Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Probably something out of the Monstromicon that only Seacat remembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PP's fluff is kinda bad and somewhat inconsistent like most miniature game fluff.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hipster Occultist posted:

PP's fluff is kinda bad and somewhat inconsistent like most miniature game fluff.

It's just good enough to start fights over :v:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Troll technology only works because they think it will. Discuss.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Troll technology only works because they think it will. Discuss.

Are you people doing this to me on purpose now?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Hipster Occultist posted:

I don't really agree but perhaps I'm weighing it against what I've read for 40k or Fantasy. It isn't high literature but it progresses and you really see the force of personality that the various characters are.

Also play Skorne because titans are awesome and Makeda will rule Immoren

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

You make it so easy man, we just can't help it. :v:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

muggins posted:

I don't really agree but perhaps I'm weighing it against what I've read for 40k or Fantasy. It isn't high literature but it progresses and you really see the force of personality that the various characters are.

Also play Skorne because titans are awesome and Makeda will rule Immoren

Only if mammoths happen to fall out of the sky onto her enemies every time she makes a stupid strategic decision that costs her 1/4 of her army to make 0 progress.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

S.J. posted:

The Iosans are gathering the souls bodies of their dead in the Fane in the hopes of solving their reincarnation problem and creating a new god from the souls of the old gods binding the spirit of their old god to the flesh of the young king bringing their old gods back.

Edit: for the record, I generally like Iron Kingdoms fluff, although I wouldn't rate it above, say, Warcraft fluff or L5R fluff or Eberron fluff, and none of those are exactly As I Lay Dying.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 14, 2014

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

muggins posted:

This is the yardstick I use for war game fluff and Cryx haven't had their backstory changed 4 times nor has the world randomly changed its fluff to suit the sales deparment, so I think they're doing pretty well.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I don't love the fluff the way some people do I guess - the quality of the writing is ok and probably as good as one might reasonably expect from background fiction for a miniatures game - I feel like the whole thing is somewhat hamstrung by the balancing act the writer(s) have to do though. Every faction is someone's favorite faction and probably every character is someone's fave as well, so they have to write this story about a conflict without any of the sides really getting their poo poo kicked in and without any of the main players getting taken permanently off the board.

Like when Kaya got gutted in Wrath (I think it was) you knew she wasn't actually going to die because she's one of the foundations of the faction. Did anyone seriously think Borka was dead after the fight with Kromac? I don't envy trying to write a story that progresses along (which is evidently what they want to do) but also requires leaving the status quo of roughly evenly matched opposing forces and main characters intact, and it may be that they've done it as well as is possible, but it isn't the most satisfying thing to read. For me, anyway.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I enjoy the fiction, it's entertaining and a good read while on the john. I know my PG was really into it until the end of Gargantuans with the Mammoth incident and the resolution to Borkas fight. Those apparently turned him off the fiction for a bit. Then again he is the type that bitches endlessly about the kickass new models that Cryx gets so you know......

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I have a rules question I can't seem to find in the book. The other day I played a game and someone told me you have to spend a fury on a warbeast if your ROF is more than one. For example, I was using a Troll Dire Bomber with a ROF2. He said beyond the first shot, you have to spend fury for the second shot, and since he had played Trolls before and Im still new, I took his word for it. However, I can't find anything in the M2 book regarding this, it just states you can't shoot over the number next to ROF. So which is it?

Second oddball strategy question. Someone told me awhile back about being able to force gun jam a friendly model with a ranged weapon. Apparently it is something you can do to prevent mind controlling spells from grabbing your dudes and shooting your own army. Questions is, how do you go about doing that?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Khorne Flakes posted:

I have a rules question I can't seem to find in the book. The other day I played a game and someone told me you have to spend a fury on a warbeast if your ROF is more than one. For example, I was using a Troll Dire Bomber with a ROF2. He said beyond the first shot, you have to spend fury for the second shot, and since he had played Trolls before and Im still new, I took his word for it. However, I can't find anything in the M2 book regarding this, it just states you can't shoot over the number next to ROF. So which is it?

Second oddball strategy question. Someone told me awhile back about being able to force gun jam a friendly model with a ranged weapon. Apparently it is something you can do to prevent mind controlling spells from grabbing your dudes and shooting your own army. Questions is, how do you go about doing that?

For the first part, he is correct. Lacking any special rule to the contrary(strafe, multishot, etc), you get one "initial" shot with your ranged weapon(s), and can then buy additional ranged attacks up to your ROF. So something with a single gun that is ROF2 gets a single initial ranged attack and then could be forced to buy a second shot.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

evenworse username posted:

I don't love the fluff the way some people do I guess - the quality of the writing is ok and probably as good as one might reasonably expect from background fiction for a miniatures game - I feel like the whole thing is somewhat hamstrung by the balancing act the writer(s) have to do though. Every faction is someone's favorite faction and probably every character is someone's fave as well, so they have to write this story about a conflict without any of the sides really getting their poo poo kicked in and without any of the main players getting taken permanently off the board.

Like when Kaya got gutted in Wrath (I think it was) you knew she wasn't actually going to die because she's one of the foundations of the faction. Did anyone seriously think Borka was dead after the fight with Kromac? I don't envy trying to write a story that progresses along (which is evidently what they want to do) but also requires leaving the status quo of roughly evenly matched opposing forces and main characters intact, and it may be that they've done it as well as is possible, but it isn't the most satisfying thing to read. For me, anyway.

There's definitely truth to this. It's hard to get too worried when a big character all but dies. At the same time though, I'm genuinely interested in how/if Haley will ever get her warcaster power back. She's been off the front lines for two books now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Mt. ORourke posted:

There's definitely truth to this. It's hard to get too worried when a big character all but dies. At the same time though, I'm genuinely interested in how/if Haley will ever get her warcaster power back. She's been off the front lines for two books now.

Yes, and I guess Karchev has been getting the spa treatment from Cryx for a while I guess.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I really hope they outright kill a character soon, just to keep us on our toes.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I've found the stories in the various expansion books or some of the skull island expedition stuff to be bearable for the most part. They get really awful whenever they try to write some of the actual game mechanics into it, feats being the biggest offenders, but aside from that I would consider them to be inoffensive. The character bloat that comes from refusing to kill some of these people off while constantly putting them in supposedly life threatening situations doesn't really do them any favours either, but I can sort of understand why they want to keep their options open in regards to game design or why they wouldn't want to kill off some of the characters dear to the playerbase.

Aside from that, I don't really mind silly fantasy dino-elephants getting shoved down hills and exploding on some silly walls due to the writers wanting to move the story in a certain direction.

Khorne Flakes posted:

I don't have the Hordes book, but it should be in the Gameplay section where it explains Combat Actions.
Here's the relevant rule as it is written in the Warmachine rulebook for comparison:

A model can make one normal ranged attack with each of its ranged weapons. These attacks are called initial ranged attacks. (...) Each ranged weapon makes only one initial attack regardless of its ROF.

The rules for warbeasts/warjacks having to force or casters having to spend fury/focus for additional attacks up to their ROF handle the rest of the issue.

Khorne Flakes posted:

I'm not entirely sure whether they might have meant something else as nothing really comes to mind, but usually when people talk about jamming in Warmahordes they talk about jamming a bunch of models into other models to prevent those from shooting. Jamming as in tieing them up in melee rather than making a gun jam.

Taking control of a warbeast isn't a very common effect though. There's the spell Rampager which allows the enemy to make a full advance and a normal attack, but whether you can successfully jam your own beast and whether it's actually worth it is a different question, given that your enemy won't mind allowing you to take a couple free strikes against your own warbeast.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 14, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Saalkin posted:

As long as it's a Cryx caster who can't be brought back, I'm all for it.

Or a Protectorate caster brought back by Cryx :getin:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Saalkin posted:

I vote Deneghra

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It should be Severius or Nemo and they die anticlimactically of old age.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It should be Madrak, I mean the guy is doomed. It's in his name and his fluff. Slowest guillotine in Caen over that fuckin' guy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Saalkin posted:

It should be Severius or Nemo and they die anticlimactically of old age.

At this rate Nemo will just say gently caress it and become a Cyriss caster with his dying breath.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Screw it, if you are gonna kill someone off, have Naaresh kill off eHaley and change Naaresh's feat from Impenetrable Flesh to Pain is Love: Naaresh gains one fury for every whiny post about eHaley's death on Privateer Press forums.

:getin:

waah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 14, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

waah posted:

Screw it, if you are gonna kill someone off, have Naaresh kill off eHaley or and change Naaresh's feat from Impenetrable Flesh to Pain is Love: Naaresh gains one fury for every whiny post about eHaley's death on Privateer Press forums.

Good thing I'm already planning on starting Skorne!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

waah posted:

Screw it, if you are gonna kill someone off, have Naaresh kill off eHaley and change Naaresh's feat from Impenetrable Flesh to Pain is Love: Naaresh gains one fury for every whiny post about eHaley's death on Privateer Press forums.

Let's really stoke the furnace and let one of the universally considered worst casters do it. Dr. Arkadius kills eHaley in 2015!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can arm lock, a power attack, a friendly model to prevent them from being pushed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

S.J. posted:

Good thing I'm already planning on starting Skorne!

Goood, goood. *cackles*

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Kill off someone entirely unimportant. RIP Amon.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

RIP grannygrabber, head crushed by massive pectoral muscles.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Kill off someone entirely unimportant.

Any Cygnar caster who isn't Stryker, Caine, or Haley?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Ice cold.

I guess the only reason you wouldn't want one of your top 5 casters or locks to die is the potential for an interesting take in Epic form. I mean, Zerkova's not great, but Zerkova2 could be interesting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Whatever man Nemo loving owns :colbert:

And as doofy as I think Darius is, I'd love to see an Epic version of him some day.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Whoever we get rid of let's also get rid of Zerkova

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

So we kill Captain Jeremiah Kraye?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kill Kraye, let Cryx get hold of him, and have Kraye2 be a soulhunter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

parabolic posted:

Ice cold.

I guess the only reason you wouldn't want one of your top 5 casters or locks to die is the potential for an interesting take in Epic form. I mean, Zerkova's not great, but Zerkova2 could be interesting.

This has a spotty historical track record. It's really hard to say if epic Deneghra is better than alive Deneghra, but Sturgis gets significantly worse as a zombie. Can't think of any other epic variants off the top of my head that literally died instead of just powering up or finding a horse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So, with 40k...being 40k, I'm looking harder at WarmaHordes. Except I have a problem.

In my reserch, I've narrowed it down to Khador, Cephalyx or Blindwater. So my dilemma is now:

1. Wait until August for Cephalyx
2. Wait until August for plastic Gatormen for Blindwater
3. Start Khador ASAP.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So, with 40k...being 40k, I'm looking harder at WarmaHordes. Except I have a problem.

In my reserch, I've narrowed it down to Khador, Cephalyx or Blindwater. So my dilemma is now:

3. Start Khador ASAP.

If those are your options, play Khador. The other two are not great places to start with this game if you're just getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

3. Start Khador ASAP.

Yeah, when I first started I wanted to play exclusively gators, I am glad the other posters recommended another faction and then gators. I still get to use the gators I buy and I get to play a faction that has many more options than the minions list so that I am not frustrated by my opponent knowing the very few things I can do.

So this way once I decide I want to get in on a sweet sweet gator only army, I will know just enough lose because of my incompetence and/or able to field a decent 25/35 point army.

Edit: since you played. 40k you can basically use gators or pigs as allies if you go hordes side. If you go khador you have to use mercs so you get robots. Really at this point the question you need to answer is "Do I want giant robots or giant monsters?"

• Locked thread