Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wolrah posted:

I think this might be a Mazda thing. My '97 Probe (aka MX-6) was the same way, so many wires and vacuum lines that had to come off to get the drat thing out.

If it was the 2.0 it was literally the exact same engine as mine, so I'm not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cross post from the BMW thread: I think the reason behind the strange noises and lack of handbrake on my e46 has been found.

All the stuff on below the wheel brace fell out when I took the passenger side disk partially off, the piece above fell out the drivers side.

stump fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 11, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

That looks like one of the kinds of vehicles where the seats fold down to let long objects go through the trunk into the back seat area. Like, for instance, skis. With how everything is torn it makes me think the tire blew up in the trunk and the burst of air blew all the foam and upholstery off the seat frames in its haste to reach the open atmosphere.

The rest of the album makes it look like it's a third-row seat in a van or large crossover.

Fucknag posted:

If it was the 2.0 it was literally the exact same engine as mine, so I'm not surprised.

Nah, it was a GT with the 2.5 V6. Some of it was a bit goofy from the PO swapping the US-spec KLDE for a Japanese-spec KLZE, but the majority of the factory harness was intact and was most of the problem.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

SocketSeven posted:

Electrical switchgear is pretty :black101:

I have the video of this somewhere in my archives, and the sound it makes is glorious. I'll dig it up when I get home.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The sound plays in my head automatically when I watch that gif.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgNrj6oEdc

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Holy poo poo :catstare:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TrueChaos posted:

Holy poo poo :catstare:

That's a mechanical SUCCESS, though - The spark's suboptimal but not out of tolerance for the equipment. I used to love messing with high-voltage poo poo, but nowadays even being too close to the magnetic field might induce a current in my wiring and kill me.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I love the "woo!" from one of the closer dudes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
An air break switch like that one sounds like a shotgun if you're standing right underneath it when it pops open. You can feel it in your chest.

Substation safety training has terrified me of ground gradient too.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I've seen an electric arc steel mill operating from about 150' away, it sounds about the same. If you've never been that close to an immense amount of current it's a hell of a thing. You practically feel your skull buzzing at that frequency.

Of course the steel mill the sound was mixed with small explosions and quite the lightshow projected onto the roof.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Long haul power lines will buzz too, if you want the lite version of the experience.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enos Shenk posted:

I've seen an electric arc steel mill operating from about 150' away, it sounds about the same. If you've never been that close to an immense amount of current it's a hell of a thing. You practically feel your skull buzzing at that frequency.

Of course the steel mill the sound was mixed with small explosions and quite the lightshow projected onto the roof.

Like this one? (lightshow starts at 1:30 or so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8

The heavy cables you can see hanging from the left side of the screen toward the arc furnace are the 3 phase supply lines to it. It's running at 80 megawatts and 80kA, which implies an operating voltage of around a thousand volts. See how they sway and bounce? That's not because the machine is moving, it's from the intense magnetic fields produced by 80 loving thousand amps. Every time the arc flashes suddenly and the cable shakes it's because the current dropped abruptly and then came back when the arc hit a gap in the pile of scrapmetal inside the vat, and the magnetic field abruptly changes too. Which shakes the cable. You know, the 3-6 inch thick cable... yeah each of those (many, many) cables hanging from the wall to the arc furnace is several inches thick.

It's really something.

Those kinds of plants (as well as aluminum smelters and refiners) are typically located very nearby to their power generating stations because of the gigantic load they represent. They often have to call the power company up and time their smelting operations so that the power company can bring power output up at the same time, else it'll cause widespread brownouts or blackouts.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 12, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got to tour Cat's foundry* a while back and while it didn't have a furnace the size of the one in the video it was still pretty rad. Every number used to describe an arc furnace is just so loving huge and the very concept of melting large quantities of metal but just dumping electricity into it :iia:

*Engine blocks the size of a car fresh out of the mold are still pretty loving hot when you're 20+ feet away from them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

The rest of the album makes it look like it's a third-row seat in a van or large crossover.

It's a 5th gen Honda Odyssey. So yeah, minivan.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

Those kinds of plants (as well as aluminum smelters and refiners) are typically located very nearby to their power generating stations because of the gigantic load they represent. They often have to call the power company up and time their smelting operations so that the power company can bring power output up at the same time, else it'll cause widespread brownouts or blackouts.

I don't know about domestic plants (our domestic powergrid is pretty retarded) but Asian mills often have the power plants right on site, to cut line losses, and because the mills often predate the rest of the local power infrastructure. IIRC the Japanese used some of their mill power to supply the grid after the tsunami.

The Koreans and Japanese do a lot of much smarter things with their powergrids, but to some degree that's a luxury that was afforded by minimal to no legacy generation and transmission to support.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

kastein posted:

Like this one? (lightshow starts at 1:30 or so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8

The heavy cables you can see hanging from the left side of the screen toward the arc furnace are the 3 phase supply lines to it. It's running at 80 megawatts and 80kA, which implies an operating voltage of around a thousand volts. See how they sway and bounce? That's not because the machine is moving, it's from the intense magnetic fields produced by 80 loving thousand amps. Every time the arc flashes suddenly and the cable shakes it's because the current dropped abruptly and then came back when the arc hit a gap in the pile of scrapmetal inside the vat, and the magnetic field abruptly changes too. Which shakes the cable. You know, the 3-6 inch thick cable... yeah each of those (many, many) cables hanging from the wall to the arc furnace is several inches thick.

It's really something.

I really, really love this post. I work with diesel electric systems but the largest we get is maybe 10MW to a prime mover. That said, hearing the thing start up is something else. It's a big synchronous motor, and if you want to get an idea of what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyhQjJ5UgY
The very start, with the industrial humming and whining, is as close as anything I've heard to it. It sent chills down my spine the first time I heard it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/4444196536.html

I think this counts as a horrible mechanical failure. It's at least horrible.

quote:

I am selling my Ford Ranger, 4x4 Prerunner. I have well over 7K in upgrades alone. It has the Fiberwerx Raptor Conversion Fiberglass Body with Threat Motorsports +5 d35 front beams and radius arms with steel braided brake lines and raptor style front and rear lights. New black Bart rims, wheel bearings, front brakes, ball joints, rear tires, bully tailgate net, 4wd hubs and 2012 square style power mirrors. Has a pioneer deck with bluetooth handsfree phone. Bedliner just done, has a class 3 reciever if you tow. Custom painted "sunset inferno metallic" power seats, windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, cruise control, white face gauges. Runs good and looks amazing, you will get looks everywhere you go. It is a 1995 Ranger XLT with the 4.0 V6 Manual Trans.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

PhotoKirk posted:

quote:

you will get looks everywhere you go

They got that bit right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone melted a ranger.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think it looks pretty cool. Needs a engine though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revmoo posted:

I think it looks pretty cool. Needs a engine though.

That front end is hideous. A bumper might help the look but only an idiot would sink more money into that.. thing.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

I can't quite tell if it's the poor quality pictures or if the paint was poorly applied.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The fenders don't even line up with the cab. I kind of wonder if it would look...not OK but maybe ok-ish if the kit were proportioned properly.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
On why you shouldn't gently caress around with 3phase. Ever. :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBvmPRqfmo
I don't see any of him left. :catstare:

Edit: Also, have a substation meltdown. The arc melts through everything in its path until it boils over an oil filled transformer and you get the giant fireball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbQjd_Oo4Q

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 13, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Exit Strategy posted:

That's a mechanical SUCCESS, though - The spark's suboptimal but not out of tolerance for the equipment.

The failure's in one of the two smaller switches to the right of the big air switch. There are two of them in series to split the voltage stress of opening, and they're inside bottles of sodium hexafluoride to quench any arcs. The idea is that those switches open *rapidly* to break the circuit (which runs to a bank of power factor regulators off to the right), and then the big air switch opens, and then the little switches close again.

The rightmost switch fails to open, so when its partner does open, it can't stop the arc and the current just flashes across, so the circuit's still live when the air switch opens (you can stop the video and see the arc across that switch prior to the air switch opens and starts the big arc). What kills the arc is that the utility guys were there specifically to track down what was going on, and one of them manually pulled an upstream breaker. If they hadn't been there, that arc would probably have kept going until it arced to ground or another phase.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Holy poo poo.
Can someone explain what's going on here?

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
bike polo is hard on bikes, especially on handmade components from South America

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo.

Racked in a breaker to a live bus (which is done often, but it's far safer to do that with a robot). Breaker was either defective, not open, or something shorted across the bus bars. Either way, big boom, dead person, lots of damage to the equipment.

The really bad part is neither person was wearing appropriate PPE. Person racking it in probably never knew what hit them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ReptileChillock posted:

bike polo is hard on bikes, especially on handmade components from South America

Yeeeeeee. Considering the sorts of maneuvers they do, that looks like a very painful failure (not that it'd be great just riding on the street, but you know what I mean.)

Either a mechanical or chemical failure: the little synthetic fabric woven around the edge of my month-old sun screen is disintegrating and shedding grey poo poo all over my interior, presumably from heat buildup at the top of the windshield.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ReptileChillock posted:

At one time years and years ago, I had the brakes fail on a bike (front brakes only on that bike; brake cable snapped going down a steep hill).

The end result was identical, with the addition of some destroyed shoes and bruised plums. :stonk:

What the hell is bike polo?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 13, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Precisely what you'd think it is.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Marco?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jean-Luc?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Field hockey on bikes - two goals, small ball, bikers with long mallets.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Bicycles? Horses? Not dying horribly? Sounds really boring. Auto-Polo should make a come-back.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

At one time years and years ago, I had the brakes fail on a bike (front brakes only on that bike; brake cable snapped going down a steep hill).

The end result was identical, with the addition of some destroyed shoes and bruised plums. :stonk:

There used to be a much better video of this guy riding but the idea is there:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo.

Arc flash, the poor bastard. Something in that unit arced, and the resulting explosion turned him into chunky salsa from the resulting heat and explosive pressure wave as the copper went nearly instantly from solid to gaseous state.

It's one of the things they terrified us with in my electrical training courses, because it doesn't really have any warning signs, you just screw up and explode.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
You can't see much in that arc-flash video, but it's still a video of someone getting killed, might want to :nms: that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Well, at least it happens fast enough that you don't feel anything.
Please tell me it happens fast enough.