Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cheesetriangles posted:

Fast Forward is the worst version because I skipped every dialogue and cutscene and video in my "collect skill cards get personas optimized for a very hard run" play and I felt guilty about it. That run also had a downer ending I pushed namatame into the tv

I'm pretty sure you can only fight Margaret in NG+ if you got the true ending on your previous playthrough, so you kinda screwed yourself out of some content there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oh well gently caress it I don't care.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

Atlus USA projected 150k sales for the PS2 version of P4 when it launched. Even combined with the numbers from Golden, I don't think P4 has even cracked a million copies in North America.

No, Persona 4 Golden sold over a million copies.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I said come in! posted:

No, Persona 4 Golden sold over a million copies.

You have a source on this?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Strange Quark posted:

I don't even know if the Vita's sold 1 million in the United States alone.

Assuming it did, that number seems perfectly reasonable. It would be a shame to buy a $250 Persona 4 machine without buying Persona 4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

A quick search gets this story from IGN. P4G shipped 700k copies. Not sold, shipped. This was a few months ago though, could be over a million by now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

A quick search gets this story from IGN. P4G shipped 700k copies. Not sold, shipped. This was a few months ago though, could be over a million by now.
That's world-wide though, isn't it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

That's world-wide though, isn't it?

It doesn't say.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

It doesn't say.

A Siliconera article on the same thing clarifies that it's 350k+ in Japan, 700k+ worldwide.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ah, I didn't notice that. My mistake.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is it just me or did they make the sub bosses way harder in P4G? I remember killing the king and cop sub bosses as an aside while doing the subsequent dungeons respectively when I played regular Persona 4 but this time the Kings rampage seems to do even more damage (I'm using a resist phys Persona as well) while the cop just destroys my party with their weaknesses and then my main dude can't deal enough damage on his own to win. I've gotten them both down to being dead in like one or two turns but that feels like mostly luck.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As far as I know, they're exactly the same. You might just be less prepared for them since the bosses of their respective dungeons were made easier.

You can just leave out Yukiko for the Officer fight. That way you'll only have to deal with Kanji's Wind weakness.

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013
I've found that once I've killed the boss of the current dungeon, I can do the optional boss of the previous dungeon. Not quite sure whether it will hold up all game, I'm on the computer game dungeon at the moment.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Andrealinia posted:

I've found that once I've killed the boss of the current dungeon, I can do the optional boss of the previous dungeon. Not quite sure whether it will hold up all game, I'm on the computer game dungeon at the moment.

Seems like a good rule of thumb, think I just got lucky on my original P4 playthrough. I managed to beat each optional one during the next dungeon, used climbing the dungeons again as sort of rest stops for filling up SP with invigorate and that arcana card that fills your SP. I killed the cop and king and beat the stripclub atual boss all in one day in the end anyway. Good times.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Atlus USA projected 150k sales for the PS2 version of P4 when it launched. Even combined with the numbers from Golden, I don't think P4 has even cracked a million copies in North America.

1 Million is a lot. Unless youre Mario you never get close to a million in Japan.. Getting 1 million sales on a localization isnt bad at all!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

KoB posted:

1 Million is a lot. Unless youre Mario you never get close to a million in Japan.. Getting 1 million sales on a localization isnt bad at all!

Well, the point is that it didn't though. It probably got something like 500k at best across the two games, assuming some combination of Atlus meeting their projected 150k for vanilla P4 and the 350k non-Japan sales for Golden.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Golden got something like 350k in Japan and another 350k outside of it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
My friend recommended me Persona 4, and seemed almost shocked that i hadn't played/really heard about it. I don't have a PS Vita, is Persona 4 on the PSN playable? Or is it really showing its age?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

UberJumper posted:

My friend recommended me Persona 4, and seemed almost shocked that i hadn't played/really heard about it. I don't have a PS Vita, is Persona 4 on the PSN playable? Or is it really showing its age?

P4 on PS2 is a great game. P4G on Vita is a perfect game. Either are fine to play.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
P4 Vanilla is totally fine. You lose out on some extra context and some changes that make stuff like fusion less tedious, but P4 Vanilla is still a great game. That's all I've ever played.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Golden got something like 350k in Japan and another 350k outside of it.

Considering the number of Vitas out there that's super impressive.

Accordion Man posted:

P4 Vanilla is totally fine. You lose out on some extra context and some changes that make stuff like fusion less tedious, but P4 Vanilla is still a great game. That's all I've ever played.

The new fusion system is really great and I'm really looking forward to P5 using SMT4's fusion system which is even better.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Thanks!

Is there anything besides what is in the OP that i should know about before i start my journey? (I have never played any of the persona games).

I get the feeling this is going to be a weird weird game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OP's advice is pretty solid for Vanilla P4. I'd also suggest that you try to finish dungeons as early as possible, both because it will help out your S. Link schedule for party members and because you'll probably want to spread the first couple of dungeons out across a couple of days to alleviate your SP woes.

E: Except for December, which you want to put off until the last minute (the 22nd).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 13, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Nate RFB posted:

OP's advice is pretty solid for Vanilla P4. I'd also suggest that you try to finish dungeons as early as possible, both because it will help out your S. Link schedule for party members and because you'll probably want to spread the first couple of dungeons out across a couple of days to alleviate your SP woes.

Thanks, i will do that. I am super confused about the name entry, why do they want the Last name first? Is that how it shows up in game?

Like if my guys name is for example John Shepard, and i enter it such Shepard John, is the game going to call me Shepard John?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

UberJumper posted:

Thanks, i will do that. I am super confused about the name entry, why do they want the Last name first? Is that how it shows up in game?

Like if my guys name is for example John Shepard, and i enter it such Shepard John, is the game going to call me Shepard John?
No, it's surname first because that's how Japan does names. So if you input Shepard John it will be John Shepard in-game.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Accordion Man posted:

No, it's surname first because that's how Japan does names. So if you input Shepard John it will be John Shepard in-game.

:psyboom:

So basically the order the game asks you in is the order your name will appear. In Japan are they going to call you by your Surname or your first name?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Shepard-kun

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

UberJumper posted:

:psyboom:

So basically the order the game asks you in is the order your name will appear. In Japan are they going to call you by your Surname or your first name?

Different characters will address you differently; in general, addressing you by your surname means they're being more formal. When your full name appears in-game, it'll appear in Western order; given name followed by surname.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Squallege posted:

Shepard-kun

:allears: It is stupid as hell, but i have to do it.

Thuryl posted:

Different characters will address you differently; in general, addressing you by your surname means they're being more formal. When your full name appears in-game, it'll appear in Western order; given name followed by surname.

So it is a weird mix of western and Japanese style?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 13, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Accordion Man posted:

Some folks also prefer P4 Vanilla's voice acting. I'll probably always be on the fence about that, but it's by no means a dealbreaker.

Squallege posted:

Shepard-kun

Wrex-kun.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

UberJumper posted:

:allears: It is stupid as hell, but i have to do it.

So it is a weird mix of western and Japanese style?

You're almost never going to refer to others by their first names in Japan unless you're really close. The English localization actually had your party members call each other by their first names in the game, whereas in the Japanese version they only used surnames.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Strange Quark posted:

You're almost never going to refer to others by their first names in Japan unless you're really close. The English localization actually had your party members call each other by their first names in the game, whereas in the Japanese version they only used surnames.

Ahh okay, thanks that makes sense.

Chie seems really mean :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chie is actually great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chie is cool, Yosuke just needs his rear end kicked every once in a while.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chie's great (Golden VA supremacy though). I felt bad for Yosuke too at first, but he earns it by the end of a school event later don't you worry.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's a weird cultural thing, you watch a show or read a manga and you're all :confused: about people awkwardly stammering out one another's given names, while I'd casually used Japanese given names on those I've met in uni.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I cannot beat this stupid knight for the life of me, i know it uses fire attacks, and its weak to ice. But i simply cannot kill it before it just overwhelms my party.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

UberJumper posted:

I cannot beat this stupid knight for the life of me, i know it uses fire attacks, and its weak to ice. But i simply cannot kill it before it just overwhelms my party.

Does it perform a move called Power Charge? That greatly amplifies the damage of its next attack, so you should make sure everyone guards to mitigate the damage.

You may potentially be under-leveled for that section, say if you're barely defeating the enemies around you. The opening can be rough, I was immediately trounced by a king monster with summons on the second floor my first time. You have more time than it seems to finish the dungeon, if you want to take a game day to level up some.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Danbri posted:

Does it perform a move called Power Charge? That greatly amplifies the damage of its next attack, so you should make sure everyone guards to mitigate the damage.

You may potentially be under-leveled for that section, say if you're barely defeating the enemies around you. The opening can be rough, I was immediately trounced by a king monster with summons on the second floor my first time. You have more time than it seems to finish the dungeon, if you want to take a game day to level up some.

It was the knight around level ~4 of Yuriko's dungeon. I kind of stumbled into the battle half expecting to get a save point before that boss. He ended up killing my weakened guys pretty quickly. I reloaded and i ended up killing him pretty well. Now i am stuck on the Yuriko-thing on level 9 of the tower.

Its April 23rd and i cannot figure out how to beat her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You mean Yukiko? She's weak to ice, Prince Charming is weak to lightning. Chie has Bufu, you can get Zio and Bufu on your main character. Yosuke can throw healing items when needed since he can't hit anyone's weakness.

There are no mid dungeon save points. But if you leave the dungeon you can resume from the last floor you completed.

• Locked thread