Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So, with 40k...being 40k, I'm looking harder at WarmaHordes. Except I have a problem.

In my reserch, I've narrowed it down to Khador, Cephalyx or Blindwater. So my dilemma is now:

1. Wait until August for Cephalyx
2. Wait until August for plastic Gatormen for Blindwater
3. Start Khador ASAP.

Khador also does very few things, but the things we do include "hitting really hard with cheap units" and "having some of the best solos in the game".

Once you start using Signs & Portents you won't want to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mp5 posted:

Khador also does very few things, but the things we do include "hitting really hard with cheap units" and "having some of the best solos in the game".

Once you start using Signs & Portents you won't want to go back.

Hitting really hard with cheap units sounds just peachy. Also hitting things really hard with giant robots.

Although giant monsters sound pretty cool too, and I've heard that the Hordes system is slightly more forgiving for beginners than WM.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hitting really hard with cheap units sounds just peachy. Also hitting things really hard with giant robots.

Although giant monsters sound pretty cool too, and I've heard that the Hordes system is slightly more forgiving for beginners than WM.

Some people swear fury is more OP than focus. They are wrong. It really comes down to which one fits your playstyle better. Fury in hordes does seem more dynamic sometimes, but it can be very fickle and if you aren't in top of what you plan on doing things spiral out of control very quickly (frenzied beasts can sometimes be awesome and sometimes can cause you to lose in hilarious fashion).

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Speaking of Khador, I love soviet-looking robots and I bought the battlegroup box last week that comes with Sorchsa, a Destroyer, and a Juggernaut.

Where's a good place to go from here, purchase-wise? Are all three models decent together, or should I buy something else entirely?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Buy the kit to upgrade the Destroyer to Black Ivan and start thinking about whether you'd like your first big infantry block to be Winter Guard+Kovnik Joe or Black Dragon Iron Fang Pikemen.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

waah posted:

Some people swear fury is more OP than focus. They are wrong. It really comes down to which one fits your playstyle better. Fury in hordes does seem more dynamic sometimes, but it can be very fickle and if you aren't in top of what you plan on doing things spiral out of control very quickly (frenzied beasts can sometimes be awesome and sometimes can cause you to lose in hilarious fashion).

Or he could just play legion and max out all beasts all the time :smugbert:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Or he could just play legion and max out all beasts all the time :smugbert:

Tell me more :magical:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Legion has the best fury management in the game, with multiple models that can pull fury off of your warbeasts. As a result a Legion army can, and usually does, run a large number of heavy warbeasts that they can use to their full potential, and then use shepherds and forsaken to remove any unwanted fury from your warbeasts.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Also they're loving dragons. Legion is the correct hordes choice

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Legion has the best fury management in the game, with multiple models that can pull fury off of your warbeasts. As a result a Legion army can, and usually does, run a large number of heavy warbeasts that they can use to their full potential, and then use shepherds and forsaken to remove any unwanted fury from your warbeasts.

Exinos posted:

"Fuckin' dragons motherfucker" is a pretty good qualifier for an army, but from what I can tell, they're a total glass cannon, which I'm not really into.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Exinos posted:

Yeah if you want all your friends to hate you.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Speaking of Khador, I love soviet-looking robots and I bought the battlegroup box last week that comes with Sorchsa, a Destroyer, and a Juggernaut.

Where's a good place to go from here, purchase-wise? Are all three models decent together, or should I buy something else entirely?

Khador is awesome, but something that is not immediately apparent is that they are very infantry-focused. Most Khador Warcasters are interested in having one or two warjacks maximum (for various reasons). If you are playing super casual then just do whatever, but if you are wanting to play a bunch of heavy warjacks in a competitive setting, I would look at the Protectorate or Convergence instead.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Alrighty, made a theoretical 15pts of Khador, based on what I've been told are must-haves.

pSorcha (-6)
Juggernaut (7)
Winter Guard Infantry Leader + 9 (6)
Winter Guard Officer & Standard (2)
3 Winter Guard Rocketeers (3)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2)

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

"Fuckin' dragons motherfucker" is a pretty good qualifier for an army, but from what I can tell, they're a total glass cannon, which I'm not really into.

Legion definitely leans to the aggressive side of things rather than defensive, but whether they play as a "glass cannon" totally depends on which warlock and list you are using. Carniveans and Shredders pack two of the best defensive animi in the game, meaning those Legion beast DEF and ARM values you see in the book are rarely a reality. An Angelius with Tenacity is a massive pain in the rear end to remove. Try to treat a Saeryn, Thagrosh1, or Vayl2 opponent as a "glass cannon" and you will be stomped.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Alrighty, made a theoretical 15pts of Khador, based on what I've been told are must-haves.

pSorcha (-6)
Juggernaut (7)

Does this include parts that may be in your faction's battlebox? Unlike where you are coming from the battle boxes are actually a good deal and come with a waterdown set of rules and cards so you don't immediately have to put down cash on the Warmachine MkII rulebook and the faction rulebook.

Put it this way, when I got my Skorne battlebox, I got my warcaster ~$9, two cyclops savages $11-$14 a piece, a Titan Gladiator ~$23, a waterdowned version of the rules and enough info for all of my guys to play that day (if I had the time to sit in the shop and put my models together).

So that's about $55 - $65 depending on where you buy things from for about $40. Don't know about khador, but all of the units in the battlebox, excluding the warcaster, are units that could probably be included 85% of army I build (maybe not the second savage).

In other words the battlebox is really a good deal, and I would recommend going with that before trying to build an army. khador guys, how is your battlebox anyways?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

It's the battlebox minus the destroyer and plus a full winter guard death star. Looks good to me, try to keep your juggernaut behind your blob somewhere so it can punish people for getting greedy and sending in expensive pieces to kill winter guard. Also, if you're facing a beast heavy list where your winter guard sprays are no good, remember you can use combined ranged attack to produce a hugely powerful musket shot in addition to your rocket fire.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I'd look into the Greylords Ternion, as they pack a nice spray as well as clouds to help Sorcha's already ridiculous DEF. They're a handy toolbox, especially for going to 15 point level. Maybe a koldun lord so Sorcha doesn't have to feed the destroyer any focus.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

pSorcha (-6)
Juggernaut (7)

Winter Guard are a really good choice when you're starting out, given that the unit is fairly versatile by Warmachine standards and goes well with just about every Khador warcaster.

If you aren't entirely sure whether you'll end up liking the game, I'd recommend downloading the quick start rules and possibly proxying a bit with a friend or a friendly Warmahordes-player before you're committing to it. The Khador battlebox is a decent enough start, but some players malign that it isn't very representative of how the faction plays in a competitive environment as Khador is focused around infantry a lot more than it is around big stompy robots.

It's still a decent start into the game simply due to the price, but you're not going to get as much use out of the contents of the Khador battlebox in particular as some of the other factions get out of their own. Although none of the battleboxes are perfect in that regard.

If you have some time to kill, a Warmahordes podcast by the name of chain-attack has recently made a halfway decent introduction guide for new players where they briefly go over the different factions and mention some of the mistakes new players might want to avoid.
While you ultimately might want to double check things with this thread (I did and it helped me out a lot), listening to their faction overviews about the factions you are interested in is worth a consideration.
Part 1 (although it only goes into the most basic of basic stuff, so you're not missing much)
Part 2 (Warmachine factions)
Part 3 (Hordes factions)
To save you some time if you don't want to listen to the whole thing: The Khador introduction is at around 33 minutes into part 2 after they make a short disclaimer about buying into the hobby in a smart way.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 15, 2014

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Khador is a good faction. It's having a little bit of trouble at the absolute top tiers of competitive play but that may have more to do with player representation (there is a relatively small stable of "top" players and what wins Masters is often determined by what those players are playing) than the faction itself. Will Pagani actually won a big con recently with Khador so that wind may be changing as well.

Big thing about buying into Khador (that you seem to have a good handle on already, that list is very promising) is that it is absolutely an infantry-based faction. This is actually COOL because the fluff is that Khador has a limited amount of the resources required to make Warjacks, but tons of dudes. So they substitute human waves for giant robots. But don't go into the faction thinking "OH MAN GONNA WRECK FACES WITH ALL MY GIANT ROBOTS!" You won't and you will die and you will be SUPER SAD. Khador is without a doubt the least 'jack friendly faction in the game. Now the new Journeyman Warcasters (Malakov for Khador) help a lot, Colossals as well, so you will be able to get SOME robot action going. But it will never be the core of your strategy.

Other than that, there are some great Khador players in this thread so listen to their advice. I can't actually speak highly enough of this thread, full of great players and great advice. It was super helpful for me when I started out.

Really you should play Skorne though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

If you have some time to kill, a Warmahordes podcast by the name of chain-attack has recently made a halfway decent introduction guide for new players where they briefly go over the different factions and mention some of the mistakes new players might want to avoid.
While you ultimately might want to double check things with this thread (I did and it helped me out a lot), listening to their faction overviews about the factions you are interested in is worth a consideration.
Part 1 (although it only goes into the most basic of basic stuff, so you're not missing much)
Part 2 (Warmachine factions)
Part 3 (Hordes factions)
To save you some time if you don't want to listen to the whole thing: The Khador introduction is at around 33 minutes into part 2 after they make a short disclaimer about buying into the hobby in a smart way.
Sounds like something good to listen to while painting. Thanks a ton!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Allow me to present an argument to play Retribution:

Your standard magic users are angry buff elves that run across the field and punch casters to death, occasionally stopping to hadouken stray robots.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

mr. stefan posted:

Allow me to present an argument to play Retribution:

Your standard magic users are angry buff elves that run across the field and punch casters to death, occasionally stopping to hadouken stray robots.

This is a good post.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Play Cyriss, make CoC jokes constantly. Double down when talking about your CoC's P+S!

The mark of a good Warmahordes player is not giggling at P+S. This means I will never be a good Warmahordes player.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm trying to finish off my pair of magnetized heavys (well one heavy kit and the carnivean from the 2-player box), and I wanted some input. I'm alright with the skin, but I'm not sure what i want to do with the armor. It took me forever to come up with something passable for the carapace, now I'm not sure whether I should matte varnish it or gloss varnish it - thoughts?

Flash

No-Flash

EDIT: I'm talking about varnish on the carapace specifically

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 16, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

EDIT in response to your edit: I still think matte is the way to go. It looks great by the way!

I would use matte varnish. Gloss varnish applied all over will make him look like he's encased in amber. If you want to use some gloss varnish, I would apply it in strategic areas that you want to look gross and liquidy.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 16, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I agree. Gloss varnish looks pretty bad on that kind of stuff in my opinion. That being said, if you want a safe way to try it, you can buy brush-on gloss varnish, apply it to some armor plates, and then see if you like it. If not, you can always just do a matte spray over it and that will eliminate the glossy look.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I guess you could also try a Satin varnish (which is kind of half way between gloss and matte) and see how that looks.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Posting some rangers from the oath thread
Also I'm totally stealing the green ghostly risen trick from a few pages ago. Thanks for the inspiration!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Calico Noose posted:

This is the yardstick I use for war game fluff and Cryx haven't had their backstory changed 4 times nor has the world randomly changed its fluff to suit the sales deparment, so I think they're doing pretty well.

...and the best part is that the Rhulic haven't been eaten by the Cryx, only to be retconned out of existence entirely a few years later.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Got two games with Trolls against Khador today. Won both with pGrim and pGrissel which was kind of a surprise, usually my only fighting chance is throwing eDoom with Rok and Mulg and seeing if I can kill enough bodies with them. First game he had that eIrusk and 20 IFP. :suicide: I know its the usual thing to do with him but it never ceases to make me have doubts from the get go. I think they were black dragons or something I can never tell what khador tosses out. Long story short on his turn before he would charge and wreck me he left an opening that Grim shot him through did 10 damage, hit him with marked for death then the bomber tosses a explosion into his face. The one second he left me an opening. He looked so disappointed. I never used the bomber before. I think he'll be in my lists frequently now.

The second game he took pButcher against pGrissel. So default strat is now win by scenario with incursion. Managed to halt his line out of charge/run range to contest with a good rift placement and her feat. Jammed a buffed unit of warders off the kriel stone and max with UA fennblades and sat on flags for a few turns. First time I have been able to win without doing a hail mary EBDT charge onto him. I forgot how fun Grissel is, and why I put her down for so long. Calamity rocks. Not sure how much or if eGrissel is better then the other. She looks fun with inhospitable ground and her yells. I just hate winning by scenario. It feels so dirty.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 16, 2014

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

WAR FOOT posted:

Play Cyriss, make CoC jokes constantly. Double down when talking about your CoC's P+S!

The mark of a good Warmahordes player is not giggling at P+S. This means I will never be a good Warmahordes player.

By this standard I'll never be good around you, then.

Cyriss is way sweet and fun to play, but I typically hesitate to recommend it as your first faction. Not because there's a skill curve in them (there is,) but the fact is there is one model they haven't released yet, and that may very well be it. Forever. The other factions will keep getting sweet stuff book after book, but Convergence is not guaranteed to ever get another model in the line.

Also, if you like gators, play Skorne. They run Gatormen better than Gatormen do.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The fact that the unreleased model is the gigantic phallic symbol with it's three balls does not make it easier to maintain my maturity level when I get to say "Now that it's in position my battle CoC is going to spray all over your guys"

Or

"Do I want to pump out more, fire off a stronger load or more accurately get it all over?"

I am a giant man child.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I am a giant man child.

We are all giant man-children. We play with little toy soldiers that do war with other little toy soldiers.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think you'll find that my Tactical man dolls are a sign of my incredible maturity and intellect, furthermore

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Mt. ORourke posted:

Posting some rangers from the oath thread
Also I'm totally stealing the green ghostly risen trick from a few pages ago. Thanks for the inspiration!

These are great! I really dig the capes.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

pSorcha (-6)
Juggernaut (7)

This is a really good list for 15 points.

If you end up buying the Khador box and want the easiest jump to 15 possible, pick up Widowmakers. For 4 points they are excellent and like the Winter Guard can work well in a ton of lists. I use them anytime I have 4 points to spare.

Khador is, again, typically a single-jack faction. The bright side is we have a lot of excellent jacks to be that single jack depending on who your caster is (more on that if you decide to jump in), and the Juggernaut that comes in the Battleforce box is a very good catch-all.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

For_Great_Justice posted:

First game he had that eIrusk and 20 IFP. :suicide:

This is a list that really doesn't want to see pGrissel. Cacophany is model/unit for order denial, so you can basically lock Iron fangs out of charging or shield walling, and they're at lot less scary as a unit of 13/14 guys with sticks.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

mp5 posted:

This is a really good list for 15 points.

If you end up buying the Khador box and want the easiest jump to 15 possible, pick up Widowmakers. For 4 points they are excellent and like the Winter Guard can work well in a ton of lists. I use them anytime I have 4 points to spare.

I never understand why people recommend Widowmakers at 15 points. You get 4 shots that will only do a point of damage if the target has decent armor. Maybe 2 rounds of shooting before the enemy gets to you, and then it's only 4 easily-killed bodies. I'm sure they're great at other point levels, but I feel like Greylords or min WG would be a better low point option.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Alright, I've made a decision re: choosing a faction.

Imperial Russia is cool and all, and I might end up making something with them down the line, but the lure of giant blind dragons and frozen evil elves was too much.

Everblight like a mofucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Alright, I've made a decision re: choosing a faction.

Imperial Russia is cool and all, and I might end up making something with them down the line, but the lure of giant blind dragons and frozen evil elves was too much.

Everblight like a mofucker.

Where we're going you won't need eyes to see, or rules to pay attention to.

• Locked thread