Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I'm pretty mediocre at math, I can do enough to get by in easy things like statistics and program budgeting but for some reason I find math in general boring and frustrating in equal measure. I am continually mystified by people that are good at it or otherwise enjoy it. It is fantastic those people exist but I don't think it is for everyone or even most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So in Nebraska news, Ben Sasse is the Republican candidate for Senate. He'll be running against David Domina.

Domina is a major player in the fight against Keystone XL in Nebraska, and I hope to god he pulls off the miracle and wins.

EDIT: Republican Governor is a cloooose race so far between Pete Ricketts and Jon Bruning for the right to succeed noted terrible person David Heineman.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hey I only have to serve as a buffer between the engineers and the customers part of the time when I'm not holding the plotter together with bailing wire and spit.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

slightlyslow posted:

I guess I misunderstood your point then. I view current fortan usage as mostly maintaining legacy code or begrudgingly accepting its speed at matrix multiplication. I don't see why anyone would willingly choose fortan over something more modern. Or do current programs actually advocate learning fortan77?

perl vs python vs ruby is more a mess about which language you find "pure" "good" "whatever"

You'll get forced into it because a PI grew up with it or was forced into it by one that did is my understanding. Programming isn't a core skill so it can get kind of cargo cult.

The dynamic languages are weird because they're all about hardware v. labor / learning cost.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

So in Nebraska news, Ben Sasse is the Republican candidate for Senate. He'll be running against David Domina.

Domina is a major player in the fight against Keystone XL in Nebraska, and I hope to god he pulls off the miracle and wins.

Looking forward to endless hype pieces over the next few weeks on how Sasse is the new Great White Hype every DKos and Nation reader should cower in fear of every time his name is mentioned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ben Sasse is the picture of "let me ask my manager about knocking a grand off the sticker to see if we can't get you into this here Acclaim."

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
So Chris Hedges uploaded this video today about the left and the necessity and character of mass movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf_5LzDZz0

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

FAUXTON posted:

Ben Sasse is the picture of "let me ask my manager about knocking a grand off the sticker to see if we can't get you into this here Acclaim."

More of a RadioShack type, I've always thought. Welp.

As of this post, Pete Ricketts is ahead of Jon Bruning by ~200 votes in the gubernatorial primary. Rooting for Ricketts for no other reason than I can't imagine him being in office for more than two months without finding some magnificent way to embarrass himself.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Nebraskans Americans? That's just shameful.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

An Angry Bug posted:

Nebraskans Americans? That's just shameful.
I think he's asking Nebraskans and Americans.

That being said there's no way he isn't clobbered in the general, barring a miracle. This is Nebraska after all, a state that voted against their legendary football coach, the patron saint of Nebraska Tom Osborne, in the Republican gubernatorial primaries in favor of David Heineman because Osborne wasn't conservative enough.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I feel like I am not understanding the cultural dynamics in deep red states, having never lived in one. What kind of satisfaction are people there deriving from extremely conservative policies?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

What kind of satisfaction are people there deriving from extremely conservative policies?

I feel like this is one of those times where someone trots out that Lee Atwater quote, but that's what it boils down to as far as I can tell.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

On Terra Firma posted:

I feel like this is one of those times where someone trots out that Lee Atwater quote, but that's what it boils down to as far as I can tell.

Nope, several conservative states are white as snow so racial logic doesn't work on them.

Mostly it's "this is the way things have been, so let them continue" ad infinitum.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah in a lot of those places people easily go decades without seeing a black guy except on TV.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

Nope, several conservative states are white as snow so racial logic doesn't work on them.

Mostly it's "this is the way things have been, so let them continue" ad infinitum.

FYGM

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I feel like I am not understanding the cultural dynamics in deep red states, having never lived in one. What kind of satisfaction are people there deriving from extremely conservative policies?

The exact same kind of satisfaction a young psychopath derives from abusing animals.

e: In case anyone was wondering about that unstable retired-military looking guy, that's Shane Osborn. His yard signs feature the USAF roundel. Which in his case is, well, a bit like loving around in a spy plane near Chinese airspace "guarding the autopilot," crashing said spy plane into a Chinese jet, causing one of the Bush admin's first diplomatic escapades to be known as "the letter of two sorries," and then thinking it's totally cool to advertise your Air Force cred.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 14, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Knowing the right people as far as they're concerned are in charge.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Have you ever seen someone (darker than you) cry or get hurt or receive some kind of comeuppance for their 'transgressions'? Have these experiences left you somewhat aroused? If yes, then welcome to the republican party!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eh, more or less. They're not states that are important, they probably won't ever be important, and no one really pays them much mind unless they want natural resources or natural parks.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

VitalSigns posted:

The real world is analog, and at the end of the day you have to design things that work in the real world.

A CAD program is only as good as your model of reality. It's not going to give you the right answers if you don't know what questions to ask. You can't just render every little detail of say a radio transmitter and push the "simulate physics" button because simulating the real universe to arbitrary granularity is computationally impractical. And there's no substitute for the creative aspect of design and the understanding of concepts required, unless we're talking about honest-to-goodness AI that would every area of creative human endeavor redundant as well.

It replaces some gruntwork and some draftwork. It saves building and test time, it can alert you to issues if you've overlooked something that the programmers have modelled. And sure, that can hurt engineering employment if the prductivity gains from that are hoovered up by the capitalist class (as they are these days). But saying SPICE can replace electrical engineers is exactly as asinine as saying we can get rid of lawyers because "it's just following a decision tree, I can program a better lawyer" would be.

Most of the criticisms I see in DnD about the arrogrance, insularity, and naïveté of people in my field are spot-on, but hot drat that post.

(Edit: and this isn't some "oh my holy engineering is as the gods" post. Overdepending on simulations without understanding the basic concepts behind it is the rookiest of rookie engineer mistakes. If you don't have some idea what the answer should be before you use a computer, you can't know when the computer is spitting out something insanely wrong.)

Just wanted to echo this post, as an engineer whose graduate studies dealt largely with computer models.

VitalSigns hit it on the nose, both about the role of modeling and STEM chauvinism, and gently caress capitalism.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mooyashi posted:

Also the name is similar enough to WhiskeyJuvenile, who, iirc, is a lawyer

also jewish, strangely enough

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

So Chris Hedges uploaded this video today about the left and the necessity and character of mass movements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf_5LzDZz0
This is worth watching. Yeah, it's another video of an hour-long talk, but at least check out the first 10-20 minutes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mitsuo posted:

Just wanted to echo this post, as an engineer whose graduate studies dealt largely with computer models.

Oh God why. I took a computational EM class for my master's where we had to write our own EM solvers in MATLAB and I wanted to kill myself.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'll try to get around to watching it tomorrow. Hedges is great at keeping it real. If anyone missed his speech from March where he talks about the court case Hedges v. Obama as well as the nature and history of the surveillance state I would highly recommend it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeDYrKnLDi8

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

What kind of satisfaction are people there deriving from extremely conservative policies?

In my experience, it's culture. Emphasis on two things: assimilation to group norms as a mode of gaining/holding acceptance/standing (like playing football as a mode of gaining social acceptance in high school, graduating and drinking beers over the Sunday game to keep up the affiliations), and defending/asserting them at the group level protects their 'investment' and services social obligations.

Also, I pulled this from a study on conservatism I read like 5 years ago but have forgotten. Iirc, the gist of it was, "Interpreting it as motivated reasoning works":

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: Republican Governor is a cloooose race so far between Pete Ricketts and Jon Bruning for the right to succeed noted terrible person David Heineman.

Spoilers, it's Nebraska so the miracle never happen.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember back when Angus King ran for governor back in '94, my uncle brought me a bumper sticker from his campaign that he cut the 'g' out of his first name so it read Anus King for governor and it was great and I wish I still had it because it's funny that he's still relevant.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

effectual posted:

I'm curious, why would you accept this job that you know is dumb bullshit? Just that desperate for a wage? Dunno your salary, but you can find secular english teaching in China pretty easily, though the pay isn't great.

Christ this thread moves fast.

Basically, pay is better than the secular entry level jobs available to me with the ink still dripping off my TESL, and the rest of the community helps me pursue my performance stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

You can't just render every little detail of say a radio transmitter and push the "simulate physics" button because simulating the real universe to arbitrary granularity is computationally impractical.

That's why I used the word "eventually." Much like how a physicist becomes a programmer in order to properly test his hypothesis against experiment data, an architect or designer will close that engineer gap by learning to properly identify and apply the needed real-world inputs (with the help of things like climate, weather, geological, and seismic data) for known-quantity materials like steel or concrete or glass in order to generate figures on tolerances as a design is constructed virtually.

I'd be the last person to hang my hat on the specter of reductionism but computers are really good at crunching numbers quickly and accurately.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I just wanted to offer this up with respect to math education in America, it's pretty great, read it if you care about math education and haven't read it Lockhart's Lament (pdf).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Machine posted:

I just wanted to offer this up with respect to math education in America, it's pretty great, read it if you care about math education and haven't read it Lockhart's Lament (pdf).
This is interesting for me to read, because in my SCIENCE classes, they did indeed talk about the process of discovery first and the results second (to some extent or another). But in math class we were only ever exposed to the outcomes of thousands of years of research, like that was the only thing there ever was.

edit: programming too. My teacher never went into the creative element of programming, just, this is how you make these data structures and so on. I got bored and quit.

edit: and Japanese too, to be honest. But thankfully I studied linguistics after that and found out that language is indeed a constantly changing, creative enterprise. That's what I want to pass on to my students.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 14, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I'd be the last person to hang my hat on the specter of reductionism but computers are really good at crunching numbers quickly and accurately.

Oh computers absolutely are great at that, you are absolutely right. But that's not the problem engineers solve or have ever solved. Computers are also great at drawing perfect shapes and straight lines but they're not going to take over graphic design without a paradigm shift.

Engineering design is about knowing what problem needs to be solved to get to the point that you can plug numbers into an equation and stick it into a computer and get an answer that's accurate enough to be useful in a shorter time than the heat death of the universe. Engineers used to have assistants to use side-rules or tables to look up solutions to logarithms and Bessel functions etc. That's what computers can and do replace, the number-crunching gruntwork. Being a good number-cruncher is necessary as an engineer, but it's nowhere close to the most important thing.

FAUXTON posted:

That's why I used the word "eventually." Much like how a physicist becomes a programmer in order to properly test his hypothesis against experiment data, an architect or designer will close that engineer gap by learning to properly identify and apply the needed real-world inputs (with the help of things like climate, weather, geological, and seismic data) for known-quantity materials like steel or concrete or glass in order to generate figures on tolerances as a design is constructed virtually.

There's not much to say to this except that you are drastically underestimating the cost, time, and difficulty of brute-force modelling the real world. Scaling size or detail in 3-dimensional models geometrically scales the computational resources required. Unless you know how and where to simplify (and how to spot an error if your model is underdetailed), then it's going to be cheaper and faster to do an analog simulation (ie, just build it and see if it works). You can't just fine-mesh your entire design and hit "numerically solve physics", at least not if you want an answer before the sun goes out. Every situation is different; a computer that can design a bridge from scratch for a specific location with nothing but geological surveys and materials data is a computer that can argue specific cases before the Supreme Court.

And, anyway you're starting with the work almost done. Yeah, sure once I've selected an amplifier technology or a bridge design I can put it into the computer and get super accurate simulations as detailed as I want to wait for. The human already did the engineering part: surveying the problem, making trade-offs, selecting a design (or a few alternatives), and deciding which aspects of it need finely detailed modeling to be accurate and can use macroscale models.

If you want to fantasize about smug STEM degrees getting ground into poverty, it's not the AI revolution that's going to do it. What's going to gently caress over engineers is what's going to gently caress over all of us: the concentration of wealth and power into fewer and fewer hands, a demand crisis as the poor can't afford slick new consumer goods, and the resulting unempoyment giving owners the bargaining power to push our white-collar wages lower and lower. And if neoliberalism continues to win out, then that will happen and you will be 100% entitled in my book to smug it up to the Libertarian engineers who voted for those policies because as Randian Supermen they thought poverty is something that only happens to stupid lazy people.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 14, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

Oh computers absolutely are great at that, you are absolutely right. But that's not the problem engineers solve or have ever solved. Computers are also great at drawing perfect shapes and straight lines but they're not going to take over graphic design without a paradigm shift.

Engineering design is about knowing what problem needs to be solved to get to the point that you can plug numbers into an equation and stick it into a computer and get an answer that's accurate enough to be useful in a shorter time than the heat death of the universe. Engineers used to have assistants to use side-rules or tables to look up solutions to logarithms and Bessel functions etc. That's what computers can and do replace, the number-crunching gruntwork. Being a good number-cruncher is necessary as an engineer, but it's nowhere close to the most important thing.

There's not much to say to this except that you are drastically underestimating the cost, time, and difficulty of brute-force modelling the real world. Scaling size or detail in 3-dimensional models geometrically scales the computational resources required. Unless you know how and where to simplify (and how to spot an error if your model is underdetailed), then it's going to be cheaper and faster to do an analog simulation (ie, just build it and see if it works). You can't just fine-mesh your entire design and hit "numerically solve physics".

And, anyway you're starting with the work almost done. Yeah, sure once I've selected an amplifier technology or a bridge design I can put it into the computer and get super accurate simulations as detailed as I want to wait for. The human already did the engineering part: surveying the problem, making trade-offs, selecting a design (or a few alternatives), and deciding which aspects of it need finely detailed modeling to be accurate and can use macroscale models.

If you want to fantasize about smug STEM degrees getting ground into poverty, it's not the AI revolution that's going to do it. What's going to gently caress over engineers is what's going to gently caress over all of us: the concentration of wealth and power into fewer and fewer hands, a demand crisis as the poor can't afford slick new consumer goods, and the resulting unempoyment giving owners the bargaining power to push our white-collar wages lower and lower. And if neoliberalism continues to win out, then that will happen and you will be 100% entitled in my book to smug it up to the Libertarian engineers who voted for those policies because as Randian Supermen they thought poverty is something that only happens to stupid lazy people.

You're responding with "yeah, well it's a LOT of math." STEM is likely going to be a flooded market by the time computers can grasp the level of complexity needed to design a suspension bridge that won't flop around like an epileptic terrier. However, the whole point of my argument is that we are approaching a point where gathering the raw data is a non-issue, where science provides plug-and-play models for all sorts of poo poo, and where commercially available computing power is making "brute force" less of a hurdle than it was in the past. At some point the computer is going to be able to make recommendations on design efficiency and tell the architect where to sink pilings or what gauge of wire to run. At some point it is going to be able to evaluate the needs of a design and spit out one or several solutions. Interpretation of data is not some kind of wizardry, it's a challenge for a user interface designer.

Chances are you'll see 'STEM degree' become the new 'law school' punchline for short-sighted choices well before computers start giving aesthetics advice so in the end you'll be right before I am :v:

Politics: Bruning has conceded to Rickets in the NE-Gov race so hooray six months of "lol im bald isnt that crazy" ads from him.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah in a lot of those places people easily go decades without seeing a black guy except on TV.

I always said there was no racism in my state because there were no people of color. As you can imagine, I offended a lot of other white people with that statement. I'll never forget when my family moved to a really small town and there was a mixed race family. I made friends with one of their kids, and my mom about passed out when she opened the door after I invited him over for dinner.

Later, she told me that I should have told her that my new friend was 'black'. I was in 5th grade. I'll never forget that, because it was when I realized how hosed up everything really was.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

FAUXTON posted:

You're responding with "yeah, well it's a LOT of math." STEM is likely going to be a flooded market by the time computers can grasp the level of complexity needed to design a suspension bridge that won't flop around like an epileptic terrier. However, the whole point of my argument is that we are approaching a point where gathering the raw data is a non-issue, where science provides plug-and-play models for all sorts of poo poo, and where commercially available computing power is making "brute force" less of a hurdle than it was in the past. At some point the computer is going to be able to make recommendations on design efficiency and tell the architect where to sink pilings or what gauge of wire to run. At some point it is going to be able to evaluate the needs of a design and spit out one or several solutions. Interpretation of data is not some kind of wizardry, it's a challenge for a user interface designer.

Chances are you'll see 'STEM degree' become the new 'law school' punchline for short-sighted choices well before computers start giving aesthetics advice so in the end you'll be right before I am :v:

Politics: Bruning has conceded to Rickets in the NE-Gov race so hooray six months of "lol im bald isnt that crazy" ads from him.

Fortunately design optimization, especially anything ANSYS wise, uses poo poo software.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

computer parts posted:

Install Windows posted:

I can see why you'd think that, but you don't actually need for minorities to be around in order to otherize the gently caress out of them. Actually, it helps a ton when your only working examples come from mainstream media and your own racist family members.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not responding "but it's so much math", but I'm going to drop the derail, because (and not to be mean) you're handwaving away issues that you don't understand. If the person reading the printout just does what the computer says and can't tell whether the computer's figures make sense, things are going to go tits-up in a hurry. Oddly, you sound almost like the young engineer saying psychologists are wasting their time because the brain is just some extra-complicated meat-tronics and it's just a matter of solving the math so leave it to an engineer. :smug:

But anyway, I like your politics and I completely agree with you that engineers tend to have an over-inflated sense of their economic worth and therefore vote against their interests with the most infuriating smug ignorance imaginable. Please don't hate us. Some of us get it :ohdear:

In politics, the Texas Lt Gov primary runoff is coming up. I'm actually going to vote in a Republican primary, because the GOPe incumbent is trailing crazy racist rear end in a top hat Dan Patrick. Enjoy this clip of December's Lt Governor debate, where the least radical opinion is to add creationism to textbooks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnB5CVeza8

Yeah, the second guy there with the punchable face whining about why isn't elementary school like Sunday School is the guy who won the plurality in the primary. I did not think I would say this but: I am casting a vote for David loving Dewhurst :suicide:

VVVVVV
You could always move to Austin! Most of the engineers I work with are either liberal or apathetic about politics. We have the occasional :airquote:totally-not-Republican:airquote: Libertarian who thinks gays are immoral and the government should protect the rights of the embryo...but by and large you don't have to deal with that poo poo. Any kind of racism, even dog-whistles, is a quick way to make everyone think you're an rear end in a top hat and hold back your career.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 14, 2014

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

VitalSigns posted:

But anyway, I like your politics and I completely agree with you that engineers tend to have an over-inflated sense of their economic worth and therefore vote against their interests with the most infuriating smug ignorance imaginable. Please don't hate us. Some of us get it :ohdear:

I've completely given up talking to fellow software developers. I've literally heard a CTO say to a developer who mentioned reading atlas shrugged that being well read with ayn rand will earn you a bigger possibility for promotion.

When Herman Cain had his 999 plan going around my coworkers and my boss all thought it sounded like a loving great A+ plan. They love flat taxes, companies that incorporate in "tax havens" that they have no presence in, and of course squarely blame democrats socialists and the poor for the national debt & deficit (which they insist is spiraling out of control), the GFC, basically anything remotely negative to do with money. Also the problems with the euro were caused by the entire continent being a society of moochers with a lazy work ethic, and you can see why it's so bad over there by the relative lack of billionaires they have. All the John Galts keep leaving, you see.

gently caress sorry for the venting. Software may be a career path that will see me to retirement, but I may also intentionally inflict permanent deafness on myself before I turn 40.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 14, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FAUXTON posted:

The exact same kind of satisfaction a young psychopath derives from abusing animals.

e: In case anyone was wondering about that unstable retired-military looking guy, that's Shane Osborn. His yard signs feature the USAF roundel. Which in his case is, well, a bit like loving around in a spy plane near Chinese airspace "guarding the autopilot," crashing said spy plane into a Chinese jet, causing one of the Bush admin's first diplomatic escapades to be known as "the letter of two sorries," and then thinking it's totally cool to advertise your Air Force cred.

You're not allowed to do that are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Holy poo poo, the Dan Patrick Ad.

Not education and health care!! :supaburn: I want a man who will keep immigrants uneducated, sick, and dependent on emergency rooms. (Just kidding, Dan Patrick's real position is that all Mexicans should be shot!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRkBRd8ePTw
The video is great. Reagan cameo, attacking Dewhurst's wealth (my favorite Republican tactic. Democrats hate the rich, class warfare! Also, my opponent is rich and therefore untrustworthy!)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 14, 2014

• Locked thread