Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

i was wondering why i couldnt remember any part of the episode, went back and realized it was all white noise i usually tune out: dota talk, spelunky talk, tv talk

How do you forget about the strawberries the size of a small dog's head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been growing increasingly tired of Idle Thumbs' insistence on keeping in like two minute stretches of them dancing around a conversation that they maybe do or don't want to have and marveling at eachother's idiosyncrasies or whatever it is they're doing during those segments. I don't know if they've been doing it more often or if I used to think it was funny, but that and the fact that I got absolutely nothing out of even the segments of this last episode that weren't a complete waste of time are starting to make me think I should stop listening.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I've had my fair share of "i don't care for this topic at all or disagree with their reasoning" moments too, but that's always the case in a highly unstructured "semi-improv" show swinging widely in tone and what hits or misses is also entirely subjective.

If you think your tastes have drifted out of the podcast's range then looking for a better matching alternative is probably the best way. Hell, Idle thumbs has been going since 2008, and 6 years is a lot of time for both your tastes and the podcast in question to change.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I've been growing increasingly tired of Idle Thumbs' insistence on keeping in like two minute stretches of them dancing around a conversation that they maybe do or don't want to have and marveling at eachother's idiosyncrasies or whatever it is they're doing during those segments. I don't know if they've been doing it more often or if I used to think it was funny, but that and the fact that I got absolutely nothing out of even the segments of this last episode that weren't a complete waste of time are starting to make me think I should stop listening.

I'm not sure how long you have been listening but IT probably isn't for you if this stuff annoys you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It doesn't bother me that much but I do think it's a bit weird that they spend a lot of time starting then deciding not to say things. It is a podcast and the audience tunes in to listen to you say things! It's probably more interesting than you give it credit for!

Also I kind of want to buy a Wii U for Smash Bros but I know it'll never capture the magic of 4 wavebirds on a crappy TV. That and the fact that it's out for 6 months on the 3DS first

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I might be going against the grain here, but unfortunately I think that Tone Control has been an utter failure as an experiment. Steve Gaynor pulls out these amazing guests, but unfortunately he always seems to be fumbling and bumbling around, tripping over his thoughts, it's almost as if he didnt prepare and is winging it while trying to formulate the questions in his head as he's already speaking. He takes way too long on certain areas, doesn't cover any new territory explored before in other, deeper interviews, he's never in command or really interested in specific things that might catch the eye of someone who's way into the games his guests may have made.

"sooo ummmmm about yourrr level designs... ummm... can you.... walk me through what might have been in your head as your designing them... ummm because..... to me.... as a designer.... I've always been interested in what that really means... soooo how did you come up with the level designs?"

I'm sorry, maybe I've been too exposed to proper interview podcasts like WTF of the Nerdist, I just feel that Gaynor didnt really plan or have the right mindset to really dig into the minds of the people he's interviewing and what they're really all about, this was especially damning in the Ken Levine episode, where we never really got a sense of Ken and never dug into his struggles and perfectionist streak during the designs of Infinite, and what his mindset is.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Al-Saqr posted:

I might be going against the grain here, but unfortunately I think that Tone Control has been an utter failure as an experiment. Steve Gaynor pulls out these amazing guests, but unfortunately he always seems to be fumbling and bumbling around, tripping over his thoughts, it's almost as if he didnt prepare and is winging it while trying to formulate the questions in his head as he's already speaking. He takes way too long on certain areas, doesn't cover any new territory explored before in other, deeper interviews, he's never in command or really interested in specific things that might catch the eye of someone who's way into the games his guests may have made.

"sooo ummmmm about yourrr level designs... ummm... can you.... walk me through what might have been in your head as your designing them... ummm because..... to me.... as a designer.... I've always been interested in what that really means... soooo how did you come up with the level designs?"

I'm sorry, maybe I've been too exposed to proper interview podcasts like WTF of the Nerdist, I just feel that Gaynor didnt really plan or have the right mindset to really dig into the minds of the people he's interviewing and what they're really all about, this was especially damning in the Ken Levine episode, where we never really got a sense of Ken and never dug into his struggles and perfectionist streak during the designs of Infinite, and what his mindset is.

I really liked the relaxed format. It felt like I was listening in on, well, "conversations with game developers." I loved it when they went off on weird little tangents (like the xcom dude talking about that commercial he was in). Felt more natural than a professional interview and Steve just sort of followed whatever he thought was interesting. I enjoyed them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I thought that was the main point of Tone Control, it's very laid back and free form. It's intentionally not a structured interview.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Also he isn't a journalist by trade iirc. He probably needs some practice

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ja2ke posted:

I love GameCube peripherals.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that a crew actually used five gamecubes with four GBA players and a copy of Crystal Chronicles to do the ultimate setup of that game, but now I can't find it.

I still think Crystal Chronicles was ahead of its time. I'm probably biased because I'm a huge fan of co-op hack-n-slash games like Gauntlet Legends and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but God that game would have been so awesome if you didn't have to jump through so many hoops to play it the "right" way (and if getting some of the best items didn't rely on you playing through the full game with four people in order to build up your hometown).

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The Ken Levine episode of Tone Control did seem really off, I don't know if it was because he use to be Gaynor's boss or his wife being in the same room, but Gaynor was really struggling to articulate his questions properly. Ended up sounding awkward and uncomfortable.

I really liked the previous Tim Schafer and especially the Jake Solomon episodes though, those were super cool and I learned a lot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I dunno why this makes me happy but the Bravewave sponsor that pops up a bunch on Idle Thumbs was started by a Kuwaiti guy with 0 contacts in the music or videogames industries. He just started emailing composers of videogames he played as a kid if they'd be interested in doing an album for the first one (World 1-2) and I guess it snowballed from there. The company is based in Japan but I think he's still mostly in Kuwait and goes back and forth. I'm guessing the fact that they can pay for ads now means they're doing alright?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm guessing the fact that they can pay for ads now means they're doing alright?

I imagine they got a huge boost in publicity/cash from when they participated in this bundle a few months back, where even if you assume every copy cost $1, that's still their share of $22k added to anything they got from people looking them up afterwards.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jesus Christ how many bundles are there these days? Are there any non-Humble ones that aren't packed with total garbage?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you honestly wanted an answer: IndieGala has become a weird crapshoot, sometimes running really good bundles and sometimes being utter trash. Their new model is doing smaller weeklong sales while a 'main' bundle runs over the course of a month and slowly unlocks additional titles for BTA purchases. Groupees does a lot of smaller, topic-specific bundles and also has a focus on musicians as well (because of how they began), but their "main" bundles (Be Mine [thing/number]) are usually solid and they've just implemented a $1 minimum policy, with the occasional tiered one. IndieRoyale started as a strong one but now they're very much "buy a bunch of stuff that might get Greenlit" or Desura-focused and possibly crap. The latter makes sense because, well. They're owned by Desura. Bundle Stars is dirt cheap and should only be purchased, rare exceptions aside, because you just want All The Games on Steam, and they tend to fill 8-12 game bundles with weird obscure titles.

I can think of at least 5 more sites that run bundles, most up-and-comers, but it's a hideous mess to keep track of all this at this point, even if you just want to occasionally get an indie title cheaper because "Oh, that sounds fun (but not $20 fun)".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I tend to go with Humble Bundles because they usually come with soundtracks packed in, and there's been some incredible ones in the past(to name a few: Shatter, Antigravity, Fastfall, Risk of Rain OST, PPPPPP, The Swapper OST, Tiny & Big OST), so even if I have all the games in the list I'll usually chip in the minimum amount needed to get all the soundtracks. Are there any other good ones that come with indie game soundtracks?

Sorry if there's already a thread for these things.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you honestly wanted an answer
I actually did, so thanks, that was interesting. I might try and remember to keep up on Groupees and IndieGala. God knows IndieRoyale would have to swim upward for days just to be at the bottom of the barrel.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I imagine they got a huge boost in publicity/cash from when they participated in this bundle a few months back, where even if you assume every copy cost $1, that's still their share of $22k added to anything they got from people looking them up afterwards.

I looked around a bit and its mostly funded by Mohammed's day job still.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Stan Taylor posted:

I really liked the relaxed format. It felt like I was listening in on, well, "conversations with game developers." I loved it when they went off on weird little tangents (like the xcom dude talking about that commercial he was in). Felt more natural than a professional interview and Steve just sort of followed whatever he thought was interesting. I enjoyed them.
Yeah, I feel like Steve's unpreparedness works in the podcast's favour myself. The biggest problem with other interviews with developers like this is that it turns into a really guarded, stale conversation, probably because most developers are used to interviews where they are trying to promote something, they're doing it with a PR person looking at them and shaking their head the whole time, and worried about saying something out of context that will be turned into a news story later. Meanwhile, while they are with Steve, it slowly just becomes a casual discussion, which is why you have them suddenly talking about parts of game development they hate or what they think their mistakes were.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Scorchy posted:

I really liked the previous Tim Schafer and especially the Jake Solomon episodes though, those were super cool and I learned a lot.

Same here. I was really sad when they ended because Tim and Jake had a bunch of cool stories.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I loathe Ryan Payton with a passion and even that was a cool episode to me. The Ken Levine episode just felt a bit off.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was "chippy" always a word used to describe electronics giving a person attitude, the equivalent of a human being lippy? Because that should really be coined if it hasn't.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

coyo7e posted:

Was "chippy" always a word used to describe electronics giving a person attitude, the equivalent of a human being lippy? Because that should really be coined if it hasn't.

The English will probably murder you if you appropriate one of their cutesy slang terms.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Al! posted:

The English will probably murder you if you appropriate one of their cutesy slang terms.
I dunno, I'm increasingly hearing "wank" and a couple of other Britishisms showing up in American podcasts these days. It gets bloody unsettling sometimes.

Also I blame Doctor loving Who. Has no-one told the US that's a children's show?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

Also I blame Doctor loving Who. Has no-one told the US that's a children's show?

In that case, I hope to god that's not where everyone's hearing "wank" from.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I think it's just inspiring Wenglishness.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

I think it's just inspiring Wenglishness.

I've always liked "weeabrits".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I wanted to say "Wanglicism", but I can't get past the wang.

That's what she sai:suicide:

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Idle Thumb Sean Vanaman had an interesting conversation with a desperate TF2 item trader.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had one of those and I just gave it away to some random guy because I hadn't even considered the shadow of the idea that it would be worth anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please tell Sean not to do that, Jake/Chris. The Sparkly Lugers, especially if you said that it was from internet celebrity Sean Vanaman, are still worth hundreds of dollars. Like 300-400 minimum still, I believe. If anything, sell it and donate the money to charity or something. That conversation is a hell of a lot like a lot of messages I've gotten for my valuable hattes, even down to the song singing and "I'll suck yo dick" stuff(even had a few threats!). If I was looking to make free money by begging random dudes for their items, I'd offer anything like that too. But professionals have standards.

Hakkeshu, you likely had a regular one, which are worth ~20 bucks. Telltale employees got special ones that have a sparkly unusual effect, which is otherwise unobtainable except by Valve employees.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 9, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe I SHOULD tell him to destroy his, to drive up the value of mine!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sell it and use the money to replace some of your real teeth with gold teeth

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I'd back a kickstarter that had idle thumbs/campo Santo recreate a rap music video, ideally a trap style music video like Gucci Mane or Wocka. Or the Trinidad James classic all gold everything.

And now I can't get the mental image out of my head of Jake squatting next to 24in rim, shooting dice and fanning himself with a fan made of hundred dollar bills.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al! posted:

Sell it and use the money to replace some of your real teeth with gold teeth

If this is in the US that would be more like a quarter of a tooth

edit: oh wait, haha, silly me, the Community Sparkle Lugermorphs are going for nearly a thousand dollars. I really hope Sean didn't just give his away for a (literal) song.

And if he wants me to broker it for him so he doesn't have to deal with the hassle of the terrible tf2 economy as well as getting a billion scammers trying to get it. That's the sort of item that'll attract the most devious, Snidely Whiplash moustache-twirling ones.

If dealing with a random dude on the internet is a problem, you could ask Brad Shoemaker, I've done a fair amount of business with him in the past, so I figure maybe a dude you guys actually know in person could assuage concerns.

If you or he would like to talk, I've got an SA-Mart thread with various details, or you can just add me on Steam to talk.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507625
http://steamcommunity.com/id/spessmarine/

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 9, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

If this is in the US that would be more like a quarter of a tooth

WELL THEN obviously he will have go to another country to get them.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man, new Dota Today! And it looks like Daft Souls talks about Dota as well! Yessss.

Did anyone listen to the newest Judge John Hodgman? It was about a dude who took too long during his turns in boardgames and was pretty funny, as usual.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Two notes about Abject Suffering:

1. Jenni from Video Games Taco joins us to talk about a dumb little horse MMO. http://duckfeed.tv/asp/36

2. We reached our first goal on Patreon, so Abject Suffering is now on a weekly format. Thanks everybody who made that happen!

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Song For The Deaf posted:

2. We reached our first goal on Patreon, so Abject Suffering is now on a weekly format. Thanks everybody who made that happen!

Awesome! Abject Suffering is a great show, glad you're having success on Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Real quick: We're a little light on responses about Killer 7 which is surprising given that it's such a polarizing game. If you want to send something in, we still have about 3 hours til when we record. https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

• Locked thread