Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

This just came in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
YAY you're going to Hawaii!!

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

Man, others might have a varying opinion, but I seriously do not stand for this poo poo. I'll take criticism and I will improve, but I will NOT be scapegoated or be on the opposite side of the table for an unfounded bitch-fest like this.

You have no evidence? No citations? Then we're done here, come back when you have something.
You cut me off on another sentence and I am walking out of this room, we can try again when you're civil.

I don't care if it's the CEO on the other side of the table. I am a professional and will be treated with at least a baseline of respect or we're not going to talk.

Dick Trauma -- what's AA posted is critical reading. From your account of things, the CEO email could be a blessing in disguise.

I am not a lawyer -- having said that, if you're over 40, you're a protected class of employee. Find an plaintiff employment attorney in your area and have a conversation with them -- the consult is usually free.

I have seen people in your circumstances go from a two-week check and a boot out the door to a 12 month severance package (including COBRA) with training.

Again, while I am not a lawyer. I strongly recommend you talk to one and get a clear picture on your options and what you want your exit to look like. PM sent.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 9, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Manslaughter posted:

This just came in!

Most of the support e-mails I get are just "Help" in the subject line with nothing further. I generally ignored them.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

A c E posted:

Most of the support e-mails I get are just "Help" in the subject line with nothing further. I generally ignored them.

Any emails I get with simply "Help", I just respond with "Resolution".

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Our new CIO has been making some big changes for the better. On the chopping block today: the help desk hold limit. Under the previous CIO, people had complained about long wait times when calling the help desk and to address this, a six-minute hold time limit was established. After 6 minutes on hold, your call was automatically disconnected to prevent you from waiting any longer.

The new system will prompt you every few minutes to ask if you would like to leave a message or continue to hold.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

Our new CIO has been making some big changes for the better. On the chopping block today: the help desk hold limit. Under the previous CIO, people had complained about long wait times when calling the help desk and to address this, a six-minute hold time limit was established. After 6 minutes on hold, your call was automatically disconnected to prevent you from waiting any longer.

The new system will prompt you every few minutes to ask if you would like to leave a message or continue to hold.
You guys should implement that "call you back" system that is pretty convenient. I think Time Warner uses it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

You guys should implement that "call you back" system that is pretty convenient. I think Time Warner uses it.

Virtual Hold. Ug. It is a special application that interfaces with your PBX via whatever CTI interface you have. When it works, it works, when it doesn't, good luck. It also requires some infrastructure that you may not have, depending on the size of your company.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Uh oh. We're supporting a client that sounds exactly like this...

What are your rates?
Unfortunately I'm more than busy nowadays, but there are a few things you can do to to alleviate the problem.

Using AD security groups instead of Sharepoint groups deals with 64kB ACL size limit issue. Sharepoint groups are essentially a shorthand for assigning every single user in them the same rights, so if you have thousands of users in Sharepoint groups, you can hit that 64kB size limite easily. But AD security groups have their own SID, so the ACLs stay short. And unlike Sharepoint groups, AD groups can be nested, so you can keep the number of groups down as well.

The second issue is related to how Sharepoint organizes content. It's tempting to create just one site collection and then create subsites under it. You get to keep the same navigation, the same metadata (site columns, content types etc). Also, you can inherit rights and other settings from a parent site. But while Sharepoint can use multiple content databases and even multiple database servers, it can only split content into them on the site collection level.

So you should split data into multiple site collections. Site collections can be moved from one content database to another without end-users noticing anything, so you're free to reorganize things as the amount of data grows. Automated quotas also work on the site collection level, so you won't be surprised by someone uploading a lot of junk.

You'll have to assign rights for each site collection without inheritance, but if you're using AD groups you can still manage the contents of those groups centrally. And with the managed metadata service's content hub, you can define site columns and content types centrally and propagate them into other site collections. And with search, you can retrieve data for content rollups and other listings from across site collection boundaries. Managing settings and other customizations can still be painful, but that's where solution packages, apps and PowerShell come in.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Listen you burger flipping gently caress-stick, you asked ME to help YOU so STOP LOGGING ME OUT OF MY RDP SESSION YOU TURDCUNT.

EDIT: Also today:

:downs: Somethings wrong with my Word and Excel.

:shobon: What?

:downs: I don't know. How long will it take you to fix it? I'm due in court.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2014

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Billy the Mountain posted:

EDIT: Also today:

:downs: Somethings wrong with my Word and Excel.

:shobon: What?

:downs: I don't know. How long will it take you to fix it? I'm due in court.

My usual approach there is to ask "What's it doing - or not doing?"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

My usual approach there is to ask "What's it doing - or not doing?"

That's when they answer with: Not Working.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

m.hache posted:

That's when they answer with: Not Working.

Or you get what I got; I don't know whats wrong with it just fix it before I get back *click*

Oh, what a shame, unable to recreate issue. Ticket closed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Virtual Hold. Ug. It is a special application that interfaces with your PBX via whatever CTI interface you have. When it works, it works, when it doesn't, good luck. It also requires some infrastructure that you may not have, depending on the size of your company.
To give you an idea of where we are technology-wise, we can't go to VOIP because the Telecom department wants us renting analog phones from them (we were blocked from buying our own by the provost's office.) For another measure of it, a year after asking all schools and departments to get on board with consolidating the university into one Active Directory, the official count of how many ADs and Domain Controllers is still a number plus/minus 10.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress

After a knock down, drag out :sotw: fight between my boss and I, where I insisted the Edge services were working OK and he begrudgingly started calling Polycom for a possible refund...

... it was the Edge. There were no static routes for our VoIP VLANs on the Edge LAN interface. Wasted a Software Assurance ticket with MSFT to tell me that.

loving hate humble pie. I like the peg that I'm on. gently caress getting taken down a few.

Well, I'm glad it got fixed in the end at least. :shobon:

Out of interest, what made you put VoIP on its own VLAN? One of the things our networking guy liked most about going for Lync with the better Polycom handsets was the fact we didn't need QoS any more with RTAudio, so the phones don't need to be on a separate VLAN. There's one site with a 1Mbps connection but calls on that site are rate limited with CAC to 128kbps total and that's all we've needed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday was a big conference call and the CEO and my old boss were anxious about the phones. I put a backup plan in place to ease their concern but everything went fine. Afterward I noticed someone from my last job was in the conference room and it turns out we've created a position he might be a good fit for. When the interview was over my three bosses one after the other came to consult with me about this person since I used to work with him.

It was strange because for a little while it was the way things should be. We discussed the subject like peers, they seemed to genuinely want my feedback and they didn't say anything stupid. It proved to me that there's no excuse for their nonsense, and they've had it in them all along to treat me properly. They just generally don't want to.

Today my old boss came by to congratulate me on how well things went yesterday and he said he's looking forward to the upgrade project completing next week and for me to keep up the good work.

I don't think these people occupy the same reality as me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A ticket came in to reset a users password for our parts database. I shouldn't have this ticket since i don't have access to do anything about it so I ask my boss what queue to move it to. He replies simply "business owner I think" and goes offline.

Thanks buddy.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 9, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Yesterday was a big conference call and the CEO and my old boss were anxious about the phones. I put a backup plan in place to ease their concern but everything went fine. Afterward I noticed someone from my last job was in the conference room and it turns out we've created a position he might be a good fit for. When the interview was over my three bosses one after the other came to consult with me about this person since I used to work with him.

It was strange because for a little while it was the way things should be. We discussed the subject like peers, they seemed to genuinely want my feedback and they didn't say anything stupid. It proved to me that there's no excuse for their nonsense, and they've had it in them all along to treat me properly. They just generally don't want to.

Today my old boss came by to congratulate me on how well things went yesterday and he said he's looking forward to the upgrade project completing next week and for me to keep up the good work.

Are your bosses teenage girls? They act like teenage girls.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Scikar posted:

Out of interest, what made you put VoIP on its own VLAN? One of the things our networking guy liked most about going for Lync with the better Polycom handsets was the fact we didn't need QoS any more with RTAudio, so the phones don't need to be on a separate VLAN. There's one site with a 1Mbps connection but calls on that site are rate limited with CAC to 128kbps total and that's all we've needed.

I would imagine that just for ease of administration, VLANing phones is still a good idea regardless of the technical need.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Scikar posted:

It's one part prior configuration by AT&T (using Avaya IP Office), one part CoS convenience. The guys here have an old-school mentality where VoIP and Data were always separate to prevent "cross-chatter". Considering "REBUILD EVERYTHING" wasn't really in the scope, I just kept going with that.

It also made it easier when I told AT&T "just put these subnets on highest priority". The branch locations are all on single T1s, so a butterfly landing on a nearby telephone pole would cause call distortion otherwise. CAC wasn't going to save us when a user sent a massive file copy over-the-wire.

To be fair, I've got these phones on the same VLAN now, but separate subnets on /24 (huge deployment help using the network pass-through on the phone), so they don't actually function as separate entities until they hit the MPLS network.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 9, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m.hache posted:

Are your bosses teenage girls? They act like teenage girls.

Maybe the MiB heard about the incident earlier and did a little field work.

Edit: Joking aside, they want to keep him complacent and productive while they find a replacement, and talk is cheap so they're giving him verbal praise. It's so goddamn obvious and transparent. My last boss was exactly like this, except it happened in the reverse order so I actually thought he WAS pleased. Until I asked for something, and then boy did I learn all about how bad of an employee I was.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2014

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Dick Trauma posted:

Wat? You should bill them for a therapist for this treatment

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

DT, I have a feeling that once the upgrade project is completed you will be asked to compile a list of things that you think need to be accomplished in the next year or so, plan out a budget and timeline, and then once finished they'll have your rear end thrown out in the street. I imagine that they're already interviewing your replacement at this point but the first couple candidates laughed in their faces when told the responsibilities and pay, so in an effort to keep you from jumping ship at a time that would be inopportune for them they're hoping they can confuse you long enough to finish up a few things and give them a few weeks breathing space.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know if they're smart enough to be more than just dumb people that get upset when the CEO yells and lash out. That said I'm still planning to get out of here as soon as possible because it's clear they don't value me at all and will threaten my employment whenever it suits them.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Where did you find the posting for your job? Has a posting for your replacement gone up?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
... today which reminded me of a ticket from last year that I can now talk about.

So I get a P1, personally submitted ticket - this is someone running into my cube and yelling - that "OUR EMAIL'S BEEN HACKED!" and dragging me to a conference room with Several Important People.

Me: "What's happened?"
:downs: "Our... email's been ... hacked!"
Me: "... yes, I got that. How do we know? Are we getting spam blacklisted? Are people calling reporting infected attachments?"
:downs: "We're getting emails we shouldn't be! Do we have to shut down the system?"

Long story short, they got ONE email, from a customer, ranting about bad service. They had it printed out.

To: bigwig@company.com via managers@company.com

Shaking finger pointed at "managers@company.com". "HOW DID THEY GET THAT ADDRESS?? It's NOWHERE on the website! They must have HACKED us!"

I asked to see the original mail. It was copied to service@, support@, help@, customerservice@, management@, etc. I pointed out that they obviously typed in a bunch of likely address, all's fine, we haven't been hacked, business as usual.

I go back to cube. A little while later, email pops upIt went something like this:

EMAIL SYSTEM HACKED posted:

Last night at approximately 10:30pm, our email system was intruded. Management emails were leaked. IT has no idea how it happened. We will be contracting security contractors to harden our system against future malicious hacking. Everyone must change ALL your passwords IMMEDIATELY.

My comment was: "Now I know what the underside of a bus looks like."

Two weeks later - okay, side story here. We had no designated start time, or at least that had ever been communicated to me. Most of the IT people filtered in between 8:30 and 9:15. - two weeks later I come in to see an HR drone and my boss in my cube. I get handed a printout of the last two weeks, with every time I clocked in after 9:00 highlighted, and told to clean out my desk and get out.

me: "Don't I get, like, two writeups first?"
HR looks at my boss.
Boss picks up a postit notepad and writes
"LATE ON xx/yy/zzzz" - shows it to me - "First warning." Sticks it to the paper.
me: "And hold on. (Jerry) is always here after me, so is (Tina)..."
He starts writing again. Same thing. "Second warning."

me: "I see what's going on here... gently caress you. You can't fire me, I quit."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Where did you find the posting for your job? Has a posting for your replacement gone up?

I haven't seen one. There's no way for me to be sure they aren't actively recruiting for my position so with the crap treatment I've received it's best to assume they are. They looked for six months before they hired me to be their first IT Manager but they're a lot bigger now. I don't think it will take them long.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

me: "Don't I get, like, two writeups first?"
HR looks at my boss.
Boss picks up a postit notepad and writes
"LATE ON xx/yy/zzzz" - shows it to me - "First warning." Sticks it to the paper.
me: "And hold on. (Jerry) is always here after me, so is (Tina)..."
He starts writing again. Same thing. "Second warning."

me: "I see what's going on here... gently caress you. You can't fire me, I quit."

If this is accurate, I hope you sued them for lots and lots of money.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Comradephate posted:

How do you prove it?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

How do you prove it?

In most (all?) states, companies are legally required to obey their employee handbook, if one exists. If the handbook says that you get two writeups for being tardy before being fired for it, they'll have to prove that. That's why companies normally have you sign a dated write-up: If they fire you and you dispute it, they can say "here's the scan of the write-up from 02/07/2014, and here's the scan of the write-up from 03/07/2014 after he showed no improvement. That's why we fired him in April."

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Comradephate posted:

In most (all?) states, companies are legally required to obey their employee handbook, if one exists. If the handbook says that you get two writeups for being tardy before being fired for it, they'll have to prove that. That's why companies normally have you sign a dated write-up: If they fire you and you dispute it, they can say "here's the scan of the write-up from 02/07/2014, and here's the scan of the write-up from 03/07/2014 after he showed no improvement. That's why we fired him in April."
This. Even in at-will states (AKA states with the shittiest of lovely poo poo worker protections) not following your own policies is grounds to get the gently caress sued out of you and lose handsomly. A company with 'we require 2 written disciplinary actions before terminating a worker' in the handbook that fired you and is unable to produce said countersigned write-ups would be in position for enough of a legal slam dunk that at the bare minimum their legal department would want to settle generously out of court before their collective corporate rear end in a top hat gets left in ruins by the settlement.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know if they're smart enough to be more than just dumb people that get upset when the CEO yells and lash out. That said I'm still planning to get out of here as soon as possible because it's clear they don't value me at all and will threaten my employment whenever it suits them.

My usual default is to bet on stupid, but yeah in this case you should assume maliciousness for the sake of your income, which you appear to be doing.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Comradephate posted:

For quitting? ;)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

So I assume you've got HTCPCPoIP for IPv6 fully implemented in your environment?

Someone called?

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Is it just me that hates the way IPv6 was implemented? I can't ever remember the drat addresses; numbers are easy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lareous posted:

Is it just me that hates the way IPv6 was implemented? I can't ever remember the drat addresses; numbers are easy.

It's acceptable to write them out as decimal if you really want to.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lareous posted:

It's kinda necessary since there's like 2128 addresses, compared to IPv4's 232.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

It'd be suuuper easy to argue that he was dismissed before quitting, or that he quit under duress.

lawyers exist to get around these kinds of things. :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
An alarm came in today for a client whose site internet was down. We set up all the servers to report to us within 15 minutes when a site goes offline due to an ISP or power outage, on-call person got the info and passed it to me. I call up the ISP, explain the situation, they run their tests and determine a modem on site needs to be rebooted. They made a few attempts to reach it remotely (to their credit, they're always really good about it) but couldn't reboot the modem remotely.

I suspended alarms on all servers, and proceeded to call the site - it's a construction business, so I wasn't sure if anyone would be there on the weekend. Main number to the operator goes to VM, direct lines to manager and CFO go to voicemail, so I leave messages on both. Called both of their cell phones and sent text messages, got no response. Couldn't email them because they've got an Exchange server on site, so that would be pointless with internet being down. Drove out to the site, nobody's there, doors are locked, I don't have a key and there's no security on site either to let me in. At this point, they're pretty much hosed, so I document it in my ticket, suspend alarms for 24 hours, and hope that maybe tomorrow someone will be there to do it. The primary engineer who typically works with them is out of town on vacation until Tuesday, so I'm acting as a secondary to him to work with them.

Boss called, I ran through everything, he was satisfied that we did everything we could to help. This particular client has been super needy, and has a tendency to complain about little things even if it's a simple fix or ends up resolved before their SLA is up. Boss and I are definitely not looking forward to the fallout, because we have no other protocol for after hours on site support, no keys to the buildings, no security codes or other contacts, so unless someone is there tomorrow they'll be down until Monday morning unless a miracle happens.

Frustrating and makes me wonder why some people have cell phones if they don't intend to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Voicemail has made us lazy as a species.

• Locked thread