and I think even that fizzled out.
Even official translations can be trouble - the first Game Center CX game was never programmed with the English language in mind, so XSeed had to deal with very strict character limits that were largely undocumented, resulting in lots of "insert text, oops it broke everything, rewrite it to be shorter, insert text..."-style trial and error.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

"Arino, we'd like you to..."
"No!"
"We've prepared..."
"N.O.!"
The protagonist's clothes, so..."
"I said NO!"

And he wears them...

"In the next episode, a hero appears..?"

Thought/speculation?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The only orange vest I could think of is Back to the Future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks like Terry Bogard. I really enjoyed the fighting game episodes, too.