Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, I think with Abaddon it's more that she had a lot of good potential that they never really used. Most of the season was just everyone talking about how scary she was without actually showing her doing much of anything, and the threat kind of wore off. The beginning of the season was cool and off to a good start with her but it all kind of petered out, and her death was less about finally vanquishing a threatening big bad and more about showing off Dean's new weird powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So can Abaddon not use her psychic wind powers to just throw the blade out of the window? Also, after watching this show for 9 seasons, I cannot figure why these people find it so difficult to calmly explain a situation so it doesn't backfire on them in stupid ways. Oh well, here's to Dean gutting Sam next episode or so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
BRO ANGST is the reason.

Abbadon was pretty decent as a villain, but holy crap was she underused. She was basically a thug, and only had plans for the whole "reaping souls" bit. Other than that she basically just ran around bossing everyone around and then losing her poo poo when Dean went all dark side.

She started out as something that might have evolved into something incredibly awesome, like crowley went from crossroads demon to king of hell, but it all just kind of poo poo itself at the end.

Still, wondering if BRO ANGST is going to cause Sam/Dean to split up again in the finale when Cain comes knocking for that price Dean owes him.

Honestly though, as much as I disliked the episode and the dumb way Abbadon went out, it was still leagues better than Bloodlines. Hell, I'd put racist truck above that one.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
Yeah I think with Abaddon, the demons were on her side but they weren't going to do her dirty work so she had to face the Winchesters on her own. She was powerful compared to Dean who has some major mojo going on, but his bloodlust overcame her. Ultimately she underestimated the Winchesters like most egomaniac monsters on the show do. I think that is why Crowley works so well, he knows who he is dealing with and treats them differently.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Voted Worst Mom posted:

So can Abaddon not use her psychic wind powers to just throw the blade out of the window? Also, after watching this show for 9 seasons, I cannot figure why these people find it so difficult to calmly explain a situation so it doesn't backfire on them in stupid ways. Oh well, here's to Dean gutting Sam next episode or so.

Where is the bungee cord?

Oh nice: "Good news, #SPNFamily! Cas a.k.a. @mishacollins will return as a series regular for the 10th season of #Supernatural!"

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 10, 2014

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

FowlTheOwl posted:

Yeah I think with Abaddon, the demons were on her side but they weren't going to do her dirty work so she had to face the Winchesters on her own. She was powerful compared to Dean who has some major mojo going on, but his bloodlust overcame her. Ultimately she underestimated the Winchesters like most egomaniac monsters on the show do. I think that is why Crowley works so well, he knows who he is dealing with and treats them differently.

Well duh; Crowley read all the books.

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Writer Cath posted:

Well duh; Crowley read all the books.

Exactly, he is the ultimate fan. Probably makes Squirrel/Moose fanfic for his blog.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crowley is simply better at resource management than most of the monsters. He recognises that the Winchesters are both dangerous and useful. He doesn't trust them, but he will cooperate with them if it serves his interests. Likewise, he doesn't really trust his demons but he does find what they are good at and put them in useful positions.

Meanwhile Abbadon valued people for their combat ability. She literally had some demons trade up to soldier meatsuits, for a marginal increase in combat effectiveness. Probably she just thought they look cooler that way. A demon in a grandmother suit is still very dangerous, but it doesn't look intimidating. So dumb.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Someone made a live-action Akira trailer. The reason why I'm posting it in this thread becomes clear quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GO-93Nt3c

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

BreakAtmo posted:

Someone made a live-action Akira trailer. The reason why I'm posting it in this thread becomes clear quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GO-93Nt3c

Now you've got me real sad that Osric Chau won't be in a real live action Akira movie.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What an underwhelming episode.

Like the majority of the season was building up to it and Abaddon's whole plan is basically like "yo come up and try to stab me bitches", and they basically go up and stab her.

I mean, poo poo, they didn't even bat an eye at her ability to travel through loving time.

The show is getting really stale and meandering now and it's clear there's no bigger picture plan in place. Plot elements get introduced and the checked off with little or no repercussions, all in an effort to return to the brooding brothers status quo. Heck, the leviathans, the alphas, Sam missing his soul, limbo, closing the gates of hell, the tablets, it's all just amounted to nothing, it's not changed the bigger picture at all.

The only thing that's really changed is that now there are angels kicking about on earth, but it's not like they're doing anything. They're stabbing each-other for some reason while Metatron cackles "i know the ending" when it's becoming more and more obvious that the writers actually don't.

What this show needs now is to ignore execs trying to stretch it out forever, pen a definitive multi season arc that wraps up everything, and just end the show. Have them send the angels back to heaven and close the gates of hell, have them kill off all of the alphas, whatever, just stop introducing inconsequential things that don't lead us in that direction.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kin posted:

What this show needs now is to ignore execs trying to stretch it out forever, pen a definitive multi season arc that wraps up everything, and just end the show. Have them send the angels back to heaven and close the gates of hell, have them kill off all of the alphas, whatever, just stop introducing inconsequential things that don't lead us in that direction.

My understanding is that next season is supposed to be the last one. So, you may get that wish.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Xealot posted:

My understanding is that next season is supposed to be the last one. So, you may get that wish.

They're going to have to do a lot to wrap up the show in a good way in just one season, unless Crowley does them a favour in the next episode and completes the transition to human all by himself through addiction (technically completing the final trial and closing the gates of hell). That would just leave the Angels to contend with in whatever deus ex machina they decide to use and also the Cain stuff.

With how much of a non-threat the demons have been and how pointless Abaddon was, they should have just closed off the gates of hell at the end of last season, and dealt only with the Angels this season. It's like the only reason they didn't do that was because they thought it would be good to have a few out of character buddy episodes with Crowley.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm baffled by how unconcerned they are about the rest of the leviathans. They killed the leader, collapsing the organization and plan to farm humans. Great. But there are still a bunch of really really hard to kill things out there presumably eating people.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought crowleys army mopped up most of them after Dick's death. As for the rest, they're tough but hit em with some bleach and they'll go down.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I feel like they also made a point to say that without Dick Roman they were disorganized and became reduced to just a harder to kill monster like any other.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
The final season rumor happens every time it gets renewed now, but nobody official has said anything about it, and all the CW president says is that he loves the show and is open to it staying on for as long as ratings hold up and the cast and crew wants to keep making it. If 10 really is the final one, I just wish Edlund and Kripke would come back and wrap it all up, now that Revolution is cancelled. There are also rumors that Jensen was offered the role of Hawkeye in the Avengers movies or that Marvel or DC want him for other movies. So he could have something else in the works, and he probably has a better chance at a bigger career than Jared does, honestly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea their film careers are not exactly stellar. House of Wax and Friday the 13th, and a 3d movie remake about a valentine's day psycho miner and some weird online sex club game thing.

That being said, they are both great actors, Jared really shines when he's allowed to NOT be Sam in the show.

I feel kinda bad we aren't going to see Cain around much anymore, because apparently he's in a new ABC musical, and he was one of the cooler "bad" guys we've seen on the show. However, watching him prance around and basically act 100% anti-cain is enough to make me wanna watch the new show. Even if it is a musical.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ed Zeddmore posted:

The final season rumor happens every time it gets renewed now, but nobody official has said anything about it, and all the CW president says is that he loves the show and is open to it staying on for as long as ratings hold up and the cast and crew wants to keep making it. If 10 really is the final one, I just wish Edlund and Kripke would come back and wrap it all up, now that Revolution is cancelled. There are also rumors that Jensen was offered the role of Hawkeye in the Avengers movies or that Marvel or DC want him for other movies. So he could have something else in the works, and he probably has a better chance at a bigger career than Jared does, honestly.

drat he would have made a great Hawkguy. Just him, his dog, Kate, and his pot of coffee.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Confederate ice cream shop....I can dig it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
When did Tessa become an angel? I thought she was a reaper?

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

Hahaha ahhhh,

Asstiel :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VaultAggie posted:

When did Tessa become an angel? I thought she was a reaper?

Presumably reapers are Angels of Death, ie they're like regular angels but they report to Death.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Don't make Helo mad!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Metatron is just annoying as poo poo at this point. I do really want him to be killed so I guess he's a good villain in that sense.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Goddamnit Dean.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

der juicen posted:

Goddamnit Dean.

:stare: Holy poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Next episode is the finale so I guess that preview showing Sam dead in a ditch might actually be accurate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Metatron trying on a Castiel style coat and the entire exchange between him and Helo was hilarious. I love that the most human of all the angels is getting pissed off that Castiel, who's understanding of humanity has come a long ways but still isn't quite there, is somehow turning into a natural leader.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I love Dean and support this current bloodlust

I believe all problems in Supernatural can be solved with a sharp knife through, and monster racism being sensible. In fact, I find it abnormal that Dean was not this angry before, like every other hunter.

It does suck that he apparently lost his soul through.

Femur fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 14, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

computer parts posted:

Presumably reapers are Angels of Death, ie they're like regular angels but they report to Death.

Which makes me wonder how her boss felt about her reporting to Castiel...

Too bad about her. Another recurring character (and one of the few to humanize Dean) bites the dust. This season is hell on recurring characters.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Astroman posted:

Which makes me wonder how her boss felt about her reporting to Castiel...

Too bad about her. Another recurring character (and one of the few to humanize Dean) bites the dust. This season is hell on recurring characters.

Hey now, Gabriel's out there...right? :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hey guys, time for them to try another spinoff!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supernatural-spinoff-cw-704360

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hey guys, give Castiel and Crowley their own show. OK? There, spin-off.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
"She's single, hungry and looking for love in the big city. But what face will attract the right guy? Find out Thursdays this fall on CW with "My Ghoul".

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

hope and vaseline posted:

Hey guys, give Castiel and Crowley their own show. OK? There, spin-off.

A Supernatural Odd Couple remake would be pretty awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teek posted:

"She's single, hungry and looking for love in the big city. But what face will attract the right guy? Find out Thursdays this fall on CW with "My Ghoul".

So Izombie?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Does the character in iZombie change appearance every time she eats someone? That's the hook for my show. No need to pay a lead, just a constant stream of guest stars.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The Charlie of Oz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

I can't wait for Dean to slice Metatron up with the first blade

• Locked thread