Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

The Sunday Prickly City is practically by a different goddamn person. I can only reconcile it by assuming that she's upset by BENGHAZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Sunday Benghazi Cities aren't political, apparently.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Apparently the bottom of the Obamacare rabbit hole (HA! HA! HA!) is pretty nice?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I guess that explains why I just remember it being a child and an animal wondering around desert landscapes, we only got the Sunday comics.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Agh god these own so hard. Please continue.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Agh god these own so hard. Please continue.

Agreed, I don't know where you're getting ideas for the text but they're pretty funny.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Yeah, the Ye Fowl Herald is basically alchemy, please keep doing them they crack me up

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The Wizard of Oz posted:

A lot of papers carry Sunday comics without the weeklies, so that you end up with an extra-large Sunday comics section. I figure Prickly City's are apolitical so that they can sell them to more papers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bill Watterson wrote about the challenge of writing Sunday strips that follow ongoing plots in the daily strips and making sure it still worked for readers who could only see one or the other.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's really not a good comic but I don't think many of you know anything about this and my own understanding is only superficial so there we go.

...this means I have to go back through his backlog and post all of the ones on the Cherokee freedmen issue huh? :smith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Here's a couple

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's really not a good comic but I don't think many of you know anything about this and my own understanding is only superficial so there we go.

...this means I have to go back through his backlog and post all of the ones on the Cherokee freedmen issue huh? :smith:
You should be posting every goddamn Two Bulls you can lay your grubby hands on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe I didn't understand that comic...is he bitching that once their slaves were freed, the Cherokee had to treat them like anyone else in their community rather getting to just throw the freedmen out with the clothes on their backs now that they don't get to own them anymore?

Because I thought TwoBulls usually had good opinions...am I A Bad Cartooning this? Someone help :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe I didn't understand that comic...is he bitching that once their slaves were freed, the Cherokee had to treat them like anyone else in their community rather getting to just throw the freedmen out with the clothes on their backs now that they don't get to own them anymore?

Because I thought TwoBulls usually had good opinions...am I A Bad Cartooning this? Someone help :(

I think the thing is that descendents of freedmen were formerly able to claim tribal membership, while the tribe itself wants to make membership based solely on blood relation, and that a forthcoming judicial decision will back the tribe's (and Marty's) opinion, or make it so non-blood-relations can remain in the tribe, thus reducing citizenship in value in their eyes to a wad of paperwork.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

I think he's expressing contempt that a federal judge gets to decide the meaning of tribal membership

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think Two Bulls is summarizing the issue and is implying this is an rear end in a top hat thing for the Cherokees to do, and that (in his opinion) they are in the wrong on the matter. I don't know the facts but it seems to be An Informative Cartoon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think Two Bulls is summarizing the issue and is implying this is an rear end in a top hat thing for the Cherokees to do, and that (in his opinion) they are in the wrong on the matter. I don't know the facts but it seems to be An Informative Cartoon.

See, I took it as him backing the Cherokee stance.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Allen Wren posted:

See, I took it as him backing the Cherokee stance.

Same. There's really nothing in that cartoon to indicate that he disagrees with the Cherokee stance. And the little thing in the corner only seems to back that point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Garrand posted:

Same. There's really nothing in that cartoon to indicate that he disagrees with the Cherokee stance. And the little thing in the corner only seems to back that point.
I read it that he's criticizing the Cherokee for causing the problem, which led the freedmen's descendants to sue.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nessus posted:

I read it that he's criticizing the Cherokee for causing the problem, which led the freedmen's descendants to sue.

I'm not sure where you're getting that. It seems to me he's throwing the freedmen under the bus. It any case it's crystal clear his support lies with the Cherokee.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
He's definitely critical of a federal judge making this decision, although I'm not clear on why exactly, beyond the general negative historic relationship between the native american peoples and the federal government.

Textually, his use of the word "fact" under A suggests his support, particularly with B couched in negative terms. I'm not clear, though- the gopher commentary at the bottom is another confusing narrative I can't quite make mesh.

My best reading of all the elements is this: Two Bulls supports the Cherokee and opposes the freedmen positions, but his real commentary is that by taking this position, the tribe is violating a treaty. As a result, the federal judge (who is evil, because gubmint) is ironically getting to say that the Cherokee violated a treaty, something the feds have been known to do in the past. At the same time, the ruling will diminish the meaning of what it is to be Cherokee.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 12, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's with the judge depiction, anyways? Is it just a generic "white people / government BAAAAAAAAD" or what?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Garrand posted:

Yeah I can't read the corner thing as anything other than "Well now it's our turn to break a treaty and gently caress over people darker than we!"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

The two options being "Uphold the fact that you must be born a Native American to be one" and "Allow Native American citizenship to be just another application process" shows pretty clearly what he thinks of the issue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a good likeness of Hogan, though. Hogan might have a negative reputation with the tribe already?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Garrand posted:

The two options being "Uphold the fact that you must be born a Native American to be one" and "Allow Native American citizenship to be just another application process" shows pretty clearly what he thinks of the issue.
I didn't read it as either or - my parsing was that he's saying, thanks to the Cherokee breaching the terms of that treaty, now the government will have precedent to further define who gets to be a Native American citizen. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I'm not reading "gently caress the freedmen" into this, I'm reading it as "thanks a lot, Cherokees! We Lakota really appreciate your fuckup!" - if he was focusing on the freedmen, uh, wouldn't be a white judge there in the center.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You're making fun of a woman who pleaded for 250+ small children not to be raped, mutilated, sold into slavery or murdered.

That is what you are making fun of, Muir.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well that's dick by day done for this comic, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh my god the first panel doesn't even need editing for penis by penis

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I now know what Muir says to his body pillow :stonk:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

Oh my god the first panel doesn't even need editing for penis by penis

Isn't that the joke?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

An awkward dick joke, or one man who is slowly drinking himself to death alone in a trailer who cries himself to sleep that he will never know the embrace of a family and crying for help?

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

50 million "vacay" cash, coming from the guy who lives off of $12,000 in donations a year to avoid paying taxes or losing government financial support.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

I didn't read it as either or - my parsing was that he's saying, thanks to the Cherokee breaching the terms of that treaty, now the government will have precedent to further define who gets to be a Native American citizen. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I'm not reading "gently caress the freedmen" into this, I'm reading it as "thanks a lot, Cherokees! We Lakota really appreciate your fuckup!" - if he was focusing on the freedmen, uh, wouldn't be a white judge there in the center.

I guess I can see it read that way, but that option B still belies the fact that he doesn't believe that freedmen should be considered Native Americans. I don't really know enough about Marty to say what are his opinions on what it takes to actually be a Native American. I don't think he cares that much about the freedmen, and that's why the depiction is on the evil judge who will rule against Native Americans (for the freedman) as opposed to just being about the freedmen themselves.

On the subject of Hogan, the only thing I can find about him that has to do with tribes is this ruling approving 3.4 billion dollars to be given to Native Americans so I don't think it's so much personal as just a general distrust when the US government makes rulings about Native Americans (for good reason, of course.)

So...is that Muir hinting that he's enjoying the Dick edits?

Garrand fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 12, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It took me looking at that last panel like 6 times to realize that it says "Help paint my ex-ATF MRAP pink." Also you're calling someone petty for trying to make a government give a poo poo about a load of kidnapped people good job.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jerusalem posted:

You're making fun of a woman who pleaded for 250+ small children not to be raped, mutilated, sold into slavery or murdered.

That is what you are making fun of, Muir.

And people thought I was joking when I said that the right wing was up in arms about Michelle Obama trying to promote the message.

Here's another example: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/10/blogger-jim-hoft-uses-nigerian-sex-slave-teens-hashtag-to-lol-at-non-sociopaths-concerns/

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Regardless of his opinion, it seems its more that the status of the freedmen has been kinda going back and forth for the past two decades as an internal Cherokee issue, and having the matter be decided by a white guy sets a bad precedent.

Native membership issues can be a loving nightmare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fried Chicken posted:

And people thought I was joking when I said that the right wing was up in arms about Michelle Obama trying to promote the message.

Here's another example: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/10/blogger-jim-hoft-uses-nigerian-sex-slave-teens-hashtag-to-lol-at-non-sociopaths-concerns/

This is just loving despicable. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Has 'Thrillary' come up for Hillary 2016 yet? It seems like something that would be used.

• Locked thread