Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It's not unheard of for blind people to have tv's. They like to listen to the same shows we watch. Now if that commercial was saying something and showing something totally different then that's just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Fog Tripper posted:

I blame Apple for starting the flood of commercials with (seemingly) intentional horrible music.

Latest :psyduck: ad I've seen is the drug for blind people. Completely blind people. Ad on TV. For blind people.
Yup, :psyduck:

This commercial is probably hilariously shady marketing by Vanda Pharmaceuticals. They have a drug they've been testing out for sleep disorders. The only relationship the results bear out (that are strong enough to get FDA approval for) have been in the blind group, so they've gone with a hardcore TV and radio campaign targeted at blind people to get the product into the public consciousness (the only way they can legally)

So now either the drug gets approved for sighted people with sleep disorders and everyone already knows about it or treatment for non-blind people becomes an off label usage

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gonz posted:

Wh....what's the blind person drug supposed to do?
Glad you asked. It's a disorder of the moment, in the vein of Restless Leg Syndrome and Low T (seriously, are we that dumb as a country that we need to shorten the full name of a sex hormone that everyone knows to a single goddamn letter?), called "Non-24." To keep it short: every living thing, including plants, operates on a 24-hour rhythm and their body adjusts to it accordingly. This is why we have jet lag after traveling through several time zones on an airplane. I guess blind people can potentially have that rhythm screwed up for... some reason that's not exactly clear. And that's why I don't buy it. Why not have "Non-24" drugs for blind dogs and blind cats? If this disorder exists, surely their rhythm is screwed up, so let's give them something to fix it!

Speaking of low testosterone (I'm not calling it by its fad name), I have two problems with the radioactive snake oil that supposedly fixes it. One, if you don't need it for medical reasons, it's as cancerous as toxic waste. Two, of course you're going to have lower testosterone when you're in your late 30s when compared to your early 20s, because that's part of the process of aging.

It's pretty sad that I didn't learn anything new about biology after high school, and yet I still know enough to see through the pharma companies' smoke and mirrors.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 11, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A questionable drug marketed on television to blind people to help correct alleged irregularities in their Circadian rhythm.

Incredible.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

Why not have "Non-24" drugs for blind dogs and blind cats? If this disorder exists, surely their rhythm is screwed up, so let's give them something to fix it!

Having lived with cats, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give a poo poo because they'll just eat and sleep whenever they drat well feel like it regardless of where the sun is at the time.

There's a radio commercial for a study about it that the guy says "you can't see me because I'm on the radio and I can't see you because I'm totally blind." The inference I made is that he'd be able to see me through the radio if he wasn't totally blind.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I work the graveyard shift and I'd love to have my circadian rhythm straightened out. Is Non-24 or whatever not a real thing? All I know is that it has a wikipedia article and some blind guy on the radio won't shut up about it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

MrSlam posted:

I work the graveyard shift and I'd love to have my circadian rhythm straightened out. Is Non-24 or whatever not a real thing? All I know is that it has a wikipedia article and some blind guy on the radio won't shut up about it.

Non-24 is the name a group of PR and market researchers came up with for a broad series of disorders that likely didn't have a name before despite being ostensibly a real thing because there are a lot of things that can gently caress with your circadian rhythm (graveyard shifts/college, insomnia, probably also lack of light), but now that Vanda has a drug that maybe sort of might help people with it (and definitely has had some proven scientific effect on blind people) boy howdy will they be happy to sell it to you

Circadian rhythm disorders are a real thing, it's just that it's very often created or exacerbated by lifestyle, so there's never been much money in curing it when most people can correct their rhythm just by making a concerted effort to sleep at the right time and possibly taking some melatonin for a bit. I'm kind of curious what these ads are going to metamorphose into in the next year or so because I can't imagine this massive "awareness" campaign is Vanda's endgame. They're probably pushing to get it approved for sighted people

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Gonz posted:

Wh....what's the blind person drug supposed to do?

I don't know. Balance issues or something?

Vicas posted:

This commercial is probably hilariously shady marketing by Vanda Pharmaceuticals. They have a drug they've been testing out for sleep disorders. The only relationship the results bear out (that are strong enough to get FDA approval for) have been in the blind group, so they've gone with a hardcore TV and radio campaign targeted at blind people to get the product into the public consciousness (the only way they can legally)

So now either the drug gets approved for sighted people with sleep disorders and everyone already knows about it or treatment for non-blind people becomes an off label usage

Ah yeah, it IS for sleep disorders.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Vicas posted:

I'm kind of curious what these ads are going to metamorphose into in the next year or so because I can't imagine this massive "awareness" campaign is Vanda's endgame. They're probably pushing to get it approved for sighted people

Next up: Radio campaign targeting the deaf.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Y-Hat posted:

To keep it short: every living thing, including plants, operates on a 24-hour rhythm and their body adjusts to it accordingly.

I thought it was more like a 25-hour cycle? The person who told me this was mentioning it in the context of "it works out to about the same as the Martian day, which is interesting, don't you think?", so there's room for skepticism, but he doesn't usually screw up the science. He just likes to imply connections to crazy things from the real actual things he reads about and see who bites.

Anyway, if we're operating on a 25-hour cycle, then doesn't that mean we ALL have "non-24"? :ohdear:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Notgothic posted:

I thought it was more like a 25-hour cycle? The person who told me this was mentioning it in the context of "it works out to about the same as the Martian day, which is interesting, don't you think?", so there's room for skepticism, but he doesn't usually screw up the science. He just likes to imply connections to crazy things from the real actual things he reads about and see who bites.

Anyway, if we're operating on a 25-hour cycle, then doesn't that mean we ALL have "non-24"? :ohdear:

If you were operating on a 25 hour cycle then you'd go to sleep one hour later every day until you were sleeping in the late morning, then early afternoon, then back to night again

It wouldn't really make much sense, your friend is probably crazy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Glad you asked. It's a disorder of the moment, in the vein of Restless Leg Syndrome and Low T (seriously, are we that dumb as a country that we need to shorten the full name of a sex hormone that everyone knows to a single goddamn letter?)

Better talk to your doctor about your potential for A-Fib.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Notgothic posted:

Not Jack Bauer.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
^^^Well you see, when they electrocuted Jack and stopped his heart and all that, he came back with Perfect Circadian Rhythms. Ask your doctor!

Vicas posted:

If you were operating on a 25 hour cycle then you'd go to sleep one hour later every day until you were sleeping in the late morning, then early afternoon, then back to night again

It wouldn't really make much sense, your friend is probably crazy

This article suggests (about halfway down the first page) that it's a genetic thing, and that sunlight cues cause people to remain on a 24-hour cycle. Which, actually that kind of makes the idea of blind people having a bigger issue with this non-24 thing make a certain amount of sense, for a lovely pop-medical "problem".

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Notgothic posted:

^^^Well you see, when they electrocuted Jack and stopped his heart and all that, he came back with Perfect Circadian Rhythms. Ask your doctor!

This article suggests (about halfway down the first page) that it's a genetic thing, and that sunlight cues cause people to remain on a 24-hour cycle. Which, actually that kind of makes the idea of blind people having a bigger issue with this non-24 thing make a certain amount of sense, for a lovely pop-medical "problem".

Huh, interesting. Guess we all really did come from Mars then

I guess it makes sense that Non-24 in a completely blind person would happen, if you tend towards 25 hours without light. Again, it's probably a real disease in some sense of the words but the only reason anyone capable of posting on this forum has heard of it is because Vanda is trying to get this approved for everyone to use

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

raditts posted:

Better talk to your doctor about your potential for A-Fib.

PROCEED TO THE DESIGNATED ROUTE

Who the hell uses GPS to go somewhere on a regular basis? If your memory is that lovely, you have Alzheimer's and shouldn't be driving.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC

Kill me now. Kill. Me. Now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate the coke make happiness commercials with the people playing covers of songs. It reminds me of those stupid youtube acoustic covers. I actually like one of the songs which annoys me more.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't hate the Gigantic commercial as much as the rest of you I guess. It just makes me laugh that there's a commercial running constantly in which a woman sings about a huge black dick.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't hate the Gigantic commercial as much as the rest of you I guess. It just makes me laugh that there's a commercial running constantly in which a woman sings about a huge black dick.

Isn't a kid also cheerfully playing along on drums?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
SPEAKING OF INAPPROPRIATE MUSIC FOR COMMERCIALS:

Animal Planet has this bumper now for their channel that uses Kanye West's "Black Skinhead" and I am just. BOGGLED. Do they even know what that song is about? I'd ask Motorola that as well since they were using it for their ads this past winter.

(As I was posting this, I immediately remembered the earliest trailers for The Wolf of Wall Street and the use of that song there is kinda ... I don't know, it fits but it doesn't fit.)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My favourite instance of inappropriate music in commercials is when a coal company used 16 Tons for an ad that kind of reminds me of the music video for Satisfaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

There's a recent Heineken ad where a Spanish version of that song is used. It's not as bad as the video I posted but still confusing.

I hate really loud music ads on youtube. Every third ad is that Lonely No More ripoff just blaring "ALL I NEED IS A BIT OF LOVE IN MY LIFE" out of my speakers.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 12, 2014

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Celery Face posted:

My favourite instance of inappropriate music in commercials is when a coal company used 16 Tons for an ad that kind of reminds me of the music video for Satisfaction.

Holy poo poo.

Nothing about that could be any less wrong.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

There was a cosmetics commercial a few months back that used "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars. "Girl you're amazing just the way you are. Now buy more makeup so you can be prettier and better!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

Holy poo poo.

Nothing about that could be any less wrong.

Actually, GE doesn't mine the coal, they build the things that burn it, so it's not really their problem how it gets out of the ground.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

It might have been mentioned already, but the AT&T commercial with the baby and whispering parents drives me loving crazy. I don't know why, I just really hate listening to people whisper like that and they've done the entire commercial in whispers. The whole concept is just kind of stupid too, although I guess they were really trying to drive home the "it's a family plan!" thing.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Sash! posted:

Actually, GE doesn't mine the coal, they build the things that burn it, so it's not really their problem how it gets out of the ground.

Never mind that, but the message of the song vs. the intention of the commercial, the dreary tone vs. the "sexy people mining coal thing," and the fact that it conveniently fades out right as it's saying "another day older and deeper in debt" all smack of complete ignorance at best and sinister misappropriation at worst.

And of course, the worst option is more than likely the correct one.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Saw a third one online that I haven't seen on TV yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFdLFMvh3Y

How does she get that robe off? I guess its intangible to wires?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
It feels like there should be a name for the hip young people dancing and laughing at the beach or in stylish underground hangouts lit only by Christmas lights in every other commercial out there. They're in shoe commercials, phone commercials, fast food commercials. They're always doing wacky quirky poo poo and enjoying it like they just won the lottery. Sometimes these commercials end with some slogan centered around "This is me" or some self-aggrandizing catchphrase followed by hashtags and freshly mainstream social-media jargon. They're the ideal of the 18-29 year old demographic.

Hipster can't be the word I'm looking for, can it? What the hell do you call this marketing? Whatever it is I try to tune this stuff out as soon as it comes on, partially because it's annoying and partially because it makes me feel like I did something wrong with my life

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Here's a commercial that really annoys me for a really dumb reason: the San Pellegrino commercial where the guys in Shanghai sneak into a kitchen at 4 a.m. to cook a meal that goes just perfect with their fancy water. Obviously lol at selling upscale bottled water, but whatever, there's a market. What really gets me is that these dudes are sneaking into a hotel kitchen at 4 in the morning, which was literally just painstakingly cleaned, probably by the guy you see leaving as our roguish heroes sneak in. These dudes have better spent the next 20 minutes just cleaning up so no one knows they're there, because if not that dude who was just working until 4 in the morning is probably getting fired, and that's just not fair

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

MrSlam posted:

partially because it makes me feel like I did something wrong with my life

That's the idea. "Hey you, YES YOU, look how much fun these idiots are having thanks to Our Brand (tm). Maybe you should buy Our Brand so you can have as much fun as them!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is this like the jeans commercial that used Fortunate Son or the cruise ship commercials that used Lust for Life and the context of the rest of the song make it obvious that's what the song is about, or is it one of those things where the band was asked about it later and they were like "yeah, it's about dicks"?

Celery Face posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress. Sometimes you have to imagine that these things are just a matter of the advertising companies hating their clients and seeing what they can get away with in their commercials. But that one, holy poo poo, the lyrics are all there, all you have to do is listen to them!

Otherwise, I guess they're just banking on the whole retarded romantic American notion of coal mining being all salt-of-the-earthy and a symbol of Hard Work rather than an exploited work force that will die from inhalation of dust and toxic fumes if not from a mine collapse.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 12, 2014

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

raditts posted:

Is this like the jeans commercial that used Fortunate Son or the cruise ship commercials that used Lust for Life and the context of the rest of the song make it obvious that's what the song is about, or is it one of those things where the band was asked about it later and they were like "yeah, it's about dicks"?

You be the judge: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pixies/gigantic.html

quote:

Lovely legs they are
What a big black mess
What a hunk of love
Walk her every day into a shady place
He's like the dark, but I'd want him

QuickbreathFinisher
Sep 28, 2008

by reading this post you have agreed to form a gay socialist micronation.
`
Completely random: does anyone remember a 90s PSA about stealing cable with kids bringing their parents to work and talk about their jobs? I remember a little girl saying "my daddy is the best daddy in the world," then listing a bunch of normal dad stuff and ending with "and he even gets us free cable!" And then a cop dad that's also there arrests him. Anyone remember this? I can't find it anywhere, but it's burned into my memory like that Sears air conditioner commercial ('Nother scorcher!).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Miss Kalle posted:

SPEAKING OF INAPPROPRIATE MUSIC FOR COMMERCIALS:

Animal Planet has this bumper now for their channel that uses Kanye West's "Black Skinhead" and I am just. BOGGLED. Do they even know what that song is about? I'd ask Motorola that as well since they were using it for their ads this past winter.

(As I was posting this, I immediately remembered the earliest trailers for The Wolf of Wall Street and the use of that song there is kinda ... I don't know, it fits but it doesn't fit.)
I remember that years ago the NFL used Eminem's "My Name Is" for one of their commercials, and after each "my name is" there was someone shouting "Joe" (as in Montana). That commercial was pulled in very short order.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

That's hilarious.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

SpazmasterX posted:

That's hilarious.

Yeah the song isn't exactly subtle, some marketing exec is probably laughing about getting it on tv right now

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Still not as funny as the marketing department that approved the Hyundai Equus.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

raditts posted:

It's both. The lyrics Vicas posted are pretty drat obvious, but also from a well documented Pixies fansite & elsewhere:

quote:

Kim Deal said she took inspiration from a 1986 Bruce Beresford movie, "Crimes Of The Heart", in which Sissy Spacek is a married woman who falls in love with a 15-year old black guy. Diane Keaton, Jessica Lange and Sam Shepard were also in this movie. (translated from a Spanish article)

More specifically, the idea of the movie (and the play that it's based on) is three dysfunctional Southern sisters are reunited after the youngest, Babe, shoots her husband. Why'd she shoot him? Because he caught her nailing a 15 year old black kid from the neighborhood and shoved him down the stairs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

vyst posted:

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC

GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC
GIGANTIC

Kill me now. Kill. Me. Now.

I never paid much mind to that one but my wife mutes the TV every time it comes on.