Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I'm excited for Renee but she should be, like, way younger than Bruce Wayne.

FFS they needed to just make Gotham Central or, heck, just make a Batman TV show.

With the mention of Cris and Renee as regulars, I wonder if they wanted Gotham Central, but either Fox were antsy about not having Batman in it and needed a 'reason' he couldn't appear, or they demanded Bruce Wayne in some form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't mind if Gotham retcons Montoya into being older than Bruce by a decade or so if it means giving the show a strong character that already has lots of goodwill towards it. She was one of the strongest elements in Gotham Central, and if they get her and Cris' relationship down then that'll be enough of an inroad for me into Gotham since they're two more familiar faces.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
An Arrow promo has the first peek at the Flash trailer, and the first clip of the Flash in action.

e: Ah poo poo, missed the earlier post.

But anyway, does anyone think the super-speed effect looks a bit, I don't know, over the top? Not just in fx terms, but I don't think he'd really excel at stealth. Although I doubt that they'll keep it so overt all the time.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 13, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've said in the show his powers are more destructive than in the comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Depending on how far they push it they can use it as an excuse to not have him just super speed and solve everything if it causes damage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Depending on how far they push it they can use it as an excuse to not have him just super speed and solve everything if it causes damage.

That's probably the primary reason.

There aren't a whole lot of things you can't solve at super speed. And unless they want to make him a moron like Smallville Clark Kent not giving him the magic friction shield he has in the comics works.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there potential for other DC cameos in Constantine, like Zauriel or Etrigan?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greatn posted:

Is there potential for other DC cameos in Constantine, like Zauriel or Etrigan?

Also Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter, Doctor Occult, Mr E, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr Fate ...

I'll be disappointed if Swamp Thing doesn't at least get namechecked, for old times sake. :colbert:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Timothy Hunter, Doctor Occult, Mr E, Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Dr Fate ...

I'll be disappointed if Swamp Thing doesn't at least get namechecked, for old times sake. :colbert:

SHIELD already name checked Man-Thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soonmot posted:

SHIELD already name checked Man-Thing.
Swamp Thing gave Constantine his first break so John owes him.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 13, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Swamp Thing should show up on Constantine while they play his old cartoon theme every time he walks into a scene.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man Thing gave Constantine his first break so John owes him.
No, ORIGINAL WRITER gave him his first break.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok what's the Original Writer injoke I'm missing here? Does it involve Alan Moore being a prick?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Ok what's the Original Writer injoke I'm missing here? Does it involve Alan Moore being a prick?
Marvel is crediting Moore as The Original Writer for the Miracleman reprints because he is done with them (he wants everyone else involved to get their respective credit though), and this way everyone's happy.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 13, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Marvel is crediting Moore as The Original Writer for the Miracleman reprints because he is done with them (he wants everyone else involved to get their respective credit though), and this way everyone's happy.

Gotcha.

Courtesy of the TVIV Arrow thread. (VDay pulled some trailer stills as well in that post.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

gently caress have Morpheus show up

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

achillesforever6 posted:

gently caress have Morpheus show up

It would be pretty sweet if Swamp Thing and Sandman showed up to do the story arc that they were involved in for the comics, but the whole thing is told from John's point of view.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

zoux posted:

Well, Alan Moore claims to have met him twice in real life afterall

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
One interesting anecdote that I should point out is that one day, I was in Westminster in London -- this was after we had introduced the character -- and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut -- he looked -- no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar. I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Constantine was supposed to look like Bowie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I thought Constantine was supposed to look like Bowie.

Sting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Agents of Shield finale really did redeem a lot of the stupid bullshit in the first half and make sitting through all of it worth it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And season 2 will feature crazy Coulson and an army of robot Patton Oswalts taking over America.

(Probably not.)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
That ep really stuck the landing in every way it needed to.

achillesforever6 posted:

The Agents of Shield finale really did redeem a lot of the stupid bullshit in the first half and make sitting through all of it worth it.

I don't know if I'd go that far, you could definitely set up a viewing guide for the first season that excised whole episodes with zero narrative loss.

Hopefully with the later time slot next year and it's new found love of nailguns and curb stomping things get a little darker and a lot more serialized.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Dang, I can't recall the last time a show has taken such a turn for the positive as SHIELD has. That finale was excellent.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So... how long until Marvel announces a miniseries to install Coulson as director of SHIELD in 616?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

404GoonNotFound posted:

So... how long until Marvel announces a miniseries to install Coulson as director of SHIELD in 616?

Considering they recently introduced him into the comics, I would give it a year or two, unless they end up not really following through with that plan on the show. I can totally see them having him be a founder of New SHIELD but stepping down from the top seat because of a case of the crazies that make him doubt himself. Then they could give it to Maria Hill.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Beanpants posted:

Dang, I can't recall the last time a show has taken such a turn for the positive as SHIELD has. That finale was excellent.

We talking like, Sarah Connor Chronicles size quality improvements?

DynamicSloth posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, you could definitely set up a viewing guide for the first season that excised whole episodes with zero narrative loss.

Would you guys mind doing that?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

boom boom boom posted:

We talking like, Sarah Connor Chronicles size quality improvements?

Similar, although AoS still does fall back to old bad habits here and there unlike SCC, which was all amazing all around at the end.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 14, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Good thing they finally decided to explain that blue alien and how Coulson came back to life.

Oh.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Would you guys mind doing that?

Here's a list I made with the idea in mind of excising as many episodes as possible. Like cancer. :) If you have more time/patience on your hands I included some optional episodes at the bottom.

1x01 Pilot
1x05 Girl in the Flower Dress
1x07 The Hub
1x10 The Bridge & 1x11 The Magical Place
1x13 T.R.A.C.K.S. & 1x14 T.A.H.I.T.I.
1x16 The End of the Beginning & 1x17 Turn, Turn, Turn

Optionally, also watch:
1x04 Eye Spy - Mediocre episode. Introduces several concepts, but they're simple enough to be skippable, like the team building a tranq gun.
1x08 The Well - Worst episode of the series. But it has some Ward backstory that's vaguely important.
1x12 Seeds - Decent episode with some Skye backstory, but they do go over it again in other episodes. Also SHIELD academy which is neat.

Waterhaul posted:

Good thing they finally decided to explain that blue alien and how Coulson came back to life.

Oh.

What element of Coulson's resurrection is still left a mystery to you? I feel like they've laid it pretty bare.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 14, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

XboxPants posted:

What element of Coulson's resurrection is still left a mystery to you? I feel like they've laid it pretty bare.

It's dragging more nonsense out. Pilot opens with "oh how is Coulson alive, eventually it's oh a Doctor did it in Tahiti, then but wait tahiti is T.A.H.I.T.I because we do that with everything and then there was an alien involved in it?"

Which will no doubt be dragged out to until after Avengers 2 comes out followed by "Well we couldn't mention it was a Kree until after Avengers 2 came out so here's some more information now. Even though we've also introduced LMDs so could have just done that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Basically after episode 10 they're all relevant enough (or good enough) that you don't need a guide from then on.

The episodes are still a bit lacking at that point though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It's dragging more nonsense out.

I don't know man, the show I've been watching has been treating it like it's been pretty much resolved. To me there's a difference between a mystery of what happened in the past and a mystery of what's gonna happen in the future. One is dragging out poo poo that they well could tell us, and the other is just setting up plotlines for the future.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Basically after episode 10 they're all relevant enough (or good enough) that you don't need a guide from then on.

The episodes are still a bit lacking at that point though.

You're a cruel man indeed to subject someone to the Lorelei episode. Have you forgotten your Hippocratic Oath, Dr. Spaceman? Thou shall do no harm! :qq:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 14, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I kinda liked it :shrug:

I mean, it wasn't fantastic but I don't think it stood out as being particularly bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It's dragging more nonsense out. Pilot opens with "oh how is Coulson alive, eventually it's oh a Doctor did it in Tahiti, then but wait tahiti is T.A.H.I.T.I because we do that with everything and then there was an alien involved in it?"

Which will no doubt be dragged out to until after Avengers 2 comes out followed by "Well we couldn't mention it was a Kree until after Avengers 2 came out so here's some more information now. Even though we've also introduced LMDs so could have just done that.

They found alien blood with healing properties. It's resolved.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah the only thing they didn't resolve as a mystery was Skye's history and that's obviously going to be a season 2 thing

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And it put some cosmic knowledge on the brains of people who got the treatment, which makes them a little crazy if you don't erase their memory. But that is a good plot hook and not a dragged out mystery. We know what is happening to Coulson and why, now we get to find out what comes of it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

They found alien blood with healing properties. It's resolved.

So what's the alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

So what's the alien?

Why is that important to know right now?