Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

skipdogg posted:

Something in your environment is dicked up. Start looking at log files. We use SCCM to deploy those same files across 4000 workstations, in over a dozen sites, on 5 different continents and run into no issues at all.

Client logs just show "waiting to download", server logs show successful replications. Not that I'm really sure which of the 10,000 log files I should be looking at.

It works for a period of time, and nothing changes between then and when it stops working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Serfer posted:

Client logs just show "waiting to download", server logs show successful replications. Not that I'm really sure which of the 10,000 log files I should be looking at.

It works for a period of time, and nothing changes between then and when it stops working

Check your content validation. Possibly something is hosing up the content on the DP and the DP validates the content then refuses to serve up invalid content? Actually just checking Monitoring -> Distribution Status -> Content Status for the applications should show any validation or content distribution issues. Heck if you;re not doing content validation perhaps turn it on and see what's up.

Check boundaries possibly? Check the System Management container to make sure there's no left over boundary objects from any old sites or develoment/test environments.

Does it quit wholesale or only for specific client machines?

To echo skipdog, I've worked in environments with upwards of 10k endpoints distributing thousands of different apps, plus patches and OS deployments and Config Manager works. It CAN be rather particular about things and take a little fiddling with to get everything working and tuned properly though. In the end, it's certainly worth the time and effort.

Zaepho fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 15, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
contenttransfermanager.log and clientlocation.log is what you probably want to be looking in if the content status is all green in the SCCM console but the clients aren't getting their stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think we have one guy who's a full time "messaging admin" for about 2000 users (though he does other things), but he's also in charge of archiving to meet legal requirements, applying phishing filtration etc. Making some guesses on his salary and how much time he spends administrating Exchange, that comes out to about $15/user/year

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Does anyone here use System Center Operations Manager? We're licensed for the entire System Center suite, and I got VMM and DPM working, but Ops Manager is giving me fits.

I have it installed, but that's about where the success ends. I can get it to deploy the agent, and the agent installs on the client, but it never shows up in Ops Manager as successfully installed. There are no errors in event viewer on either computer, it just doesn't work. I've also tried manually installing the agent, but that never shows up anywhere. I have domain admin rights, the firewalls on both computers are off, but it just doesn't work.

I've tried to google it, but there doesn't seem to be any solutions because there apparently isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. How do I troubleshoot this?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

lol internet. posted:

We have a couple machines which were licensed for Windows 8.1. There's no Windows 7 OEM license sticker or anything on it but does it actually have downgrade rights?

Don't mind the other guy. Pro versions of Windows come with downgrade rights, if you have media - Microsoft won't provide you with any. If the machines are non-Pro 8.1, you'll need to buy Pro full stop. Non-pro versions aren't even eligible for volume licensing.

If you already have Windows 7 volume media through a previous volume license purchase of 7, 8, or 8.1, you have reimaging rights to 7 for any machine that has an OEM Pro license for 7, 8, or 8.1. No software assurance is necessary.

If you don't it's absolutely worth it to get at least one copy of Windows through volume licensing, just to be able to deploy and KMS activate Windows.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

The Diddler posted:

Does anyone here use System Center Operations Manager? We're licensed for the entire System Center suite, and I got VMM and DPM working, but Ops Manager is giving me fits.

I have it installed, but that's about where the success ends. I can get it to deploy the agent, and the agent installs on the client, but it never shows up in Ops Manager as successfully installed. There are no errors in event viewer on either computer, it just doesn't work. I've also tried manually installing the agent, but that never shows up anywhere. I have domain admin rights, the firewalls on both computers are off, but it just doesn't work.

I've tried to google it, but there doesn't seem to be any solutions because there apparently isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. How do I troubleshoot this?

Do you get a grey agent or does it not even show in the list at all?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Da Mott Man posted:

Do you get a grey agent or does it not even show in the list at all?

The manual agent install never shows up. The push install sits in pending, but never "finishes" so I can't approve it.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Zaepho posted:

Check your content validation. Possibly something is hosing up the content on the DP and the DP validates the content then refuses to serve up invalid content? Actually just checking Monitoring -> Distribution Status -> Content Status for the applications should show any validation or content distribution issues. Heck if you;re not doing content validation perhaps turn it on and see what's up.

Check boundaries possibly? Check the System Management container to make sure there's no left over boundary objects from any old sites or develoment/test environments.

Does it quit wholesale or only for specific client machines?

To echo skipdog, I've worked in environments with upwards of 10k endpoints distributing thousands of different apps, plus patches and OS deployments and Config Manager works. It CAN be rather particular about things and take a little fiddling with to get everything working and tuned properly though. In the end, it's certainly worth the time and effort.
I have content validation on for the main distribution point, but I've turned it on for the others as well. Content Status is red, but not because it's complaining about the packages having issues, but because it says it can't find/access some update directories, which has been an ongoing issue as well (need to go through and undeploy/redeploy the updates that aren't working, again).

Boundaries need to be fixed, but not because there's old or overlapping boundaries, but because my boss/old coworker had them all set as IP boundaries, when it should just use the AD sites. Some areas (like hardware VPN users) aren't covered under any boundary currently. Are the multiple places where boundaries are defined? Because I only see them in one place.

It appears to quit wholesale, failing to download for anyone in any location. A machine that had worked the day before, might have the machine next to it fail to download the next day.

peak debt posted:

contenttransfermanager.log and clientlocation.log is what you probably want to be looking in if the content status is all green in the SCCM console but the clients aren't getting their stuff.
I'll check those today, although they're probably full of the aforementioned update errors instead of anything to do with the problem applications.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

skipdogg posted:

There are literally zero reasons not to outsource email for 7 people.

Been thinking the same, unfortunately my boss doesn't agree. He doesn't like the idea of having Google or another international company have control of our data. We're a Canadian company that does a lot of work with law enforcement with potentially sensitive data so his resistance is somewhat understandable. I'll definitely look around for a good Canadian hosting service though

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

The Diddler posted:

The manual agent install never shows up. The push install sits in pending, but never "finishes" so I can't approve it.

This is usually a network communication problem. This guide is a bit out of date but still should work.

After verifying that the SPN is correctly registered, I would log into the server that you installed the agent to, uninstall, make sure to clean up the folder that it installed to then try to push the agent again.

I have a love/hate relationship with SCOM. Most of the time it is a wonderful and powerful tool and sometimes it can be a cruel and unforgiving piece of poo poo when it doesn't work right.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 16, 2014

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Serfer posted:

I'll check those today, although they're probably full of the aforementioned update errors instead of anything to do with the problem applications.
Nothing in the contenttransfermanager log, and location is being set correctly.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't have SCCM or a VL, but I need to setup a set of machines for kiosk mode(bought deep-freeze) and dumb it down for our employees so their shortcuts/favorites/drives all work. Also these are not part of domain so no GPO unless I can use the local policy.

I used audit mode, setup the profile exactly the way I want it and then when I exit audit mode, none of the new users on the machine have the changes I made. Next I read I need an unattend file to copy the profile correctly. Does this sound right? I haven't done Windows Desktop imaging since 2001, so treat me like an idiot. As much as I want to spend my weekend setting up AIK/MDT for the first time, is there a generic tiny unattend file I can use for this process? I don't mind handing the OOBE wizard myself, I just want this default profile change.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Oh man, someone actually did the nightmare that every SCCM administrator has had:

http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/ (Start at the bottom.)

Gotta hit the SCCM servers for the sake of being thorough.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's pretty bad, are you aware of the one that happened to an Australian bank?

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/08/06/sccm-task-sequence-blew-up-australias-commbank/

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

skipdogg posted:

That's pretty bad, are you aware of the one that happened to an Australian bank?

http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2012/08/06/sccm-task-sequence-blew-up-australias-commbank/

What the hell. I started reading that thinking it explained why the entire Commbank network (EFTPOS, Online Banking, ATMs, Branch computers etc) went down a couple of weeks back. This was back in 2012? Wonder what caused it this time?

Demie
Apr 2, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

I used audit mode, setup the profile exactly the way I want it and then when I exit audit mode, none of the new users on the machine have the changes I made. Next I read I need an unattend file to copy the profile correctly. Does this sound right? I haven't done Windows Desktop imaging since 2001, so treat me like an idiot. As much as I want to spend my weekend setting up AIK/MDT for the first time, is there a generic tiny unattend file I can use for this process? I don't mind handing the OOBE wizard myself, I just want this default profile change.

If you're coming from 2001, you won't have fun with this. Pretty much everything changed when Vista came out and you're not going to breeze through it.

What you hear is true. The Sysprep action drops all of the user profiles from the PC that you're capturing an image from, unless you set copyprofile=true in the unattend file. With that set, it will instead copy the local Administrator account's profile into the default user profile - so all users get whatever you tweaked as admin. Do youself a favor and make the unattend.xml file with WSIM, shortcuts tend to backfire with Windows deployment and the unattend file is a good example.

Also... good luck with Deep Freeze. I have integrated it into a public access kiosk build that's deployed with SCCM. It was not fun. DF was built for XP and it shows. I intend to eliminate it from my builds in the future, there's actually lots of alternatives out there.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Halo14 posted:

What the hell. I started reading that thinking it explained why the entire Commbank network (EFTPOS, Online Banking, ATMs, Branch computers etc) went down a couple of weeks back. This was back in 2012? Wonder what caused it this time?

So having developed some experience with SMS 2003, SCCM 2007 and LANDesk, I read through both of the stories (Emory Library and CommBank). The initial thought I had in response was "Okay, I could understand how workstations would be accidentally formatted, but how does one accidentally format the SCCM server as well?". That's when I read the CommBank article and thought "Oh. Now I see how that would happen."

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I just try to avoid doing mandatory reformats all together unless completely necessary.

I had an issue where my predecessor who was doing manual 1:1 ghost images instead of SCCM OSD because he didn't know how to. Anyways he got fired like a month after I started, I took over SCCM, and sooner or later after a couple automatic OSD reformats of the wrong system, I realized the ghosted machines by my predecessor all had the same SCCM GUID.

Luckily it didn't happen to any execs.

I also had a collection which had a mandatory OSD advertisement labeled ## WIN7X64 MANDATORY ## and a co-op student on his first or second day decided to drop someones computer into it.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
The only semi serious issue I've ran into with SCCM was a desktop guy deciding to click delete resources on the All Systems collection.

A quick reevaluation of permissions ("told you this would happen, can I restrict them now?") and a few days later all our systems were back.

He was quite sheepish when he came over and told me what he had done.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I always deleted the required deployment in the morning when we did our Windows XP to 7 upgrade, and recreated it once the next office came up. Everything else seemed a bit like leaving a loaded gun lying around.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Da Mott Man posted:

This is usually a network communication problem. This guide is a bit out of date but still should work.

After verifying that the SPN is correctly registered, I would log into the server that you installed the agent to, uninstall, make sure to clean up the folder that it installed to then try to push the agent again.

I have a love/hate relationship with SCOM. Most of the time it is a wonderful and powerful tool and sometimes it can be a cruel and unforgiving piece of poo poo when it doesn't work right.

When I run "setspn -L {opsmanager}", I get an "Failed to bind to DC of domain". I'm in a school district with AD hosted by the state, I assume this error is because my user account doesn't have write access to AD, correct?

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm working on configuring a RDS server running off of 2012 R2. Anyone have any input on whether to use folder redirection or user profile disks? Looks like UPD's create a virtual hard disk in the directory you specify. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this limits flexibility, doesn't it? I'd prefer users being able to access the files on their desktop/documents folders through their home drive.

Any input on minimizing profile sizes? It looks like fresh profiles are 100-200mb which seems inflated.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with blacklisting specific words from the password complexity GPO? I did a quick Google search and it looks like I need to mess around with a custom .dll file or some poo poo. We have users that are literally using passwords like "CompanyName123" and other easily guessable passwords and I want to block this.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

The Diddler posted:

When I run "setspn -L {opsmanager}", I get an "Failed to bind to DC of domain". I'm in a school district with AD hosted by the state, I assume this error is because my user account doesn't have write access to AD, correct?

That would be correct and would also make sense why the install failed to set the SPN because the service account or system account(depending on your choice during installation) would need it as well.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 21, 2014

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I need a web-based product for our clients to upload documents to. Nothing too complicated, just a page with a form and an upload box with some security behind it (so people cant upload goddamn cryptolocker). Something we could host ourselves on IIS would be convenient but not necessary.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sharepoint?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Gyshall posted:

Sharepoint?

Stockpile alcohol long with it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Alternative reasons to stockpile alcohol:

Exchange
Lotus
Vendors
Sales
HR
Accounting
Your Boss
Your Coworkers
Mondays
Getting out of bed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Riso posted:

Alternative reasons to stockpile alcohol:

Exchange
Lotus
Vendors
Sales
HR
Accounting
Your Boss
Your Coworkers
Mondays
Getting out of bed

BlackBerry Enterprise Service.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone here use HP servers? We are currently using Dell which we've never had any issues with except when it actually comes time to buy Dell hardware. We've gone through like 10 Dell reps in 5 years, each one taking several business days to respond to us which usually leads to getting perfect quotes a two-week ordeal. On the other hand, our CDW rep who deals mostly with HP is wonderful and is near instant contact. We're considering switching to HP hardware for this reason alone. Anyone have any comments regarding the two? The only downside to HP that I know of is their brutally awful website and their 100 model loving lineup, I never know how to choose hardware.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kiwid posted:

Anyone here use HP servers? We are currently using Dell which we've never had any issues with except when it actually comes time to buy Dell hardware. We've gone through like 10 Dell reps in 5 years, each one taking several business days to respond to us which usually leads to getting perfect quotes a two-week ordeal. On the other hand, our CDW rep who deals mostly with HP is wonderful and is near instant contact. We're considering switching to HP hardware for this reason alone. Anyone have any comments regarding the two? The only downside to HP that I know of is their brutally awful website and their 100 model loving lineup, I never know how to choose hardware.

We're starting to move to Dell from IBM ourselves, haven't seen an HP server in years. Is the support or lack thereof your biggest issue with Dell?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

kiwid posted:

I've switched but I'm still running mostly Dell.

I just deal with CDW, there's a bit of a markup but they're fast and they know what my previous order was so I don't have to bother with checking the spreadsheet.

No complaints so far.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

We're starting to move to Dell from IBM ourselves, haven't seen an HP server in years. Is the support or lack thereof your biggest issue with Dell?

Not so much the support, just trying to get quotes from our Dell reps is the biggest issue. The process usually goes like this: Request quote > 1 business day later > Receive Quote > Modify Quote > 2 business days later > Receive incorrectly modified quote > Note errors > 2 business days later > Get quote. If you add any complexity at all then it get's even worse. Maybe we're just not a big enough client for them to assign a better rep, I don't know, it's just a huge wake up call when our CDW rep replies within minutes.

edit: like it's at a point where we'd rather just buy off the website, except we can't always configure everything we want from the website.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 21, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're an HP shop and I love their servers. I deal with a VAR that's our primary guy on the account. Quotes take a day or so to come back as HP moved their quote team from the US to Costa Rica or Mexico or something, but I really like their kit.

We stick to the ProLiant series of machines. Basically DL360 or DL380. DL360 is a 1U server, the 380 is the 2U box.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My company resells HP almost exclusively for servers. Really happy with them, no real complaints. HP support is pretty good if you are a partner level with them, and pretty good even if you're not.

Dell, on the other hand, loving sucks dick. I have two servers I've been waiting on the ~~ "Dell Compatible" ~~~ part to be shipped for about a month now. The part is just a SAS hard drive.

HP is usually on point with their part deliveries.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've resorted to third party sites on ebay to get replacement parts for Dell because they either take way too long or are obscenely expensive.

Dell is awful.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

kiwid posted:

edit: like it's at a point where we'd rather just buy off the website, except we can't always configure everything we want from the website.

What kind of things can't you configure? We have a premier login which covers nearly everything, I can buy a complete SAN without having a single conversation with sales. It's nice. HP's network of VAR's and partners and other things is the reason I don't like them much, Dell is just Dell, it's simpler.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

LmaoTheKid posted:

I've resorted to third party sites on ebay to get replacement parts for Dell because they either take way too long or are obscenely expensive.

Dell is awful.

We've done this for hard drives. We've had RAID arrays sit in degraded states for weeks because Dell was so slow to get us a drive replacement for some out of warranty servers. And of course, they don't actually quote you the hard drive replacement, instead they quote you a 1 year renewal on the warranty at an obscene cost and the hard drive becomes "free replacement under warranty". I have a feeling our CDW rep could have us an HP drive in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

sanchez posted:

What kind of things can't you configure? We have a premier login which covers nearly everything, I can buy a complete SAN without having a single conversation with sales. It's nice.

Well for example, we were looking at the Dell Precision T3610's (for the RAID-1 motherboard) and we can't configure additional hard drives.